Citrus Bowl Cheering Guide

Grover777

Nov 1, 2022
Ole miss losing four of their last five, and playing with an interim coach is going to drop to the liberty or Texas bowl. Doubt they have many fans that will travel.

Reactions: ThreeDawgNight

msudawg1200

Sep 19, 2012
Some of you have zero idea how the NY6 selection works. As someone did mention, if UT beats Vandy they ain't dropping low enough to miss a NY6 Bowl. As for the poster that said something about the Cotton taking Tulane over UT, that has nothing to do with it. The G5 will get their highest ranked team in. Right now that is Tulane. It has nothing to do with Tennessee. They might play each other in the Cotton. If 4 SEC teams get in the CFP/NY6, then we get the Citrus as long as SC loses to Clemson. Period.

msudawg1200

Sep 19, 2012
All of those are probable, except maybe the last one. South Carolina has played well lately and Clemson isn't quite what they've been in years past.
South Carolina played well last week. The week before Florida destroyed them 38-6. Two weeks before that they lost to Missouri at home. They had a fluke win over Tennessee, but they are a mediocre football team. Clemson will destroy them.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Going to be hard with Tennessee bama lsu all ahead of us unless lsu beats uga and jumps in to playoff with uga staying.

my guess, uga playoff, lsu sugar, Alabama orange, Tennessee citrus, State Las Vegas or Tampa.

If they win their last regular season game, UT / Bama / LSU are a lock for finishing in the Top 12 of the final CFP rankings, which means they are guaranteed to be either in the CFP or the NY6. At least one if them absolutely has to lose to drop to the Citrus, and LSU losing to UGA isn’t going to drop them from 5th to 13th either.

If none lose this weekend, it comes down to MSU, OM, USC, and possibly Florida for the Citrus. If USC / UF lose also, MSU has the advantage based on what happened on the field.

There is still a whole lot that has to go right for it to happen. 5 games all have to go a certain way. Even though all 5 teams we need to win are favored, you won’t win many 5 game money line parlays in Vegas, even when the spread in 4 of the 5 games is 8 to 14 points.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Watching Tulane vs Cincy.. either of these teams in the Cotton Bowl against a motivated P5 team would be a blood bath.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Some of you have zero idea how the NY6 selection works. As someone did mention, if UT beats Vandy they ain't dropping low enough to miss a NY6 Bowl. As for the poster that said something about the Cotton taking Tulane over UT, that has nothing to do with it. The G5 will get their highest ranked team in. Right now that is Tulane. It has nothing to do with Tennessee. They might play each other in the Cotton. If 4 SEC teams get in the CFP/NY6, then we get the Citrus as long as SC loses to Clemson. Period.
Thank you.

Penn State is the team that needs Tennessee to lose. They are headed to Citrus if Tennessee beats Vanderbilt. In fact, knowledgeable Penn State fans are already bitching about cowbells on Twitter

I would rather drop to the Gator and play Notre Dame than play Iowa in Tampa again.

Last edited:

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Thank you.

Penn State is the team that needs Tennessee to lose. They are headed to Citrus if Tennessee beats Vanderbilt. In fact, knowledgeable Penn State fans are already bitching about cowbells on Twitter

I would rather drop to the Gator and play Notre Dame than play Iowa in Tampa again.

There is no universe that exists where Mississippi State plays ND in a non-CFP or NY6 bowl game. It will absolutely never happen. Whatever bowl winds up with ND (and ND themselves) will try to pair them up with another big name program that’s having a mediocre year.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I think the more likely scenario is someone else drops down to Citrus, like Tennessee or something.

I just cannot envision the citrus taking us. We always get skipped over in these situations.
I agree with Drebin. The Citrus looks for teams that travel well so the stadium is full for TV. We don't do well with South Florida Bowl games.

msudawg1200

Sep 19, 2012
There is no universe that exists where Mississippi State plays ND in a non-CFP or NY6 bowl game. It will absolutely never happen. Whatever bowl winds up with ND (and ND themselves) will try to pair them up with another big name program that’s having a mediocre year.
Is that why in their last non NY6 Bowl in 2019 they played big bad Iowa State. I swear some of y'all are the most negative people on the planet.

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
Thank you.

Penn St is only one spot behind UT. Could easily see the committee swapping them last minute just to get preferred bowl matchups. Especially if UT is not convincing against Vandy.

I don’t think the “guarantee” spot below comes into play yet, but SEC has already been selected 3 times, and Big Ten twice. Committee might go ahead and move Penn St up to 10th to avoid worrying about the contractual ‘guarantees’ in future years.

From SEC site:
“When the Orange Bowl is not a semifinal game and a SEC team is the highest ranked team by the CFP Selection Committee among the non-champions of the SEC and Big Ten and ranked higher than Notre Dame after the CFP semifinal games have been filled, then that team will participate in the Orange Bowl. There are eight years in which the Orange Bowl is not a semifinal game and the SEC is guaranteed three of the eight years, the Big Ten is guaranteed three of the eight years and the remaining two years can be filled by Notre Dame, the SEC or the Big Ten based on CFP Selection Committee rankings. The SEC Champion can never participate in the Orange Bowl unless it is a semifinal game.”

