Carrying water

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Hell yeah…when you start losing, those involved start lookin around for others to blame. The easiest thing to do is blame your predecessors and in this case the man ain’t even alive to defend himself. So here’s the recruiting rankings since 2010. Notice where the Peterson/Friend In-State Cleanup Crew have us so far this year. Point me to the part where the last 3-4 years have been any different. Plus I was told preseason by all that knew here, that we had a loaded senior laden team that had an 8 win floor. You can’t have it both ways.

Also, lest we forget our so called recruiting issues seem to be mostly on defense which is where our current staff maintained “continuity” so they have been recruiting for 4 years to their side of the ball. I realize it’s fun to blame Emmerick as the oddball outsider who did things differently than the good ole boys and so forth but he is waking up everyday working for Lincoln Riley at highly ranked USC and we have a former HS coach and a washed up hack of an OL coach running our efforts. I will however give Bump the credit he deserves.

2024 currently 35th

2023 27th

2022 26th

2021 27th

2020 28th

2019 24th

2018 27th

2017 24th

2016 28th

2015 18th

2014 36th

2013 24th

2012 22th

2011 41th

2010 30th
Thanks for posting this. Anyone blaming Leech didn't like the Air Raid. Leech recruited the offensive players and Arnett recruited the defense. Our NIL collective is 2 years behind Ole Miss'. Lane has bought a lot of his players through the portal. Is anyone surprised that our administration is slow to react? If you aren't then you haven't been a State fan for very long.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Arnett's fault. Nobody but his. DL is short because we changed defenses from a 4 man front and Arnett inherited more DLmen. It's why the DL was deep. He spent more time on the backend and LBs
Meh. That’s not really how recruiting works. The DC doesn’t make all the defense offers or calls. And it definitely didn’t work like that under Leach. And it sure doesn’t help to have nearly an entire staff that is foreign to our footprint.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
The teams that will be the most successful going forward will use the portal successfully. By this I mean bring in players for a year and see what they can do. If they fit your system keep them. If not, tell them to enter the portal and move on. Recruit replacements through the portal. That is what I see Kiffin doing over the last 2 years.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
I agree about the covid thing. We would be in deep dookie. That's over next year tho. I know we maybe short on DL but I'm pretty sure we could have jumped in the portal and got something. Looks like they missed on the DBs they got. If we are short on players we have to have openings. Assess your needs and fill them. If anybody shoulda known we need DL it would be Arnett. Imo it's on him for not addressing our needs. You can't be counting on redshirt freshmen DL guys. C'mon now. And speaking of recruiting how many WR are we gonna sign this year ? Looks like they are after at least 4. Why ?

We didn't miss on defense. It's coaching.

We have 8 four star guys back there. You mean all of those are busts? Noway. We have CBs that run 4.32. It's coaching and play calling.

We only have 1 4 star LB, and he isn't starting. Go look at the caliber of LBs. Who is at fault for that? Arnett.

DL/DE- Russell is a 4 star DE who is just now getting time... and he is a SR. We have 3 other 4 star guys. 2 are Srs the other is a freshman. That should tell you what's happened. He did a horrible job recruiting the D front and spent a lot of time on the backend.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Again how many starters for the opening game did Leach bring in?

I get that Covid counts but my question is where would we be without it? How many collectives are having to pay 5th and 6th year guys to field a defense that still isnt very good.

And don’t get me wrong- 2 things can be true. We can have no talent AND we can be poorly coached
I count 10 on offense (Rogers, Marks, Walley, Griffin, Harmon, Reese, Jones, Losoya, Robinson, Mosley) and 9 on defense (Davis, Ellington, Anderson, Page, Williams, Nicholson, Richardson, Russell, Morant) that are at least playing significantly. There may be more. And I don't think we were necessarily relying on the 6th year guys to be competent, we wanted them back because they are good players and it was supposed to be an added advantage.

I guess where I disagree is that I don't think we are POORLY talented. We are middle of the road as usual. Coaching makes us look worse.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
I think the administration and money boosters want to do everything possible to set the stage for the return of Arnett in the case of a 4-8 season. 3-9 he is gone, 6-6 he stays. 5-8 he very likely stays, but 4-8 is a real possibility and will lead to some very unhappy fans.
If this staff is here next year, recruiting is going to be worse. You got TX and OU coming into the SEC. We are about to take our rightful spot at the bottom if we keep him.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
You’re moving the goalposts. While we can all agree rankings aren’t everything…they are what we have to go on for comparison. For the most part we have always been a mid 20’s recruiting school. That hasn’t been any different the last few years. Players come and go. Even moreso now with the portal. But to act like we signed 20’s rated classes before that most of them panned out and stayed around and these didn’t is just fooling yourself. Not one person talked about the our past recruiting until we needed a scapegoat.
That's a damn fact!

