Eye Opening Article- It’s pretty clear Sandusky is most likely Innocent

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Interesting. So Spanier had no say in the matter? Then why did he promise it to Sandusky before Erickson granted it? Is the President not the boss of the provost? Something doesn’t add up. Sounds like maybe the leadership at PSU was a** backwards BEFORE the scandal, not just since which seems to be a daily discussion on here.
Spanier certainly had say. As President, he could grant emeritus status without the provost signing off on it, or he could override

Reactions: LB99

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Spanier certainly had say. As President, he could grant emeritus status without the provost signing off on it, or he could override
Thanks. This is my point. Spanier ok’d it one way or another.

Corneliuswonder

Nov 1, 2021
I’m sorry. I have to think that both Spanier and Curley knew Sandusky had access to the PSU facilities. I’m not buying that it all fell on Erickson as provost.
Access to PSU facilities - specifically, the East Area Locker Room complex - was specifically negotiated into Sandusky’s retirement agreement that was both negotiated and signed off on by both Curley and Spanier. Sandusky requested an office in the East Area Locker Room, which at the time was the football building, and Curley approved it. So not only were they aware of his access to the football facilities, they’re the ones who approved it. Erickson had zero to do with Sandusky’s retirement negotiation.

Lasch didn’t exist when the retirement was negotiated, but I suspect that his football building access simply carried over to the new facility.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Thanks. This is my point. Spanier ok’d it one way or another.
Don't think anyone was concerned about Jerry's predilections. Seems that they were worried about what other faculty would think about Jerry getting emeritus status, which is typical in academia.

• Wow
Reactions: step.eng69

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Don't think anyone was concerned about Jerry's predilections. Seems that they were worried about what other faculty would think about Jerry getting emeritus status, which is typical in academia.
So, then why did they grant it? And if Joe was against it, as is the rumor, why? Was he concerned about how it would look to academia?

Last edited:

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Access to PSU facilities - specifically, the East Area Locker Room complex - was specifically negotiated into Sandusky’s retirement agreement that was both negotiated and signed off on by both Curley and Spanier. Sandusky requested an office in the East Area Locker Room, which at the time was the football building, and Curley approved it. So not only were they aware of his access to the football facilities, they’re the ones who approved it. Erickson had zero to do with Sandusky’s retirement negotiation.

Lasch didn’t exist when the retirement was negotiated, but I suspect that his football building access simply carried over to the new facility.
Thank you. So, then. Can a few on here put to rest the notion that Erickson approved it and it was his mistake? It was a shared blunder of bad judgement.

Last edited:

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
So, then why did they grant it?
No idea. You'd have to ask Spanier. If I had to guess it would be that some influential alums twisted his arm a bit.

Pointless argument in any case. No one involved in the discussion ever thought that Jerry would be cornholing kids in the showers on campus.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
No idea. You'd have to ask Spanier. If I had to guess it would be that some influential alums twisted his arm a bit.

Pointless argument in any case. No one involved in the discussion ever thought that Jerry would be cornholing kids in the showers on campus.
I agree. For the record, I think you and I are aligned somewhat on this topic. I only asked these questions because some like to solely blame Erickson for allowing Sandusky to lurk on campus after his retirement. Did Joe ever say why he was against it?

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
I agree. For the record, I think you and I are aligned somewhat on this topic. I only asked these questions because some like to solely blame Erickson for allowing Sandusky to lurk on campus after his retirement. Did Joe ever say why he was against it?
Joe was concerned about "liability." Again, if I had to guess it would be more along the lines that kids Jerry brought to campus might get hurt in an accident and PSU might be liable. If anyone thought the Jerry was a pedophile, there would have been no discussion.

Here's an analogy. Joe Smith is a distinguished professor of Polar Languages. Has taught at Jerkwater U. for 45 years. By all accounts an upstanding citizen. It's an automatic that he's granted emeritus status and an office at Jerkwater.

Five years after his retirement, it's discovered that Smith has been running a major drug dealing ring out of his office for three years. Should Jerkwater be blamed for giving him the office five years hence or not discovering what he was doing for the last three?

That Sandusky emeritus decision is only an issue because Freeh and his band of idiots wrote about it.

And for the record, Erickson is still a pile of dung.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Joe was concerned about "liability." Again, if I had to guess it would be more along the lines that kids Jerry brought to campus might get hurt in an accident and PSU might be liable. If anyone thought the Jerry was a pedophile, there would have been no discussion.