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I thought State travels pretty darn well to bowl games but never really checked into it.
We really don't. In 2018, the Outback Bowl didn't really want to take us but they kinda had to....and we had all this excitement and energy for that bowl....and ended up with a really embarrassing showing, especially compared to what Iowa brought. Hell, ticket sales were so slow for us that we ran a BDC promotion where you got club points for purchasing bowl tickets, and we still didn't sell all of our allotment.

Reactions: rynodawg

Grover777

Nov 1, 2022
Right now airline tickets are crazy priced. I think regional fan bases that can drive will Have a much better showing.

notre dame has a lot of talent on that roster, they would probably be the toughest opponent. Clemson is a paper tiger with an easy schedule, we would whip their @rse. I hope they beat usc but it won’t be easy for them.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
We really don't. In 2018, the Outback Bowl didn't really want to take us but they kinda had to....and we had all this excitement and energy for that bowl....and ended up with a really embarrassing showing, especially compared to what Iowa brought. Hell, ticket sales were so slow for us that we ran a BDC promotion where you got club points for purchasing bowl tickets, and we still didn't sell all of our allotment.

Yeah but its also worth noting that we didn’t sell our allotment because tickets were so much cheaper on the secondary market. School was charging like $90 each for nosebleeds when you could get them on StubHub or SeatGeek for $40-$50 for midfield seats.

I was at that game and it was probably 60/40 Iowa fans, but neither school brought many people. There couldn’t have been 40k total there….regardless of how many tickets were sold. And that’s the real issue for everybody these days. The universal decline in football attendance due to cost and the TV product is magnified tenfold for bowl games.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Yeah but its also worth noting that we didn’t sell our allotment because tickets were so much cheaper on the secondary market. School was charging like $90 each for nosebleeds when you could get them on StubHub or SeatGeek for $40-$50 for midfield seats.

I was at that game and it was probably 60/40 Iowa fans, but neither school brought many people. There couldn’t have been 40k there….regardless of how many tickets were sold. And that’s the real issue for everybody these days. The universal decline in football attendance due to cost and the TV product is magnified tenfold for bowl games.
I was at that game too and will not partake in your revisionist history. It was a terrible showing by our fans. Embarrassing, really.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I was at that game too and will not partake in your revisionist history. It was a terrible showing by our fans. Embarrassing, really.

We had probably 15,000 there. How many should we have had after that letdown season in a location that demands a plane ride for most folks?

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
We had probably 15,000 there. How many should we have had after that letdown season in a location that demands a plane ride for most folks?
We didn't have that many people there. I don't know what narrative you're trying to push here.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
We didn't have that many people there. I don't know what narrative you're trying to push here.

No narrative? Talking about the attendance of a meaningless bowl game 4 years ago. Why would there be a narrative?

The 15k was my estimate based on what I saw, which was that our side had about 80% full on the lower level between the 20’s and about 60% full in the corners and our EZ. Iowa’s side was more like 90-95% around their lower level areas. Both upper decks were empty. You don’t like that, then feel free to provide what you thought it was. I don’t really care. The facts are the announced attendance (tickets sold) was just over 40k, which was only 61% of the stadium capacity. So saying that neither school brought a ton of fans would be an accurate statement.

Reactions: Grover777

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Is that why in their last non NY6 Bowl in 2019 they played big bad Iowa State. I swear some of y'all are the most negative people on the planet.

I don’t see how recognizing the politics of college football makes one negative.

ND has more sway than any college football program when it comes to the non NY6 games because they have a ton of money, a national fanbase, and they don’t have to answer to a conference. They historically like to play 3 types of opponents:

1) Non-SEC teams
2) Big name programs
3) Non-big name programs that give them easy wins

In 2019, ND was 10-2 and outside the CFP Top 12, so no NY6 for them. So they worked out an arrangement where they played a 7-5 Iowa State, who they could predictably kick the crap out of to feel better about themselves. Basically the most Notre Dame thing ever. The absolute last thing they ever want is to prop up a non-name SEC program with their brand, and still get their *** beat….which is exactly what would happen if they played MSU.

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
I was there and agree with the 15k estimate. It was certainly better representation than the 2017 Gator Bowl and 2019 Music City Bowl.

Grover777

Nov 1, 2022
I don’t see how recognizing the politics of college football makes one negative.

