Buying meat online

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Where do I need to start looking? My best bet may be to stick with Sams since my local grocer is stupid high, but I’m wondering if there are places online that aren’t as effected by the Wuhan prices. I thought I’d read to try Snake River Farms on here before, but it’s all ‘American’ wagyu, whatever that is.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
SRF is crazy expensive, but really good. American wagyu is about 30 years of breeding traditional Japanese "wagyu" (cows) with Angus cattle. The result is wagyu marbling with better beef flavors of Angus. Cheap it is not.

I can't imagine any online beef company having better pricing than you can get local. It's just expensive everywhere. I saw a brisket for $143 at Albertsons yesterday. I have been buying a lot of pork chops lately for the better value.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Brisket is stupid high. We have been eating more pork and chicken thighs because they’re the cheapest in the store. Chicken thighs are the best tasting part of a chicken anyway so it’s a win win there.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
Haven’t ordered anything other than crab legs from Horseshoe Farms. They have the biggest snow crab legs I’ve found around here. Not sure what their other meats are like.

Was going to add a link but their online store is currently down for some reason.

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
Everything is a whole lot higher right now.
Question is will it come back down to more manageable consumer pricing ?
I certainly hope so because I’m tired of going to the grocery store and paying $200.00 and don’t even have a buggy full of groceries. Sometimes it’s $250.00 and that’s not just once a month and I’m not buying $30.00 bottles of wine, cases of beer or 4 filet mignon’s every time I go.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Shipping is the deal killer. That alone keeps me tied to my local butcher.

UncleChuck

Aug 6, 2021
Where do I need to start looking? My best bet may be to stick with Sams since my local grocer is stupid high, but I’m wondering if there are places online that aren’t as effected by the Wuhan prices. I thought I’d read to try Snake River Farms on here before, but it’s all ‘American’ wagyu, whatever that is.

I’ve heard good things about Butcher Box and wild fork. BB seems high priced to me, although there is a deal to get free bacon for life. Both have free shipping over minimum orders.

I am about to place order on Wild Fork I think. They have the high end stuff but also can get ribeyes for decent price. Chicken beats my local usual Kroger prices too.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
I just went to a local farmer and ordered a whole cow to be butchered. Now I have a freezer full of meat and protected from empty shelves and price increases. Plus it's all local and 100% grass fed beef.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
What do you end up with yield wise when you do that?

It varies how you get it processed but I got around 104lbs of ground beef, about 30 packs of steaks split between filet, ribeye, sirloin, and strip. Then probably 38 or so roasts of various types and two briskets. Then about 14 packs of stew meat and short ribs. I think it came out to about 700lbs of meat.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Good gravy Burner... 700 lbs? Are you concerned about the walls of your deep freezer exploding from all that weight?

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Grilled chicken quarters are still one of my family’s favorites. Walmart sometimes has the bags with 6-7 in them for under $10, and with a little cavendars, crisped skin over high indirect heat, and another 45 minutes after flipping, man… good eating

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
How long will it take you to eat all of that?

I have no idea. First time I've done it. I wanted to have a stock of meat and not have to worry about low inventory and high prices in a store. I just picked it up this week. I haven't eaten any of it, but I gave my mom a sirloin tip roast and she said it was the best she's ever eaten.

fishwater99

Jun 4, 2007
I have no idea. First time I've done it. I wanted to have a stock of meat and not have to worry about low inventory and high prices in a store. I just picked it up this week. I haven't eaten any of it, but I gave my mom a sirloin tip roast and she said it was the best she's ever eaten.

Nice.
I’ll split half a cow with someone once but it wasn’t 700 pounds and it lasted us a long time even after giving a lot of me away.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Nice.
I’ll split half a cow with someone once but it wasn’t 700 pounds and it lasted us a long time even after giving a lot of me away.

It may not have been that much. I'm really not sure. I was charged $4.25/lbs hanging weight. My total bill was just under 3k but I doubt 100% of hanging weight translates to meat in the freezer. But hanging weight was right at 700lbs.

msu4ever

Aug 22, 2012
It may not have been that much. I'm really not sure. I was charged $4.25/lbs hanging weight. My total bill was just under 3k but I doubt 100% of hanging weight translates to meat in the freezer. But hanging weight was right at 700lbs.