Here's an analogy. Joe Smith is a distinguished professor of Polar Languages. Has taught at Jerkwater U. for 45 years. By all accounts an upstanding citizen. It's an automatic that he's granted emeritus status and an office at Jerkwater.

Five years after his retirement, it's discovered that Smith has been running a major drug dealing ring out of his office for three years. Should Jerkwater be blamed for giving him the office five years hence or not discovering what he was doing for the last three?

That Sandusky emeritus decision is only an issue because Freeh and his band of idiots wrote about it.

But, Sandusky wasn’t a distinguished professor. He was an assistant football coach and this wasn’t normal. Was Sandusky forced out or did he retire? Why did he ask for emeritus? He continued to coach at Juniata and , I think, maybe he volunteer coached at a HS? Doesn’t seem like a guy that lost the itch to coach. If he was forced out, the granting of access to the facilities seems even more egregious.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
But, Sandusky wasn’t a distinguished professor. He was an assistant football coach and this wasn’t normal.
Sandusky was an assistant professor of something or other dating back into the Seventies. That wasn't uncommon in those days. He was never granted tenure. Typically, un-tenured assistant professors are not given emeritus status. Jerry wanted a title on his retirement, hence the discussion.

Reactions: step.eng69 and LB99

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021

What if Smith had been investigated for running a drug dealing ring out of his office but not charged a year before his retirement?

Reactions: ApexLion and LB99

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
What if Smith had been investigated for running a drug dealing ring out of his office but not charged a year before his retirement?
Yes. Exactly. Thank you. Wasn’t Sandusky interviewed in 1998 by campus police for allegedly showering with underage boys? Wasn’t he told by campus police not to do so? Are we to believe that the administrators that granted him emeritus didn’t know that? My question remains: Why did he get emeritus status?

Last edited:

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Why not? Not uncommon for people who work with children to become suspect of pedophilia and nothing to come of it. Not everyone is Wlat Harris who had 50/50 hindsight.

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
Why not? Not uncommon for people who work with children to become suspect of pedophilia and nothing to come of it. Not everyone is Wlat Harris who had 50/50 hindsight.
Certainly would be a risky thing to do.
He was eventually charged and convicted for that incident as it turned out.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
True. But if I’m the one in charge of granting that emeritus status and access to university facilities to someone who was just questioned for inappropriate behavior with a minor on school property, I’m having major reservations about it. Especially when the guy (Paterno) who worked the most closely with him for the last 20 + years is (supposedly) against it. You aren’t?

Last edited:
Reactions: Connorpozlee

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Certainly would be a risky thing to do.
He was eventually charged and convicted for that incident as it turned out.

True. But if I’m the one in charge of granting that emeritus status and access to university facilities to someone who was just questioned for inappropriate behavior with a minor on school property, I’m having major reservations about it. You aren’t?
As I said, hindsight is 50/50. Easy to rationalize those positions in 2011 or onward. In 1999. I have no idea what decision I might have made in 1999, but I can see how Spanier et al made the ones they did (and I despise Spanier, with my antipathy going back before 2011).

Corneliuswonder

Nov 1, 2021
That’s where strong, competent leadership would have said, “we’re not saying you did anything wrong, Jerry…but you need to understand why we can’t allow you to have unfettered, all-hours access to the facility in your retirement.”

I think the most charitable thing you can say about Curley, Schultz and Spanier was that they were passive. But passivity got Penn State where it did, because Jerry took advantage of that passivity to basically have free rein of the facilities to continue soaping up after hours. It should have been screamingly obvious that, whether it was CSA or something totally innocent (hint: turns out it was CSA), bringing kids to the facilities alone after hours opens the university up to an extreme risk of a claim by a kid or their families who might become freaked out by the practice. It was a nightmare waiting to happen, and it happened because Curley and Spanier didn’t feel inclined to say no.

Reactions: Connorpozlee

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
I don’t know about that. It happened at his place of work and Sandusky was affiliated with the university. He had an office and open access to the facilities, didn’t he?
He wasn’t affiliated or paid by the school at that time.

IBeBlockin

Dec 28, 2022
Last edited:
Reactions: fairgambit

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
That’s where strong, competent leadership would have said, “we’re not saying you did anything wrong, Jerry…but you need to understand why we can’t allow you to have unfettered, all-hours access to the facility in your retirement.”

