Byrne says let's settle this after the final 4, we still getting "our facts"

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
Because by their own admission, they did. Oats gets up there yesterday with his “we’re fully aware of all the facts, wrong place / wrong time” garbage. Today, Byrne himself says they were NOT aware that Miller was involved with the murder weapon in any way until the detective’s testimony. So they are contradicting themselves, which looks really bad. And if they weren’t aware, you know that damn well means that Miller’s attorney wasn’t aware either. The only other alternative is that everyone knew about Miller’s involvement….but neither the attorney or Bama brass thought it would get out to the public in a court hearing. But there’s no way possible that Oats / Byrne didn’t know absolutely everything that Miller’s attorney knew. Again, a really bad look.

The whole thing just stinks even worse after Byrne’s statement. This is Bama, Miller, and his attorney getting together with a hastily assembled alibi to try to clear him in the court of public opinion. “He was already on his way and he never saw the text message” is something that could likely never be proven or disproven. If he was already on his way, there would have been a previous text message or communication that was testified as to the reason he was at the asked to be at the scene. If he wasn’t handling the gun, there would be little reason for Miles to tell him that there was a bullet in the chamber. It doesn’t add up. But if he’s not being charged with anything, it really doesn’t have to.
Regarding one in the chamber..... I haven't read the transcripts, but if anyone has access to one of my weapons, I do make sure to let them know there is one in the chamber. Just better to let someone know for sure, than have them assume it's empty. But in general, NEVER assume there isn't a round in the chamber.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

patdog

May 28, 2007
Regarding one in the chamber..... I haven't read the transcripts, but if anyone has access to one of my weapons, I do make sure to let them know there is one in the chamber. Just better to let someone know for sure, than have them assume it's empty. But in general, NEVER assume there isn't a round in the chamber.
Why would you ever hand someone a gun you knew was loaded in the first place? Particularly at the place, time and circumstances he did? It takes a huge suspension of common sense to think he wasn't an accomplice to the murder.

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
South Carolina fans tried to enter the game last night with jail jumpsuits on and were forced to take off those clothes before they were allowed entry into the game

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
South Carolina fans tried to enter the game last night with jail jumpsuits on and were forced to take off those clothes before they were allowed entry into the game
Wearing that is clearly worse than letting someone in the building who hands a gun to a murderer but isn't dressed that way. BBM

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Why would you ever hand someone a gun you knew was loaded in the first place? Particularly at the place, time and circumstances he did? It takes a huge suspension of common sense to think he wasn't an accomplice to the murder.
If I remember reading correctly, the gun was on the back seat and the perp walked up and grabbed it which also sounds strange because how many times are you gonna have a loaded gun sitting on your back seat and allow someone to simply walk up, open the door and grab your gun.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I'm trying to figger out if the fans were breakin' an unwritten rule sportin' the jump suits. We all know some sports fans, especially the youngsters like to dress up crazy for games which I value as side viewing entertainment. Sounds like the fun police holdin' water for bamer. Reminds me of when bamer played "Son of a Preacher Man" at an Iron Bowl. And isn't it Rice's band that does troll jobs all the time?

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
You think maybe the DA has more objective information than we have from a few (likely slanted) articles? Remember Duke Lacrosse? Google Greg Kelly (there are many others). There is no need to rush to judgement. Let the facts play out before making opinions. There is no reason to ruin this young man's life until facts are presented and the judicial system has processed the issue. Unless I'm mistaken he has not been charged or even accused or deemed a suspect.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
The testimony is public record. I’m sure its quite easy to fact check.
Well I’d love to read all of the texts and the actual testimony.

but I haven’t seen that yet.

im not saying he’s innocent. He’s probably not but I’m gonna give him the same due process I would want or that I want others to get.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
If I remember reading correctly, the gun was on the back seat and the perp walked up and grabbed it which also sounds strange because how many times are you gonna have a loaded gun sitting on your back seat and allow someone to simply walk up, open the door and grab your gun.

Not sure if this facts in this are true, but if they are, it would make a lot more sense as to why he hasn't been charged. From reading stories, it sounded like Miller went and got Miles's gun, and brought it to him. But it sounds like Miles left the gun in the car earlier, and asked him to bring it to him. Coming out with a gun, leaving it in the car to go to the bar, and asking for it back at the end of the night doesn't raise nearly the red flags. Still stupid to want a gun after being at a bar, but not so obvious that it was for ill intent, as it mostly would be if Miller had been asked to go get the gun from a home and bring it to Miles after Midnight.

