Defense recruiting news…

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
I didn't say you get a trophy but acting like it's something new for a commit to flip from a school like MSU to usc or alabama is idiotic. Happens to everyone every year.
I'm sure these 2 guys will enjoy watching Alabama and USC play standing in the sidelines, so at least they will not have to buy a ticket like most of those schools fans. Meanwhile, our defensive talent is so thin, they both could probably start next Saturday for State. I bet the 3 star guy going to USC isn't getting any more NIL than he would here. But he shouldn't have to worry about getting injured there. Benchers don't get injured unless they fall off the bench.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
Pretty sure Jackie recruited Henig as well. Croom was hired in December 2003 and signed Henig in February 2004.
I’m old and my memory might be off, but it seems like he was a late addition. I remember when Rob told us about him. The recruiting pic came out and he looked 12.
I also didn’t subscribe to Rivals until we started the coaching search. So there could’ve been articles on him before that.

Dogdazey

Nov 16, 2012
It’s not the DC. Pony up money for tacklers. Why pay big money for DC and then have **** to work with? I think they should pay less for a DC, go grab an out if the box thinker like Arnett was as DC or joe Lee was in his earlier days, and then spend the real money on the tacklers. If you got big time money do both, but we obviously don’t.
We just tried this... we paid less and got a Bama LB assistant coach. I agree, we need tacklers there is no doubt. We also need someone to teach tackling, zone defense in the defensive backfield and hold players accountable when they don't do what they are supposed to. Also, it may just help in bringing in a few recruits on defense, so that we don't have to play our JUCO talent. In every successful program, they normally have a well known DC, usually not an unknown, although I'm sure there are occasions. As we've seen, Mississippi State isn't the occasion.

Jul 11, 2024
I’m old and my memory might be off, but it seems like he was a late addition. I remember when Rob told us about him. The recruiting pic came out and he looked 12.
I also didn’t subscribe to Rivals until we started the coaching search. So there could’ve been articles on him before that.
I could be wrong. Wouldn’t be the first time!

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Does anybody still follow recruiting like they did 15 years ago?

I can’t justify spending any time trying to keep up. Followed it pretty closely till around the time Mullen left

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
Does anybody still follow recruiting like they did 15 years ago?

I can’t justify spending any time trying to keep up. Followed it pretty closely till around the time Mullen left
No. I’d already stepped back until Chris Jones. I got sucked back in during his recruitment. Completely checked out after he signed.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
We just tried this... we paid less and got a Bama LB assistant coach. I agree, we need tacklers there is no doubt. We also need someone to teach tackling, zone defense in the defensive backfield and hold players accountable when they don't do what they are supposed to. Also, it may just help in bringing in a few recruits on defense, so that we don't have to play our JUCO talent. In every successful program, they normally have a well known DC, usually not an unknown, although I'm sure there are occasions. As we've seen, Mississippi State isn't the occasion.
Paid less? We’re paying Hutzler one million dollars a year. That’s a lot of money. That’s the same salary as Batoon at Missouri, Haines Indiana, and Hampton Oregon.

Dogdazey

Nov 16, 2012
Paid less? We’re paying Hutzler one million dollars a year. That’s a lot of money. That’s the same salary as Batoon at Missouri, Haines Indiana, and Hampton Oregon.
ok, so we overpaid a DC to get underwhelming development of the talent or lack of that we have in house...

Reactions: bulldoghair

Anon1717806835

Jun 7, 2024
Pig Prather would be a good example. Quit Bengals training camp. Couldn’t learn the concepts and plays of an NFL defense. Came back to play for the Tupelo Fire Ants for a little while. Joe Lee knew his limitations and didn’t ask him to think. Found a scheme and a way to get many athletic tough players on the field that wouldn’t have cognitively made it in a more complex scheme most other places. Other words in todays era, the Georgias and the Ohio States wouldn’t have come trying to buy half the players we had on defense back then even though we were good. Our scheme was too different and allowed us to employ some athletes others couldn’t or wouldn’t. Same idea with your Sleepy Robinsons and Chris Relfs ect. If you run different schemes that might just require two things, less NIL spent and this spread out, and less worry about big money schools swooping in.
When Croom remarked at his press conference that he was bringing the Green Bay Packer's offense with him and it would be the toughest course on a player's schedule, I knew we were ******.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
When Croom remarked at his press conference that he was bringing the Green Bay Packer's offense with him and it would be the toughest course on a player's schedule, I knew we were ******.
Me too lol. Seems like I remember him saying it would take three years for them to learn his NFL west coast Green Bay offense.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login