Conference Realignment: Pac-12 looking at SMU & SDSU...

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
That's Southern Methodist-- not Southern Miss.
And that's San Diego State-- not South Dakota State.

Reactions: #ShowOff

patdog

May 28, 2007
That's a huge fail for the PAC-12. Neither of those schools add a thing (I know about the Southern Cal and Texas markets, but those schools don't deliver those like USC, UCLA, Texas, A&M, Oklahoma and TCU somewhat do)

Reactions: Dawgg

patdog

May 28, 2007
A Pac-12 school that doesn't play baseball (SMU).
Essh
At one time, Oregon didn't play baseball. PAC-10 played with the 4 CA schools and 2 AZ schools in the south and added Portland Portland St. & Gonzaga to the north to get 2 6-team divisions.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I feel like the SDSU thing has been floated out there for a while now. I mean... these additions are pretty underwhelming (SMU is maybe the 5th or 6th most popular college team in their own city), but they gotta do something to give some semblance of stability before the Big 12 engulfs their mountain schools.

The Big 12's pro rata with ESPN is only for the addition of existing Power 5 schools, so they actually have an incentive to go after Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, and Colorado.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The Big 12's pro rata with ESPN is only for the addition of existing Power 5 schools, so they actually have an incentive to go after Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, and Colorado.
I would be shocked if the Big 12 doesn't raid at least some of those schools, and possibly Oregon and Washington as well.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Could someone give me the cliff's notes on why the Pac-12 could not or would not raid the Big 12? Since when does the Big 12 have more power than the Pac-12?

And why is UNLV not on their radar?

Reactions: ll Martain ll

patdog

May 28, 2007
Could someone give me the cliff's notes on why the Pac-12 could not or would not raid the Big 12? Since when does the Big 12 have more power than the Pac-12?

I think the Big 12 schools are afraid if they did move to the PAC-12, what would happen if the Big 10 raided Washington, Oregon and maybe 1 or 2 of the Arizona schools. Big 12 appears much more stable right now (partly because all their desirable schools have already left). I do wonder if the Big 12 is having 2nd thoughts about adding all those AAC schools right about now.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I think the Big 12 schools are afraid if they did move to the PAC-12, what would happen if the Big 10 raided Washington, Oregon and maybe 1 or 2 of the Arizona schools. Big 12 appears much more stable right now (partly because all their desirable schools have already left). I do wonder if the Big 12 is having 2nd thoughts about adding all those AAC schools right about now.
Yeah, understand. But seems like Pac-12 has geography working for it. How many can the B1G really add anyway?

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yeah, understand. But seems like Pac-12 has geography working for it. How many can the B1G really add anyway?
I think if the Big 10 wanted Washington or Oregon, they’d already have them. But it doesn’t appear schools like Okie St, TCU and Texas Tech are confident enough in that to move from a sure thing to a risky move.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
The core of what's left of either the PAC or the BIG 12 will eventually jump to the other league. The league that loses that is done. It's a game of chicken right now.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The core of what's left of either the PAC or the BIG 12 will eventually jump to the other league. The league that loses that is done. It's a game of chicken right now.
Just seems to me like the Pac-12 has the leg up there, in geography, money, history, everything. I don't know why they haven't struck first blood. Air of superiority maybe? Maybe they don't like the idea of a po-dunk OK/TX school that isn't OU or UT. I think I'd have grabbed Kansas by now though, if nothing else for basketball and get a foothold in Kansas City. Texas Tech too, I mean they are way out there in West Texas, they are 'Tech', I mean why not? Oklahoma State has a bunch of money. UNLV is obvious. I think I'd move my HQ there.

I'm also guessing they don't like the 'C' in TCU. Because they are an obvious choice for location alone. Maybe they see potential in SMU again. That's very intriguing. San Diego State? Bleh, I get it I guess, but it's not LA. I don't really think it gains you that much, and I can't even tell you their colors.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

Biggest thing is that the Big 12’s media rights are pretty much secure until 2031, so they can offer stability. The Pac doesn’t have a deal in place yet and who knows what theirs will look like with SDSU and SMU.

I agree on UNLV. That should be a Pac target.

Last edited:

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I'm also guessing they don't like the 'C' in TCU. Because they are an obvious choice for location alone. Maybe they see potential in SMU again.
You think they’d have a problem with the ‘C’ in TCU, but not the ‘M’ in SMU?

patdog

May 28, 2007
Biggest thing is that the Big 12’s media rights are pretty much secure until 2031, so they can offer stability. The Pac doesn’t have a deal in place yet and who knows what their will look like with SDSU and SMU.