I certainly wouldn't just assume these facts are true, but they are at least plausible and if true would make not charging Miller perfectly sensible. If Miles left the gun in Millers car and then got the gun out of the car himself, and there isn't any indication that Miller purposefully blocked the victims car in, then he doesn't look like an accessory.

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
In general, plenty of instances. Off the top of my head,
I can think of numerous times I crossed a fence or ditch while hunting. Loaded weapon, handed to someone else while making my crossing.
I've ridden with people where I had to hand them their firearm that would have been in my seating area.
Have handed one to a child (or sometimes female learner) that was learning to shoot.
There is definitely a right and wrong way of doing that tough.

Now, when talking about handing a loaded weapon to someone outside a bar (or wherever they were) in a heated argument at 1am, no, haven't done that.

The thing that people have to be careful about is blaming a guy for giving someone their gun. The real question is "What did he know at the time he gave the gun and when did he know it?"

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
17 em. let it BYRNE

just before dawn fire GIF

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
and there isn't any indication that Miller purposefully blocked the victims car in, then he doesn't look like an accessory.

You mean the kind of indication like, say, another car being driven by another player also being there next to Miller and also blocking the guy in? Or, an indication like bullet holes going through the front of Miller’s windshield, even though the shots fired at the victim’s vehicle were from another direction? Those kinds of indications?

Last edited:

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011

Is there a dress code for attending a game? Apparently not, considering what some wear or don't wear. How could they legitimately turn them away?

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
It's relevant that Alabama won the game by 2 points, and Miller had a career high of, I believe, 41 points (average is 18+). If you're a Bama fan, it's a good thing he was allowed to play.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
You mean like the kind of indication like, say, another car being driven by another player also being there next to Miller and also blocking the guy in? Or, an indication like bullet holes going through the front of Miller’s windshield, even though the shots fired at the victim’s vehicle were from another direction? Those kinds of indications?
You comment about the windshield and shots doesn't make any sense as written, but generally any evidence that contradicted the claims in the article and that supported a claim Miller intended to block the car in, which would at least indicate some intent to partake in aggressive activities, even if he did not know the extent of the illegality. I don't think "we only intended to scare him, I didn't know he was going to shoot him" is a defense against accessory to murder if you did intend to say, falsely imprison somebody. Not positive, but if you willingly engage in criminal activity, I don't think you get to claim you were only down for Crime A and didn't know your partner was going to escalate to Crime B.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
Not sure if this facts in this are true, but if they are, it would make a lot more sense as to why he hasn't been charged. From reading stories, it sounded like Miller went and got Miles's gun, and brought it to him. But it sounds like Miles left the gun in the car earlier, and asked him to bring it to him. Coming out with a gun, leaving it in the car to go to the bar, and asking for it back at the end of the night doesn't raise nearly the red flags. Still stupid to want a gun after being at a bar, but not so obvious that it was for ill intent, as it mostly would be if Miller had been asked to go get the gun from a home and bring it to Miles after Midnight.

I certainly wouldn't just assume these facts are true, but they are at least plausible and if true would make not charging Miller perfectly sensible. If Miles left the gun in Millers car and then got the gun out of the car himself, and there isn't any indication that Miller purposefully blocked the victims car in, then he doesn't look like an accessory.
If that exact same scenario played out to anyone of us on this board do you think we would be charged with an accessory and the prosecutor would try to prove it. My guess is we would all be charged. The problem is getting a grand jury full of Bama fans to issue a true bill.

Reactions: patdog

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
The fact is that if that had been me under similar testimony........I would probably be sitting in jail. If I wasn't IN jail, I would be out on bond facing very serious charges. I'm a respectable member of my community, but I'm NOT a star athlete at Alabama.

Reactions: patdog

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
If that exact same scenario played out to anyone of us on this board do you think we would be charged with an accessory and the prosecutor would try to prove it. My guess is we would all be charged. The problem is getting a grand jury full of Bama fans to issue a true bill.
Prosecutors could get an indictment even in bama land if they wanted to.

