CBS predicts 4-8 season

DeBoer31

Joined Jun 19, 2015
Jan 28, 2022
We have SEC money.

We have a rabid fan base.

We have great facilities.

We are positioned in a talent rich region.

It's really a testimony to our ineptitude that we have failed to find even moderate maintained success.
I think you should clarify...the ineptitude of those doing the hiring.
Instead of going after Steve Spurrier in the 88 off season...or someone who was coaching D1 football at the time with a similar offensive style that the fans had grown accustomed to and appreciated..... instead we go after Sparky Woods.
You can make an argument that Brad Scott was a good hire, the right hire at the time. If you do this for a living, and have the resources and time to dig in and vett guys....you might've found that FSU was the most talented team in the nation from about 87-93....so WITHOUT those players would you expect anything close to what FSU had done? Additionally he was coaching under a known "would be" future HOFer too and alongside multiple coaching talents. It wasn't like it was the Brad Scott show while at FSU.
Loved the Holtz pick. The right move.
Loved the SOS pick. The right move.
WM: Wanted Kirby Smart and a couple others. I knew we were getting an old bridesmaid that in good light wasn't gonna be what we wnated.
SB: Unbelievable risk IMO. I still can't believe this was the guy they zeroed in on. I see the dim upside (pedigree, connections, great in a room, energy) but still throw up in my mouth a little that the line that kept being sold on us was that he kept a scrapbook of what other good coaches did. SMH. If I'm one of the 3-5 people who have the most serious/impactful part in making this hire decision I would 100% been the one saying "where is a scrapbook of HIS good decisions and ideas? ....And why hasn't he been given reign over a side of the ball to prove or disprove himself?" Such an unbelievable stretch of a hire; one of the biggest in history of CFB as far as I'm concerned.

DeBoer31

Joined Jun 19, 2015
Jan 28, 2022
How have Ole Miss and Missouri become so good by their coaches 4th seasons there? Both were Top 10 teams in Kiffin's and Drinkwitz' 4th seasons last year. Beamer is going into his 4th season here this year. Why not us? Ole Miss beat Penn State and LSU last year. Missouri beat Ohio State last year. I'm not saying Beamer should produce a Top 10 team in his 4th season. But damn, we are talking of only winning 4-6 games in his 4th season here. The bar has been set pretty low for Beamer.
coaching talent.

Beanerball

Jul 17, 2023
To me it all comes down to QB play. If Sellers takes off, 6 maybe 7 wins. If he’s average, 4 to 5 is the ceiling I think. My best case scenario is 6 wins, but I wouldn’t put any money on it.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
coaching talent.
Exactly. I have been criticized, by some, because I'm expecting and calling for a 7-5 record. A 7-5 record will mean we have a .500 SEC conference record; that's 4-4 in the conference. If Beamer cannot win half his conference games in his 4th season, what the heck has he been doing these 4 years? I don't believe that's too much to expect in his 4th season. If Beamer cannot win half of his conference games in his 4th season, then that is evidence he may not be the right man for the job. His seat should then be blazing.

Reactions: DeBoer31

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Exactly. I have been criticized, by some, because I'm expecting and calling for a 7-5 record. A 7-5 record will mean we have a .500 SEC conference record; that's 4-4 in the conference. If Beamer cannot win half his conference games in his 4th season, what the heck has he been doing these 4 years? I don't believe that's too much to expect in his 4th season. If Beamer cannot win half of his conference games in his 4th season, then that is evidence he may not be the right man for the job. His seat should then be blazing.

Spurrier was 3-5 in his 5th season, though. He was 18-22 through 5 seasons.

If you take out the three 6-2 seasons, he was only 26-34 in conference play.