I agree on UNLV. That should be a Pac target.
This is exactly what’s happening. Along with uncertainty on whether the Big 10 might raid the PAC again and the time zone issue (PAC after dark is a media black hole where few people will ever see it). There’s no way the Pac is passing on Big 12 schools for SDSU & SMU. Those are their backup plan after they got turned down.

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
Poor Boise State. Just a few years ago, I'd have said they were a guarantee to get elevated to a P5 league now, doesn't look like that'll ever happen.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Poor Boise State. Just a few years ago, I'd have said they were a guarantee to get elevated to a P5 league now, doesn't look like that'll ever happen.
That's another they really should grab. A lot of people are moving to Boise. But I figure they think they are too cool for them, which again surprises me that they want San Diego State.

I'd love to see the Pac-12 and Big-12 remain separate for at least a while.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Boise brings very little to the table. Plus, it's a LONG way from anywhere.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

When a location's strength is that it lessens the distance from Salt Lake City to their nearest opponent that ain't a strength (just less than 5 hours apart).

Boise is five and a half hours away from Pullman-- and if you're that close to Pullman then that means you're a long way away from people (Seattle excepted).

Reactions: patdog and Dawgg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Yeah, I think Boise’s window closed with Chris Peterson’s departure and with the Big East getting booted out of the Power 6 then splitting into the Big East and the American. They’ve never again really reached the levels where a Power 5 would give them a look. The name appeal just isn’t there anymore.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Arizona State is upset at the PAC-12.

This tweet was featured on Outkick:

And the guy who tweeted that also retweeted this from Wolken (yeah, I know but):

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Pac-8?

Washington
Washington State
Oregon
Oregon State
California
Stanford
San Diego State
SMSU

Eeek. TV has done some good things but it's also torn some things apart as well.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Pac-8?

Washington
Washington State
Oregon
Oregon State
California
Stanford
San Diego State
SMSU

Eeek. TV has done some good things but it's also torn some things apart as well.
It's basically torn down every conference other than the SEC and Big 10. Only reason ACC has held together is the grant of rights. It's still a good conference, but it's becoming more irrelevant every year.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
You think they’d have a problem with the ‘C’ in TCU, but not the ‘M’ in SMU?
It's more of an m than an M.

SMU is methodist in name only (from the Athletic):
SMU’s Pac-12 case is centered on its location in Dallas, which would bring the Pac-12 into Texas and the Central time zone, along with solid academics (it is a top-75 national university per U.S. News & World Report and is working to become a R1 research school) and a lot of money (a $2 billion endowment and many active big-money donors). It’s a private school, with an enrollment of more than 12,000, and is nonsectarian, having split from the United Methodist Church in 2019. The Pac-12 has avoided schools with religious ties in the past.

SMU left in late 2019 because they knew the Methodist split was coming and didn't want to be in what the university perceived to be a bad situation. They were sued by its local conference but it was dismissed by summary judgment not quite two years ago.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
It's more of an m than an M.

SMU is methodist in name only (from the Athletic):

SMU left in late 2019 because they knew the Methodist split was coming and didn't want to be in what the university perceived to be a bad situation. They were sued by its local conference but it was dismissed by summary judgment not quite two years ago.
Good to know. I was actually pretty active in a Methodist church prior to my divorce in 2018 and I remember a portion of our budget going towards SMU programs, endowments, etc., so if they became non-sectarian in 2019, that would have been after I was excommunicated.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'd love to see an SMU rising. Still think it was criminal what happened to them, while pretty much all their competitors were doing worse. Especially in the day and age we live in now.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
That's a huge fail for the PAC-12. Neither of those schools add a thing (I know about the Southern Cal and Texas markets, but those schools don't deliver those like USC, UCLA, Texas, A&M, Oklahoma and TCU somewhat do)
I wonder if they know USC will inevitably leave for another conference and are simply trying to fill a hole with anything.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Arizona State is upset at the PAC-12.