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
I never heard that, you mean before the season started , the veteran team returning so many players off a 9-4 team......that fans were looking at the roster and saying “we have so many upperclassmen therefore we must suck“ ? I never heard or saw an opinion like that. That sounds a little far fetched.
We were told it was the greatest job by a staff to keep them here.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I count 10 on offense (Rogers, Marks, Walley, Griffin, Harmon, Reese, Jones, Losoya, Robinson, Mosley) and 9 on defense (Davis, Ellington, Anderson, Page, Williams, Nicholson, Richardson, Russell, Morant) that are at least playing significantly. There may be more. And I don't think we were necessarily relying on the 6th year guys to be competent, we wanted them back because they are good players and it was supposed to be an added advantage.

I guess where I disagree is that I don't think we are POORLY talented. We are middle of the road as usual. Coaching makes us look worse.
A lot of those guys you named were signed/committed by Moorhead including Marks, Tulu, Walley, Decam

Rogers Committed to Moorhead too but he would have

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
If we had TAMU, Ark and Auburn at home I think we could win some even with this defense. Too many people don’t realize how good the schedule was last year.
No. This is a down year in the sec. LOL! TAMU sucked last year, but those 1 million dollar players are not true freshmen anymore and they have a great defense.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
I’m sure it was. Bama was better. We played at LSU and we played Georgia. All 3 were losses so who cares. But we didn’t beat a single ranked team. We haven’t even played our whole season yet.
We played 4 easy OOC and beat them. Currently 3-0 against 3 easy OOC and beat 3 of the worst teams in the sec at home. Thats a huge reason we went 9-4.
We beat the #17 ranked team and the #20 on their home field

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
No. This is a down year in the sec. LOL! TAMU sucked last year, but those 1 million dollar players are not true freshmen anymore and they have a great defense.
So is our SOS stronger last year or this year? Make up your mind.

if we played those 3 at home we would
Have a chance to win. Not as good as last year bc our defense sucks. Chalk that up to whatever you want at this point. I honestly don’t care. But making different “defensive calls” isn’t gonna change anything.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The teams that will be the most successful going forward will use the portal successfully. By this I mean bring in players for a year and see what they can do. If they fit your system keep them. If not, tell them to enter the portal and move on. Recruit replacements through the portal. That is what I see Kiffin doing over the last 2 years.
There is no question that it's a necessity, and we need a strategy there just like anywhere else. I haven't run the numbers yet, but I'd be curious as to what our hit rate is between the P5 benchwarmers looking for PT, and the G5 starters looking to make a jump to P5.

I can't imagine we are going to be pulling many P5 starters that are essentially making a lateral move, so most of our guys likely come from those 2 camps.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
We beat the #17 ranked team and the #20 on their home field
We beat zero ranked teams last year. The only poll that matters is the final one. If we beat the #1 team in the country in game 1 and then they went 0-12 would you say we beat the #1 team in the country?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
A lot of those guys you named were signed/committed by Moorhead including Marks, Tulu, Walley, Decam

Rogers Committed to Moorhead too but he would have
Yeah I couldn't remember when the actual transition took place. I guess Moorhead signed them in the first NSD then Leach finished in the second one.

But either way you'd expect for those guys to all be starting more as seniors.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Meh. That’s not really how recruiting works. The DC doesn’t make all the defense offers or calls. And it definitely didn’t work like that under Leach. And it sure doesn’t help to have nearly an entire staff that is foreign to our footprint.
It 100% worked that way under Leach.

And back to the "Good ole boy system" "gotta be a MS MAN to get it done!" And let's point out that this "blue collar... cause we are MS St damn it" staff has the 35th ranked class. Every Defensive guy on the list is 3 stars and there is only 4 in the entire class.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
So is our SOS stronger last year or this year? Make up your mind.

if we played those 3 at home we would
Have a chance to win. Not as good as last year bc our defense sucks. Chalk that up to whatever you want at this point. I honestly don’t care. But making different “defensive calls” isn’t gonna change anything.
We are not good because this entire staff sucks!

