Cease with the Cancel Culture and Censorship

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Seriously, unless the political threads divulge into actual threats, I wish the mods would let it ride. This forum is filled with a healthy degree banality and name-calling whether the topic is baseball, women’s golf, or the weather.

Most of the angst peters out after 24 hours anyway. Allow us to hit it and quit it with our latest political hot take.

...or inanely keep it going, raising our own blood pressure and anxiety levels and, thus, culling the heard.

I'm learning from you people -- the value of which remains in question, but it's learning nonetheless.

Last edited:

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
I think they have to be honest. Just look at the bud light one from the other day. They let it get to the point where people were basically talking about each others’ moms before they stopped it. Them locking a thread that has gone completely off the rails is not censorship or cancel culture. Also, can we PLEASE stop using the term “cancel culture”?

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I think they have to be honest. Just look at the bud light one from the other day. They let it get to the point where people were basically talking about each others’ moms before they stopped it. Them locking a thread that has gone completely off the rails is not censorship or cancel culture. Also, can we PLEASE stop using the term “cancel culture”?
What did they say about my mama?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Also, can we PLEASE stop using the term “cancel culture”?
Only a virtue signaling snowflake groomer who thinks J6 was a treasonous insurrection when it was actually a peaceful tour would plead for that term to be retired. Dont be a groomer, groomer!***

I cant *** that comment enough. For the masses- it should be clear that I am totally joking and just using a lot of meaningless trendy words.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Only a virtue signaling snowflake groomer who thinks J6 was a treasonous insurrection when it was actually a peaceful tour would plead for that term to be retired. Dont be a groomer, groomer!***

I cant *** that comment enough. For the masses- it should be clear that I am totally joking and just using a lot of meaningless trendy words.
1683745726762.png

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
This world has just gotten 17ing weird.

Games Horse GIF by Rocket Beans TV

Reactions: Moondawgg

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
What is preferred instead of "cancel culture", I thought that was kind of a nice way to put it?

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
What do you expect? As long as half our entire country listens to Rush, Alex Jones, and the 100s of other conservative right radio shows that slowly destroy our country one conspiracy theory after another slowly ratcheting our sentiment from everything from my personal issues to nationwide events like Oklahoma City Bombing to 9-11 conspiracies, birther ********, then there is no where to go and nothing to fix. This all started in the 1980s when they ended the fairness doctrine. Say what you want, but there was no liberal media equal to what Rush and Alex Jones did to the United States. They pushed conspiracy after conspiracy all the while making hundreds of millions/billions of dollars. Sure there was a fear in the US population. Sure there was anger in the US population. But these two individuals eliminated governing in this country, for no other 17n reason than to make money.

News flash, Obama never came after anyone's guns.
Obama was not a Muslim, and so what if he were?
Trump is not Jesus.
There is no New World Order.
Q is a 17n idiot.
There was no conspiracy surrounding 911.

This is not to be political, but the constant drip is the issue. Everyone is defcom 2 and it needs to stop.

Can we all just agree that we want Mitt Romney to run for President and all agree to vote for him. Give me Mitt or Al Franken. Or Mitt and Al Franken on a dual ticket. Neither person is evil, and both obviously wants the politics to cut it the 17 out and move to the center. Let the ticket switch out after 2 years. Give me direct election of Supreme Court Justices for approval. No way the Senate should be allowed to approve. Gives way too much power to Idaho.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Seriously, unless the political threads divulge into actual threats, I wish the mods would let it ride. This forum is filled with a healthy degree banality and name-calling whether the topic is baseball, women’s golf, or the weather.

Most of the angst peters out after 24 hours anyway. Allow us to hit it and quit it with our latest political hot take.

...or inanely keep it going, raising our own blood pressure and anxiety levels and, thus, culling the heard.

I'm learning from you people -- the value of which remains in question, but it's learning nonetheless.
So I’ll chime in here. To your first sentence about people name calling in threads about golf and baseball, those threads tend to go longer because they are threads about sports on a SPORTS MESSAGE BOARD. If you want to discuss politics I can give you dozens of avenues to do that, there aren’t many free State message boards.

Second point: The threads don’t peter out, they get locked. There are multiple posters on here that could go back and forth about politics until the end of time if they jwere allowed to go unchecked.

If those threads went unchecked, I can guarantee the front page would be clogged up with 100+ posts threads on Biden, Trump, Bud Light, Inflation, etc. Admittedly it was way worse with threaded view back in the day, but it would still happen here. Not only do the rules limit the impact of threads that are opened but I guarandamntee it prevents countless threads from being opened at all.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
What is preferred instead of "cancel culture", I thought that was kind of a nice way to put it?
I don’t care. Anything. Cancel culture has become a term The politicians just throw around anytime the other side disagrees with something. And then they try to cancel the people that were canceling them. And then both sides talk about how terrible the other side is. The term cancel culture just kind of triggers me. I’m sure I’m not alone.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

heh heh...heh heh...he said "peters out"

MrKotter

Aug 22, 2012
What do you expect? As long as half our entire country listens to Rush, Alex Jones, and the 100s of other conservative right radio shows that slowly destroy our country one conspiracy theory after another slowly ratcheting our sentiment from everything from my personal issues to nationwide events like Oklahoma City Bombing to 9-11 conspiracies, birther ********, then there is no where to go and nothing to fix. This all started in the 1980s when they ended the fairness doctrine. Say what you want, but there was no liberal media equal to what Rush and Alex Jones did to the United States. They pushed conspiracy after conspiracy all the while making hundreds of millions/billions of dollars. Sure there was a fear in the US population. Sure there was anger in the US population. But these two individuals eliminated governing in this country, for no other 17n reason than to make money.

