Deion Sanders as our next coach

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
It’s easy to out talent everyone in the SWAC because everyone there is bringing in fourth rate talent. If you even bring in third rate talent, you’ll finish at the top. The SWAC is by far the worst FCS conference, so being the top dog there isn’t really that impressive. Compete in the FCS playoffs and win a playoff game or two, then I’ll be impressed.

Reactions: patdog

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
"If he fails, what harm is caused" Well, lets see. Does the name Rick Ray ring a bell? How about Joe Moorhead (currently holds the nations longest collegiate losing streak)? Then there's Nikki Mcray Pinson? I'm still on MSU failures in the last 10 years, do you want to look outside MSU too or is that enough for you? You not only give away their failed time while at your school you also have to wait for the wounds to heal after they're gone, thats "what harm is cause". Geez.....
And you are making my point for me. You just listed out safe hires. Ray, Moorhead, and Pinson were safe hirable candidates that were praised, yet turned out to be major busts. IF you hire the outlier/risky hire that gives you a talent upgrade liklihood and he's turns out a bust, guess where you end up? The same damn place.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
And you are making my point for me. You just listed out safe hires. Ray, Moorhead, and Pinson were safe hirable candidates that were praised, yet turned out to be major busts. IF you hire the outlier/risky hire that gives you a talent upgrade liklihood and he's turns out a bust, guess where you end up? The same damn place.
Rick Ray was not a safe hire who was praised. He was a desperation hire because nobody else wanted the job. Nobody knew who the hell he was.

Connor Mead1

Oct 18, 2022
It’s easy to out talent everyone in the SWAC because everyone there is bringing in fourth rate talent. If you even bring in third rate talent, you’ll finish at the top. The SWAC is by far the worst FCS conference, so being the top dog there isn’t really that impressive. Compete in the FCS playoffs and win a playoff game or two, then I’ll be impressed.
Valid point about the SWAC, however the level of talent he is bringing in at a SWAC school with nothing to offer facility and budget wise is really unbelievable. Makes you wonder what he could do with good facilities and a bigger budget?

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Rick Ray was not a safe hire who was praised. He was a desperation hire because nobody else wanted the job. Nobody knew who the hell he was.
Fine. Let's toss him out of the analogies then? Point still remains. Hiring a no-name that is retroactively justified as high-character, knows the game well, or is otherwise respected by talking heads, yet nobody else is trying to hire except MSU, will get you to the same place when they likely bust that the high-risk unorthodox hire gets you when they also likely bust. History at MSU supports a bust ending - so fearing that should be irrelevant in any hire. The biggest difference is that unorthodox hire should bring along with it some sort of atypical upside. In Sanders' case, recruiting ability in a world of have-nots.

Leach is an unorthodox hire on the X and O side and general coaching approach. I applaud that hire. Jury still out on whether or not it proves to be highly successful in our league, or another bust. I'm leaning toward bust unless we start upgrading talent. But at least we are trying something different. If it fails, it fails.

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
Let’s let Georgia Tech or FSU fail with him first. The current talent gap of JSU vs the SWAC may be bigger than Bama vs the FCS programs they play. Also, how many FCS head coaches have been hired to be Power 5 coaches in this century?

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Not sure what the future holds for Coach Prime but I hope the best for him. He's a great mentor/hype/brand man. I think he started his own NIL at FSU before NIL was even an official thing.

The ONLY knock I have on him is being 55 he talks and dresses like he is still 25. No big deal but just at a glance sometimes it seems really strange to me in my humble opinion.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Whether you want him for coach or not if you haven't watched on the sidelines in a game you ought to watch one of his games. NOT TO SWAY YOU ONE WAY OR THE OTHER but for the entertainment. He gets EVERYBODY's attention and wants everybody focused. If we hired him I guarantee you it would be damned entertaining .

