Carrying water

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Have you guys noticed all the articles and stories about recruiting and players transferring out ? Seems like the powers that be are already getting out in front of the " our coaches suck" chants with a good excuse of why they are struggling. Typical propaganda. Showing Slojoe and saying he had a ton of transfers out and Leach wasnt recruiting properly is now problematic. Who is buying into it ?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It's never all one person's fault, it's never one thing. It's the sum of all parts.

It’s pretty universally agreed that Leachs approach to recruiting was terrible. And it shows badly.
I 'sorta' agree but at the same time, Leach would have won with the guys he recruited. That said, he wasn't really ever a fit here, from the scheme to the recruiting. It's amazing that he won as much as he did. I always thought he was better suited for Arkansas or Tennessee.

Bottom line is, the coaching is definitely bad at the moment, at least on defense. The players we have are not THAT bad. I'm sorry, but they just aren't. Arnett is simply not getting it done there, and it's not Leach's fault.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
It's never all one person's fault, it's never one thing. It's the sum of all parts.

I 'sorta' agree but at the same time, Leach would have won with the guys he recruited. That said, he wasn't really ever a fit here, from the scheme to the recruiting. It's amazing that he won as much as he did. I always thought he was better suited for Arkansas or Tennessee.

Bottom line is, the coaching is definitely bad at the moment, at least on defense. The players we have are not THAT bad. I'm sorry, but they just aren't. Arnett is simply not getting it done there, and it's not Leach's fault.
He would not have won with what he recruited on defense. And I can’t imagine where this defense would be without Covid. Coaching may be bad but the roster is depleted.

Can someone tell me how many of our starters for SELA were brought in by Leach? I count 5 of 22 but I’m not sure.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I agree about the covid thing. We would be in deep dookie. That's over next year tho. I know we maybe short on DL but I'm pretty sure we could have jumped in the portal and got something. Looks like they missed on the DBs they got. If we are short on players we have to have openings. Assess your needs and fill them. If anybody shoulda known we need DL it would be Arnett. Imo it's on him for not addressing our needs. You can't be counting on redshirt freshmen DL guys. C'mon now. And speaking of recruiting how many WR are we gonna sign this year ? Looks like they are after at least 4. Why ?

Reactions: wdawg44

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I agree about the covid thing. We would be in deep dookie. That's over next year tho. I know we maybe short on DL but I'm pretty sure we could have jumped in the portal and got something. Looks like they missed on the DBs they got. If we are short on players we have to have openings. Assess your needs and fill them. If anybody shoulda known we need DL it would be Arnett. Imo it's on him for not addressing our needs. You can't be counting on redshirt freshmen DL guys. C'mon now. And speaking of recruiting how many WR are we gonna sign this year ? Looks like they are after at least 4. Why ?
I will pass judgment on his portal skills after this year. Last year was rough and to say “well we should have hit the portal harder” isn’t reasonable. You just can’t whiff on 3 classes like we have.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Have you guys noticed all the articles and stories about recruiting and players transferring out ? Seems like the powers that be are already getting out in front of the " our coaches suck" chants with a good excuse of why they are struggling. Typical propaganda. Showing Slojoe and saying he had a ton of transfers out and Leach wasnt recruiting properly is now problematic. Who is buying into it ?
I think the administration and money boosters want to do everything possible to set the stage for the return of Arnett in the case of a 4-8 season. 3-9 he is gone, 6-6 he stays. 5-8 he very likely stays, but 4-8 is a real possibility and will lead to some very unhappy fans.

Nugdawg

Mar 3, 2008
Hell yeah…when you start losing, those involved start lookin around for others to blame. The easiest thing to do is blame your predecessors and in this case the man ain’t even alive to defend himself. So here’s the recruiting rankings since 2010. Notice where the Peterson/Friend In-State Cleanup Crew have us so far this year. Point me to the part where the last 3-4 years have been any different. Plus I was told preseason by all that knew here, that we had a loaded senior laden team that had an 8 win floor. You can’t have it both ways.

