Does anyone still think Lemonis should be our coach in 2024?

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Lemonis is in year 5. He could have a loaded team now with players he recruited that were in 9th grade and 10th grade when he took over. The previous head coaches turnover recruiting excuse has expired.

I think you missed what I was saying. The 4 teams in 4 years under different coaches that you referred to really had no instability from a recruiting standpoint. That instability didn’t start until the 2019 and 2020 classes. Cohen was responsible, directly or indirectly, for just about everyone that came in the 2017 and 2018 classes except Tanner Allen. Cann had Allen in ‘18 and some ‘19 and ‘20 guys. Cohen and Lemonis both had guys in the 2019 class, too. Logan Tanner and Kamren James were all Cohen. Bednar was Lemonis, the rest were mostly Cann….and outside of those 4 that class was a massive disappointment. Lemonis guys started coming in more during 2020 and his first full class came in last year (2021 class).

2020 was a terrible class outside of Cade Smith, Kellum Clark, and Preston Johnson. Cade was Cann and Clark was mostly Cohen but officially Cann….probably was headed to MSU regardless of who the coach was. Johnson was Lem. 2019-2020 were the turmoil classes. 2021 class of Lemonis was a dud because of how horrible the pitching prospects were….and that is a big part of our current issues. 2022 class was better but still not nearly good enough to make up for absolutely nothing being brought in pitching wise in 2020-2021.

I never made any excuse for the turnover causing bad recruiting and that being an excuse for Lemonis….he’s had plenty of time to correct all that at this point. I was just pointing out that there really wasn’t much recruiting turnover from the 2016-2019 years you mentioned, because outside of Bednar, Sims, and Allen….it was still all Cohen recruits even though there were 4 different coaches.

Last edited:
Reactions: Msuirondawgs

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
well bye GIF

Reactions: HailStout

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Those fly balls should be caught starting at 14u - to say otherwise is asi
This isn't a defense of Lemon but players running into each on fly balls, is player issue.

these guys have been playing long enough to know who has priority on called fly balls.

For instance the left fielder running into the center fielder is 100% a left fielder mistake. Centerfield has priority over Left and right field on balls In the gap.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I think you missed what I was saying. The 4 teams in 4 years under different coaches that you referred to really had no instability from a recruiting standpoint. That instability didn’t start until the 2019 and 2020 classes. Cohen was responsible, directly or indirectly, for just about everyone that came in the 2017 and 2018 classes except Tanner Allen. Cann had Allen in ‘18 and some ‘19 and ‘20 guys. Cohen and Lemonis both had guys in the 2019 class, too. Logan Tanner and Kamren James were all Cohen. Bednar was Lemonis, the rest were mostly Cann….and outside of those 4 that class was a massive disappointment. Lemonis guys started coming in more during 2020 and his first full class came in last year (2021 class).

2020 was a terrible class outside of Cade Smith, Kellum Clark, and Preston Johnson. Cade was Cann and Clark was mostly Cohen but officially Cann….probably was headed to MSU regardless of who the coach was. Johnson was Lem. 2019-2020 were the turmoil classes. 2021 class of Lemonis was a dud because of how horrible the pitching prospects were….and that is a big part of our current issues. 2022 class was better but still not nearly good enough to make up for absolutely nothing being brought in pitching wise in 2020-2021.

I never made any excuse for the turnover causing bad recruiting and that being an excuse for Lemonis….he’s had plenty of time to correct all that at this point. I was just pointing out that there really wasn’t much recruiting turnover from the 2016-2019 years you mentioned, because outside of Bednar, Sims, and Allen….it was still all Cohen recruits even though there were 4 different coaches.

Wonder how its known which of these guys are who? I mean its said above like this exactly how it went down, which is likely not true.

I mean every time a head coach or new coach or whatever, they are constantly recruiting guys. Who knows how many guys were on the board by any of these coaches at any time. You cant sign until your senior year of HS. If Cohen had someone committed as a freshman and left, then that staff if they wanted too and I'm sure not all of them they wanted too, would pick up the recruiting of said kid. Thus deserve credit/fault for getting that kid to campus.

example said kid commits to Cohen as a freshman, Cohen leaves. Said kids is still being openly recruited by everyone in because he hasnt signed. Cann/Next Coach/Etc gets named coach. I'm sure at the top of his list is contact the recruits. I'm sure there are some on the board where he was like yes, I like this kid, and probably a few where he was like ehhhhhh. Said Coach/Cann/Etc begins either recruiting that kid where the previous coach left off-- and signs kid/gets kid to campus--- he deserves credit for getting that kid to campus, not Cohen who was around 2-3 years ago.

The only way to really know whose was whose-- is if someone flipped late after a coaching change-- like Allen with Cann. Or kids leave immediatley after coach is named--- which i dont recall anyone of name that up and left because of either coaching changes.