Reactions: BingleCocktail

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
He's exactly the gamble a program like MSU should take. We have some money and facilities, but that's it. We need the intangibles that we've never had. National marketing and confidence. Prime is that. It would be real chance to actually elevate our profile to the point it could result in elite recruiting. Tired of 7-8 win seasons? Elevate your recruiting.

If he fails, what harm is caused? Get in line with the others that have failed and go back to traditional hiring.
I think your mind is in the right place with the gambling, but it shouldn't be on recruiting. We aren't an elite football recruiter, so Deion won't really move the needle there. So what if we go from upper 20s to lower 20s? His coaching isn't enough to overcome the gap that remains. And I highly doubt he can move us into the top 15.

We CAN move the needle by getting a great X/O coach with a great system, getting PERFECT at it, and developing players specifically for that. I personally would prefer Gus Malzahn but that's neither here nor there, we have the Air Raid. And the triple option isn't really a viable choice because you won't get any QBs.

Deion is another version of Orgeron/Dabo. I don't see that working at MSU. Just don't. It really only works at known 'recruiter' programs.

Reactions: Croomonshrooms

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
I think your mind is in the right place with the gambling, but it shouldn't be on recruiting. We aren't an elite football recruiter, so Deion won't really move the needle there. So what if we go from upper 20s to lower 20s? His coaching isn't enough to overcome the gap that remains. And I highly doubt he can move us into the top 15.

We CAN move the needle by getting a great X/O coach with a great system, getting PERFECT at it, and developing players specifically for that. I personally would prefer Gus Malzahn but that's neither here nor there, we have the Air Raid. And the triple option isn't really a viable choice because you won't get any QBs.

Deion is another version of Orgeron/Dabo. I don't see that working at MSU. Just don't. It really only works at known 'recruiter' programs.
Clemson is a "known recruiter" program?

Reactions: Motodawg

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
i donut understand how you can compare RICK RAY and M00REHEAD with PRIME TIME

this would be an experiment worth taking and if you disagree, take your back@$$wards ultra-right-wing-miss'ippi thinking with you

6-6 each season is more your speed. go pull for iowa state or something

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
Connor I watch a lot of football and haven’t seen a prime highlight in several years. The guy retired in 2004, the kids we are recruiting werent even born yet.
WR0NG. tell that to vanderbilt kids who play under jerry stackhouse. they respect a coach who has played at the NEXT LEVEL

Oct 17, 2022
WR0NG. tell that to vanderbilt kids who play under jerry stackhouse. they respect a coach who has played at the NEXT LEVEL
yea, I’m sure old YouTube clips of a guy who retired before they were born will trump 500k in NIL from a blue blood school.

this is just silly

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014

recruting is highly underrated.*** deion cant elevate recruiting*** orgeron is a failure for winning a national championship *** dabo runs a losing program at clumpson***

you are a total idi0t (NO SARCASTERISKS)

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2022
Howland doesn’t have anything to do with claiming a guy with three years of coaching experience in the swac would be a great head coach in the sec.

its a waste of time, it isn’t going to happen.

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
Howland doesn’t have anything to do with claiming a guy with three years of coaching experience in the swac would be a great head coach in the sec.

its a waste of time, it isn’t going to happen.
your right. risks are never worth taking. play it safe. 6-6 is your speed

Oct 17, 2022
You mean bad hires that set the program back ten years. No those Risks are never worth taking, which is why no P5 AD or professional search firm will entertain these dim witted internet fantasies.

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
You mean bad hires that set the program back ten years. No those Risks are never worth taking, which is why no P5 AD or professional search firm will entertain these dim witted internet fantasies.
and why 6-6 is the right speed. lets play it safe and be MEDIOCRE 4 LIFE

patdog

May 28, 2007
this would be an experiment worth taking and if you disagree, take your back@$$wards ultra-right-wing-miss'ippi thinking with you

6-6 each season is more your speed. go pull for iowa state or something
I agree. Rick Ray and Joe Moorhead were both infinitely more qualified to coach in the SEC than Coach Prime.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Setting us back 10 years still puts you in a stretch of 7-9 win seasons. Same expectations as today. Hell, it took only 1 season to recover from the Croom disaster before starting a streak of decade + bowl appearances that continues to this day. Enduring a ****** coaching tenure is no fun, but let's not act like it ruins programs like ours. 4 win seasons improve to 6/7 win seasons pretty easily.