Also, lest we forget our so called recruiting issues seem to be mostly on defense which is where our current staff maintained “continuity” so they have been recruiting for 4 years to their side of the ball. I realize it’s fun to blame Emmerick as the oddball outsider who did things differently than the good ole boys and so forth but he is waking up everyday working for Lincoln Riley at highly ranked USC and we have a former HS coach and a washed up hack of an OL coach running our efforts. I will however give Bump the credit he deserves.

2024 currently 35th

2023 27th

2022 26th

2021 27th

2020 28th

2019 24th

2018 27th

2017 24th

2016 28th

2015 18th

2014 36th

2013 24th

2012 22th

2011 41th

2010 30th

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
Hell yeah…when you start losing, those involved start lookin around for others to blame. The easiest thing to do is blame your predecessors and in this case the man ain’t even alive to defend himself. So here’s the recruiting rankings since 2010. Notice where the Peterson/Friend In-State Cleanup Crew have us so far this year. Point me to the part where the last 3-4 years have been any different. Plus I was told preseason by all that knew here, that we had a loaded senior laden team that had an 8 win floor. You can’t have it both ways.

Also, lest we forget our so called recruiting issues seem to be mostly on defense which is where our current staff maintained “continuity” so they have been recruiting for 4 years to their side of the ball. I realize it’s fun to blame Emmerick as the oddball outsider who did things differently than the good ole boys and so forth but he is waking up everyday working for Lincoln Riley at highly ranked USC and we have a former HS coach and a washed up hack of an OL coach running our efforts. I will however give Bump the credit he deserves.

2024 currently 35th

2023 27th

2022 26th

2021 27th

2020 28th

2019 24th

2018 27th

2017 24th

2016 28th

2015 18th

2014 36th

2013 24th

2012 22th

2011 41th

2010 30th
Yep

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019

2024 currently 35th

2023 27th

2022 26th

2021 27th

2020 28th

2019 24th

2018 27th

2017 24th

2016 28th

2015 18th

2014 36th

2013 24th

2012 22th

2011 41th

2010 30th
You're looking at rankings instead of actual players. Rankings aren't real beyond the obvious. Now go look at all the transfers out that couldn't play here.

• Wow
Reactions: Ibdancin

Nugdawg

Mar 3, 2008
You're looking at rankings instead of actual players. Rankings aren't real beyond the obvious. Now go look at all the transfers out that couldn't play here.
You’re moving the goalposts. While we can all agree rankings aren’t everything…they are what we have to go on for comparison. For the most part we have always been a mid 20’s recruiting school. That hasn’t been any different the last few years. Players come and go. Even moreso now with the portal. But to act like we signed 20’s rated classes before that most of them panned out and stayed around and these didn’t is just fooling yourself. Not one person talked about the our past recruiting until we needed a scapegoat.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018

I agree that our defensive players cannot possibly be as bad as they are playing. Surely they must have some potential.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
You’re moving the goalposts. While we can all agree rankings aren’t everything…they are what we have to go on for comparison. For the most part we have always been a mid 20’s recruiting school. That hasn’t been any different the last few years. Players come and go. Even moreso now with the portal. But to act like we signed 20’s rated classes before that most of them panned out and stayed around and these didn’t is just fooling yourself. Not one person talked about the our past recruiting until we needed a scapegoat.
Plenty of us looked at the opening day depth chart and wondered why the hell everyone was so old. And maybe these are intentional leaks but it’s reasonable for people to start asking questions when things go badly.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
Plenty of us looked at the opening day depth chart and wondered why the hell everyone was so old. And maybe these are intentional leaks but it’s reasonable for people to start asking questions when things go badly.
I never heard that, you mean before the season started , the veteran team returning so many players off a 9-4 team......that fans were looking at the roster and saying “we have so many upperclassmen therefore we must suck“ ? I never heard or saw an opinion like that. That sounds a little far fetched.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I never heard that, you mean before the season started , the veteran team returning so many players off a 9-4 team......that fans were looking at the roster and saying “we have so many upperclassmen therefore we must suck“ ? I never heard or saw an opinion like that. That sounds a little far fetched.
Ok. But at the end of the day it doesn’t matter if you heard it or not. We are thin and relying on 5th and 6th year seniors bc the last 3 years have been so bad. I’m not here to defend Arnett. Dont really care. He may be awful but there are absolute personnel issues. Like I said- how many Leach guys were on the starting 22 for SELA?