Last week our OL coach stated we still don;t know who to target on blocking. The OC stated we are still having miscommunications from the WRs. Our OL is bad at this scheme. Yet our OC keeps hammering a square peg in a hole. Our OC continues to run more 12 personnel that 10. That's friggin crazy!

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It 100% worked that way under Leach.

And back to the "Good ole boy system" "gotta be a MS MAN to get it done!" And let's point out that this "blue collar... cause we are MS St damn it" staff has the 35th ranked class. Every Defensive guy on the list is 3 stars and there is only 4 in the entire class.
It certainly seems that the system that helped Mullen is no longer viable, at least to the extent they did it. This new era requires a new plan, or a revised one.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
We beat zero ranked teams last year. The only poll that matters is the final one. If we beat the #1 team in the country in game 1 and then they went 0-12 would you say we beat the #1 team in the country?
WOW!

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
We are not good because this entire staff sucks!

Last week our OL coach stated we still don;t know who to target on blocking. The OC stated we are still having miscommunications from the WRs. Our OL is bad at this scheme. Yet our OC keeps hammering a square peg in a hole. Our OC continues to run more 12 personnel that 10. That's friggin crazy!
Yeah like I said. It can be both.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
It certainly seems that the system that helped Mullen is no longer viable, at least to the extent they did it. This new era requires a new plan, or a revised one.
Because football is changing. Just like the transition from having a FB. Not many use them anymore. The NFL has changed. RBs use to be one of the highest paying positions. It's no longer the case. Their value has even dropped. They are being used more and more out of the backfield.
There are 2 articles out there, one is NYT the other Bleacher report talking about that.

Last season, among the N.F.L.’s 32 teams, the 32 highest-paid running backs made an average of $5 million. But the average pay of a top-32 offensive lineman last year was $16.9 million.

In 2000, the top running back on each team was responsible, on average, for close to 60 percent of his team’s regular-season total rushing yards. It's now 40% and dropping.

Point is the game is changing. If we want to attract the players that have NFL talent on offense, we need to move to a system that showcases QBs, WRs, and the RB in the passing game.

The NFL doesn't want dual purpose QBs. That's a major investment and they want them in a pocket with fewer runs. ETC ETC........

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Because football is changing. Just like the transition from having a FB. Not many use them anymore. The NFL has changed. RBs use to be one of the highest paying positions. It's no longer the case. Their value has even dropped. They are being used more and more out of the backfield.
There are 2 articles out there, one is NYT the other Bleacher report talking about that.

Last season, among the N.F.L.’s 32 teams, the 32 highest-paid running backs made an average of $5 million. But the average pay of a top-32 offensive lineman last year was $16.9 million.

In 2000, the top running back on each team was responsible, on average, for close to 60 percent of his team’s regular-season total rushing yards. It's now 40% and dropping.

Point is the game is changing. If we want to attract the players that have NFL talent on offense, we need to move to a system that showcases QBs, WRs, and the RB in the passing game.

The NFL doesn't want dual purpose QBs. That's a major investment and they want them in a pocket with fewer runs. ETC ETC........
Agree with all that. But honestly to me it's just another reason to zig when everybody else zags. We tried with Mike Leach to commit to the passing attack, it didn't work. I don't think we will ever have NFL talent on offense on a regular basis. I DO think we can have it on defense. I really wish we could a modernized RichRod or Malzahn offense at MSU, with a guy like Pat White or Nick Marshall. We can find and sign those sort of guys. The sell on our offense will not be the NFL, it will be a chance to play and show off your athleticism, and maybe get a shot somewhere.

Overall we agree. I'm just discussing stuff, thinking out loud sort of thing.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Agree with all that. But honestly to me it's just another reason to zig when everybody else zags. We tried with Mike Leach to commit to the passing attack, it didn't work. I don't think we will ever have NFL talent on offense on a regular basis. I DO think we can have it on defense. I really wish we could a modernized RichRod or Malzahn offense at MSU, with a guy like Pat White or Nick Marshall. We can find and sign those sort of guys. The sell on our offense will not be the NFL, it will be a chance to play and show off your athleticism, and maybe get a shot somewhere.

