E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!! Birds - Falcons game thread

EricStratton-RushChairman

Oct 6, 2021
Not sure if posted earlier but game should have never ended up on SB's fingertips. The play before was designed to draw Judon offsides, and it did except the LT failed to flinch backwards to draw the penalty (had to call TO). If you re-watch the play you can see the guy in motion, and the HC, lose their minds. They had them offsides and blew it. Although SB still should have caught the ball, and the DC totally failed with his calls on last drive.

Reactions: WestSideLion

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021

The knock on Dotson in Washington was that he just couldn't create separation against NFL DBs (the QB play certainly didn't do him any favors). I was interested to see how he did with his opportunity this weekend with Brown out, but assumed until seeing this that he wasn't on the field that much...he played a lot, so either he wasn't getting open, or Hurts wasn't looking his way.

Corner Room Breakfast

Oct 27, 2021
The knock on Dotson in Washington was that he just couldn't create separation against NFL DBs (the QB play certainly didn't do him any favors). I was interested to see how he did with his opportunity this weekend with Brown out, but assumed until seeing this that he wasn't on the field that much...he played a lot, so either he wasn't getting open, or Hurts wasn't looking his way.
I've seen him open underneath on several passes, difficult to see on TV because of close up views.

Reactions: Erial_Lion

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
It's funny...I heard a lot of that about 15-20 years ago on baseball forums as teams started to use defensive shifts. Then, more and more coaches started doing it, and it turned out to be so effective that MLB had to ban it since it was so good that it hurt the game.

Red Auerbach is probably rolling over in his grave at the lack of mid-range jumpers in basketball. Why should everyone focus on layups and 3's when his teams won by taking a lot of "bad" (at least now we know that they were bad thanks to analytics) shots?

Those darn stat nerds have no idea what they're talking about.
Apples and oranges.

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
I have been holding off posting anything about this cluster fark on Monday night. I don't blame Barkley for the dropped ball. There were many other reasons why they were in that situation in the first place. You would think they would have used a defensive game plan in the past when they played Cousins on the Vikings and shut him down. Defensive play calling is not at the level it needs to be. Absolutely no pass rush on a less than a 100% healed QB to force him out of the pocket and run around and make dumb decisions. Fangio is not a good DC and if we end up with Patricia halfway thru the season I won't be surprised. I do like all the motion on offense and Barkley was running the ball decently but why can't any WRs get open? It can't be because AJ is on IR, do the routes suck? The amount of penalties that negated positive plays is infuriating!! I see us getting pummeled by the Saints next weekend because the Eagles defense is Swiss cheese at times. Yeah, they had a few good stops but NO > Atlanta. Seasons over, Fire Sirianni, experiment is over, I think he made it to the Super Bowl based on is OC/DC combination at the time. I know it is only 2nd game but, seems like same shiite, diff season.
Interesting that Barkley blamed himself.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Uh looks to me like it was 4th and goal from the 1 not 4th and 4. Also wasn’t the first possession of the game either.
You're better off going for it on the 1st possession of the game because it brings the field position into play. At the end of the half, the numbers skew further towards the "kick it" since the field position won't matter...field position is a very "underrated" variable in these decisions that few ever consider (or at least don't consider enough).

Latest posts