E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!! Birds - Falcons game thread

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
We gave Saquon two games. That’s it.
I know this is tic, but Saquon should not blame himself. Siriani should have not called a passing play. You have to run the ball in that situation to give ATL less time. Actually, the best move is probably tush push on 3rd and 3. If you get at least 1.5 yards, you do it again on 4th down. If you don't get it on 4th, ATL has less time and is more inclined to just go for a FG to tie the game.

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
Finally an intelligent comment about going for it. I was thinking the same. The numbers couldn't have been that different between the two situations. Why go for it once and not the second time? As you said, scoring a TD on just one of the two drives wins the game. I don't know what the eagles analytics said about the pct chance to win (maybe it was wrong, maybe it was right) , but to blindly say it was dumb, or the classic "take the points" is foolish.
might be 'foolish' but that kind of stuff gets your *** beat. Take the points, win the game.

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
might be 'foolish' but that kind of stuff gets your *** beat. Take the points, win the game.
Where is your evidence that "taking the points" wins the game? The 1983 guide to football strategy?
You mentioned Washington kicking 7 FGs in a game to get a victory. Well, 21 points wasn't winning the Eagles game. The ave NFL score over the last 10 years is 21.8 to 24.8 points. Scoring 21 is going to lose more often than it wins, so I guess if you are happy with a ~ 7-9 record, kick away.

As I said before, I don't know what the numbers said so I can't say whether or not going for it was a positive EV play in that situation so I refrain from judgement. But to call it dumb without knowing the actual percentages is ignorant. If you want to be critical, question why Nick didn't go for it again in almost the same situation in the 4th quarter. That is the part that doesn't make sense.

Reactions: WestSideLion

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
Where is your evidence that "taking the points" wins the game? The 1983 guide to football strategy?
You mentioned Washington kicking 7 FGs in a game to get a victory. Well, 21 points wasn't winning the Eagles game. The ave NFL score over the last 10 years is 21.8 to 24.8 points. Scoring 21 is going to lose more often than it wins, so I guess if you are happy with a ~ 7-9 record, kick away.

As I said before, I don't know what the numbers said so I can't say whether or not going for it was a positive EV play in that situation so I refrain from judgement. But to call it dumb without knowing the actual percentages is ignorant. If you want to be critical, question why Nick didn't go for it again in almost the same situation in the 4th quarter. That is the part that doesn't make sense.
take the points at the beginning of the game, puts Atlanta behind. I think or at least hope you agree throwing the ball at the end of the game was dumb, dumb dumb. Keep the clock moving , take the points, win the game. You work too hard to gamble things away. Washington only needed 21 to win.

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
take the points at the beginning of the game, puts Atlanta behind. I think or at least hope you agree throwing the ball at the end of the game was dumb, dumb dumb. Keep the clock moving , take the points, win the game. You work too hard to gamble things away. Washington only needed 21 to win.
You missed the point on Wash. They were fortunate to be playing a crap team. Over the long run, that strategy is going to lose more games than it wins (again ave NFL score is >22 pts). Provide me some kind of evidence that taking the points wins more games than it doesn't, aside from, that's what I learned from football coaches in 1983. And how about, you work too hard to gamble things away to only get 3 points when you could get 7?

I already posted above that passing the ball was not a good move. As I said though, I would have tush pushed twice (as long as the first gains more than 1 yard). I will argue that taking the 3 points in that situation may have cost them the game. If Atl was only down by 3, they would have likely played it safer and just kicked a FG to tie the game.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Should have been a lovely evening with my whole crew gathered but NOOOOOO Eagles D took the nite off
Yea thats sucked. Since both PA teams have issues(Steelers Offense and QB suck balls and Eagle defense is the same) I suggest a merge. Eagles get Pickens and Pat F and the Steelers Defense. Super Bowl here we come. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Tom McAndrew

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
It was like watching touch football.....
+100. What the hell was the defense even doing on the last drive. Well they weren't very good on the other drives but at least I saw Green uniforms on the TV Screen. That final 45+ seconds was abysmal.

Reactions: s1uggo72

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
On the alternate ESPN2 telecast the Mannings were joined by Matt Ryan and all three were shocked at the pass call on the third down play, the one where Barkley muffed the catch.

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
You missed the point on Wash. They were fortunate to be playing a crap team. Over the long run, that strategy is going to lose more games than it wins (again ave NFL score is >22 pts). Provide me some kind of evidence that taking the points wins more games than it doesn't, aside from, that's what I learned from football coaches in 1983. And how about, you work too hard to gamble things away to only get 3 points when you could get 7?