Mobile QBs are everywhere in CFB. You don’t have to run the read option. But you have to have mobility. Sitting back in the pocket for the sake of doing it is dumb.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Mobile QBs are everywhere in CFB. You don’t have to run the read option. But you have to have mobility. Sitting back in the pocket for the sake of doing it is dumb.
I'm talking runners who throw on the side. Like White/Marshall. And the fact that they are everywhere is an advantage to us - we will be able to find some. We likely will not be able to compete for the guys who are also elite passers.

MS still produces running backs and speed too. Need to use this.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018

Leach's system did work here. What needed to happen was a modification. It would have kept Locke here too.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
I'm talking runners who throw on the side. Like White/Marshall. And the fact that they are everywhere is an advantage to us - we will be able to find some. We likely will not be able to compete for the guys who are also elite passers.

MS still produces running backs and speed too. Need to use this.
Really? Under Leach, we recruited 2 QBs that threw for 12,000 yards in HS. One did that in 3 years. What you are suggesting would be pushing us to the bottom of the pecking order because "everybody is doing it" means you compete with everybody.

MSU can compete for anybody if they get right.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Really? Under Leach, we recruited 2 QBs that threw for 12,000 yards in HS. One did that in 3 years. What you are suggesting would be pushing us to the bottom of the pecking order because "everybody is doing it" means you compete with everybody.

MSU can compete for anybody if they get right.
Admire your optimism, but there's a lot of history that says the opposite. Outside of Rogers, pretty much all our successful, winning QBs have been runners. Dak is the only one who added the passing.

Meanwhile, John Bond beats Alabama. Sleepy Robinson beats Florida. Nick Fitzgerald is the SEC's leading rusher. Omarr Conner could have been elite if we had anybody but dubmass Croominator.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Admire your optimism, but there's a lot of history that says the opposite. Outside of Rogers, pretty much all our successful, winning QBs have been runners. Dak is the only one who added the passing.

Meanwhile, John Bond beats Alabama. Sleepy Robinson beats Florida. Nick Fitzgerald is the SEC's leading rusher. Omarr Conner could have been elite if we had anybody but dubmass Croominator.

History does not matter in a game that is ever evolving. we recruited 2 QBs to MSU under Leach that threw for over 12,000 yards in HS. Those 2 had 128 and 150 plus TDs. Bring that John Bond system back, and we will get crushed!

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
History does not matter in a game that is ever evolving. we recruited 2 QBs to MSU under Leach that threw for over 12,000 yards in HS. Those 2 had 128 and 150 plus TDs. Bring that John Bond system back, and we will get crushed!
What did they do here? Most people bltched about Leach's offense the entire time he was here, and rightfully so because it was a little limited with what we had.

And I'm not saying run the triple option. I'm simply saying to lean on the run game and innovate with it. It's not black and white, a lot of gray.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
What did they do here? Most people bltched about Leach's offense the entire time he was here, and rightfully so because it was a little limited with what we had.

And I'm not saying run the triple option. I'm simply saying to lean on the run game and innovate with it. It's not black and white, a lot of gray.
Most of the people that complained are RTDF COACH people. They believe that is football. And it was... it's no longer that.

The teams with the most attempts in rushing are .500 of less right now. Only 3 in the top 15 in attempts have winning records. If you move over to the top passing offenses. Out of the top 15 ONLY 3 are below that .500. 9 of those are either undefeated or 1 loss teams.

We can not and will not win in todays football world with a rushing attack. The teams that do the best have moved to systems where a passer is needed.

Yes, they run more than Leach. We had that issue with Leach. He was moving to adapt. But it doesn't take away from MSU has proven, under Leach, that we can recruit at the QB and WR spots... with less money.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Most of the people that complained are RTDF COACH people. They believe that is football. And it was... it's no longer that.

The teams with the most attempts in rushing are .500 of less right now. Only 3 in the top 15 in attempts have winning records. If you move over to the top passing offenses. Out of the top 15 ONLY 3 are below that .500. 9 of those are either undefeated or 1 loss teams.

We can not and will not win in todays football world with a rushing attack. The teams that do the best have moved to systems where a passer is needed.

Yes, they run more than Leach. We had that issue with Leach. He was moving to adapt. But it doesn't take away from MSU has proven, under Leach, that we can recruit at the QB and WR spots... with less money.
You have a valid point. Bo Bounds says it all the time. And we know the NFL will always value passers first and foremost.

If you ARE correct, then we absolutely hired the wrong guy in Arnett. Should have hired Spurrier Jr. as head coach with Hollingshead as OC. Wow, the more I think about it, just a colossal mistake.