This tweet was featured on Outkick:

And the guy who tweeted that also retweeted this from Wolken (yeah, I know but):

Couple of things on this:
1. Crazy that we're about a decade removed from it being a supposed "done deal" that the Pac-12 would become the most powerful conference in the country by absorbing Colorado, Texas, OU, OK State, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech, effectively disbanding the Big 12. Now, they'll be lucky to remain a power conference.
2. The replies and quote tweets to that Stewart Mandel tweet are 99% just roasting him mercilessly. They're a pretty fun read.
3. This whole thing is like a pro-wrestling storyline where the backstage dealings, swerves, factions, and double-crosses are as entertaining and interesting as the actual sports on the field.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

patdog

May 28, 2007
I wonder if they know USC will inevitably leave for another conference and are simply trying to fill a hole with anything.
I understand it's a desperation move by them. But adding those two makes their conference worse instead of better. I'm not surprised to hear Arizona St. (and probably a few other schools) are pissed about this. And that may be the holdup as to why it hasn't been announced.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I was really clowning on the Big 12 for replacing Texas and OU with UCF, BYU, Cincy, and Houston, but I have to say, if they add the 'four corners' Pac schools, this would be a solid conference:
Arizona
Arizona St
Baylor
BYU
Central Florida
Cincinnati
Colorado
Houston
Iowa St
Kansas
Kansas St
Oklahoma St
TCU
Texas Tech
Utah
West Virginia

Not an SEC/Big Ten level conference, but it would be on par with the ACC and light years ahead of anything the Pac would patchwork together over the next few years.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I was really clowning on the Big 12 for replacing Texas and OU with UCF, BYU, Cincy, and Houston, but I have to say, if they add the 'four corners' Pac schools, this would be a solid conference:
Arizona
Arizona St
Baylor
BYU
Central Florida
Cincinnati
Colorado
Houston
Iowa St
Kansas
Kansas St
Oklahoma St
TCU
Texas Tech
Utah
West Virginia

Not an SEC/Big Ten level conference, but it would be on par with the ACC and light years ahead of anything the Pac would patchwork together over the next few years.
I suspect the Big 12 is regretting jumping too soon by adding the AAC schools. A 14-team conference without UCF, BYU, Cincy & Houston and adding Washington and Oregon would be a really strong #3 conference in the country.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I understand it's a desperation move by them. But adding those two makes their conference worse instead of better. I'm not surprised to hear Arizona St. (and probably a few other schools) are pissed about this. And that may be the holdup as to why it hasn't been announced.
I agree. They are obviously scrambling. I just don't know if they have better options.

Reactions: Dawgg and patdog

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Pac-8?

Washington
Washington State
Oregon
Oregon State
California
Stanford
San Diego State
SMSU

I don't see how the Pac survives with 8. They're technically still a Power conference, so I don't see them going to FCS, Conference USA, the MAC, or any of the independents. I feel like the Sun Belt is pretty secure in themselves and wouldn't trade a sure thing in the SBC for a gamble that (best case scenario) involves thousands of miles of travel every week, so the Pac would need to poach some MWC or American schools to get to 12 (or at least 10).

TeamEnrollmentEndowment(M)Conference
Air Force
4,304​
$99​
MWC
Boise State
25,540​
$151​
MWC
Fresno State
25,341​
$219​
MWC
Colorado State
34,166​
$560​
MWC
Hawaii
19,074​
$484​
MWC
Nevada
20,718​
$469​
MWC
UNLV
31,142​
$389​
MWC
New Mexico
25,441​
$577​
MWC
San Jose State
33,025​
$197​
MWC
Utah State
27,691​
$510​
MWC
Wyoming
12,450​
$747​
MWC
East Carolina
28,718​
$288​
American
Memphis
21,458​
$223​
American
South Florida
50,830​
$889​
American
Temple
37,365​
$873​
American
Tulane
11,722​
$1,430​
American
Tulsa
3,343​
$1,114​
American
UAB
21,923​
$712​
American
Florida Atlantic
29,772​
$227​
American
Charlotte
30,146​
$230​
American
North Texas
42,375​
$211​
American
Rice
7,124​
$6,480​
American
UTSA
34,734​
$277​
American
Navy
4,400​
$320​
American

As has been said a few times, I think UNLV is the obvious choice. I'm not sure how intertwined the University of Nevada system is, so there could be some sort of stipulation where Nevada would have to tag along with UNLV. After that, I dunno. Colorado State? Maybe pick up a bloc of centrally located American teams (UTSA, UNT, Memphis, Tulsa)?

Now that I've put the list together one idea that intrigues me would be the idea of getting Air Force (from MWC), Navy (from American), and Army (from an independent). I'm sure there are plenty of reasons why they're in different (or no) conferences and/or are football only members in their conferences, but I think getting all of the service academies together would at least give the Pac something to sell to potential media partners. That could just be pollyannaish thinking on my part though.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I suspect the Big 12 is regretting jumping too soon by adding the AAC schools. A 14-team conference without UCF, BYU, Cincy & Houston and adding Washington and Oregon would be a really strong #3 conference in the country.
I think Houston is probably good for the Big 12 and makes sense geographically, but yeah, if they had Washington and Oregon incoming, there's no way UCF and Cincy get an invitation.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login