Does Penn State wrestler Carter Starocci have to compete at Big Tens to make NCAAs?

BVSt.Paul

Oct 12, 2021
I’m staying optimistic. I want to believe that if it was season ending, we’d know by now.

Reactions: LionJim

hohmadw1978

Oct 7, 2021
Have had seven left knee surgeries with a total knee replacement and a repair. My longtime Orthopedic Surgeon and I have become friends and mentioned this to me years ago that a dislocation may not result in structural damage.

For example, I had a stress fracture in my right knee and it healed on its on its own,

Hope this helps.

@Tgar
@GregPickel

Last edited:

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Have had seven knee surgeries with a total knee replacement and a repair. My longtime Orthopedic Surgeon and I have become friends and mentioned this to me years ago that a dislocation may not result in structural damage.

For example, I had a stress fracture in my right knee and it healed on its on its own,

Hope this helps.

@Tgar
@GregPickel
Thank you for the info!

Reactions: hohmadw1978

hohmadw1978

Oct 7, 2021
Also, Spencer Lee of Iowa wrestled one year at the NCAA national championships with ACL issues.

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
It sounds impossible, but I trust internet posters when it comes to patellar dislocations. JK. I read an article and was squirming like a little kid, grabbing my own knees and quickly scrolled to the end of the article. Normal people need weeks of immobilization. Carter Starocci requires stadium steps.

gimb14

May 3, 2022
I'm surprised foreverlion isn't here demanding private medical information.

Dec 23, 2021
Just to be clear, there is a big difference between a dislocated knee and a dislocated patella. Your patella is referred to in lay-man's terms as your knee cap.
I'm not saying it is impossible to dislocate the knee - meaning the bones in the upper leg and/or lower leg separate from the joint and not also suffer structural damage. But I think it is unlikely. If he has no damage, it was likely a patella dislocation.
I suffered a dislocated knee (not patella) while playing soccer in college. Some of you may have heard of the "trifecta" of knee injuries - often referred to as blowing out your knee. I accomplished the "quadfecta". It was the trifecta plus fractured the head of my femur. Torn ACL, Torn LCL, Torn Miniscus + femur fracture.
If the report on the board is accurate that he has no structural damage then halleluiah. That is a positive first report and is encouraging for his return to the mat in the post season.

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
Just to be clear, there is a big difference between a dislocated knee and a dislocated patella. Your patella is referred to in lay-man's terms as your knee cap.
I'm not saying it is impossible to dislocate the knee - meaning the bones in the upper leg and/or lower leg separate from the joint and not also suffer structural damage. But I think it is unlikely. If he has no damage, it was likely a patella dislocation.
I suffered a dislocated knee (not patella) while playing soccer in college. Some of you may have heard of the "trifecta" of knee injuries - often referred to as blowing out your knee. I accomplished the "quadfecta". It was the trifecta plus fractured the head of my femur. Torn ACL, Torn LCL, Torn Miniscus + femur fracture.
If the report on the board is accurate that he has no structural damage then halleluiah. That is a positive first report and is encouraging for his return to the mat in the post season.
Just reading your post made me queasy. I only had a partial tear of my ACL and the pain was excruciating.

Reactions: BW Lion

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
I actually did this in hockey. Hurt like all hell but no real lasting damage. I was out for a while, but also wasn’t an Olympic level athlete so who knows.
What was a “while”?

I will proudly watch Carter simply step on the mat twice at the meaningless B1G tourney to hope he has an opportunity at another natty.

If not, no biggie. Carter doesn’t need to prove anything. He just needs to get healthy.

Last edited:
Reactions: SRATH and lobolion

cb1994

Oct 31, 2022
What was a “while”?

I will proudly watch Carter simply step on the mat twice at the meaningless B1G tourney to ensure at least has an opportunity at another natty.

Carter doesn’t need another natty, he just needs to get healthy. That’s the most important thing IMO
Probably a month - 6 weeks until I felt right. But again, I didn’t have a 4th national title to play for, or the PSU training staff, and I certainly wasn’t that level of athlete.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Taking a MFF at B1Gs would probably take him out of consideration, which would be a shame for him.

It sure would. Saw that earlier and meant to share and then got sidetracked. But yeah, would be a shame. We’ll see how it all plays out.

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
It sure would. Saw that earlier and meant to share and then got sidetracked. But yeah, would be a shame. We’ll see how it all plays out.
Greg,
What day next week is Cael and wrestler’s speaking to the media ?

1995PSUGrad

Oct 30, 2021
If Carter is able to wrestle and win #4, most likely being PSU's 1st 4 timer, I think he might be okay with not winning the Hodge.

Reactions: WV lion

pioneerlion83

Oct 6, 2021
Thanks. Can you have a “ dislocated knee “ without ripping things apart?

Have had seven left knee surgeries with a total knee replacement and a repair. My longtime Orthopedic Surgeon and I have become friends and mentioned this to me years ago that a dislocation may not result in structural damage.

Hope this helps.

@Tgar
@GregPickel
But for the old, broken down garbage scowls that @Tgar and me are, we'd be crawling over the to other side of the mat to get our lower leg!!!! 🤣

Young guy like Carter though, in the kind of athletic shape he is in, with the medical attention/treatment/rest he will get, he'll be ready at the NCAAs to take on Thanos!!!

All kidding aside, hope Carter heals well and has a fighting chance at the NCAAs. It can happen.

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
I think it comes down to Haines. Mesenbrink, Starocci, and Kerk next year from a PSU perspective.
Don’t forget Bartlett. We MUST get our donors involved and get Bartlett back for his final season.