I think the most charitable thing you can say about Curley, Schultz and Spanier was that they were passive. But passivity got Penn State where it did, because Jerry took advantage of that passivity to basically have free rein of the facilities to continue soaping up after hours. It should have been screamingly obvious that, whether it was CSA or something totally innocent (hint: turns out it was CSA), bringing kids to the facilities alone after hours opens the university up to an extreme risk of a claim by a kid or their families who might become freaked out by the practice. It was a nightmare waiting to happen, and it happened because Curley and Spanier didn’t feel inclined to say no.
Yeah, 50/50.Curley and Schultz are out of the equation. Spanier made the decision to grant the Grinning Baboon privileges in retirement beyond his station. Why? Ask him.

Reactions: step.eng69

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Another article picking on Barry’s commentary.

Parlato is a turd. NXIVM has run its course and he needs another subject to get clicks.

Reactions: step.eng69 and LB99

Mufasa94

Oct 12, 2021
… Look, I understand everyone wants to blame the people who were left standing after the sh*t hit the fan…
It’s that there are a specific handful of those that were “left standing” that made an effort to have the blame placed on those that ended up receiving it.

They have the ire of the majority of the so called everyone.

There was also a larger group that seemed to just go along with things as long as they were kept out of it.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
I am certain that he did not receive a fair trial to judge his innocence or guilt
That’s a fair point, but the OP posted an article saying he was innocent. Do you think he is 100% innocent?

Maybe the next time Ziegler pens one of his conspiracy theory articles proclaiming Jerry’s innocence, someone could ask him if he would be comfortable letting his kids or grandkids have an unsupervised overnight stay with Uncle Jer?

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
It’s that there are a specific handful of those that were “left standing” that made an effort to have the blame placed on those that ended up receiving it.

They have the ire of the majority of the so called everyone.

There was also a larger group that seemed to just go along with things as long as they were kept out of it.
The blame earlier for emeritus status for Jerry was put on Erickson. Spanier and Curley agreed to it as well. I think we can stop pretending that Spanier and Curley were victims.

OuiRPSU

Oct 6, 2021
I know nothing about the responsibilities that go with these titles. Somebody else in here surely will.
Ultimately, it all lies at the feet of those with the most authority. Looks like Spanier promised it so he bears responsibility for it. But Erickson apparently signed off on it, so he absolutely also bears responsibility for it.
The Provost is typically in charge of the academic side of the university and has little say in day-to-day management decisions.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Another article picking on Barry’s commentary.

Clickbait to get some riled up.

Mufasa94

Oct 12, 2021
The blame earlier for emeritus status for Jerry was put on Erickson.
The statement of yours I replied to utilized the people left standing. That is not a singular Erickson emeritus status issue.

saturdaysarebetter

Jun 28, 2018
The blame earlier for emeritus status for Jerry was put on Erickson. Spanier and Curley agreed to it as well. I think we can stop pretending that Spanier and Curley were victims.
I recall it being Erickson being directed by the BOT to grant Sandusky emeritus status.
From: https://www.lehighvalleylive.com/sports/2013/07/how_has_penn_state_president_r.html

Even though Erickson was a newly appointed provost at the time and was just going along with then President
Graham Spanier's promise, he did go ahead and approve the request to grant Sandusky emeritus status.

From: https://www.statecollege.com/articl...ow-jerry-sandusky-was-a-pedophile-since-1998/

August 1999
University officials agreed to give Sandusky Emeritus Rank. Provost Rodney Erickson signed off granting Sandusky Emeritus Status. (pp. 60-61)

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
I recall it being Erickson being directed by the BOT to grant Sandusky emeritus status.
From: https://www.lehighvalleylive.com/sports/2013/07/how_has_penn_state_president_r.html

Even though Erickson was a newly appointed provost at the time and was just going along with then President
Graham Spanier's promise, he did go ahead and approve the request to grant Sandusky emeritus status.

From: https://www.statecollege.com/articl...ow-jerry-sandusky-was-a-pedophile-since-1998/

August 1999
University officials agreed to give Sandusky Emeritus Rank. Provost Rodney Erickson signed off granting Sandusky Emeritus Status. (pp. 60-61)
Spanier has no culpability? When you were looking up those articles, did you not find the reports that emeritus was promised to Sandusky by Spanier when Sandusky requested it?

Last edited:

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
The statement of yours I replied to utilized the people left standing. That is not a singular Erickson emeritus status issue.
Correct. And I was responding to a few posts blaming Erickson for the emeritus status. I think we’ve established that emeritus status was granted with the approval of Spanier, Erickson, and Curley. It appears to be a shared decision and a very poor one at that. Imagine how the story may have changed had Sandusky not had access to PSU facilities.

