Cease with the Cancel Culture and Censorship

Status
Not open for further replies.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I know this is meant to be humorous but it is an example of how the term "cancel culture" is used incorrectly. Because the Roman Catholic church is still very much in existence.

But it does remind me of one of my all-time favorite jokes. What do you call a sleepwalking nun? A roamin' catholic.

Stand-Up Lol GIF by Muppet Wiki
You know it's OK to kiss a nun, just don't get into the habit...

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Hahahahahahahahhaha. Electing judges? That works out TERRIBLY in every state that does so and would mark the end of democracy. Mississippi judges, as a general rule, are incompetent, lazy, and responsive to the political opinions/money folks in the local jurisdiction they are in. That’s exactly what judges are not supposed to be. They are supposed to be insulated from political pressure, opinions, presidents, governors, and MOST of all, the general public.

Anyone who believes judges should be elected has absolutely no clue.
Terribly? Sometimes. There's no perfect way. We have plenty of appointed federal judges that think of themselves as super legislators. THey openly talk about a "living constitution", which basically means the law says what they want it to say. And there are no consequences for them because they have lifetime appointments.

I still prefer appointed judges to elected ones, and do think it's a better system, but it's not like electing judges is crazy compared to appointing them. I wish Mississippi would appoint judges and then have them stand for recall every four years. Right now there are lots of terrible judges but nobody wants to give up a successful practice to run a campaign to make less money. And if you lose you have to worry about practicing in front of the judge.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
You rookies have to play the game. It's 2023. Swallow your pride to get what you want. Look no further than the corporate-controlled media to see what the rules of engagement are. I have 100% embraced the following (and the sooner you do, the sooner you will see change).

1. embrace cancel culture. just know it's a double-edged sword.
2. be hypocritical. it doesn't matter what you said last year, last month, or last week. you have to play "in the now". Feel free to change your mind at any point in time. Things happen quickly and news cycles are short.
3. don't overly entrench yourself on any side of a debate. at some point, you will be left high and dry.
4. just lie. seriously. lie until it gets accepted. 17 it.
5. double down on your lies.
6. the idea of "setting precedence" is antiquated and irrelevant. what happened last week has no bearing on what can happen tomorrow. Again, you MUST live "in the now".
7. reevaluate your allegiance to any politician every 6 weeks. If they aren't living up to their promise, see rule #1.
8. Do NOT under any circumstance be loyal to a politician. 100% of the time they will 17 you. (see rule #3)
9. be selfish. look out for your family and loved ones. you can't make everyone happy.
10. ridicule anything that goes against your moral compass. weirdos need to know they are weirdos.
11. avoid debates revolving around qualitative things like feelings. It's a trap. Don't waste your time on it.
12. there is a 99% chance that your enemy is more steadfast than you. be vigilant.
Emotion Reaction GIF

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Terribly? Sometimes. There's no perfect way. We have plenty of appointed federal judges that think of themselves as super legislators. THey openly talk about a "living constitution", which basically means the law says what they want it to say. And there are no consequences for them because they have lifetime appointments.

I still prefer appointed judges to elected ones, and do think it's a better system, but it's not like electing judges is crazy compared to appointing them. I wish Mississippi would appoint judges and then have them stand for recall every four years. Right now there are lots of terrible judges but nobody wants to give up a successful practice to run a campaign to make less money. And if you lose you have to worry about practicing in front of the judge.
A "living constitution" only means that our standards evolve over time. For example, the 8th(?) Amendments prohibition on cruel and unusual punishment. What our society thinks that means today is likely different from what people (white male landowners) thought it meant in 1787. And that's proper and appropriate.

And it's always hilarious to hear the (old) conservatives trot this out, after their beloved "strict construction" SC justices have legislated from the bench to the extreme for years now. 360 rule #2 in action.

Reactions: FQDawg

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

This whole 'living document' vs 'strict constructionist' debate is such BS.

From more than 30 years ago, talks about interpreting/ignoring the 4th Amendment when its convenient.

From over 50 years ago, and it talks about examples from over 100 years ago.