But to answer your question, what is the same scenario? If I had a friend with me that had a gun and left it in my car and I brought the car back, he pulled the gun out of my car, handed it to someone else who then shot somebody, I probably wouldn’t be charged unless politics got involved in the decision. Not owning or touching a gun and not having any obvious indication of intent would make it a tough case for a prosecutor.

But probably the main difference in the “same” scenario is whoever was in my car would have been somebody that would have had a lot of people shocked they would use a gun. It wouldn’t be a 20 year old male.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016

But to answer your question, what is the same scenario? If I had a friend with me that had a gun and left it in my car and I brought the car back, he pulled the gun out of my car, handed it to someone else who then shot somebody, I probably wouldn’t be charged unless politics got involved in the decision. Not owning or touching a gun and not having any obvious indication of intent would make it a tough case for a prosecutor.

But probably the main difference in the “same” scenario is whoever was in my car would have been somebody that would have had a lot of people shocked they would use a gun. It wouldn’t be a 20 year old male.
Given those texts, you would be in jail headed to Parchman. So would I.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014

You would have been arrested. The detectives has stated the Miller knew his friend was drunk and to bring him his gun. So you’re telling me if you took a gun to a drunk friend whom you had to know was in a verbal altercation you’d walk away without charges. Not a chance in this world. This is all about AL basketball is greater than a young woman’s life. The fact that we as a society have fallen this far is very sad.

Reactions: yakalot2 and patdog

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
You comment about the windshield and shots doesn't make any sense as written

The comment was intended to illustrate that Cedric Johnson was deliberately shooting at Miller’s car in spite of the fact that he was drawing fire from Davis or Miles, who were not anywhere near Miller’s car and were shooting at Johnson’s car from the side…which would have had to have been the case for them to get a headshot on the victim who was sitting in the back seat. Why would he shoot at Miller’s car while being shot at from elsewhere, unless he knew he was being deliberately boxed in and was trying to force his way to some sort of escape route?

And the fact that Jaden Bradley, the Alabama PG, was also there and also had his car parked in similar fashion to Miller, according to police, has been well documented.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
You would have been arrested. The detectives has stated the Miller knew his friend was drunk and to bring him his gun. So you’re telling me if you took a gun to a drunk friend whom you had to know was in a verbal altercation you’d walk away without charges. Not a chance in this world. This is all about AL basketball is greater than a young woman’s life. The fact that we as a society have fallen this far is very sad.
Well yes, if you change the facts, the results can change.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Remember when Alabama was recruiting Jeffrey Simmons? Then he signed with us. The news came out about the fight and Alabama fans were screaming for us to drop him immediately or we would have a black eye for recruiting him. They said we didn't do the right thing. Well, I can see slight similarities here except the shoe is on the other foot. Constitutionally you are innocent until proven guilty. I would hate to see someone pay a price for something they didn't do.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Remember when Alabama was recruiting Jeffrey Simmons? Then he signed with us. The news came out about the fight and Alabama fans were screaming for us to drop him immediately or we would have a black eye for recruiting him. They said we didn't do the right thing. Well, I can see slight similarities here except the shoe is on the other foot. Constitutionally you are innocent until proven guilty. I would hate to see someone pay a price for something they didn't do.
Ummm. Simmons video showed slightly being rough with a girl that was out of control.

Miller was on the scene of a murder and brought the gun. This is confirmed.

Slightly different cases.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

I don’t think anyone is screaming for him to be automatically booted off the team (yet). The sensible approach seems to be to suspend both Miller and Bradley indefinitely until the legal proceedings conclude, since it seems like both were a lot more than just 3rd party bystanders to the incident, even if they aren’t charged criminally. That’s especially true considering that the university / basketball program already made their initial assessment a few weeks ago based on incomplete / bad information. They admitted as much and had to come with a hastily assembled alibi and a public statement from an attorney to justify the decision they already made. They may still have incomplete / bad information. And its a bit naive to think they wouldn’t be suspended already if Alabama wasn’t a legitimate title contender.

Now, would an indefinite suspension be tantamount to kicking Miller off the team entirely….due to his draft projection? Probably, but that shouldn’t be a consideration.

Reactions: onewoof
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login