Carrying water

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Yea I looked at the 24 signing classes of this staff #35 and ole miss, it’s pitiful. all the D lineman are going to ole miss but we supposedly have the Peterson/Friend in state cleanup crew.

this is why you don’t want this staff in place after the season to manage the huge roster turnover that is coming. they cant analyze talent and they cant recruit. The roster will be stocked with sunbelt level juncos and the next coach will be hamstrung with their terrible decisions.
Yep. It's just bad. all the way around.

Reactions: Nugdawg

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Let's don't bury them all. Hughes, Bumphis, Turner, Knox - those are our guys. And Mele is OK with special teams it appears. Heck I don't even think Barbay is that bad.

The problem is Arnett. I don't really even know if Brock is horrible, or it's something dumb Arnett is doing.
Hughes is a staple.

Barbay continues to ignore what we do well and forcing this team to play more 12 personnel than 10 is criminal! It's stupid. It makes no sense. No other coach would be forcing us to do that. His play calling is all over the place with no consistency.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I count 10 on offense (Rogers, Marks, Walley, Griffin, Harmon, Reese, Jones, Losoya, Robinson, Mosley) and 9 on defense (Davis, Ellington, Anderson, Page, Williams, Nicholson, Richardson, Russell, Morant) that are at least playing significantly. There may be more. And I don't think we were necessarily relying on the 6th year guys to be competent, we wanted them back because they are good players and it was supposed to be an added advantage.

I guess where I disagree is that I don't think we are POORLY talented. We are middle of the road as usual. Coaching makes us look worse.

Walley and Tulu weren’t Leach. They were Moorhead.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Again how many starters for the opening game did Leach bring in?

I get that Covid counts but my question is where would we be without it? How many collectives are having to pay 5th and 6th year guys to field a defense that still isnt very good.

And don’t get me wrong- 2 things can be true. We can have no talent AND we can be poorly coached
We didn’t average 8 wins over the past 2 years and finish ranked last season only because of Emmanual Forbes and Cameron Young. We have guys that don’t suck. What we don’t have now are the elite, NFL caliber guys on D that disrupt and make everyone else better. Particularly on the DL. Every really good MSU team of the past 2 decades has had at least one guy like that….whether it be Cox, Jones, Boyd, Young, Sweat, or Simmons. NIL and the portal makes it very unlikely we’ll ever sign and actually keep one of those guys ever again. That is the real problem.

Talking about improving Leach’s approach to recruiting, guys for our footprint, etc. is just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. I guarantee you that Leach, Brock, Arnett, Spurrier, Miller, Hollinghead, Hughes, every other coach, and every analyst wanted Jaheim Otis badly. They did or do want Jeffrey Rush, Kamarion Franklin, Jamonta Walker, and Kamron Beavers badly. We aren’t getting any of them, and in about 80% of cases it isn’t even Bama and LSU that’s coming in and getting them either. No “approach” from this staff or any other is going to help us get any of them. Period. That is the issue, and its been the issue since 2021. Its not even worth discussing who our next coach should be, what offensive system or defensive system we should run, what assistants we need, whether the &tate is better than the banner, or any other 17ing thing related to our program until that problem is resolved.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
We didn’t average 8 wins over the past 2 years and finish ranked last season only because of Emmanual Forbes and Cameron Young. We have guys that don’t suck. What we don’t have now are the elite, NFL caliber guys on D that disrupt and make everyone else better. Particularly on the DL. Every really good MSU team of the past 2 decades has had at least one guy like that….whether it be Cox, Jones, Boyd, Young, Sweat, or Simmons. NIL and the portal makes it very unlikely we’ll ever sign and actually keep one of those guys ever again. That is the real problem.

