CBS predicts 4-8 season

Maccmaine12

Joined Oct 19, 2020
Jan 31, 2022
This must be sarcasm
How? If you don’t think in 2022 we had the roster to win 10 games that year then you actually don’t know what you’re watching. You don’t beat two top 10 teams and be trash. The Oc held us back until Beamer had enough of it. Simple.

Atlanta Cock

Jan 18, 2022
For us to get 8 wins would mean getting 4 wins from: UK, Mizzou, Ole Miss, A&M, LSU, Bama, OU and Clemson.

Let's call UK a win. Where in the other 7 games do fans see us getting 3 wins?
UK is not a win. Not by a long shot.

rockingamecock

Joined Aug 28, 2001
Feb 2, 2022
Year after year after year it's the same old crap. There's no reason why this program can't be successful and I'm afraid that most of us will never live to witness a championship season. Other than Vanderbilt, every SEC team has passed us in football.

Rodemi

Joined Dec 17, 2006
Jan 20, 2022
We have to beat UK for any shot at a bowl game. Any path to more than 4 wins goes through UK. If we lose that game, the rest of the season is academic. We will be guaranteed of no better than 4-8.

Some our fans keep mentioning Mizzou as a possible upset win as well, but I'm not sure why. They absolutely own us right now.
These have a different feel though. I dunno. Even while we were losing to UK, I never felt like they were REALLY that much better than us, which is what made it extra frustrating. Mizzou just appears to be flat-out better though.
They are well coached and return a lot of talent

Reactions: AngloCock

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
There's no reason why this program can't be successful

There must be at least one reason. We've been trying for 130+ years and we've had 4 really good seasons (10+ wins). We have something like a 0.3% success rate. You can't fail as much as we have failed based on pure luck.

We had 2 hall-of-fame coaches back-to-back who could not really breathe life into the program.

Notably, we've never had a coach leave here to go on successfully coach anywhere else. It's called the place where coaches go to die for a reason.

• Sad
Reactions: LazyIslander

Rodemi

Joined Dec 17, 2006
Jan 20, 2022
6 is very doable, 7 will require us to play at a consistently high level

rockingamecock

Joined Aug 28, 2001
Feb 2, 2022
There must be at least one reason. We've been trying for 130+ years and we've had 4 really good seasons (10+ wins). We have something like a 0.3% success rate. You can't fail as much as we have failed based on pure luck.

We had 2 hall-of-fame coaches back-to-back who could not really breathe life into the program.

Notably, we've never had a coach leave here to go on successfully coach anywhere else. It's called the place where coaches go to die for a reason.
It's simply mind boggling.

Reactions: 18IsTheMan

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
It's simply mind boggling.

We have SEC money.

We have a rabid fan base.

We have great facilities.

We are positioned in a talent rich region.

It's really a testimony to our ineptitude that we have failed to find even moderate maintained success.

rockingamecock

Joined Aug 28, 2001
Feb 2, 2022
We have SEC money.

We have a rabid fan base.

We have great facilities.

We are positioned in a talent rich region.

It's really a testimony to our ineptitude that we have failed to find even moderate maintained success.
and unfortunately we have the State legislature.

LazyIslander

Joined Aug 2, 2015
Jan 18, 2022

Sparky Woods had a chance to break the streak. He was the first to actually get a head coaching job after leaving SC, albeit was 15 years after his termination at SC when he hired by VMI. He compiled a 17–62 record in his 6 years there before being let go on 2014.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Sparky Woods had a chance to break the streak. He was the first to actually get a head coaching job after leaving SC, albeit was 15 years after his termination at SC when he hired by VMI. He compiled a 17–62 record in his 6 years there before being let go on 2014.

The overwhelming majority of our coaches either never coached again, Some went on to be assistants elsewhere. Was Sparky the only one who went on to be a head coach again?

rockingamecock

Joined Aug 28, 2001
Feb 2, 2022
This could be the year of reckoning for Beamer. If their predictions are correct, he'll most likely have an overall record of 24-26 at the end of this season.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I think the losing season has a lot to do with that meh class. Follow it up with another? He is definitely on the hot seat come season 5, which is never good for recruiting.

There's a possibility the die may have been cast. Last season was bad, contributing to our ugly '25 recruiting class. Unless we drastically out-perform expectations this year, I don't see us turning it around much. If this season goes how most think it will (with even optimistic fans seeing 6 wins as the ceiling), I think him being canned after '25 could be academic at this point.

It's going to be very difficult to right the ship with 3* recruits. Maybe impossible.

Last edited:
Reactions: gamecock stock

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
I think the losing season has a lot to do with that meh class. Follow it up with another? He is definitely on the hot seat come season 5, which is never good for recruiting.
Spot on, my friend. That being said, I'm not sure he is anything special as a recruiter. Muschamp had better classes.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
There's a possibility the die may have been cast. Last season was bad, contributing to our ugly '25 recruiting class. Unless we drastically out-perform expectations this year, I don't see us turning it around much. If this season goes how most think it will (with even optimistic fans seeing 6 wins as the ceiling), I think him being canned after '25 is academic.

It's going to be very difficult to right the ship with 3* recruits. Maybe impossible.
Have the former players who pushed for Beamer to be hired, ever been identified?

If we lose to Kentucky, 4 wins may be our ceiling this season. Recruiting will be in the pits.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Spot on, my friend. That being said, I'm not sure he is anything special as a recruiter. Muschamp had better classes.
Hypothetically we go 5-7 this year. Let's say Beamer goes 6-6 and wins a bowl in '25. Does that save his job?