ND has more sway than any college football program when it comes to the non NY6 games because they have a ton of money, a national fanbase, and they don’t have to answer to a conference. They historically like to play 3 types of opponents:

1) Non-SEC teams
2) Big name programs

In 2019, ND was 10-2 and outside the CFP Top 12, so no NY6 for them. So they worked out an arrangement where they played a 7-5 Iowa State, who they could predictably kick the crap out of to feel better about themselves. Basically the most Notre Dame thing ever. The absolute last thing they ever want is to prop up a non-name SEC program with their brand, and still get their *** beat….which is exactly what would happen if they played MSU.
Good post. We are a team not many will want to play. High risk low reward.

we could kick the crap out of several,paper tiger teams ranked ten through twenty.

in short outside of about five teams we can ruin your day. And we’ve already played three of those teams.

msudawg1200

Sep 19, 2012

1) Non-SEC teams
2) Big name programs

I interpreted your post wrong. When I first read it I thought you were saying poor ol' Mississippi State isn't an attractive or good enough opponent for Notre Dame to step on the field against. Now, I see what you're saying. We are a SEC team and good enough to whip them, and they don't want that risk. They'd rather play a big name school who is down in a given year(like Oklahoma this year), or a P5 team they know they can beat like 2019 7-5 Iowa State. Got it now. My bad. Carry on.

snoopdog

Mar 25, 2008
Must Have:
Tennessee has to beat Vanderbilt

Need to Have
LSU over Texas A&M. It LSU los a, we would probably have to have an LSU win over Georgia to get four SEC teams to the NY6

Alabama over Auburn. Bama probably stays in the top 11 unless it’s a blowout.

Clemson over South Carolina. Carolina would also be 8-4 with two big wins to end season. Would probably get Citrus bid over us.
Would it be the Reliasquest Bowl if it’s not the Citrus? Thoughts from others.

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
I wouldn't either...probably why I didn't. I rely on SPS for all my information.
play predictions GIF

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
My in-person opinion on State attendance starting with the Mullen era:
2010 Gator ~25k
2011 Music City ~35k (that was a total takeover)
2012 Gator ~12k
2013 Liberty 25k+
2014 Orange 8-10k (hard to tell some sections from my seats)
2015 Belk Bowl ~12k
2016 Gasparilla <8k (same problem with seats plus a small stadium magnified the noise)
2017 Gator <10k
2018 Outback ~15k
2019 Music City ~10k
2020 Armed Forces <1k
2021 Liberty Bowl 20k+

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
My in-person opinion on State attendance starting with the Mullen era:
2010 Gator ~25k
2011 Music City ~35k (that was a total takeover)
2012 Gator ~12k
2013 Liberty 25k+
2014 Orange 8-10k (hard to tell some sections from my seats)
2015 Belk Bowl ~12k
2016 Gasparilla <8k (same problem with seats plus a small stadium magnified the noise)
2017 Gator <10k
2018 Outback ~15k
2019 Music City ~10k
2020 Armed Forces <1k
2021 Liberty Bowl 20k+

From the ones I attended, I’d say that’s pretty spot on. Only one I might say was different would be the 2013 Liberty. That was a huge takeover just like 2011 MCB.

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
From the ones I attended, I’d say that’s pretty spot on. Only one I might say was different would be the 2013 Liberty. That was a huge takeover just like 2011 MCB.
I argued with myself about the 2013 Liberty being larger, but our crowd pretty much ended at the goal lines, plus some on the Rice side. I could be off. I definitely think it was our 2nd biggest showing on this list.

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
Need to Have
LSU over Texas A&M. It LSU los a, we would probably have to have an LSU win over Georgia to get four SEC teams to the NY6

With regard to LSU and Texas A&M, I saw this tonight and laughed like I haven't laughed since... well, last night. But still, enjoy this LSU guy being "converted" to become an Aggie:

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I argued with myself about the 2013 Liberty being larger, but our crowd pretty much ended at the goal lines, plus some on the Rice side. I could be off. I definitely think it was our 2nd biggest showing on this list.

You could be right. I was certainly knocking back a few and wasn’t paying too close attention, but it felt like a home game and was loud as hell.

Grover777

Nov 1, 2022
Would it be the Reliasquest Bowl if it’s not the Citrus? Thoughts from others.
Yes most likely, if we don’t get citrus it’s reliaquest

penn state is pretty good, so is notre dame. Both of those teams would be a good game. reliaquest is big ten, Iowa lost so it may be Purdue. We would destroy Iowa or Purdue.

Reactions: snoopdog

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Notre Dame has literally zero say when it comes to which SEC they’re matched up against, especially if they’re in the pool of six bowls.

Reactions: chuckster.sixpack

campshelbydog1116

Oct 27, 2022
We are not going to get a Citrus Bowl bid. We don't travel well enough. I fully expect South Carolina to get one over us.
That isn’t how this works. The citrus bowl is required to take the sec team with the best record that isn’t in the NY6. They are not contractually allowed to choose anyone else. If the chalk holds we are going to the citrus bowl no matter who they would rather take.

Grover777

Nov 1, 2022
notre dame always has a say. They have had their own network for years.
they Won’t want us, they’ll pick somebody they can beat.

campshelbydog1116

Oct 27, 2022
Going to be hard with Tennessee bama lsu all ahead of us unless lsu beats uga and jumps in to playoff with uga staying.

my guess, uga playoff, lsu sugar, Alabama orange, Tennessee citrus, State Las Vegas or Tampa.
Tennessee is inside the top 11 and will be in a NY6 game unless they lose to Vandy and fall out of the top 11. They aren’t going to the citrus otherwise.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login