Buy/Sell - SI swimsuit issue. Have we gone too far in the fight against body shaming?

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I'd hit that in a heartbeat. Just don't have the equipment to excavate that hole though. Lots to work through.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
It’s funny that I passed a truck on the way to work today with a “FUPA” sticker on the back. It looked like a PUMA logo with the cat jumping over the letters except underneath it read “good cat is just a lift away”

That girl is big, but I wouldn’t kick her out of the bed unless she wanted to 17 on the floor.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
We??? Of course not. "We" appreciate IMPP threads because "we" recognize he has better taste and is much more honest about female beauty than modern progressives and the women in those awesome threads seem perfectly happy with themselves. Most men don't need Hollywood or model thin women. Modelling agencies are run by women and gay men anyway, but women seem to think it's men doing most of the body shaming. It isn't. I'm pretty sure Hollywood isn't run by conservative Southern men either. Progressive women can't be honest about what men want nor are they honest about who actually sets absurd standards of thinness for women. And they aren't honest about how unhealthy obesity is.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I’m not a big fan of everything on the Ichiban buffet but I do really like some of it.

I’d imagine as long as people can just turn the page and find a normal SI girl, they will keep buying it.
Like this? I like sirloin, but I'd rather have Oscar Filet.

heidi-klum-bikini-photos.jpeg

il_fullxfull.2903022583_tfy9.jpg

images.jpeg

MTY5MjQzNDMyNDU4MDAzNzQ1.jpeg

wdawg44

Jun 4, 2014
It would help if some of those simple sugars and carbs spread out more evenly ( more proportionate jugs), but I would still totally hit that and I believe there are some liars on this board. I haven't looked at an SI since the 90's but she does not deserve to be in a swimsuit issue .

wdawg44

Jun 4, 2014
It’s funny that I passed a truck on the way to work today with a “FUPA” sticker on the back. It looked like a PUMA logo with the cat jumping over the letters except underneath it read “good cat is just a lift away”

That girl is big, but I wouldn’t kick her out of the bed unless she wanted to 17 on the floor.
🤣I've seen that truck! Agree on the lady.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Real talk…

When’s the last time anybody here actually picked up and flipped through the SI Swimsuit issue?

I don’t know if I have since maybe early 2000’s.
This is the real answer as to why they are doing this. Swimsuit issue is irrelevant now because si quality content is available everywhere. If they just put a hot model on the front, nobody even knows anymore than if they know that a particular instagram Thot has put up a new post.
But put a far chick on the cover that regular guys, even amongst the masses of lardasses known as sps, can honestly claim they’d pass on, and at least people talk about it.

She’s actually less fat than the one from last year (who I think we also discussed here?). She was actually morbidly obese. This girl is just obese.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Maybe I am weird, but I prefer the big girls. I would absolutely go HAM for a chance at that.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
She’s not even the worse person they put on the cover this year either. They put several.
1688131347958.jpeg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Reactions: Darryl Steight

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

Buy/Sell - SI swimsuit issue. Have we gone too far in the fight against body shaming?​

Buy.
But I really am not going to comment on this specific model because the body shaming/body positivity movement is what I care about more.

I am 100% on board with not body shaming. To body shame is straight 17ed up. It crushes people's identity, isolates them, and makes them feel worthless. No, this isnt what happens to everyone that is body shamed, but yes it is what happens to many.

I am also 100% on board with more inclusive sizing. Sure, a store can do whatever the 17 it wants and sell to only a select market based on restricted size options, but it rarely works out for them in the end. A&F in the 90s/00s is a fantastic example- their explicit and implicit size policies led them to basically be totally irrelevant.
Brands that have recognized reality and are marketing to who their customers are rather than who their customers wish they were is a smart move.

I am 0% on board with claiming obesity is something to be proud of. Nobody should be ashamed, but its really 17ing stupid to be proud of obesity. The thing is, all the fat shamers caused this. Like most things, its a pendulum and the pendulum swung away from the dbags having power. But now, the pendulum has swung too far the other way and the group that has been ignored/bullied/marginalized for years now has a voice and they are pushing an equally awful narrative- that obesity is something to celebrate.