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014

I agree. Rick Ray and Joe Moorhead were both infinitely more qualified to coach in the SEC than Coach Prime.
so what is there to lose?

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
He's exactly the gamble a program like MSU should take. We have some money and facilities, but that's it. We need the intangibles that we've never had. National marketing and confidence. Prime is that. It would be real chance to actually elevate our profile to the point it could result in elite recruiting. Tired of 7-8 win seasons? Elevate your recruiting.

If he fails, what harm is caused? Get in line with the others that have failed and go back to traditional hiring.
Is it not possible to elevate recruiting now? We know there is surplus budget. Have all barriers besides pure NIL payoffs been removed ?

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
Or ever. He barely beat a pretty good Div. II team that only had 36 scholarships compared to his 63.
MI&&I&&IPPI &TATE MOTTO---->" IF YOU DO WHAT YOU"VE ALWAYS DONE, YOU GET WHAT YOU"VE ALWAYS GOT"

MI&&I&&IPPI &TATE MOTTO---->" IF YOU DO WHAT YOU"VE ALWAYS DONE, YOU GET WHAT YOU"VE ALWAYS GOT"

cphillips615

Sep 30, 2022
To me this is spot on! Mississippi State is in desperate need of a "brand" right now. We need something that is going to shake up the college football world and media talking points. Its the reason why I (somewhat) like the idea of hiring Freeze...it would rock the boat in a lot of good ways. Neon is still also very much at "celebrity" status, which would only help with todays recruits. We need something flashy, and I cant think of anybody more flashy than Deion. Its the same thing that om got with hiring Kiffin. Hes flashy in his own way, controversial, polarizing, media loves him, and fits their program to a T (also why I dont think he will leave om any time soon). They honestly could not have made a better hire for themselves.

We need to shake things up now before we are left too far behind and become even more forgettable than we already are. In todays bowl game era, its new years six bowl at least...every other bowl has become insignificant and overall not the recruiting pitch it used to be. I would be all for the gamble, because at the very least it would put us on the map, and as mentioned before, would really shake things up in the college football world.
I could see Kiffin going to Auburn. Don't know if it would be smart for him but could for sure see it happening.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Clemson is a "known recruiter" program?
Hell yes they are. They've been attracting top talent for the past 40 years. Did you happen to notice that they won a national title in 1981? They've been packing out that stadium with over 80K since the mid-80s. They also benefit from being centrally located to Charlotte and Atlanta, and being in a state of 5M+. They are routinely in on the top prospects, and always have been since that time.

They aren't a top 5 level blue blood historically like Bama or Ohio State but they are certainly top 10-15. Not to mention now you almost have to consider them a blue blood since their rise in the 2010s. How can you comment on subjects while being this clueless?

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
Hell yes they are. They've been attracting top talent for the past 40 years. Did you happen to notice that they won a national title in 1981? They've been packing out that stadium with over 80K since the mid-80s. They also benefit from being centrally located to Charlotte and Atlanta, and being in a state of 5M+. They are routinely in on the top prospects, and always have been since that time.

They aren't a top 5 level blue blood historically like Bama or Ohio State but they are certainly top 10-15. Not to mention now you almost have to consider them a blue blood since their rise in the 2010s. How can you comment on subjects while being this clueless?
Just Asking No Big Deal GIF by Bleacher Report

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Well, people believe Leach is a good coach because he gives stupid interviews and is quirky. Even though he has never really won anything of note. won a lot of games at 2 not-so-good recruiters, as compared to his competition.
Went ahead and fixed that for you.

Is Dan Mullen a good coach? Because he's in the same boat.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login