Cohen to Auburn?

kired

Aug 22, 2008
He got lucky with that hire. He made the Cannizaro hire which was a bad one, and then he swung and missed on his top choices to replace before Lemonis fell into his lap. So you're ignoring a lot of facts to try to make a point.

He also made a catastrophic football hire, and followed that up with a lazy, underwhelming one.
I’ve never understood the criticism of the Cann and JM hires. Who, at the time of those hires, didn’t think they were great? No one’s got a crystal ball to know Cann’s going to be screwin around, or that JM would be in over his head as head coach. You can’t know that **** from a few interviews over 1-2 days.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I’ve never understood the criticism of the Cann and JM hires. Who, at the time of those hires, didn’t think they were great? No one’s got a crystal ball to know Cann’s going to be screwin around, or that JM would be in over his head as head coach. You can’t know that **** from a few interviews over 1-2 days.
Agree on Cannizzaro, but Moorhead was an awful hire. We should not have been trying to change offensive philosophies and culture when Mullen left - we should have tried to keep that exact same train going, even if it meant hiring from within.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
The cheapest option for MSU to move on from the Air Raid is if Cohen takes the Auburn job and brings Leach with him. But despite what you may think about Cohen, I think we all could agree he’s smart enough not to make the same mistake twice.

I don’t really think Auburn is interested in a guy who will be retired in 5-7 years max as their next coach. Leach will ride out his career in Starkville.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
It’s more of a cumulative thing for me. It becomes less of a fluke when it’s happening multiple times. You can lump the McCray-Penson hire in there as well.

If any of those were Cohen’s only misfire, it’s totally excusable. But all three happened in the span of about 3 years. That becomes a lot harder to defend.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
And we have done much worse than Cohen. Much much worse. Go back to pre-2000 years. John's not going anywhere......unless they dump life changing money on him.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Agree on Cannizzaro, but Moorhead was an awful hire. We should not have been trying to change offensive philosophies and culture when Mullen left - we should have tried to keep that exact same train going, even if it meant hiring from within.

The basic facts on Moorhead and Leach (and Jans) are that Cohen hired who he was told to hire. That’s how every big money sport hire works in the SEC….at every school.

He had some autonomy in baseball and WBB, and hopefully will end up batting .500 there (if Purcell is decent), with one of those hires winning a national championship.

Overall, he always caught way too much crap on the hiring / firing side, and not nearly enough on the facilities and fundraising side. I think he was a decent but not great AD overall. Our fans will soon realize after he’s gone, however, that it really doesn’t matter that much who our AD is as it relates to the big money sports. We’re still going to have all the same problems…..just a new scapegoat to try and pin them on.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

XBLDawg

Mar 20, 2014
Elitedawgs says Cohen gone, Leach retiring and Mullen back in the fold. Can’t wait to see Will Rogers and 20 wide receivers running the spread option next year!!!

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
When Morehead was hired my first reaction was, who?

Then I looked him up and I was blown away by how terrible this hire was. I was ready to see Cohen fired for just that. And it turned out even worse than I expected.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It’s more of a cumulative thing for me. It becomes less of a fluke when it’s happening multiple times. You can lump the McCray-Penson hire in there as well.

If any of those were Cohen’s only misfire, it’s totally excusable. But all three happened in the span of about 3 years. That becomes a lot harder to defend.
Mccray was another terrible hire. Any idiot knew we should have hired from within. I don’t care about womens basketball but the principle is still there.

Pars

Oct 11, 2015
Kinda tacky to leave the week before we play Auburn to go be the AD at Auburn. I don’t really care just weird

Reactions: WilCoDawg

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
If we are just talking one hire, I agree with you. But Cannizzaro, Moorhead, and Pinson all looked good on paper and turned out not to be. That's a trend. We have two other hires that look great on paper in Jans and Purcell but neither have coached a game yet. But even the staunchest of Cohen defenders have to admit his track record on hiring coaches isn't good. The one he got right (Lemonis) was his third or fourth choice after striking out on others first.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
If we are just talking one hire, I agree with you. But Cannizzaro, Moorhead, and Pinson all looked good on paper and turned out not to be. That's a trend. We have two other hires that look great on paper in Jans and Purcell but neither have coached a game yet. But even the staunchest of Cohen defenders have to admit his track record on hiring coaches isn't good. The one he got right (Lemonis) was his third or fourth choice after striking out on others first.
A trend of back luck. Coaching hires are all gambles except for a very very select view. It just never worked out for him.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
A trend of back luck. Coaching hires are all gambles except for a very very select view. It just never worked out for him.
His plans behind the hires of everyone except baseball have been bad or at minimum not really good.

good planning and personnel generally equates to better luck

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login