Body positivity is appreciating and loving attributes you have- strong legs, or good face, or curves. Cool- thats awesome.
But pushing an agenda where obesity is normalized to the point of being celebrated is dangerous for us as a society. It will kill people earlier and cost us all more in medical care.

Reactions: HarveyDogMan

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Buy.
But I really am not going to comment on this specific model because the body shaming/body positivity movement is what I care about more.

I am 100% on board with not body shaming. To body shame is straight 17ed up. It crushes people's identity, isolates them, and makes them feel worthless. No, this isnt what happens to everyone that is body shamed, but yes it is what happens to many.
I agree that 'body shaming' is bad. But I don't think this is that.

I have never shamed anyone in real life. It's not something I would do. There are a lot of large people walking around, but that's just life. I usually don't think twice about it. And you can't blame stores for stocking their shelves with XL, XXL, XXXXXXL - that's capitalism, you have to offer what people are buying. No issues.

But the cover of the SI swimsuit issue is a different deal to me. It's not like she's a bigger girl who just wanted to have a quiet meal at the buffet and some stranger comes up and calls her a pig. I'd fight that person with her. That's not what this is. This is SI using her to virtue signal, and it's a plus sized model wearing a pretty small bikini and getting paid for it. There's no possible way this girl should be "shamed" by anything that's said after being on the cover of a magazine. If I go to the pool this weekend, I will wear a normal sized swim shorts and a shirt most of the time I'm out of the water. If I choose to strip down to a banana hammock and do a cannonball off the high dive... well, people might laugh or make comments. That's my choice. (I haven't decided which way I'm going to play it for the weekend yet.)

Again, it's Face Tattoo Syndrome. SI chose to put this girl on the cover. The model chose to accept the job. They both made choices. So they should be ready for responses, good and bad.

Reactions: patdog

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
They've been putting heavier women in the SI Swimsuit Issue for like 10 years. Have some of yall just not been paying attention?

ETA: 2016 cover:

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
They've been putting heavier women in the SI Swimsuit Issue for like 10 years. Have some of yall just not been paying attention?

ETA: 2016 cover:
Ain't a got damn thing wrong with some Ashley Graham.

But to each their own. As a general rule, we should never discourage any woman from wearing as little clothing as possible. If she's not your cup of tea, you have a neck, use it and look the other way and let others enjoy.

patdog

May 28, 2007

I have never shamed anyone in real life. It's not something I would do. There are a lot of large people walking around, but that's just life. I usually don't think twice about it. And you can't blame stores for stocking their shelves with XL, XXL, XXXXXXL - that's capitalism, you have to offer what people are buying. No issues.

But the cover of the SI swimsuit issue is a different deal to me. It's not like she's a bigger girl who just wanted to have a quiet meal at the buffet and some stranger comes up and calls her a pig. I'd fight that person with her. That's not what this is. This is SI using her to virtue signal, and it's a plus sized model wearing a pretty small bikini and getting paid for it. There's no possible way this girl should be "shamed" by anything that's said after being on the cover of a magazine. If I go to the pool this weekend, I will wear a normal sized swim shorts and a shirt most of the time I'm out of the water. If I choose to strip down to a banana hammock and do a cannonball off the high dive... well, people might laugh or make comments. That's my choice. (I haven't decided which way I'm going to play it for the weekend yet.)

Again, it's Face Tattoo Syndrome. SI chose to put this girl on the cover. The model chose to accept the job. They both made choices. So they should be ready for responses, good and bad.
Nailed it. They’re putting that out there begging for comments so they can cry, “body shaming.”

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

My first full sentence in the post you quoted says I am not commenting on the specific model and my comments are instead about the body shaming/body positivity movement.

I agree that this example and the general movement are different.

Reactions: Darryl Steight
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login