DJ Jeffries to return…

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
He’s a slasher and this past year the lanes were clogged because of our inability to shoot the 3. When the offense opens things up he won’t be asked to do as much
I will admit he was better this year than the last but he still seemed to play out of control too much on offense.

Reactions: DAWGSANDSAINTS

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Offensively, DJ is what he is, and he just needs to make sure he isn’t taking more than 6-7 shots unless the lane is open.

Defensively, though, he’s a huge plus. You don’t find many guys like him that can defend all 5 positions, rebound, and play 30+ minutes. His shooting drives me nuts at times, but I’m thrilled to have him back

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Offensively, DJ is what he is, and he just needs to make sure he isn’t taking more than 6-7 shots unless the lane is open.

Defensively, though, he’s a huge plus. You don’t find many guys like him that can defend all 5 positions, rebound, and play 30+ minutes. His shooting drives me nuts at times, but I’m thrilled to have him back
He needs a wheel barrow and some mortar and we can finish the exterior of that Trustmark on main street.

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
Deshawn Davis said he's coming back too.

I don't follow close enough to know, do we have room for everyone? Do we still have room to add another shooter?

Reactions: Darryl Steight

trob115

Jul 5, 2011
Deshawn Davis said he's coming back too.

I don't follow close enough to know, do we have room for everyone? Do we still have room to add another shooter?
Yes we have room , but not likely we add another new player unless a can't miss impact player wants to come.
Trey Fort and Andy Taylor are the new shooters we added. You could argue Hubbard, but it's hard for a true freshman to play, especially under Jans.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Will we have guys who can make the long shot? Wasn't that a issue this past season?

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Will we have guys who can make the long shot? Wasn't that an issue this past season?
Easy now, let’s start with making free throws

Episode 5 Reaction GIF by Heels

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
This is beginning to feel like a legit Sweet Sixteen caliber team.
We were on the cusp last year. Ball bounces a different way against Pitt and we were right there. Or one more win in the regular season and we have a better seeding anyway. Just saying, we were close last year with ZERO offense. Defense won't go anywhere, and statistically there's no where to go but up on offense.

This should be a fun season.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I believe we finished DFL in America in 3-pt %. D-F-L. Wow.
Yes, the team was last in all of D1 in 3pt%. For as bad as the team shot in the Pitt game, they actually hit the season average for 3pt%.

Some numbers to ponder...
363rd in 3pt%
346th in FT%
306th in overall FG%
14th in offensive rebounds per game
25th in steals per game
98th in assists per game

The team was atrocious at shooting from all parts of the court- in close, at the line, and from deep. But they collected a lot of those missed shots. And the defense generated a lot of steals. Oh, and a lot of the shots the team did manage to make were assisted and not solo.
Hate the first 3 numbers, love the last 3 numbers.

It is straight up miraculous that MSU made it into the NCAA Tournament, given the shooting numbers.

trob115

Jul 5, 2011
We added Trey Fort and Andrew Taylor. Both are billed as 3 & D guys.

I'm more concerned with Fort moving from Juco up to major D1 basketball and his shooting percentage staying around 40%. He shot 45% last season in 200 attempts. Also is a 85% FT shooter. I'm

Taylor is a legitimate player and shot almost 40% from 3 in 230 attempts last year. He is also a 80% FT shooter. He can play the 1 or 2 and was Marshall's best shooter. He immediately can stretch the floor.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Yes, the team was last in all of D1 in 3pt%. For as bad as the team shot in the Pitt game, they actually hit the season average for 3pt%.

Some numbers to ponder...
363rd in 3pt%
346th in FT%
306th in overall FG%
14th in offensive rebounds per game
25th in steals per game
98th in assists per game

The team was atrocious at shooting from all parts of the court- in close, at the line, and from deep. But they collected a lot of those missed shots. And the defense generated a lot of steals. Oh, and a lot of the shots the team did manage to make were assisted and not solo.
Hate the first 3 numbers, love the last 3 numbers.

It is straight up miraculous that MSU made it into the NCAA Tournament, given the shooting numbers.
I feel like the 98th in assists per game is pretty impressive when you consider all the assists we should have had if players just made open shots at a slightly below average rate. We weren't bad at running his offense for the first year. Just hard to make any offense work when you can't make shots from the perimeter.

Reactions: HRMSU

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Eric Reed was a high volume(almost 6/game) 40% 3pt shooter over 2 seasons of D1 at SEMO, then shot 23.5% at MSU last season.

Really hoping this year's crop of shooters is able to better replicate prior success.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I feel like the 98th in assists per game is pretty impressive when you consider all the assists we should have had if players just made open shots at a slightly below average rate. We weren't bad at running his offense for the first year. Just hard to make any offense work when you can't make shots from the perimeter.
For sure. Being 98th in assists is perfectly fine on its own as a state, but when you consider how many missed shots the team had, 98th in assists looks downright excellent.

Reactions: HRMSU

trob115

Jul 5, 2011
Eric Reed was a high volume(almost 6/game) 40% 3pt shooter over 2 seasons of D1 at SEMO, then shot 23.5% at MSU last season.

Really hoping this year's crop of shooters is able to better replicate prior success.
Honestly I get the skepticism of incoming shooters.

However , I'm not sure how Reed ever shot 40% with his shooting motion. That shot form was atrocious and it took him 2 seconds to release the ball.

Reactions: BoDawg.sixpack
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login