Eugene "Mercury" Morris RIP

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
RIP Mercury Morris - one of my favorite players from my favorite NFL team.

Ended up at West Texas State, if memory serves.

Joe had the Charlie Pittman fella, and he was allright. Might turn into something if he keeps his head on straight.

Nits74

Oct 19, 2021
Another PA (Avonworth HS) recruit that Joe missed on. ;)
Didn't initially catch in Bob's post that you had started a thread. I Know your Joe reference is tongue in cheek, but Eugene's recruitment to West Texas was an interesting side story. The actual facts my be different, but If I recall correctly their staff was watching film of a player with another school (New Brighton?) when they were wowed by a running back from the opposing team (Avonworth). In those days, and for many years after, the Avonworth program was pretty much in the dumps. Anyway, he was offered a scholarship and off he went to begin what was more than just a successful career.

• Love
Reactions: step.eng69

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021
Another PA (Avonworth HS) recruit that Joe missed on. ;)

Didn't initially catch in Bob's post that you had started a thread. I Know your Joe reference is tongue in cheek, but Eugene's recruitment to West Texas was an interesting side story. The actual facts my be different, but If I recall correctly their staff was watching film of a player with another school (New Brighton?) when they were wowed by a running back from the opposing team (Avonworth). In those days, and for many years after, the Avonworth program was pretty much in the dumps. Anyway, he was offered a scholarship and off he went to begin what was more than just a successful career.
I like Nitts74 summery of MM......

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
When you mention New Brighton, the name that immediately comes to mind is Po James, another PA recruit that Joe missed, but he was 2-3 years behind Morris.

And you are correct, my reference to Joe missing on a recruit was TIC. Back in those days, PA, particularly western PA, was so loaded with talent that its kids were everywhere. Alas, no more.

Last edited:

Latest posts