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Can a school in our position fire a coach who just won a bowl game?

on the other hand

Do we want to send the signal to recruits that 7-5 is the standard for success?
My view is that if the best a coach in his 5th season can do is 7-6, very mediocre, I just don't think that is acceptable. It not only sends a poor message to recruits, it sends a message to the other sports at USC that mediocrity will keep you employed.

SILVERSPUR-rier

Joined Nov 18, 2004
Jan 18, 2022
Most 4-8 teams actually suck. Maybe all of them do.
Most teams don’t play in the same year Alabama (#5 - #7), Mizzou (#8 - #8), Ole Miss (#9 - #6), LSU (#12 - #14), OU (#15 - #18) and Clemson (#20 - #16) and UK ( NA - #23) and Texas A&M (NA - #25) (2023 final rankings - 2024 pre-season rankings). Yes, I know, there is no crying in SEC Football. At least we don’t have to also play pre-season #1 Georgia or #15 Tennessee as well. Are there any other unranked teams that play 8 pre-season top 25 teams this year?

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Most teams don’t play in the same year Alabama (#5 - #7), Mizzou (#8 - #8), Ole Miss (#9 - #6), LSU (#12 - #14), OU (#15 - #18) and Clemson (#20 - #16) and UK ( NA - #23) and Texas A&M (NA - #25) (2023 final rankings - 2024 pre-season rankings). Yes, I know, there is no crying in SEC Football. At least we don’t have to also play pre-season #1 Georgia or #15 Tennessee as well. Are there any other unranked teams that play 8 pre-season top 25 teams this year?
How have Ole Miss and Missouri become so good by their coaches 4th seasons there? Both were Top 10 teams in Kiffin's and Drinkwitz' 4th seasons last year. Beamer is going into his 4th season here this year. Why not us? Ole Miss beat Penn State and LSU last year. Missouri beat Ohio State last year. I'm not saying Beamer should produce a Top 10 team in his 4th season. But damn, we are talking of only winning 4-6 games in his 4th season here. The bar has been set pretty low for Beamer.

Last edited:

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
How have Ole Miss and Missouri become so good by their coaches 4th seasons there? Both were Top 10 teams in Kiffin's and Drinkwitz' 4th seasons last year. Beamer is going into his 4th season here this year. Why not us?

Mizzou is what really kills me. They are historically a bit better than us, but they're not anywhere near blue blood status. First we got 5-peated by UK and now by Mizzou. It's understandable of the UGAs, Bamas and UTs of the world 5-peat us, but Mizzou and UK?

Reactions: gamecock stock

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Mizzou is what really kills me. They are historically a bit better than us, but they're not anywhere near blue blood status. First we got 5-peated by UK and now by Mizzou. It's understandable of the UGAs, Bamas and UTs of the world 5-peat us, but Mizzou and UK?
And Missouri, in Drinkwitz, 4th season beat Ohio State. And Kiffin in his 4th season beat LSU and Penn State. I'm not saying that Beamer should produce a Top 10 team in his 4th season like Drinkwitz and Kiffin did in their 4th seasons last year. But, damn, we are talking about Beamer winning 4-6 games in his 4th season here and saying, "That's OK Shane". The bar has been set VERY low for Beamer. That's ridiculous. What am I missing?

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
And Missouri, in Drinkwitz, 4th season beat Ohio State. And Kiffin in his 4th season beat LSU and Penn State. I'm not saying that Beamer should produce a Top 10 team in his 4th season like Drinkwitz and Kiffin did in their 4th seasons last year. But, damn, we are talking about Beamer winning 4-6 games in his 4th season here and saying . "That's OK Shane". The bar has been set VERY low for Beamer. That's ridiculous. What am I missing?

Yeah, with 5 wins last year, the problem is we go into Year 4 with 6 wins being viewed as a sign of progress.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
To add to what I said about Drinkwitz and Kiffin: They both replaced fired Head Coaches. So they inherited no better a situation than Beamer did.

Beamer has no track record of succeeding as a Head Coach. So, I believe his leash should be VERY short. If it looks like he is mediocre, don't waste a lot of time on him.

Snake006

Joined Aug 7, 2007
Jan 31, 2022
Tough schedule is not an excuse. Every team in the SEC has a tough schedule. We need to either get out of it, or except 6–7-win seasons with a very occasional 8–9-win season

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Tough schedule is not an excuse. Every team in the SEC has a tough schedule. We need to either get out of it, or except 6–7-win seasons with a very occasional 8–9-win season

When's the last time we didn't bemoan our schedule?

• Haha
Reactions: Lurker123

Patriot321

Jan 29, 2022
For us to get 8 wins would mean getting 4 wins from: UK, Mizzou, Ole Miss, A&M, LSU, Bama, OU and Clemson.

Let's call UK a win. Where in the other 7 games do fans see us getting 3 wins?
I don't count UK as a win but it is the one that we are most likely to win, out of those teams. I am honestly struggling to see us beating any of those other teams, don't know much about A&M but it's a home game, so I think that's our 2nd best chance other than UK.

Patriot321

Jan 29, 2022
Has anyone actually called for 8 wins? Much less 10?
I honestly don't get on here much anymore, so can't say they have on here, but I would imagine there are a few. That said, on other sites there are plenty! Again, not as many as last year though.

Reactions: Lurker123

vacock

Joined Oct 26, 1998 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 20, 2022
UK is not a win. Not by a long shot.
But we want to win really badly.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login