I already posted above that passing the ball was not a good move. As I said though, I would have tush pushed twice (as long as the first gains more than 1 yard). I will argue that taking the 3 points in that situation may have cost them the game. If Atl was only down by 3, they would have likely played it safer and just kicked a FG to tie the game.
I didnt miss the point, Washington won, and that's the point of the game, you play to win the game. Again you work too hard to trade a known for a wish list. My God the Eagles have the best kicker in the NFL, use him!
I guarantee the Eagles coaches puked this morning watching that film and all that work down the drain. Maybe some of those guys could take lessons from the '83 class. Guys with all the answers hardly know the questions.

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
I didnt miss the point, Washington won, and that's the point of the game, you play to win the game. Again you work too hard to trade a known for a wish list. My God the Eagles have the best kicker in the NFL, use him!
I guarantee the Eagles coaches puked this morning watching that film and all that work down the drain. Maybe some of those guys could take lessons from the '83 class. Guys with all the answers hardly know the questions.
No, you definitely missed the point. You are using one data point (Wash vs NYG). That is a terrible way to analyze anything.
And you offer zero proof that "taking the points" is a winning strategy over a large sample size.

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
Yea thats sucked. Since both PA teams have issues(Steelers Offense and QB suck balls and Eagle defense is the same) I suggest a merge. Eagles get Pickens and Pat F and the Steelers Defense. Super Bowl here we come. 🤣

Reactions: bbrown

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
No, you definitely missed the point. You are using one data point (Wash vs NYG). That is a terrible way to analyze anything.
And you offer zero proof that "taking the points" is a winning strategy over a large sample size.
I'll send Dick and Gibby down to talk to you. Maybe Bobby Ross as well.

Lionville

Oct 19, 2021
He was much more forgiving of the Defense than I am. D's and F's across the board.
The Eagles second tight end, Calcaterra, is a joke. He missed so many blocks you have to wonder why he was the lead blocker on many of Barkley’s runs where he got stuffed for a loss or no gain. Looked like a matador out there. That being said, TE’s get a D-.

Reactions: TheBigUglies

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Interesting stat in that one...it's only the 2nd time in NFL history that a team won a game without scoring a TD to beat a team that scored at least 3 touchdowns.

• Wow
Reactions: Grant Green

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
I agree with Tony Dungy ... he said at the end rather then throw it to Saquon it was short enough to run Saquon on 3rd down and if he doesn't get the first down then do the tush push for the 1st. Why throw it? They could have run another 45 seconds off the clock if they didn't make it.

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
Yeah, ok. Those guys used to punt on 4th and 1 at the opponents 40 yard line.
Tom Landry would kick a FG on 4th and goal from 1/2 yard out IN THE FIRST HALF. But what the hell did he know about football? It was also 4th and 4 on that possession, not 4th and 1. Kicking the FG in that situation should have been a no brainer.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Tom Landry would kick a FG on 4th and goal from 1/2 yard out IN THE FIRST HALF. But what the hell did he know about football? It was also 4th and 4 on that possession, not 4th and 1. Kicking the FG in that situation should have been a no brainer.
+1. Analytics is for a bunch of nerds that never played and have a pocket protector and Texas Instrument Calculator and think they are on to something that no one has ever thought of. ;) 🤣

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
So Tom Landry was right about everything he did? Don't you think he would adjust if there was sufficient evidence that there was a better strategy. Maybe he would have won even more games if he had gone for it in these situations. The best coaches can adapt as new information is available.

Why should kicking be a no brainer? Please explain and remember that making a FG is not 100% either.
I think you are basing your reasoning on how you grew up watching football and what you were told when you were young. I'm not saying that going for it was 100% the right move, but to act like kicking a FG is the only option and the coach is dumb for going for it is just wrong. In this particular case, I think you can make reasonable arguments for both.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
+1. Analytics is for a bunch of nerds that never played and have a pocket protector and Texas Instrument Calculator and think they are on to something that no one has ever thought of. ;) 🤣
It's funny...I heard a lot of that about 15-20 years ago on baseball forums as teams started to use defensive shifts. Then, more and more coaches started doing it, and it turned out to be so effective that MLB had to ban it since it was so good that it hurt the game.

Red Auerbach is probably rolling over in his grave at the lack of mid-range jumpers in basketball. Why should everyone focus on layups and 3's when his teams won by taking a lot of "bad" (at least now we know that they were bad thanks to analytics) shots?

Those darn stat nerds have no idea what they're talking about.