Obviously, the 6-win seasons count, but it shows his overall body of work in conference play was largely not great.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
I hope Carolina fans will not excuse Beamer if he fails to go 4-4 in the conference. Some say we have a tough schedule. They point to Missouri and Ole Miss, among others, making it tough. You know why Ole Miss and Missouri will be tough? Because Drinkwitz and Kiffin are good coaches who have been doing their jobs. Beamer should be held accountable if he does not do his.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
18, I understand that. But Spurrier had a track record of success. We knew he could get it done. We rolled the dice on Beamer, who has never been a Head Coach. He cannot be given the benefit of doubt. Again, I point to Drinkwitz and Kiffin, who replaced fired coaches. They got and are getting the job done.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I hope Carolina fans will not excuse Beamer if he fails to go 4-4 in the conference. Some say we have a tough schedule. They point to Missouri and Ole Miss, among others, making it tough. You know why Ole Miss and Missouri will be tough? Because Drinkwitz and Kiffin are good coaches who have been doing their jobs. Beamer should be held accountable if he does not do his.

Every coach who has ever been here has failed (Morrison gets a pass b/c he died).

Why are we holding Beamer to a higher standard?

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Carlen didn't fail. He gave us the best teams we had. He got fired because he opposed Holderman. Morrison produced 2 Top 15 teams but died. We hired 2 coaches who were way past their prime , nearing retirement. 1. Holtz, who produced a Top 20 and Top 15 teams here.2. Spurrier, who produced 3 Top 10 teams here. The only young, proven winners at other FBS schools we hired were Carlen, who ran afoul of the school President and Morrison, who died. I suppose you could put Paul Dietzel in that category. He won our only conference championship. But he was also burdened by being AD, as was by the way, Carlen.

I am not saying these guys were annually successful. But they did produce some of our best years. Other than Joe Morrison, we really have not hired a young, successful FBS Head Coach to strictly coach. And he died.

I'm not saying fire Beamer if he does not win half his conference games in his 4th season. But then his 5th season should be "do or die", imho.

Last edited:

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Every coach who has ever been here has failed (Morrison gets a pass b/c he died).

Why are we holding Beamer to a higher standard?
Here is another reason: the Transfer Portal allows you to build your team quickly. That is what Missouri and Ole Miss have done. That is why Missouri and Ole Miss became Top 10 teams in Drinkwitz' and Kiffin's 4th seasons. Why not us?

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Here is another reason: the Transfer Portal allows you to build your team quickly. That is what Missouri and Ole Miss have done. That is why Missouri and Ole Miss became Top 10 teams in Drinkwitz' and Kiffin's 4th seasons. Why not us?

I have no idea.

In all the changes that have taken place over the history of college football, one constant has been USC being mediocre.

We have looked for answers to the "why not us?" question from every angle.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
I have no idea.

In all the changes that have taken place over the history of college football, one constant has been USC being mediocre.

We have looked for answers to the "why not us?" question from every angle.
One thing is for sure: It has been proven that it is possible for South Carolina football to be better than mediocre. The only way for that to happen in the LONG-TERM is for a young and talented coach to be here to do that. Hiring outstanding coaches who are or are near Medicare eligibility (65) is a short-term solution. Although I was vehemently against the hiring of Beamer, because he is unproven (doing your initial Head Coaching football job in the SEC is CRAZY), I am hoping that Beamer has the coaching chops to succeed. Honestly, I have my doubts about Beamer. His entire USC history is tied around 2 games in 2022..... Tennessee and Clemson. But I have not forgotten the close calls against far inferior opponents: East Carolina, Troy, Vanderbilt and Jax State. I want Shane Beamer to be the one. I don't know about you but, I'm too old to start over with another one.

I think we need to come to the realization that we will never consistently out recruit most in the SEC. We never have, not doing it now and we never will. The ONLY way we can have success in football is to have a Head Football coach who has "coaching chops". Does that mean winning the SEC? No. But it does mean being respected and feared as an opponent, as we have been at times in the past.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeBoer31

Atlanta Cock

Jan 18, 2022
And Beamer was pushed on us to hire because he was supposedly a super recruiter. Well, so was Richard Bell, Sparky Woods, Brad Scott and Will Muschamp. They all got fired in short order.
Bell was hired bc he was a good Christian.

Atlanta Cock

Jan 18, 2022

If you take out the three 6-2 seasons, he was only 26-34 in conference play.

Obviously, the 6-win seasons count, but it shows his overall body of work in conference play was largely not great.
SOS had cred. I have zero faith in Beamer. Less than zero actually. It's not fun now.

Reactions: gamecock stock
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login