There are absolutely countless examples this century of 'strict constructionism(originalism)' being totally ignored when it suits a person or case. Originalism rose in popularity back in the 70s as a result of the Warren Court being seen, by those who disliked rulings, as too freewheeling. Rulings werent supposed to interpret prior case law or written law and instead, rulings were only supposed to be based on the words that were written(and ignore what was unwritten). This is quite idealistic, and it sounds great to most people. Its hot trash in application since so much of what Originalists base their views on is, in fact, interpretation of prior case law or written law.
Interpretation is not Originalism, no matter how much wiggling and justifying is done to claim otherwise.

FQDawg

May 1, 2006

From more than 30 years ago, talks about interpreting/ignoring the 4th Amendment when its convenient.

There are absolutely countless examples this century of 'strict constructionism(originalism)' being totally ignored when it suits a person or case. Originalism rose in popularity back in the 70s as a result of the Warren Court being seen, by those who disliked rulings, as too freewheeling. Rulings werent supposed to interpret prior case law or written law and instead, rulings were only supposed to be based on the words that were written(and ignore what was unwritten). This is quite idealistic, and it sounds great to most people. Its hot trash in application since so much of what Originalists base their views on is, in fact, interpretation of prior case law or written law.
Interpretation is not Originalism, no matter how much wiggling and justifying is done to claim otherwise.
My favorite is when Barrett claimed to be an originalist during her confirmation hearing. If she were truly an originalist, she'd believe she wasn't allowed to vote, much less be a judge.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

The fact that some judges don't follow it on their pet issues despite claiming to follow it is not a problem with the doctrine itself. Nor does the doctrine imply that there are easy answers to every question or that reasonable people can't disagree in good faith. But it's much better than the view that the constitution or statutes mean whatever 5 justices say they mean (or worse, that they mean whatever one judge says and that there will be a nationwide injunction until a higher judge or panel says differently). People claim to care about democray or republicanism so much but think 5 lawyers from two different law schools should get to correct the constitution or Congress or the executive whenever they feel like it.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
My favorite is when Barrett claimed to be an originalist during her confirmation hearing. If she were truly an originalist, she'd believe she wasn't allowed to vote, much less be a judge.
You realize being an originalist doesn't mean you think the 27 amendments are invalid, right?

Reactions: PhredPhantom

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Happy Title 42 Day!!!!!
I'm just now listening to our secretary tell us that all of this is Congress's fault and we don't have a crisis at the border. It's just a little problem that everybody in the western hemisphere has.

People have no idea just how bad it is here in Texas. I'm concerned because Title 42 ends this while this weekend and we're expecting flooding rains in Texas. I am afraid it's gonna be one hell of a mess. We will have thousands of people trying to cross the border with a flooding Red River. I can't wait to hear that's all Trump's fault.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
The fact that some judges don't follow it on their pet issues despite claiming to follow it is not a problem with the doctrine itself. Nor does the doctrine imply that there are easy answers to every question or that reasonable people can't disagree in good faith. But it's much better than the view that the constitution or statutes mean whatever 5 justices say they mean (or worse, that they mean whatever one judge says and that there will be a nationwide injunction until a higher judge or panel says differently). People claim to care about democray or republicanism so much but think 5 lawyers from two different law schools should get to correct the constitution or Congress or the executive whenever they feel like it.
Uh, that kinda is a problem with the doctrine. A BIG problem. It means the constitution means whatever I want it to mean, because when strict construction fits my desires, then strict construction it is, but when it doesn't fit my desires, then to hell with it. As opposed to a "living constitution", which means interpretation is dependent on society as a whole (and NOT whatever I want it to mean, which is a VERY bad faith argument to be making).

Besides, it's not "some judges". It's the entire conservative movement. There are not "strict construction" conservatives out there making the case that Heller is not strict construction. The entire movement embraces the revisionism of that ruling. Among many other examples.

Also besides, no strict constructionists actually believe in strict construction. For example, the don't believe ANY law restricting freedom of speech or the press or whatever, is unconstitutional. Despite that that's exactly what the text says, with no allowable exceptions. They INTERPRET exceptions into it. Without fail. Hell, the entire concept of judicial review is something not allowed by strict construction!

