College Gameday is going to

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I think you've changed my mind about whether this is a good thing. At least moved me to more 50/50. ESPN is going to highlight the historical plight of HBCU's and some of the obstacles they've faced because of racism, which is fine and just factual. I think it's a question of whether they will play it up and try to claim they are still struggling because of racism as opposed to just bad leadership and starting behind. But if they uses it as a chance to focus on the plight of HBCU's and how they don't even have reliable running water because of racism that through some undetermined channel prevented the City of Jackson from billing or collecting for water and sewer services or properly operate and maintain water and sewer assets, then it's just going to be a chance to make the state look bad.

I think ESPN's natural inclination will be the latter, but not sure they want to highlight HBCU's and also simultaneously hurt them by telling people they're still screwed because of racism rather than putting a positive spin on how they are finally past that and able to rise once they have the right leadership.
Do you think that the impact of centuries of racism can be erased in less than a generation? I may not understand your post, via your use of past tense, but if you are implying that racism does not continue to have an impact on the people and institutions that it marginalized for all those years, I simply disagree. Collectively we are getting better, but unfortunately, we are still seeing racist militias coming out of the woodwork since Obama disrupted the normal power structure.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Jackson deserves some good things to happen to it (not the Mayor, but the citizens)
You mean the same citizens that keep voting for the same crooks election, after election, after election? Stokes has been in office as city councilman and/or Supervisor since 1989! Chucky Labamba's (Big Chuck) dad was as bad or worse than he is and they still voted for little Chuck, TWICE. Harvey Johnson was elected, left and came back and was re-elected.

Reactions: The Cooterpoot

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Do you think that the impact of centuries of racism can be erased in less than a generation? I may not understand your post, via your use of past tense, but if you are implying that racism does not continue to have an impact on the people and institutions that it marginalized for all those years, I simply disagree. Collectively we are getting better, but unfortunately, we are still seeing racist militias coming out of the woodwork since Obama disrupted the normal power structure.
:rolleyes: There are about as many racist militias out there as there are furry orgy groups and for 99%+ of the population, they have the same impact on their lives.

And do you really not understand how past tense works? I did not say racism didn't exist. I explicitly pointed out that they started behind because of it. In my opinion they are basically insurmountably behind under any plausible scenario (i.e., excluding hypotheticals where somebody gives them an extra $150M to $200M to spend each year for ten to fifteen years and conditions the grant on having a competent leader with virtually dictatorial powers when it comes to decisions with the school; also that would have to be combined with competent leadership from Jackson). But that doesn't change the fact that current racism is not what is holding them back now (unless you want to say it's racism in jackson that ensures they have corrupt and incompetent leadership, which I don't think racism is the right word for that).

ETA: Look at it another way: IF you were JSU leadership, and only worried about JSU and not about what would be best for the world, do you think JSU would be helped more by Jackson turning into the next Nashville and the Duffs deciding the JSU was the only cause they wanted to support? Or by racism disappearing? Racism disappearing would not suddenly put JSU in a desirable location, or provide them a pot of money. In other words, current racism isn't the primary problem holding them back, even if they were crippled by past racism.

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You mean the same citizens that keep voting for the same crooks election, after election, after election? Stokes has been in office as city councilman and/or Supervisor since 1989! Chucky Labamba's (Big Chuck) dad was as bad or worse than he is and they still voted for little Chuck, TWICE. Harvey Johnson was elected, left and came back and was re-elected.
I honestly think if Stokes, even Yarbor, or anyone else not named Lumumba were mayor of Jackson right now, the water issues would have gotten resolved and the City would still be a willing participant in this 'Partnership' with the state or whatever it's called. Lumumba is driving a wedge, making things worse, and it makes no sense outside of ego driven dumb stuff. Jackson should have hit bottom and started building up, but as it is, it's still digging.

Either way, Jackson is the capital city of Mississippi. Nobody WANTS it to die on the vine, even if that's what ends up happening. There may not be a lot we can do to stop it presently, but this Gameday stuff will at least bring some money and tourism to it.

Majority of Jackson citizens just want to live their lives and get on with things. I am hopeful that the next election will bear this out.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
:rolleyes: There are about as many racist militias out there as there are furry orgy groups and for 99%+ of the population, they have the same impact on their lives.

And do you really not understand how past tense works? I did not say racism didn't exist. I explicitly pointed out that they started behind because of it. In my opinion they are basically insurmountably behind under any plausible scenario (i.e., excluding hypotheticals where somebody gives them an extra $150M to $200M to spend each year for ten to fifteen years and conditions the grant on having a competent leader with virtually dictatorial powers when it comes to decisions with the school; also that would have to be combined with competent leadership from Jackson). But that doesn't change the fact that current racism is not what is holding them back now (unless you want to say it's racism in jackson that ensures they have corrupt and incompetent leadership, which I don't think racism is the right word for that).

ETA: Look at it another way: IF you were JSU leadership, and only worried about JSU and not about what would be best for the world, do you think JSU would be helped more by Jackson turning into the next Nashville and the Duffs deciding the JSU was the only cause they wanted to support? Or by racism disappearing? Racism disappearing would not suddenly put JSU in a desirable location, or provide them a pot of money. In other words, current racism isn't the primary problem holding them back, even if they were crippled by past racism.
"patriot" militias have been on the rise since the 90's and that is accelerating. That's a simple Google search away. Perhaps you would contend they are actually patriots and not mostly racists. In my opinion one way to know for certain that someone is NOT a patriot these days is if they call themselves one or are aligned with a group that does so. On the other points, I think, per my admission about possibly misinterpreting in my prior post, that I misinterpreted your OP.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
"patriot" militias have been on the rise since the 90's and that is accelerating. That's a simple Google search away. Perhaps you would contend they are actually patriots and not mostly racists. In my opinion one way to know for certain that someone is NOT a patriot these days is if they call themselves one or are aligned with a group that does so. On the other points, I think, per my admission about possibly misinterpreting in my prior post, that I misinterpreted your OP.
Well, until you've done some "simple google searches" for furry orgy groups and determined what has happened to their numbers since the 90's, you can't really credibly dispute my statement.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login