Does Leach need a bruising RB?...

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
It's a catch 22 for me b/c you probably need to be a good pass catcher but our running style is very little misdirection. It's run and hope the hole is there and you need to be good at yards after contact. That's why I think Dillon Johnson > Woody Marks. He gets the extra yards.

XBLDawg

Mar 20, 2014
Not sure. I think you just need talent and experience. Price has looked good in his limited carries at finding open space and getting extra yards. The difference is, he can be brought in for limited situations.

When Marks and Johnson both were pressed into duty out of necessity, neither one of them had any escapability. It took them a over a full season and changing their bodies in the offseason to become SEC backs.

The problem with going with a bruising back is that backs of that type are typically not very good in the pass game. So, if you have a 3rd down or pass receiving back, the defense can key on plays depending on who is in the game in that situation.

Reactions: HRMSU

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
It's a catch 22 for me b/c you probably need to be a good pass catcher but our running style is very little misdirection. It's run and hope the hole is there and you need to be good at yards after contact. That's why I think Dillon Johnson > Woody Marks. He gets the extra yards.
I think it makes it much better. Like you said, you have to be able to catch, but it's so much harder to leave a light box if you have a RB back there that is good at breaking tackles and getting extra yards. But I guess any scheme is better if your RB can catch and is also a bruiser. I guess maybe there's a question of whether it's worth giving up speed in order to get a bruiser, and I'm not sure on that. Worth it for the run game but not sure what it means if you are throwing swing passes to guys without good speed.

Sep 15, 2009
I say yes because it seems we find ourselves in 3 and 4th and 1 or 2 alot. Having a big bruising RB that can bully his way for 1-2 yards in those situations would be great to have

MarkDallas

Aug 27, 2014
I think an Ezekiel Elliott type would be perfect in this system. Good hands, excellent in pass protection, hits the hole and falls forward, decent elusiveness.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
#1 thing is they have to be able to catch and run, juke the first tackler and get some yardage on short throws. That is the most important over anything else. If they can block and run over guys, that is a plus. DJ is very good, all around RB for us. I like Woody's shiftiness and cut ability, but he isn't durable. If you recruit a bunch of "Woody" types, it will always be RB by committee due to the shots they take.

Off topic a bit, I love the delayed shuttle pass. Will does a good job on selling the downfield throw before pitching it to the RB. We kept burning Arky (and A&M) with this play.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
The last several of State’s running backs have been or would have been good in this scheme. Williams wasn’t super shifty or a bruiser but he had a knack for falling forward every time he was tackled. Kylin Hill was a butthole and left early but he showed great promise running routes.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I think an Ezekiel Elliott type would be perfect in this system. Good hands, excellent in pass protection, hits the hole and falls forward, decent elusiveness.
I was thinking a Barry Sanders-Earl Campbell type combo would work in this system too. Shifty elusiveness is above average, plus he could probably get the tough yards inside.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I think it's more about vision, finding open space and going to it. All of our backs seem good about it. although sometimes they run into the back of someone and miss the open space or cut back

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
#1 thing is they have to be able to catch and run, juke the first tackler and get some yardage on short throws. That is the most important over anything else. If they can block and run over guys, that is a plus. DJ is very good, all around RB for us. I like Woody's shiftiness and cut ability, but he isn't durable. If you recruit a bunch of "Woody" types, it will always be RB by committee due to the shots they take.

Off topic a bit, I love the delayed shuttle pass. Will does a good job on selling the downfield throw before pitching it to the RB. We kept burning Arky (and A&M) with this play.
I like Woody a bunch, but he needs to learn to do the one cut and go method of running. Right now, in my opinion, he is leaving tons of yards on the field because he knows where the play says to run and he just goes in there and hits that hole. Each game, there are maybe 5 plays were if he were patient on the 2nd down run and cut back against the grain as the blocks form he would have multiple 15 yarders a game.

Reactions: BigDawg0074
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login