Talking about improving Leach’s approach to recruiting, guys for our footprint, etc. is just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. I guarantee you that Leach, Brock, Arnett, Spurrier, Miller, Hollinghead, Hughes, every other coach, and every analyst wanted Jaheim Otis badly. They did or do want Jeffrey Rush, Kamarion Franklin, Jamonta Walker, and Kamron Beavers badly. We aren’t getting any of them, and in about 80% of cases it isn’t even Bama and LSU that’s coming in and getting them either. No “approach” from this staff or any other is going to help us get any of them. Period. That is the issue, and its been the issue since 2021. Its not even worth discussing who our next coach should be, what offensive system or defensive system we should run, what assistants we need, whether the &tate is better than the banner, or any other 17ing thing related to our program until that problem is resolved.
We will have 2 DL in the NFL next year.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Yea, it’s really a mystery what SOS means.
Apparently for you, it is. SOS is something that only matters for CFP contenders. Otherwise, it tells you very little about your win total chances vs. the year before without actual context.
Fact is the sec is down this year and a weak South Carolina team isn’t undefeated national champ Georgia.
aGAIN, replacing a game you have a 1% chance of winning with one you have a 35% chance of winning still means you have a very likely loss on the schedule. It all counts the same. It doesn’t matter if the replacement team is worse. What hurts the most is having your toss-up games shift from home to away. That’s why we always struggle in odd number years.
nor is LSUs bad defense at home the same team as last year. a bad defense we had seven yards at half against.
LSU has Top 5 talent. Therefore, nothing about about what we did in that game ever mattered as much as what they did. Comes down to how they perform before anything else. If they show up and play well, we lose 100% of the time. They showed and played well. We certainly didn’t, but its an L either way. Even if they played like crap and we were perfect, the talent gap was too big. Look at 2014. Worst LSU team since DiNardo with a horrible QB, we played out of our minds with a franchise NFL QB on our side, and they STILL had a chance to win at the end against our best team of the modern era.
This team isn’t bad because of a harder schedule. that’s ridiculous.
Nobody ever said that. But it was, is, and always has been a 6-7 win schedule. Only morons thought we could get 8+ wins with a rookie HC, brand new offensive staff, all of our NFL talent gone in the draft, and 4 of our 6 swing games in conference on the road. Vegas set the O/U at 6.5 for a reason.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
The problem most people agree on is that the staff had way too little input on offers and 2 analysts had all the control.
Input on who we were going to offer a scholarship to, or input on how much to offer in NIL to specific players?

If its the first thing, that’s a problem where the worst players in the class maybe could have been a little bit better, but I don’t see that being our issue. And I highly doubt its the 2nd thing.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
Yea uh huh, 7 yards on offense at half against LSU has nothing to do with coaching “because they have top 5 talent”, that’s why we were beating them on the road late in the game last year.....and that’s why ole miss hung 55 on them, and Arkansas awful offense put up 34 on them.

Good argument.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

Damn, what you wanna do, give up? We can buy a couple of defensive players per year, we aren't dead broke.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Damn, what you wanna do, give up? We can buy a couple of defensive players per year, we aren't dead broke.
Can we? Because there are quite a few for sale right now. Most in one MS class in awhile. If we can, why aren’t we?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Can we? Because there are quite a few for sale right now. Most in one MS class in awhile. If we can, why aren’t we?
That's not a question for me, above my pay grade.

Surely you don't think Fletcher Cox, Denico Autry, Jeffrey Simmons, etc. came here out of the goodness of their maroon hearts do you? NIL was not the beginning of this.

Reactions: 8dog

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Yea uh huh, 7 yards on offense at half against LSU has nothing to do with coaching “because they have top 5 talent”, that’s why we were beating them on the road late in the game last year.....and that’s why ole miss hung 55 on them, and Arkansas awful offense put up 34 on them.

Good argument.
It certainly has to do with coaching, and talent, and execution. Never said it didn’t. I only said it didn’t matter if coaching and execution were perfect that day if the talent’s not there. It was going to be a loss.

And, we scored a whole 2 more points last year. Offense was still trash against them. Maybe you forgot that part. And defense wasn’t great, either.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
That's not a question for me, above my pay grade.

Surely you don't think Fletcher Cox, Denico Autry, Jeffrey Simmons, etc. came here out of the goodness of their maroon hearts do you? NIL was not the beginning of this.
Of course I don’t think that. But we didn’t pay $1 million per player for each of those guys either, which is now the going rate for those types of players…..and that’s probably on the low end.

NIL completely ended the “honor amongst thieves” and the discretion that used to be in place…..where pigs got fat but hogs got slaughtered. When every player is an open bidding war as opposed to a silent auction, the informal protections we used to have to help us at least keep most of the elite MS kids are now gone. It’s all eBay now.

