Did someone say garbage offense??

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Danny is the only coach who really did that, since the Kang Era. And people try and say he's a 'system' coach - he's not, in any way, outside of the fact that he likes to run the QB.

Offensively, Croom/Moorhead/Leach/Barbay are all 'system' coaches. Leach is the only successful one, obviously. And Croom wanted to be one, although he never understood that he would have functioned better as a CEO/recruiter type. See, that's the hallmark of a bad coach - they don't even know their own strengths. That's what's happening with Arnett right now, as a DC, he was a good fundamental coach, as a head coach he's trying to be a micromanaging CEO/recruiter type and it's going to get him fired.

Mullen altered his play calling. His offense was still pretty limited without a running QB threat unless he had just top notch talent. He made it work mostly at Florida with a pure passer (Leak I think? or Leake?), but even then he relied a lot on Tebow coming in for short yardage and goal line packages. But definitely, he at least could make it work with Russell against lesser talent.

I don't understand what Barbay has done in one off season to confuse our offensive line so much. Certainly they had their issues last year, particularly against talented pass rushers, but they usually looked like they were on the same page.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
we ran an offense so secret last saturday that not even the players knew the code names

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
This thread could go on for 10 pages and I still would not understand the paranoia of simply trying Wright for a few series. I know where he came from and I know his stats but exactly how much worse does it have to get to at least give him a try ?

kired

Aug 22, 2008
and I know his stats but exactly how much worse does it have to get to at least give him a try ?
Blind comparison time. Junior seasons of two SEC quarterbacks. Which would you rather have? Could a team go 4-4 in the SEC with either of these?

QB1
Completion percentage 57.4%
TD:INT ratio: 3:1
Passing yards / attempt: 6.6
Rushing yards / attempt: 7.3

SEC only stats
Completion percentage 55.4%
TD:INT ratio: 2:1
Passing yards / attempt: 6.6
Rushing yards / attempt: 6.5

QB2
Completion percentage 55.6%
TD:INT ratio: 1.36:1
Passing yards / attempt: 6.2
Rushing yards / attempt: 6.1

SEC only stats
Completion percentage 53.3%
TD:INT ratio: 1.33:1
Passing yards / attempt: 5.6
Rushing yards / attempt: 5.9

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
"Which would you rather have?"
I'd rather have the one who can lead THIS team with THIS offense and I/we have no way of knowing who that is without both of them having a chance. If Wright flops it won't be the end of the world....just put Will back in.

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
This Is Fine GIF by 100% Soft

Reactions: onewoof

kired

Aug 22, 2008
"Which would you rather have?"
I'd rather have the one who can lead THIS team with THIS offense and I/we have no way of knowing who that is without both of them having a chance. If Wright flops it won't be the end of the world....just put Will back in.
If we were happy with Fitz, we should be thrilled at what Wright has the potential to do.

Reactions: patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login