Citrus Bowl Cheering Guide

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Must Have:
Tennessee has to beat Vanderbilt

Need to Have
LSU over Texas A&M. It LSU los a, we would probably have to have an LSU win over Georgia to get four SEC teams to the NY6

Alabama over Auburn. Bama probably stays in the top 11 unless it’s a blowout.

Clemson over South Carolina. Carolina would also be 8-4 with two big wins to end season. Would probably get Citrus bid over us.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Must Have:

Need to Have
LSU over Texas A&M. It LSU los a, we would probably have to have an LSU win over Georgia to get four SEC teams to the NY6

Clemson over South Carolina. Carolina would also be 8-4 with two big wins to end season. Would probably get Citrus bid over us.
We are not going to get a Citrus Bowl bid. We don't travel well enough. I fully expect South Carolina to get one over us.

• Haha
Reactions: Southern Law Dawg

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
The last time (other than the covid year) that the Citrus Bowl didn't feature 2 ranked teams was 1987. They aren't taking a 7-5 USCe team.

Reactions: ThreeDawgNight

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
The last time (other than the covid year) that the Citrus Bowl didn't feature 2 ranked teams was 1987. They aren't taking a 7-5 USCe team.
I think the more likely scenario is someone else drops down to Citrus, like Tennessee or something.

I just cannot envision the citrus taking us. We always get skipped over in these situations.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I think the more likely scenario is someone else drops down to Citrus, like Tennessee or something.

I just cannot envision the citrus taking us. We always get skipped over in these situations.
Yeah, I see a lot of “how would they do that?” I really have to question some of these people’s State historical acumen.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007

UT to Citrus is what I'm expecting. I'm afraid the injury to Hooker will give the edge to Tulane for the Cotton.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Y’all are the most depressing bunch of people that exist.

we are fifth in the conference. If four teams make the NY6, we are going to Orlando. South Carolina beating Clemson is the only thing that could mess that up other than four teams not making the NY6.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Will we be ranked after this win?
Probably, although our fine display of offensive prowess probably doesn't make it a slam dunk. If I were a voter I'd be looking for any reason to move another 8-4 P5 or 9-3 G5 team above us.

The UK loss is an albatross.

Last edited:

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Guys...the bowl committees can damn near do what they want. It's essentially a draft at a certain point.

I do think these committees know we travel well. But UT will be elephant in the room simply because of brand recognition and tv viewership.

Like others have said, if UT looks like a lame duck without Hooker, that could help us.

YoungB.sixpack

Aug 25, 2011
Why do we think a 2 loss Tenn with an injured QB is going to be selected as a 4th SEC team for a CFP/NY6 bowl? Tenn to Citrus.

SC loses to Clemson. We will be in Ghost of Outback Bowl or Gator.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Why do we think a 2 loss Tenn with an injured QB is going to be selected as a 4th SEC team for a CFP/NY6 bowl? TN to Citrus.

Because they are 10th in the CFP rankings and the top 11 automatically go to the Ny6. If they beat Vanderbilt they will not drop.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
Why do we think a 2 loss Tenn with an injured QB is going to be selected as a 4th SEC team for a CFP/NY6 bowl? Tenn to Citrus.

If TN stays ranked high enough, they automatically make NY6

also, I know the Citrus has first team not in playoff or NY6. But is that just who they want if no clear option or do they follow rankings too?

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
#19 Tulane @ #24 Cincinnati.... kickoff in 25 minutes. Both are 9-2.

Does the outcome matter?

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
#19 Tulane @ #24 Cincinnati.... kickoff in 25 minutes. Both are 9-2.

Does the outcome matter?
Not really. One team from that conference is going to the NY6. Tulane winning opens up another spot in the poll for us, but I think we are in regardless.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
The Citrus Bowl rule is different. If four teams make the NY6, they will have their pick of the 8-4 teams.
Right now, it’s just State and Ole Miss and we clearly get the edge.
If South Carolina beats Clemson, that complicates things.

this is a weird season where there are a lot of 6-6 and 7-5 teams in the SEC. Only season weirder was the one where an 8-4 Auburn went to the Sugar Bowl after two SEC teams went to the playoff.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Guys...the bowl committees can damn near do what they want. It's essentially a draft at a certain point.

I do think these committees know we travel well. But UT will be elephant in the room simply because of brand recognition and tv viewership.

Like others have said, if UT looks like a lame duck without Hooker, that could help us.

Having Bracky Brett lobbying on our behalf certainly can’t hurt***

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Not really. One team from that conference is going to the NY6. Tulane winning opens up another spot in the poll for us, but I think we are in regardless.
Well, I see Cincy's QB is out so...

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Well if UT drops outside of the Top 12 we certainly won’t get it. Same for LSU. And USC goes over us if they beat Clemson.

But, its really hard to see a 7-5 USC going over 8-4 MSU. A 7-5 Florida, UGA, etc….absolutely. But USC isn’t in that tier.

ETA: Florida can still get to 7-5 with a win over FSU. So we probably need to be FSU fans as well. Need to add that one to the list.

Reactions: ThreeDawgNight

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
So South Carolina travels better than we do???

Yes and No. Per capita, we travel about the same. But “traveling” in regards to bowl games is just an oversimplified way of saying which schools have the most fans overall, because its all proportional. And there are a 17ton more USC fans / alumni than MSU fans / alumni that are available to travel.

Reactions: Itsaboutus

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
Because they are 10th in the CFP rankings and the top 11 automatically go to the Ny6. If they beat Vanderbilt they will not drop.
Does Orange Bowl still have their complicated system where the highest ranked Big Ten/SEC team is selected, but each conference has to be selected a certain number of times?

Have not looked at Top 25 rankings at all yet,, but I recall the committee leaping us up over Michigan St on a bye week in 2014 to get the bowl matchups they wanted.

was21

May 29, 2007
We are not going to get a Citrus Bowl bid. We don't travel well enough. I fully expect South Carolina to get one over us.
I thought State travels pretty darn well to bowl games but never really checked into it.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Must Have:

Need to Have

All of those are probable, except maybe the last one. South Carolina has played well lately and Clemson isn't quite what they've been in years past.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
I thought State travels pretty darn well to bowl games but never really checked into it.
We haven’t traveled well the last few years. Especially coming off a Egg loss. However, Orlando offers a new destination and coming off a Egg win

Reactions: bolddogge

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Must Have:

Need to Have

All of this shall happen on this two thousandth and twenty-second year of our Lord, it shall come to pass. The tigers shall roar and the elephants shall stampede and the chickens will not return to the roost.

And the bulldog shall walk amongst the sweet scent of fresh polemo, shaddock and madarin.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Going to be hard with Tennessee bama lsu all ahead of us unless lsu beats uga and jumps in to playoff with uga staying.

my guess, uga playoff, lsu sugar, Alabama orange, Tennessee citrus, State Las Vegas or Tampa.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login