The truth is "strict construction" was invented to justify the rulings conservatives wanted to make. It is bad faith through and through.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

Man! I wish I knew enough about this to argue with someone on here!

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I am still trying to figure out why a group of people on a sports board are supposed to be so well-versed in all aspects of politics.
Honestly, I'm convinced that very few people are well versed in anything that requires reading comprehension. and critical thinking. That is true for our general population, thus true in Congress, on message boards; everywhere. The miracle is this ship even sails with the levels of ignorance, incompetence and selfishness inherent to our system of government!

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016

I hate to break it to you but the Constitution is a living document. “Came alive” about 100ish years ago. There is no longer a rule of written law, it’s just whatever judge or judges think the result should be. You are free to disagree but I’ve seen the sausage made from within, and as an attorney watching the sausage maker.

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
You realize being an originalist doesn't mean you think the 27 amendments are invalid, right?
You might want to tell that to the conservatives judges around the country who are taking every opportunity to strip Americans of the rights guaranteed by those amendments and whose only publicly expressed argument for doing so seems to be that those rights weren't specifically enumerated in the OG constitution.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Honestly, I'm convinced that very few people are well versed in anything that requires reading comprehension. and critical thinking. That is true for our general population, thus true in Congress, on message boards; everywhere. The miracle is this ship even sails with the levels of ignorance, incompetence and selfishness inherent to our system of government!
You're probably right. But honestly, you should be fine without a Ph.D. to be a part of our government and make help things run correctly. You might need an MBA to know how to properly invest that lobby money.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
I hate to break it to you but the Constitution is a living document. “Came alive” about 100ish years ago. There is no longer a rule of written law, it’s just whatever judge or judges think the result should be. You are free to disagree but I’ve seen the sausage made from within, and as an attorney watching the sausage maker.
Of late that is my observation as well. I think it is a recent development, but maybe it's always been that way.

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
This is not a great thing, but it's entirely legal and all too common among our elites. It's not considered corruption (though maybe it should be). As Trump said about gaming his taxes, that makes me smart (not corrupt). In other words, where's the beef? Meanwhile, we have so much worse happening with the Trump family, and the same people who harp about the Bidens see no problem with it. It doesn't work that way. You can't have a problem with a Biden relative grifting a few companies for a few million but have no problem with Jared literally being paid billions by the Saudis. There is no credibility whatsoever in that position.

You literally made the claim that a Biden relative did business with a business that does business with China. No sir, you can't 6-degrees-of-Kevin Bacon it like that.
Jared was paid billions by the Saudis? Please provide a credible source to prove this.
But if they're all your businesses and they have no purpose other than to launder money to your family???

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
You do know that the Washington Times is not a legitimate news outlet, right? They peddle conspiracy theories with no basis in fact.
And anything you consider a legitimate news outlet I would likely consider as only running cover for the left and ignoring facts. (The southern border is currently under control, the Russian disinformation laptop, lab leak conspiracy......)

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
I am still trying to figure out why a group of people on a sports board are supposed to be so well-versed in all aspects of politics.
It's kinda like rival sports discussions. Some folks like to spin the turd of a team they root for as better than the other team regardless of performance or circumstance. Or when they lose, make up some ******** as to why they got cheated by their rival or wouldn't have lost it A, B, or C happened. Simple tribalism.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Seriously, unless the political threads divulge into actual threats, I wish the mods would let it ride. This forum is filled with a healthy degree banality and name-calling whether the topic is baseball, women’s golf, or the weather.

Most of the angst peters out after 24 hours anyway. Allow us to hit it and quit it with our latest political hot take.

...or inanely keep it going, raising our own blood pressure and anxiety levels and, thus, culling the heard.

I'm learning from you people -- the value of which remains in question, but it's learning nonetheless.
I guess the fun police locked it but we went 27 hours and 105 posts and this bad boy was going strong.

I am particularly impressed that we went from cancel culture to in depth Judicial discussions with some other shots scattered throughout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login