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021
Rodless was VP and as was his habit he did as he was told. The push to grant Jerry emeritus status came from the BOT.
From a liability status, having unaffiliated people use your facilities is an unnecessary risk. To Joe, it was just that plus a distraction...which he hated. What everyone seems to forget, is the respect Jerry enjoyed pre scandal.
The likely scenario on the day in question...Jerry had a job interview at U of V and Alan tagged along. He was living with Jerry and Dottie. They worked out and showered after. MM hit a few haunts, stumbled into the building and was freaked out. Called Dad babbling over the phone. Dad said come home. No one wanted to have the cops see MM that way...so see Joe tomorrow. MM woke up and thought better about going to Joe with reporting sounds, as even MM can't see around corners. Many weeks later, looking for a job and knowing that his Dad was going to see GS, Mike stopped by to speak with Joe. It was a very brief conversation, per Sue.

Corneliuswonder

Nov 1, 2021
Rodless was VP and as was his habit he did as he was told. The push to grant Jerry emeritus status came from the BOT.
From a liability status, having unaffiliated people use your facilities is an unnecessary risk. To Joe, it was just that plus a distraction...which he hated. What everyone seems to forget, is the respect Jerry enjoyed pre scandal.
The likely scenario on the day in question...Jerry had a job interview at U of V and Alan tagged along. He was living with Jerry and Dottie. They worked out and showered after. MM hit a few haunts, stumbled into the building and was freaked out. Called Dad babbling over the phone. Dad said come home. No one wanted to have the cops see MM that way...so see Joe tomorrow. MM woke up and thought better about going to Joe with reporting sounds, as even MM can't see around corners. Many weeks later, looking for a job and knowing that his Dad was going to see GS, Mike stopped by to speak with Joe. It was a very brief conversation, per Sue.
There is zero, zero evidence that Sandusky’s emeritus status emerged from the Board of Trustees. You can review the evidence for yourself. It’s all in the Freeh Report.

Exhibit 2G is an undated typewritten list titled “Retirement Requests,” presumably from Sandusky. It contains Paterno’s handwritten notations. Item 1 reads, “An office and telephone,” with the handwritten notation “OK.” Item 5 reads, “Access to training and workout facilities.” There’s a checkmark next to it, with a notation that reads “Is this for personal use or 2nd Mile kids - no to 2nd Mile liability purposes.”

Exhibit 3H is a letter addressed to Jerry from Tim Curley, and is also signed by Gary Schultz, dated June 29, 1999, entitled “Retirement Perquisites.” Item 4 reads, “The University will permit you to use, at no charge, a locker, weight rooms, fitness facilities and training room in the East Area locker room complex. This benefit will continue for the balance of your lifetime.” Item 6 reads, “For a period of ten (10) years, commencing July 1, 1999, and subject to renewal upon concurrence of both parties, you will be given an office and a phone in the East Area locker room complex for purposes of the [collaborative positive outreach arrangement between Penn State Athletics and the Second Mile] referenced in no. 5 above.”

Exhibit 3I is a string of emails between Bob Secor and Rodney Erickson, circa August 1999. Bob Secor writes to Erickson, in part, “but we are in a bind. Apparently, Graham told [redacted - presumably Jerry] that we would do this - he was wholly within his rights here since the policy says ‘The President may grant or deny Emeritus Rank on an exception basis’ - then informed Tim, who suggested going through the college and went to Barbara, who then made the request of us. …” Erickson writes back, “Let’s go ahead and grant it if Graham has already promised it. We can hope that not too many others take that careful notice. These requests would have to come through the deans in any case, and I can’t imagine many deans lobbying for assistant professors.”

But, crucially, Jerry’s access to football facilities - both the office AND the weight room/locker rooms, was granted by Curley and signed off on by Schultz (no doubt with Spanier’s approval) more than a month before any of the emeritus stuff played out with the provost’s office.

Corneliuswonder

Nov 1, 2021
That’s a fair point, but the OP posted an article saying he was innocent. Do you think he is 100% innocent?

Maybe the next time Ziegler pens one of his conspiracy theory articles proclaiming Jerry’s innocence, someone could ask him if he would be comfortable letting his kids or grandkids have an unsupervised overnight stay with Uncle Jer?
I’m sure that Zig’s kids would be okay just like Joe’s grandkids were okay. Jerry’s victims all fit a very specific profile - kids with working single moms in low income families that Jerry met and targeted through The Second Mile’s outreach events and camps for kids from low income, largely single mother households.

Reactions: G3624