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
Ok. But at the end of the day it doesn’t matter if you heard it or not. We are thin and relying on 5th and 6th year seniors bc the last 3 years have been so bad. I’m not here to defend Arnett. Dont really care. He may be awful but there are absolute personnel issues. Like I said- how many Leach guys were on the starting 22 for SELA?
I’d say we are just really poorly coached. you don’t go from 9-4 to 0-8 in the sec when you return this many players off the same team. sorry

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I’d say we are just really poorly coached. you don’t go from 9-4 to 0-8 in the sec when you return this many players off the same team. sorry
If we had TAMU, Ark and Auburn at home I think we could win some even with this defense. Too many people don’t realize how good the schedule was last year.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
SOS was higher last year
I’m sure it was. Bama was better. We played at LSU and we played Georgia. All 3 were losses so who cares. But we didn’t beat a single ranked team. We haven’t even played our whole season yet.
We played 4 easy OOC and beat them. Currently 3-0 against 3 easy OOC and beat 3 of the worst teams in the sec at home. Thats a huge reason we went 9-4.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
It’s pretty universally agreed that Leachs approach to recruiting was terrible. And it shows badly.
I don’t think that’s “universally agreed” at all.

Our talent problems are obviously 90% defense. 3 different things happened there:

1) First and foremost, pay-for-play became completely legal at pretty much the exact same time Leach arrived at MSU, putting us at an even more massive disadvantage for all players than ever before in the classes of 2021 and beyond. Hard to know how good or bad any coach’s approach to recruiting is now, because it really just does not matter any more….at all. But its especially hard to judge for Leach at MSU since he had a completely different playing field from Day 1.

2) Mississippi’s 2021 and 2022 high school classes were very thin on defense. 2021 in particular….only 4 of the top 15 players were defensive players. We landed only one of the 4,- John Lewis. That’s really the only 2 Leach / Arnett classes we could have even expected to be getting a lot of snaps right now, and there just wasn’t enough meat on the bone to really help us in either of those classes in-state, even if we had more success.

3) Arnett and his staff are the primary recruiters for defense. Whatever went right or wrong, Leach had little to do with it. But we’ve got our usual crop of talent on offense (by MSU standards), so I’m not seeing where Leach had some poor approach.

Last edited:

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
SOS was higher last year
You keep bringing up SOS like you actually know what it means.

SOS is nothing more than an overall index value that shows the composite chances of a median FBS team winning every game on your schedule.

Just because its easier for the median level team to go undefeated against this year’s schedule doesn’t mean that its easier for MSU to go 8-4 against this year’s schedule. Increasing the odds of beating Bama and LSU from 1% to 5% doesn’t cancel out our chances of beating Auburn / A&M / Arkansas each dropping by 20-30%.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
Yea, it’s really a mystery what SOS means. Fact is the sec is down this year and a weak South Carolina team isn’t undefeated national champ Georgia. nor is LSUs bad defense at home the same team as last year. a bad defense we had seven yards at half against.

This team isn’t bad because of a harder schedule. that’s ridiculous.

Reactions: FlotownDawg

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I don’t think that’s “universally agreed” at all.

Our talent problems are obviously 90% defense. 3 different things happened there:

1) First and foremost, pay-for-play became completely legal at pretty much the exact same time Leach arrived at MSU, putting us at an even more massive disadvantage for all players than ever before in the classes of 2021 and beyond. Hard to know how good or bad any coach’s approach to recruiting is now, because it really just does not matter any more….at all. But its especially hard for Leach at MSU since he had a completely different playing field from Day 1.

