Citrus Bowl Cheering Guide

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Notre Dame has literally zero say when it comes to which SEC they’re matched up against, especially if they’re in the pool of six bowls.

Thats not exactly true. They can decline any bid or invite that they don’t like. Of course it never comes to that….they negotiate what they want on the front end.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
That isn’t how this works. The citrus bowl is required to take the sec team with the best record that isn’t in the NY6. They are not contractually allowed to choose anyone else. If the chalk holds we are going to the citrus bowl no matter who they would rather take.

Not true. The Citrus has the first pick of the litter after the CFP / NY6, and there is no requirement for choosing the team with the best record. They can pick whoever they want that is bowl eligible and available.

From the SEC website:
“The SEC will maintain its current bowl selection process in which the Citrus Bowl has the first selection of available SEC teams after any conference schools have qualified for the College Football Playoff, the Allstate Sugar Bowl or the Capital One Orange Bowl, after which the SEC assigns teams to a Pool of Six bowls.”

campshelbydog1116

Oct 27, 2022
Not true. The Citrus has the first pick of the litter after the CFP / NY6, and there is no requirement for choosing the team with the best record. They can pick whoever they want that is bowl eligible and available.

From the SEC website:
“The SEC will maintain its current bowl selection process in which the Citrus Bowl has the first selection of available SEC teams after any conference schools have qualified for the College Football Playoff, the Allstate Sugar Bowl or the Capital One Orange Bowl, after which the SEC assigns teams to a Pool of Six bowls.”
I’ll put it in this thread too. You are wrong. They will pick between State and Ole Miss as required by their contract (it will be state) unless Tennessee /LSU/ Alabama fall out of the NY6 rankings. We can bet a nice steak dinner or whatever you want that Mississippi State is going to the citrus bowl if the chalk holds and no one unexpectedly falls out of the top 11.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I’ll put it in this thread too. You are wrong. They will pick between State and Ole Miss as required by their contract (it will be state) unless Tennessee /LSU/ Alabama fall out of the NY6 rankings. We can bet a nice steak dinner or whatever you want that Mississippi State is going to the citrus bowl if the chalk holds and no one unexpectedly falls out of the top 11.

Again, provide a link that says they have to pick the team with the best record.

I agree we’ll go if the chalk holds (and it has so far). That doesn’t change the reality that the Citrus can still take who they want. Fortunately for us, the Citrus wants ranked teams, and we’ll be the only one available if the chalk holds.

campshelbydog1116

Oct 27, 2022
Again, provide a link that says they have to pick the team with the best record.

I agree we’ll go if the chalk holds (and it has so far). That doesn’t change the reality that the Citrus can still take who they want. Fortunately for us, the Citrus wants ranked teams, and we’ll be the only one available if the chalk holds.
I don’t want to clutter up 2 threads with the same convo, but we would 100 % not be going to the citrus bowl under almost any circumstance if they were not required to take us. Them taking us if the chalk holds is absolute proof that they were required to take us. If South Carolina beats clemson they will 100 % get the citrus over us because they will have the same record and a giant fanbase.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I don’t want to clutter up 2 threads with the same convo, but we would 100 % not be going to the citrus bowl under almost any circumstance if they were not required to take us. Them taking us if the chalk holds is absolute proof that they were required to take us. If South Carolina beats clemson they will 100 % get the citrus over us because they will have the same record and a giant fanbase.

So even you would agree the Citrus has the option to take Ole Miss, correct? If so, you’re saying they can actually take a team lower in the standings than the best available team. Why would they be allowed to do that, but not take a 7-5 team from the other division (especially if that 7-5 team had the same or better record within the conference).

Honestly, I want to believe you, because it would be great for there to be no way for us to get screwed. As such, I spent a good bit of time looking for the requirement on the SEC’s website, the Citrus Bowl website, and everywhere in between, but I can’t find it.

campshelbydog1116

Oct 27, 2022
So even you would agree the Citrus has the option to take Ole Miss, correct? If so, you’re saying they can actually take a team lower in the standings than the best available team. Why would they be allowed to do that, but not take a 7-5 team from the other division (especially if that 7-5 team had the same or better record within the conference).