High Hope Farm near West Point does a great job of grass finishing. Many “share” options for purchases and there are others in the area who are growing their businesses. Sansing’s in Maben does a good job of processing and has good beef and farm raised pork at good prices. They generally have a wait list.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007

Do you have an alarm on your freezer for power outage or temp rising over a certain level? Worth the money. I lost a freezer once and it had two deer, three turkeys, some pheasant, and a bunch of store bought meat and other stuff. It was like coming home to a dead body in the garage after a week long trip.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I have one that’s connected to my wifi. If it loses power it sends a signal through an app to my phone

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
For chicken thighs I usually put a little Cavendars and Killer Hogs BBQ rub on them and grill them about 6 minutes a side. They’re devoured in minutes.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
Do you have an alarm on your freezer for power outage or temp rising over a certain level? Worth the money.

I have had a freezer alarm for about 15 years. I paid about $12 for it on amazon. It's not very loud but my freezer is in area of high traffic by the carport door so it would be heard pretty quickly when/if it goes off. Link to the on I have but there are a lot of inexpensive options on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/CDN-TA20-Vis...42885876&sprefix=freezer+alarm,aps,106&sr=8-5

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008
On SRF, you can click the Double R ranch logo at the top. That switches to all their prime grades

Their wagyu is the tits though

Jrobb

May 26, 2020

I don’t know where you live but I will have 6 steers ready to butcher in may/June. That’s the way to go. Buy a half steer or split one with someone. Best beef you will ever eat

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Do you have an alarm on your freezer for power outage or temp rising over a certain level? Worth the money. I lost a freezer once and it had two deer, three turkeys, some pheasant, and a bunch of store bought meat and other stuff. It was like coming home to a dead body in the garage after a week long trip.

I don't but my freezer is brand new. Less than six months old. Still may invest in one, though.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I remember when money was tight in college and I had to make $20 last 2 weeks or so until my GI bill payment came in.. While many poor college kids live off ramen, that's not how we rolled in Starkville.

I bought chicken quarters at Mac's meat market for $0.25 a pound in the early 2000's. Used the girl's in the apartment next door's gas grill and barbecued or blackened those suckers. They provided the sides and drinks.

It was cheaper to live off chicken quarters than ramen noodles and as DeSoto says, it's the best part of the chicken. The girls had no clue I was feeding everyone chicken for less than a dollar. And I took all the leftovers home.

LocalBeachBum

Dec 8, 2021
I buy bacon and brats from Nueskes.com. Their cherrywood smoked bacon is some of the best I’ve ever tasted.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I don't know if I've ever purchased a pack of ground beef, been eating ground deer for as long as I can remember. The old joke was, "deer meat is the most expensive thing you'll eat," now it seems economical.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
I don't but my freezer is brand new. Less than six months old. Still may invest in one, though.

It’s worth the money. Mine was new as well. Neighbor kids plugged an electric mower into my outside plug that was on the same power as my freezer and tripped it.

I duct taped it shut and took it to the dump.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
I don't know if I've ever purchased a pack of ground beef, been eating ground deer for as long as I can remember. The old joke was, "deer meat is the most expensive thing you'll eat," now it seems economical.

I've tried to like deer burger and just can't. I've tried several versions and the game taste just doesn't leave. I can fry deer meat or grill it and eliminate it, but I can't in the burger.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I've tried to like deer burger and just can't. I've tried several versions and the game taste just doesn't leave. I can fry deer meat or grill it and eliminate it, but I can't in the burger.

Are you grinding it yourself or having a processor do it? Either way add more fat, 20% is the standard, but try increasing it to 30. Better to cook on the stove (coved) than on the grill (it'll dry out quickly). I did smoke some deer burgers the other day and they turned out awesome

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Cavendars is dang good on just about anything, but it and chicken are an absolute marriage made in heaven. It kills me to know that I only just discovered it about 6-7 years ago

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I like to use ground deer meat as an ingredient like tacos, chili, spaghetti, etc but not really big on actual burgers.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login