I would have loved to see Parson in the Air Raid, modified or not. People forget, the reason we had running lanes available was due to the scheme opening them in the first place. So yeah, the RuN tHe BaWl people last year were idiots.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
leach signed defensive starters Charlton, Banks, Matthews , Green out of the portal.....so what does the brain trust of Peterson/Friend do in the portal ? They don’t sign any defensive starters , no D lineman, they sign Goede, an ineligible Spivey and a receiver Roberson that we don’t need.

Why can Leach use the portal to bring in defensive starters and this staff can’t ?

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
You have a valid point. Bo Bounds says it all the time. And we know the NFL will always value passers first and foremost.

If you ARE correct, then we absolutely hired the wrong guy in Arnett. Should have hired Spurrier Jr. as head coach with Hollingshead as OC. Wow, the more I think about it, just a colossal mistake.

I would have loved to see Parson in the Air Raid, modified or not. People forget, the reason we had running lanes available was due to the scheme opening them in the first place. So yeah, the RuN tHe BaWl people last year were idiots.

We lost to UK because we did not run it enough nor effectively. Leach wasn't perfect, but saw his mistakes and moved to fix those.... Parson.

Enjoyed the topic and conversation!

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
Ok. But at the end of the day it doesn’t matter if you heard it or not. We are thin and relying on 5th and 6th year seniors bc the last 3 years have been so bad. I’m not here to defend Arnett. Dont really care. He may be awful but there are absolute personnel issues. Like I said- how many Leach guys were on the starting 22 for SELA?
Plenty of us looked at the opening day depth chart and wondered why the hell everyone was so old. And maybe these are intentional leaks but it’s reasonable for people to start asking questions when things go badly.
Interesting considering that only 2 people on this board predicted less than a 500 record - myself and fighting Irish - and I think I overshot with mine

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
leach signed defensive starters Charlton, Banks, Matthews , Green out of the portal.....so what does the brain trust of Peterson/Friend do in the portal ? They don’t sign any defensive starters , no D lineman, they sign Goede, an ineligible Spivey and a receiver Roberson that we don’t need.

Why can Leach use the portal to bring in defensive starters and this staff can’t ?
For real. And not only that, we let a lot of guys go down to USM, that apparently weren't good enough to play here. Then we bring in 4-5 from the portal (Keys, Rogers, Raydar, Albert, Brown) - where are they? But it doesn't really matter - these guys aren't as terrible as they are playing.

I don't know, I guess a part of my MSU fandom died when Leach died. Then the colossally stupid decision Arnett made with the offense buried me. With NIL I was barely hanging on anyway.

I'll always watch and pay attention and discuss this stuff, but I'll never really 'care', if that makes sense.

Reactions: blitz2Win

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018

It's getting worse than that.

We all know we need DL. They are going hard after DL that are not even ranked out of JUCO. Is literally rated 82 and not ranked in JUCO.

Ole miss is taking the cream of the crop in DL in MS.

This staff is horrible from top to bottom and in all aspects.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
For real. And not only that, we let a lot of guys go down to USM, that apparently weren't good enough to play here. Then we bring in 4-5 from the portal (Keys, Rogers, Raydar, Albert, Brown) - where are they? But it doesn't really matter - these guys aren't as terrible as they are playing.

I don't know, I guess a part of my MSU fandom died when Leach died. Then the colossally stupid decision Arnett made with the offense buried me. With NIL I was barely hanging on anyway.

I'll always watch and pay attention and discuss this stuff, but I'll never really 'care', if that makes sense.
They are not! 100% correct. We have great talent in the secondary but we lack a focused coaching staff.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023

We all know we need DL. They are going hard after DL that are not even ranked out of JUCO. Is literally rated 82 and not ranked in JUCO.

Yea I looked at the 24 signing classes of this staff #35 and ole miss, it’s pitiful. all the D lineman are going to ole miss but we supposedly have the Peterson/Friend in state cleanup crew.

this is why you don’t want this staff in place after the season to manage the huge roster turnover that is coming. they cant analyze talent and they cant recruit. The roster will be stocked with sunbelt level juncos and the next coach will be hamstrung with their terrible decisions.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

Let's don't bury them all. Hughes, Bumphis, Turner, Knox - those are our guys. And Mele is OK with special teams it appears. Heck I don't even think Barbay is that bad.

The problem is Arnett. I don't really even know if Brock is horrible, or it's something dumb Arnett is doing.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login