Last edited:

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
It certainly has to do with coaching, and talent, and execution. Never said it didn’t. I only said it didn’t matter if coaching and execution were perfect that day if the talent’s not there. It was going to be a loss.

And, we scored a whole 2 more points last year. Offense was still trash against them. Maybe you forgot that part. And defense wasn’t great, either.
Right, our 2022 game against LSU on the road in which we were leading in the 4th quarter is remotely similar to the travesty we saw this year at home. 7 offensive yards in the first half. Embarrassing.

If Ole Miss put up 55 points on them and Arkansas put up 34 points on them, that’s not talent.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

Good argument.
Yeah it kills me when some of these dudes make the 2006 argument about talent and gaps between schools and all that other LT/Croom shlt. We all know we're at a talent disadvantage but we aren't at a get our a$$es smashed so bad we need a buttplug disadvantage.

Reactions: blitz2Win

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Of course I don’t think that. But we didn’t pay $1 million per player for each of those guys either, which is now the going rate for those types of players.

NIL completely ended the “honor amongst thieves” and the discretion that used to be in place…..where pigs got fat but hogs got slaughtered. When every player is an open bidding war as opposed to a silent auction, the informal protections we used to have to help us at least keep most of the elite MS kids are now gone. It’s all eBay now.
In all seriousness, if that is the going rate, which I doubt, then we should just give up and go all-in on basketball.

So technically I guess I agree with you?

Last edited:

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Right, our 2022 game against LSU on the road in which we were leading in the 4th quarter is remotely similar to the travesty we saw this year at home. 7 offensive yards in the first half. Embarrassing.

If Ole Miss put up 55 points on them and Arkansas put up 34 points on them, that’s not talent.
You continue to miss the point.

And yes, OM and Ark also have a boatload more talent than we do on offense. We don’t have a KJ Jefferson, Rocket Sanders, Quinshon Judkins, Tre Harris, or Jaxon Dart anywhere to be seen, in case you haven’t noticed. We have Tulu and that’s about it.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
Sure, it’s just all talent. How in the world did we go 9-4 last year and finish the year ranked ? maybe Coaching ?

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Sure, it’s just all talent. How in the world did we go 9-4 last year and finish the year ranked ? maybe Coaching ?
Coaching and talent were both better.

Particularly on the defensive side of the ball. On offense, its been mostly a wash but still slightly better this year so far. But the talent is worse across the board. We lost our most talented WR to the portal, we lost our most talented RB to the portal. We lost our most talented DB and most talented DL to the NFL. None of those guys were truly replaced with the possible exception of DJ (or at least there was minimal drop-off from him to Pittman / Davis, etc.), but he was still the most talented back on the team in 2022.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Bye weeks make this board, so enjoyable to read... People constantly reading between every line we might have. The way you guys have drilled down is fascinating.

Always Sunny Reaction GIF

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
In all seriousness, if that is the going rate, which I doubt, then we should just give up and go all-in on basketball.

So technically I guess I agree with you?
If you’re a high 4* or 5* DL in SEC country, it’s the going rate. And that’s still less than elite QB’s and other skill position players. Travis Hunter is reportedly pulling in over $2 million just this year at Colorado.

Bayou Bully

Oct 8, 2023
Yeah the spin is ridiculous. If the Bryan building wants to run cover for a most likely 4-8 coach so they can bring him back another year then we deserve everything we get.

Reactions: blitz2Win

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Pickering and Crumedy will both be playing on Sunday

Yeah, I’m archiving this. Players with legit NFL draft potential and ability don’t skip the NFL draft for….checks notes….two or three years in a row. Crumedy has literally been here for 6 seasons and will be nearly 24 years old when the draft rolls around. You think he’s getting taken? Pickering is about the same….been here 5 years and will be 23.5 years old on draft day.

Those guys simply never broke out to be more than average P5 college players with any elite skill sets, which is why they are still here. The best case for either is that they sign an undrafted free agent contract, which might allow them to bounce around on practice squads for a few years. Chances of them making a 53-man roster and sticking on one for more than 1-2 seasons are almost zilch.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login