Most high school kids primarly committing to their universtiy of choice and the SEC level of baseball not necessiarly a coach. Hence why when cohen left we didnt lose any that I can remember. Same with when Cann left, and same will happen when Lemo leaves or gets canned

Last edited:
Reactions: Msuirondawgs

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Unlike many on this board, I rarely get back to Starkville. I have been twice in the past 16 years. It’s not that I don’t want to, fate has just transpired to make it impossible. I still love State though. Every chance I get to watch them I do it. No matter what the sport. I’m a state fan, so I don’t expect us to be kings of the world. Hell, half of being a state fan is losing and still proudly claiming them as your own. There have only been two times in my life that I completely stopped paying attention to State. One was the Croom years. The other is now. It wasn’t anything I did on purpose. I just looked up and realized it was Sunday and I didn’t even know who we had played this weekend. I have zero doubt we are losing money hand over fist in donations from alumni who have become the same as me. It’s one thing for fans to be pissed. Pissed off you can work with. It’s something else when fans simply start to not care. That’s dangerous. One more year of Lemonis and I’m afraid that is where you will find the majority of the fan base. Considering baseball is the one sport where we can legitimately claim we have the best fans and experience, that is dangerous

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Ye
Its not a sunk cost if things improve next year. If the judgment is that he will be fired by next year either way then yeah, of course you go ahead and do it now. But the only way that can be the case is if he has lost the locker room. I don’t know if that is the case. It certainly appeared that way in the first 2 series. Then we showed some signs of life for the next 4 series, and now I’m starting to wonder again based on the past 2 weekends plus Sunday of the Auburn series.

As far as the pitching coach, that’s not more buyout by default. If its a good hire, he may be invited to stay by the next HC just like Geautreau was….or might even be the next HC himself
Wonder how its known which of these guys are who? I mean its said above like this exactly how it went down, which is likely not true.

I mean every time a head coach or new coach or whatever, they are constantly recruiting guys. Who knows how many guys were on the board by any of these coaches at any time. You cant sign until your senior year of HS. If Cohen had someone committed as a freshman and left, then that staff if they wanted too and I'm sure not all of them they wanted too, would pick up the recruiting of said kid. Thus deserve credit/fault for getting that kid to campus.

example said kid commits to Cohen as a freshman, Cohen leaves. Said kids is still being openly recruited by everyone in because he hasnt signed. Cann/Next Coach/Etc gets named coach. I'm sure at the top of his list is contact the recruits. I'm sure there are some on the board where he was like yes, I like this kid, and probably a few where he was like ehhhhhh. Said Coach/Cann/Etc begins either recruiting that kid where the previous coach left off-- and signs kid/gets kid to campus--- he deserves credit for getting that kid to campus, not Cohen who was around 2-3 years ago.

The only way to really know whose was whose-- is if someone flipped late after a coaching change-- like Allen with Cann. Or kids leave immediatley after coach is named--- which i dont recall anyone of name that up and left because of either coaching changes.

Most high school kids primarly committing to their universtiy of choice and the SEC level of baseball not necessiarly a coach. Hence why when cohen left we didnt lose any that I can remember. Same with when Cann left, and same will happen when Lemo leaves or gets canned
Its not always easy bc you can credit John Cohen for Sims. He had that pretty much locked up when he took the AD job. Sims just decided that he was cool with Cann as well.

Reactions: Perd Hapley

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
And if so, can you give me one good reason he should be? The title was great, but that was 2 years ago. Is there anything about our program today that makes you think he should keep his job?
Absolutely not. There is absolutely no reason to retain anyone from this staff after the last 2 years. It took me until this weekend to come to that conclusion. I gave Lemonis MORE than enough time to convince me he should get another year but it's not happening. He has taken the best program in the nation and killed it in 2 years, which is remarkable.

If ZS doesn't see the writing on the wall then we, as a fanbase, have ways of capturing his attention. The attendance this weekend was one way, although I hate that route and think it should only be used as a last resort.

I love you all,
GOJ

Nov 25, 2019
This State team is very young. Those dropped fly balls yesterday will be outs next year regardless of the coach. The hitting and freshmen pitchers will improve.

You keep Lemonis one more year to keep the freshmen and the continuity.

if you fire Lemonis this year, you probably have a mass exodus of freshmen and you are looking a total rebuild the next two years, at best.
we would be wasting time to wait another year.

Reactions: thekimmer

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
This isn't a defense of Lemon but players running into each on fly balls, is player issue.

these guys have been playing long enough to know who has priority on called fly balls.

For instance the left fielder running into the center fielder is 100% a left fielder mistake. Centerfield has priority over Left and right field on balls In the gap.
I get that but like anything else you practice those things just like you would practicing bunt practice, dropped third strike inside/outside etc

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login