ESPN on YTTV

The Fatboy

Oct 18, 2005
I got an error when trying to view any of the ESPNs so I just canceled YTTV and switched to Hulu Live

Independent George

Sep 21, 2014
They’ll work it out. They have to. No streaming service can make it without carrying ESPN and ESPN knows that. The thing that sucks is that the increased cost will just be passed to the subscribers.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
That is what Disney wants you to do. Me I am going back to shady Russian streaming sites. Disney has gotten their last penny from me.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
They’ll work it out. They have to. No streaming service can make it without carrying ESPN and ESPN knows that. The thing that sucks is that the increased cost will just be passed to the subscribers.

Don't panic. It'll be resolved soon.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
Don't panic. It'll be resolved soon.

And we'll all soon be paying exactly what we were paying before cutting the cord. And the providers will be making more profit, because now they don't have to worry about maintaining equipment in your home. It was all too good to be true

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I can’t believe they went through with it. Frankly the only reason we have YouTube at all is for live sports, and they already dropped the regional Fox/Bally stations a while back. Without ESPN, they’re essentially worthless to me

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I can’t believe they went through with it. Frankly the only reason we have YouTube at all is for live sports, and they already dropped the regional Fox/Bally stations a while back. Without ESPN, they’re essentially worthless to me

I agree. They had an awful time to negotiate this with bowl season and college basketball.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
What we should be discussing is why are we forced to buy crap we don't want just to have ESPN. And why isn't ESPN/Disney/ABC priced the exact same price for all TV providers, size it's the exact same content.

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
What we should be discussing is why are we forced to buy crap we don't want just to have ESPN. And why isn't ESPN/Disney/ABC priced the exact same price for all TV providers, size it's the exact same content.

Putting on my tin foil hat here.. but Disney has a 67% ownership stake in Hulu and a small ownership stake in FubuTV. Don’t think it’s too unreasonable to say that Disney is the one playing hardball here with YouTube TV

notoriousD_O_G

Apr 1, 2013
I just signed up for sling. They have a $20 package with all the sports channels for the first month. I only have YTTV to watch sports and for my kids to watch Disney

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
First of all, DIRECTV stream is really good for anyone looking to switch. I prefer it to Hulu, though it is a bit higher price. I think but cannot swear the picture is better (and that could be a difference in my settings between them), and I know the interface is preferable to me.

Secondly- I’m paying about as much for DIRECTV stream as I used to pay for dish network, so ”one day” is here.

Also, if I didn’t need live sports, I’d be tickled to death to just pay for a couple streaming services and borrow a couple more.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Thanks. I did this. Its the orange package plus the sports extra package

edited: this doesnt give you ABC though

Last edited by a moderator:

yjnkdawg

Sep 6, 2013
YouTube said you can get the Disney Bundle and you will get "most" of the channels. What they don't tell you is that you don't get any of the ESPN channels other than ESPN+. I had AT&T UVerse but it got to be too expensive, and I didn't need over 400 channels. So I switched to YouTube about a month ago. I guess I will probably switch to the AT&T Streaming Service, since I have my other services with them. I really thought YouTube actually had a better quality picture than AT&T had (DirectTV, UVerse or what used to be DirecTV Now). I think it's because YouTube doesn't have to compress their signals. Oh well, it is what it is in the TV provider world.

yjnkdawg

Sep 6, 2013
If YOuTube TV is going to survive , then they had better bite the bullet and meet Disney's carrier fees , because they can't survive without Disney, and Disney knows that.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Honestly, I’d pay $15-$20 a month for the ESPN/ESPN+ family of channels alone. I have to feel like that’s coming at some point.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Honestly, I’d pay $15-$20 a month for the ESPN/ESPN+ family of channels alone. I have to feel like that’s coming at some point.

There are plenty of articles online and several industry people have commented in videos.

The magic number is about 50mil subs through live TV options such as cable, dish/satellite, and live streaming services. Until they get to that number from the current 70+mil, they are making more money without the app.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
For any of you planning to leave YTTV be sure to log into your account before you do and change your phone number on the account to somebody you hate, otherwise they will start hounding you multiple times a week to sign up again. That ***** at work I can't stand just can't figure out why she gets all those telemarketing calls from Comcast

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Putting on my tin foil hat here.. but Disney has a 67% ownership stake in Hulu and a small ownership stake in FubuTV. Don’t think it’s too unreasonable to say that Disney is the one playing hardball here with YouTube TV

That's anti competitive behavior and I'm certain the DOJ is already starting to look at this

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I was really interested in DTV stream earlier today, but by the time you get hit with the $85 monthly fee, $15-20 for the receivers, and $10 for cloud storage, it’s like we’re right back to the cable days.

Out of curiosity, what is the deal with needing these physical receivers? Do they not have apps like everyone else?

dalmuti

Jun 5, 2019
please enjoy all the finest content the Walt Disney Television family has to offer this holiday season

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
Out of curiosity, what is the deal with needing these physical receivers? Do they not have apps like everyone else?

You don't have to use DTVs streaming device. You can stream on your on device using their App

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Well, if someone is a slave to the TV and has to have all these particular packages to get all these specific channel, why shouldn't they expect to be paying about the same as cable for the same thing? It's all and only about the choices one makes

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
Let's just hope one day that both Google and Disney start to turn a profit so we don't have to worry about their periodic catfights.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
I doubt that the DOJ cares. There seems to be no interest in using anti-trust legislation to benefit consumers and the incredible money used to lobby our government and the revolving door between government and industry means consumers are at the mercy to a large degree on what massive corporations do. Consolidations and mergers are celebrated on Wall Street. Disney just needs to announce some new new diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives and they'd be adored by half the country. Plus, one party is theoretically opposed to regulations on business and has elected leaders who just complain on twitter (that keeps the proles happy). Disney has power, a lot of it. So does Google but I'm not sure how profitable YouTube TV is for Google. We're not dealing with businessmen who mingle with the locals at the county fair. I'll likely switch to some other service if nothing's resolved in a few days, say bye to unlimited DVR (that's a pretty cool feature), and end up with something that gives me a bunch of channels I don't want just to have access to the few I actually watch.

MarkDallas

Aug 27, 2014
Yes the unlimited DVR is a great feature. I also read that a lot of the other streaming services won't let you skip commercials during playback. If so, that's a major problem for just switching to something else.

Independent George

Sep 21, 2014
Got tired of waiting on YTTV. Tried to upgrade my Hulu membership to include live tv but they are having issues processing plan upgrades right now. Just signed up for Fubo TV free trial. So far so good. UI for the Apple TV app is solid. Will see how it goes.

rezdawg

Jan 6, 2010
I paused my YTTV and got the Hulu Disney ESPN+ bundle. I prefer YTTV but what can you do?

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
Yeah YouTube needs to hurry up and get this figured out. Started my 7 day Hulu trial and not a fan of their guide. Guess I am just used to youtubetv

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login