2) Mississippi’s 2021 and 2022 high school classes were very thin on defense. 2021 in particular….only 4 of the top 15 players were defensive players. We landed only one of the 4,- John Lewis. That’s really the only 2 Leach / Arnett classes we could have even expected to be getting a lot of snaps right now, and there just wasn’t enough meat on the bone to really help us in either of those classes in-state, even if we had more success.

3) Arnett and his staff are the primary recruiters for defense. Whatever went right or wrong, Leach had little to do with it. But we’ve got our usual crop of talent on offense (by MSU standards), so I’m not seeing where Leach had some poor approach.
The problem most people agree on is that the staff had way too little input on offers and 2 analysts had all the control.

Will Rogers.sixpack

Sep 25, 2022
That said, he wasn't really ever a fit here, from the scheme to the recruiting. It's amazing that he won as much as he did. I always thought he was better suited for Arkansas or Tennessee.
I’m curious as to why you think this, why those two particular places, and why not here?

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I don't think anyone that knows anything about football would think the team was bad because we were relying on 5th and 6th year seniors. That seems like an advantageous situation. Experience is a good thing. And I'm thinking the media is now trying to manufacture reasons to deflect blame for the maximum suckage we are experiencing right now. Before the season people were happy we had our strongest competition at home and teams we normally have been beating on the road. People were also bragging about the fact that we had a lot of returning players this year. More than most of the SEC. Thats my point. The goalposts are definitely being moved to provide cover for these coaches imo

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
I've been reading the summaries as simply some additional actual data on how we ended up where we are versus carrying water or making excuses. Perd 's provided some interesting insight as well. As Goat said, sum of the parts and this "reporting" is simply one of those parts.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
He would not have won with what he recruited on defense. And I can’t imagine where this defense would be without Covid. Coaching may be bad but the roster is depleted.

Can someone tell me how many of our starters for SELA were brought in by Leach? I count 5 of 22 but I’m not sure.
COVID counts. We don't win the national championship without COVID.

It's going to be hard to convince many people that we are at a disadvantage because we have a bunch of 5th and 6th year seniors. And further, I don't see where we 'whiffed' on anything. We have plenty of capable players, we just are not maximizing them. Even in the defensive secondary. They are NOT as bad as they are playing.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I’m curious as to why you think this, why those two particular places, and why not here?
Just the overall type of talent that they typically bring in, historically, vs. what we do. And, the type of football teams they usually are. Feels like Leach's personality suits them better.

I don't think our inferiority-complexed fanbase ever had the confidence to truly appreciate Leach.

Reactions: Will Rogers.sixpack

patdog

May 28, 2007
We've got other problems besides just that, but poor recruiting has really caught up to us big time this year. And that was going to happen no matter who the coach was.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
I'm not.

It's false narratives to try and keep a positive light on it. There is absolutely no other team that would allow this to happen and not make a change.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018

The whole story to push is based on blaming somebody that's dead and can not defend himself. That's more than pathetic. Our recruiting under Leach was not off from our norm. Our WR room improved a lot. Even our QB room was better.

Fit here? LMAO! This is the most MSU thing ever. "Blue Collar damn it!"

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
COVID counts. We don't win the national championship without COVID.

It's going to be hard to convince many people that we are at a disadvantage because we have a bunch of 5th and 6th year seniors. And further, I don't see where we 'whiffed' on anything. We have plenty of capable players, we just are not maximizing them. Even in the defensive secondary. They are NOT as bad as they are playing.
Again how many starters for the opening game did Leach bring in?

I get that Covid counts but my question is where would we be without it? How many collectives are having to pay 5th and 6th year guys to field a defense that still isnt very good.

And don’t get me wrong- 2 things can be true. We can have no talent AND we can be poorly coached

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I heard a rumor that the players don't like Arnett. It came from the mother of a player that transferred out.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018

Arnett's fault. Nobody but his. DL is short because we changed defenses from a 4 man front and Arnett inherited more DLmen. It's why the DL was deep. He spent more time on the backend and LBs

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login