• Haha

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
The thing that people miss with the going for it (rather than settling for a FG) deep is the field position. Take the 3 points, and you're giving the other team the ball at the ~30 now. Go for it, and you're gaining 25+ yards of field position in that spot. Those 25 yards don't directly impact the scoreboard, but they certainly have an impact and are very much factored into the analytics that they are using to make their decisions. I thought going for it early was the right call.
Which is exactly why he should have gone for it at the end of the game instead of taking the field goal. Even if you don’t make it, Atlanta would start at their own three with very little time and they’d have been playing for a field goal, so at worst you tie. I don’t care about him going for it in the first quarter, but he botched it at the end for sure.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Which is exactly why he should have gone for it at the end of the game instead of taking the field goal. Even if you don’t make it, Atlanta would start at their own three with very little time and they’d have been playing for a field goal, so at worst you tie. I don’t care about him going for it in the first quarter, but he botched it at the end for sure.
I didn't find either decision to be egregious....they were both coin flips for me. I probably would have gone for both of them. The really bad decision was the 3rd down pass...just not enough reward there to make up for the risk, when you could get the same result with a toss sweep out wide that doesn't risk stopping the clock.

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
I didn't find either decision to be egregious....they were both coin flips for me. I probably would have gone for both of them. The really bad decision was the 3rd down pass...just not enough reward there to make up for the risk, when you could get the same result with a toss sweep out wide that doesn't risk stopping the clock.
Really? Did you see what happened to the toss sweep they tried earlier in the game? Heck they probably would have run him out of bounds.

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
When it works, no one ever talks about it again and forgets. When it fails, you’re “chasing points” and it was a terrible decision.
That’s fair. I just wish he’d have approached both calls consistently. That very likely wins the game. But the second guessing is why Siriani makes big money.

Reactions: Grant Green

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
That’s fair. I just wish he’d have approached both calls consistently. That very likely wins the game. But the second guessing is why Siriani makes big money.
I have been thinking about that call, are we sure Nick approved that call (certainly the OC would tell him what he was thinking), or did Hurts think he saw something, and checked to that play? No one has said Hurts had, but it just got me thinking.
either call would have been ok if we didnt have a mirage for a D.

TheBigUglies

Oct 26, 2021
I have been holding off posting anything about this cluster fark on Monday night. I don't blame Barkley for the dropped ball. There were many other reasons why they were in that situation in the first place. You would think they would have used a defensive game plan in the past when they played Cousins on the Vikings and shut him down. Defensive play calling is not at the level it needs to be. Absolutely no pass rush on a less than a 100% healed QB to force him out of the pocket and run around and make dumb decisions. Fangio is not a good DC and if we end up with Patricia halfway thru the season I won't be surprised. I do like all the motion on offense and Barkley was running the ball decently but why can't any WRs get open? It can't be because AJ is on IR, do the routes suck? The amount of penalties that negated positive plays is infuriating!! I see us getting pummeled by the Saints next weekend because the Eagles defense is Swiss cheese at times. Yeah, they had a few good stops but NO > Atlanta. Seasons over, Fire Sirianni, experiment is over, I think he made it to the Super Bowl based on is OC/DC combination at the time. I know it is only 2nd game but, seems like same shiite, diff season.

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
I have been holding off posting anything about this cluster fark on Monday night. I don't blame Barkley for the dropped ball. There were many other reasons why they were in that situation in the first place. You would think they would have used a defensive game plan in the past when they played Cousins on the Vikings and shut him down. Defensive play calling is not at the level it needs to be. Absolutely no pass rush on a less than a 100% healed QB to force him out of the pocket and run around and make dumb decisions. Fangio is not a good DC and if we end up with Patricia halfway thru the season I won't be surprised. I do like all the motion on offense and Barkley was running the ball decently but why can't any WRs get open? It can't be because AJ is on IR, do the routes suck? The amount of penalties that negated positive plays is infuriating!! I see us getting pummeled by the Saints next weekend because the Eagles defense is Swiss cheese at times. Yeah, they had a few good stops but NO > Atlanta. Seasons over, Fire Sirianni, experiment is over, I think he made it to the Super Bowl based on is OC/DC combination at the time. I know it is only 2nd game but, seems like same shiite, diff season.
It’s early but I think fans have a legit question on whether this is a continued downward trend under Nick. Monday was a carbon copy of last season’s losing streak. Bang on copy.

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
here's the problem with your theory JL likes Nick, and Howie aint going anywhere either.
JL and Howie have a playbook now. Hire a young coach and ride the novelty momentum to a Super Bowl run. Then the novelty wears off and you fire said coach for slipping. Then you hire another young coach.

It worked with Dougie Fresh and now with Siriani. One won a title and the other came damn close.

Im just saying.

Latest posts