CELTICS!!!!

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Proud of my Mavs, though. Looks like Luka is going under the knife this summer.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Travelling.

No goal.
Who Cares Tommy Lee Jones GIF

• Haha
Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
Travel? Of all the travel that could and should be called in the NBA, this isnt an example.
He dribbles, collects, and shoots.

He dribbles, shuffles both feet a few times (i.e., travels), and shoots.

Serious question: has the "travelling" rule in basketball been changed at any point in the last 10 years?

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
Just looked up the "travelling" rule in the NBA Rule Book.

Rule #10, Section XIIIb:
  1. A player who gathers the ball while progressing may take (1) two steps in coming to a stop, passing or shooting the ball, or (2) if he has not yet dribbled, one step prior to releasing the ball. A player who gathers the ball while dribbling may take two steps in coming to a stop, passing, or shooting the ball.
    1. The first step occurs when a foot, or both feet, touch the floor after gaining control of the ball.
    2. The second step occurs after the first step when the other foot touches the floor, or both feet touch the floor simultaneously.
    3. A player who comes to a stop on step one when both feet are on the floor or touch the floor simultaneously may pivot using either foot as his pivot. If he jumps with both feet he must release the ball before either foot touches the floor.
    4. A player who lands with one foot first may only pivot using that foot.
    5. A progressing player who jumps off one foot on the first step may land with both feet simultaneously for the second step. In this situation, the player may not pivot with either foot and if one or both feet leave the floor the ball must be released before either returns to the floor.
Did Pritchard take only two steps as he "gathered" the ball after dribbling?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
He dribbles, shuffles both feet a few times (i.e., travels), and shoots.

Serious question: has the "travelling" rule in basketball been changed at any point in the last 10 years?

He gathers as his right foot touches the floor.
He then takes a step while he sets both feet, then shoots.

A step prior to gathering or while gathering, doesn't count.
It's funky and looks funky, I agree. But it's in the rules.

What irks me is when shooters pick up their dribble after a crossover, place both feet on the ground, then jump back and to the side so they get behind the 3pt line, and shoot.
I get that the move isn't travel since the allowed step doesn't have to be towards the basket, but it sure should be travel.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016

He gathers as his right foot touches the floor.
He then takes a step while he sets both feet, then shoots.

A step prior to gathering or while gathering, doesn't count.
It's funky and looks funky, I agree. But it's in the rules.

What irks me is when shooters pick up their dribble after a crossover, place both feet on the ground, then jump back and to the side so they get behind the 3pt line, and shoot.
I get that the move isn't travel since the allowed step doesn't have to be towards the basket, but it sure should be travel.
Right. The rules have evolved to essentially permit travelling, especially at the end of a dribble while the former dribbler is "gathering."

The only constant in life is change.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Right. The rules have evolved to essentially permit travelling, especially at the end of a dribble while the former dribbler is "gathering."

For sure to all this. I just dont think its changed in the last 10 years, which is what you asked earlier.. The same thing was taking place in the mid-20teens when Harden, Westbrook, Curry, James, etc were all atop the scoring lists.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
No mention of the world's best coach that coaches the Celtics...
The guy is 35 and was thrust into this role due to a ridiculous series of events. His coaching job this year was nothing less of astounding. I think the C’s managed to luck into one hell of a coach

Reactions: onewoof

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005

Y’all act like this is just something new that happened. It’s been happening for years. Even when you were jizzing all over Michael Jordan and his “moves”. I mean, I get it. You don’t like the NBA now and that’s fine but don’t act like this is something that changed overnight

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
The guy is 35 and was thrust into this role due to a ridiculous series of events. His coaching job this year was nothing less of astounding. I think the C’s managed to luck into one hell of a coach
I have been listening to coaches like Wooden, Saban, Calipari, etc lecture for years, as they get hand fed significatnly unfair advantages with personnel to make themselves sound extra credible.

It's early on for Mazzulla but so far he is in a league of his own with his perspectives and approach. We will see.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
Y’all act like this is just something new that happened. It’s been happening for years. Even when you were jizzing all over Michael Jordan and his “moves”. I mean, I get it. You don’t like the NBA now and that’s fine but don’t act like this is something that changed overnight

I agree with you. Certainly, this permitted travelling is not new and has been happening for years and years.

I did not intend to imply that this is something new.