Trump is not Jesus.
Q is a 17n idiot.

This is not to be political, but the constant drip is the issue. Everyone is defcom 2 and it needs to stop.

Can we all just agree that we want Mitt Romney to run for President and all agree to vote for him. Give me Mitt or Al Franken. Or Mitt and Al Franken on a dual ticket. Neither person is evil, and both obviously wants the politics to cut it the 17 out and move to the center. Let the ticket switch out after 2 years. Give me direct election of Supreme Court Justices for approval. No way the Senate should be allowed to approve. Gives way too much power to Idaho.
Bless your heart

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Who benefits the most from our division? It's not everyday hard working Americans regardless of who they vote for so who benefits the most from the division? That is where energy and thought should be directed.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I don’t care. Anything. Cancel culture has become a term The politicians just throw around anytime the other side disagrees with something. And then they try to cancel the people that were canceling them. And then both sides talk about how terrible the other side is. The term cancel culture just kind of triggers me. I’m sure I’m not alone.
Very well said.
'Cancel culture' has become, like so many other terms, quite meaningless due to misuse and overuse. This is why I referenced a handful of other terms that are misused and overused.

- virtue signal
- snowflake
- groomer

All mean basically nothing at this point, just like 'cancel culture', since they have been so grossly misused and overused. People use the terms for all sorts of instances that arent actually any of those terms.

I guess language is constantly evolving though, so maybe this is just reality and words like 'groomer' now mean all sorts of things that arent even close to what the actual established terms mean.

Reactions: ckDOG

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Who benefits the most from our division? It's not everyday hard working Americans regardless of who they vote for so who benefits the most from the division? That is where energy and thought should be directed.
So FoxNews, CNN, Moms for Liberty, NRA, MSNBC, etc etc?
^excludes individual people. Too long of a list in politics and commentary.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
So, side note DogieDaddie13, literally more than half of the threads on the front page are non sports related. So SPORTS MESSAGE BOARD, seems hollow. I’m unlocking it after Der’s bedtime which I assume is 6 PM because he has Der to kill in the AM. Go crazy!

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
unlocked. So I believe where we left off was Glfr, MrKotter, Drebin, Lordmcbuckethead, and a few others discussing the intricacies of censorship and the overall shape of democracy as a whole? Proceeeeed…

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Bless your heart

The constant drip of conspiracy theories that have permeated into our politics over years of spewing the same bullcrap has made governing impossible. I remember the day when democrats and republicans could sit down, give and take, and come up with solutions. Throughout the 1900s, everyone could sit down and compromise. Conservative Talk Radio ended that the second George HW Bush raised taxes. They weaponized a system that was developed to educate, the air waves. No republican since would be tolerated to work across the aisle. If they didn't go along with every crazy *** theory put out there, they were primaried. Hell even the TEA party started off with a clear mission and then was taken over by the radical right. Remember all those republicans that got primaried due to working on Healthcare. I do. They all lost. Then we spent 15 years failing to repeal it, why? Because healthcare reform was needed in the worst way, still is too.

Reactions: FQDawg

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016

Trump is not Jesus.
Q is a 17n idiot.

Hahahahahahahahhaha. Electing judges? That works out TERRIBLY in every state that does so and would mark the end of democracy. Mississippi judges, as a general rule, are incompetent, lazy, and responsive to the political opinions/money folks in the local jurisdiction they are in. That’s exactly what judges are not supposed to be. They are supposed to be insulated from political pressure, opinions, presidents, governors, and MOST of all, the general public.

Anyone who believes judges should be elected has absolutely no clue.

PhredPhantom

Mar 3, 2008

Trump is not Jesus.
Q is a 17n idiot.

I don’t think half the country listens to Rush anymore.

PhredPhantom

Mar 3, 2008
Very well said.
'Cancel culture' has become, like so many other terms, quite meaningless due to misuse and overuse. This is why I referenced a handful of other terms that are misused and overused.

- virtue signal
- snowflake
- groomer

All mean basically nothing at this point, just like 'cancel culture', since they have been so grossly misused and overused. People use the terms for all sorts of instances that arent actually any of those terms.

I guess language is constantly evolving though, so maybe this is just reality and words like 'groomer' now mean all sorts of things that arent even close to what the actual established terms mean.
You must be talking about terms like

-extremist
-racist
-white supremacist

Those kinds of terms?
BTW, I’ve been called an extremist before.

PhredPhantom

Mar 3, 2008
It might help if we knew what the rules and guidelines are for getting a thread locked so we’d know what not to do and so we could all know when they’re being applied evenly and fairly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login