Honestly, I want to believe you, because it would be great for there to be no way for us to get screwed. As such, I spent a good bit of time looking for the requirement on the SEC’s website, the Citrus Bowl website, and everywhere in between, but I can’t find it.
Yes they have that option. They simply can’t take a team with a worse record. Luckily for us, we will have a more excited fanbase than OM and the same TV market so we will get that nod. I guess I should have said they have a more limited option than the rest of the bowls, who simply pair up with who they want.

campshelbydog1116

Oct 27, 2022
Some conferences have special selection parameters written into their contracts with specific bowls — for example, the Citrus Bowl is contractually obligated to select the winningest Big Ten and SEC teams that do not make a CFP game (semifinal or New Year's Six Bowl), or a team within one win of the winningest in its conference. The MAC's bowl contracts require that both division champions, if eligible, receive bids to one of its five contracted bowls.

Sorry, I know that Wikipedia isn’t reputable, but it’s the only thing I can find right now showing how they actually are required to select.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Unless I’m reading it wrong.. the Reliaquest Bowl on Jan 2nd can straight up select who they want with heavy input from the SEC. Are they taking an 8-4 ole miss team with a disgruntled fan base or skipping them for a 7-5 S. Carolina?

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
If not Orlando, I’m expecting Jacksonville. They seem to like us down there, definitely more than the folks in Tampa.

I just want to play a name program for once. I’m kinda sick of playing the Northwesterns and Iowa’s and Texas Tech’s of the world. Our fans don’t get excited about that and not sure our players do either. Give me Penn State, Notre Dame, Florida State, someone of that caliber, even though it would be a tough game.

Reactions: chuckster.sixpack

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I just want to play a name program for once. I’m kinda sick of playing the Northwesterns and Iowa’s and Texas Tech’s of the world. Our fans don’t get excited about that and not sure our players do either. Give me Penn State, Notre Dame, Florida State, someone of that caliber, even though it would be a tough game.
This all day. If we’re playing Notre Dame, I’ll try to drag the whole family down there.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
So.. in that PDF from the SEC, the word "SELECTS" sounds ominously different from "contractually obligated to take".

Vrbo Citrus Bowl
(Orlando, FL) vs. Big 10 January 2, 2023 – 1 p.m. ET – ABC
After the CFP selection process the Vrbo Citrus Bowl gets the first selection
of available SEC Teams.
POOL OF SIX BOWLS:
After the Vrbo Citrus Bowl selects a team, there will be a pool of six bowls
and the Conference, in consultation with the institutions and the bowls, will
make the assignments for these six bowl games from all eligible SEC teams.

Reactions: chuckster.sixpack

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Thats not exactly true. They can decline any bid or invite that they don’t like. Of course it never comes to that….they negotiate what they want on the front end.
You’re right. They can decline the bowl invitation and its payout and wait for a non-pool of six to call.

The SEC decides which SEC team goes where in the pool of six. Notre Dame, sure, has influence, but it doesn’t have as much influence as the SEC.

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
Some conferences have special selection parameters written into their contracts with specific bowls — for example, the Citrus Bowl is contractually obligated to select the winningest Big Ten and SEC teams that do not make a CFP game (semifinal or New Year's Six Bowl), or a team within one win of the winningest in its conference. The MAC's bowl contracts require that both division champions, if eligible, receive bids to one of its five contracted bowls.

Sorry, I know that Wikipedia isn’t reputable, but it’s the only thing I can find right now showing how they actually are required to select.

Officially, I'm on the "they get to pick" side of the argument, but either side is hard to prove. We've only had the NY6 since the 2014 season, and every year the Citrus Bowl's selection was both the next program down in finishing order AND the one you would have logically expected them to pick.
Where the finishing order first breaks down is pre-NY6 2010, when the Cotton Bowl still had an SEC affiliation. The Citrus picked Alabama while higher finish LSU (who had been in the Citrus the year before) went to the Cotton.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Thanks for that. Manual count with mirrored endzone corner gave me 14,998. Was off by 2.**
Yeah, I remembered being surprised we were outnumbered by Iowa. They were definitely louder when on defense. Never dreamed they would have brought more people than us

patdog

May 28, 2007
The Citrus Bowl rule is different. If four teams make the NY6, they will have their pick of the 8-4 teams.
Right now, it’s just State and Ole Miss and we clearly get the edge.
If South Carolina beats Clemson, that complicates things.

this is a weird season where there are a lot of 6-6 and 7-5 teams in the SEC. Only season weirder was the one where an 8-4 Auburn went to the Sugar Bowl after two SEC teams went to the playoff.
Citrus Bowl has their pick of bowl eligible SEC team not in NY6 bowls. They can pick who they want regardless of record.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login