BWI Film Club: New Movie Trailers…

Catch1lion

Oct 12, 2021
Didn't see this mentioned, but thought it was an interesting historical fiction movie, set in France in WWII. Netflix. The book is supposed to be much better. I ordered that for a friend for Christmas. If you like the story, it reminds me of the Paris Architect Book which I found to be very intriguing.

Reactions: Midnighter

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Didn't see this mentioned, but thought it was an interesting historical fiction movie, set in France in WWII. Netflix. The book is supposed to be much better. I ordered that for a friend for Christmas. If you like the story, it reminds me of the Paris Architect Book which I found to be very intriguing.

I watched it, it was well worth watching. I don’t get why it hits 23% on the Tomatometer.

Catch1lion

Oct 12, 2021
I watched it, it was well worth watching. I don’t get why it hits 23% on the Tomatometer.
I agree LJ. I thought parts were riveting. My father was in the Army. I was born on a post in France and later did two years of HS on a base in Germany. As a result, I have a high level of interest in WWII. However, I thought the story is strong enough to transcend history buffs but IDK.

Reactions: Nitwit and LionJim

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Finally got around to watching David Fincher's 'The Killer' on Netflix starring Michael Fassbender. If you are a fan of Fincher and Fassbender (and Trent Reznor/Atticus Ross scores along with music from The Smiths), you will love this. It's an interesting film - on first pass reminded me of American Psycho if Patrick Bateman were an assassin for hire instead of a wall street wonk. The film is almost entirely subjective - you are literally in the killer's head with his inner monologue for 90% of the movie; dialogue is extremely sparse - Fassbender maybe says 40-50 words out loud. There are few other characters though Tilda Swinton is the only other 'name' in the film (and she's very cool in her small part). And with Fincher, everything is meticulously shot/edited/scored - just extremely slick.

The plot, without giving too many details, begins with our killer in Paris on a stakeout for a hit when an unplanned incident leads to a series of events and travels - almost mini-chapters - he must embark on to save himself. It's a good bit of fun and Fassbender can do more with less than nearly any other actor working today. Highly recommend.

Reactions: bbrown

ClarkstonMark

Oct 12, 2021
Finally got around to watching David Fincher's 'The Killer' on Netflix starring Michael Fassbender. If you are a fan of Fincher and Fassbender (and Trent Reznor/Atticus Ross scores along with music from The Smiths), you will love this. It's an interesting film - on first pass reminded me of American Psycho if Patrick Bateman were an assassin for hire instead of a wall street wonk. The film is almost entirely subjective - you are literally in the killer's head with his inner monologue for 90% of the movie; dialogue is extremely sparse - Fassbender maybe says 40-50 words out loud. There are few other characters though Tilda Swinton is the only other 'name' in the film (and she's very cool in her small part). And with Fincher, everything is meticulously shot/edited/scored - just extremely slick.

The plot, without giving too many details, begins with our killer in Paris on a stakeout for a hit when an unplanned incident leads to a series of events and travels - almost mini-chapters - he must embark on to save himself. It's a good bit of fun and Fassbender can do more with less than nearly any other actor working today. Highly recommend.

I liked it. And liked all the Smiths music.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
And I also just finished “Bosch Legacy.” I cannot believe that it has a 100% Tomatometer. It had to have been written by AI, it just had to be.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021

you had me with The Smiths.LOL

Reactions: Midnighter

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
And I also just finished “Bosch Legacy.” I cannot believe that it has a 100% Tomatometer. It had to have been written by AI, it just had to be.
You didn't like it?
I'm about half way through and so far I like it.

Reactions: LionJim

Obliviax

Oct 12, 2021
This looks fun. There have been several good movies that were based on Dads and Sons switching bodies. "Big" is the most famous but my favorite was "Vice Versa" with Judge Reinhold. Here is one based on Moms and Daughters named "Family Switch" with Jennifer Garner and Ed Helms on Netflix.

Reactions: LionJim

Obliviax

Oct 12, 2021
I like "Legacy". I like the underplot in that Bosch moves over to the "dark side".

The only part that bugs me is his daughter being a cop. She is very cute but at 125 lbs she isn't going to be running anyone down and cuffing them anytime soon. And I don't think she's 125, I'd put her in the 115 range. Plus, she can't run. She looks ridiculous. It reminds me of an old movie I saw with a woman president. They'd show her jobbing with the Secret Service in tow. The woman playing that part never went jogging once in her life. She was a good athlete but she was pumping her arms and her feet were all akimbo. She wouldn't make it more than a few hundred yards.

Reactions: LionJim and bbrown

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I like "Legacy". I like the underplot in that Bosch moves over to the "dark side".

The only part that bugs me is his daughter being a cop. She is very cute but at 125 lbs she isn't going to be running anyone down and cuffing them anytime soon. And I don't think she's 125, I'd put her in the 115 range. Plus, she can't run. She looks ridiculous. It reminds me of an old movie I saw with a woman president. They'd show her jobbing with the Secret Service in tow. The woman playing that part never went jogging once in her life. She was a good athlete but she was pumping her arms and her feet were all akimbo. She wouldn't make it more than a few hundred yards.
Yeah, and Honey Chandler going out in the field with Bosch. Yeah, that would be a thing.

One other thing about Bosch Legacy I found to be a turnoff is the amazing interconnectedness of everything. “Stay Close” is the same way but they did eventually tie everything together in a somewhat plausible way.

Reactions: Obliviax

Obliviax

Oct 12, 2021
Yeah, and Honey Chandler going out in the field with Bosch. Yeah, that would be a thing.

One other thing about Bosch Legacy I found to be a turnoff is the amazing interconnectedness of everything. “Stay Close” is the same way but they did eventually tie everything together in a somewhat plausible way.
I wonder if Welliver, now that he is the producer and not just an actor, is setting up the next chapter (or trying). He is 61 and has had five wives. At some point, running after bad guys starts to look ridiculous.

Reactions: Woodpecker

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
This looks fun. There have been several good movies that were based on Dads and Sons switching bodies. "Big" is the most famous but my favorite was "Vice Versa" with Judge Reinhold. Here is one based on Moms and Daughters named "Family Switch" with Jennifer Garner and Ed Helms on Netflix.

Isn't that Freaky Friday (twice) and (not sure on this) with Garner, 13 Going on 30?

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I wonder if Welliver, now that he is the producer and not just an actor, is setting up the next chapter (or trying). He is 61 and has had five wives. At some point, running after bad guys starts to look ridiculous.
I try not to be too critical about an actor’s performance, but the Bosch in Legacy did seem to be a caricature of the old Bosch. No weaknesses other than a habit of breaking rules.

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
I wish they would veer over to the Ballard books. Ballard is this young, quirky female Bosch who is a very good detective naturally. She teams with Bosch by accident. I picture someone young and feisty who picks up his methods.

Or develop the McAvoy books. I like Harry but like many I can often guess his next move in Legacy.

Got GSPs

Oct 7, 2021
This is not a trailer, but an article about the possibility of a long overdue sequel to Big Trouble in Litte China. I love this movie and just recently recorded it on my DVR and watched it tonight. There is something being worked on with Dwayne Rock Johnson, but it’s supposedly a sequel, not a remake.

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
Went to see switch. I don’t look at what the critics say just people. So when I see 46 percent critics and 88 percent people I wonder what the disconnect is and usually people are right. It was a good movie especially during the holidays.