Fast charging EV station in Starkville

3000lbchicken

May 1, 2006
We have free charging stations on campus. Most are blocked by the same ******** every day all day. I seent it, so don't even.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
It's funny seeing dudes from the South triggered by a battery powered car like it's insulting their deadbeat great grandfathers in their graves. While not using a gas powered cell phone and TV remote. Need to put a sign in the front yard saying "no devil's batteries allowed here"

3000lbchicken

May 1, 2006
It's funny seeing dudes from the South triggered by a battery powered car like it's insulting their deadbeat great grandfathers in their graves. While not using a gas powered cell phone and TV remote. Need to put a sign in the front yard saying "no devil's batteries allowed here"
No, not it at all. It is, however, triggering to see greedy phucks get free power, hording it blocking the other ev's, and the same time virtue signaling like you are at this very moment.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Sassy Tyra Banks GIF

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
No, not it at all. It is, however, triggering to see greedy phucks get free power, hording it blocking the other ev's, and the same time virtue signaling like you are at this very moment.
Not virtue signaling dude. I know all phones and car batteries are not all that. It's nice never going to a gas station and not paying for fuel. If it ran on rain water I wouldn't care. Same thing.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Power Charging GIF by Pudgy Penguins

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I've been watching that one and this is the 1st time I've seen it being used since it opened. Not sure if the one behind Starkville Cafe is still there but only saw it used once, ever. Kroger had 1 for awhile and got rid of it. There's 2 behind Rice Hall and I saw a Porsche SUV in the summer using it some and Ive see a Tesla there lately but otherwise it's used mostly by big F150's that obviously aren't E vehicles or the Tesla for as long as they want to leave it there

Last edited:

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Nation wide handful of charging stations built out while Dementia Joe and Pete Buttggigg mandate EVs. Sounds smart

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
Let's compare battery replacement
The Uber driver that shuttled us recently in Durham had an old Toyota Prius hybrid with 650K+ plus miles. He said he’s spent about $600 on some sort of battery components replacement. I’m too lazy to run any numbers, but I think it’s safe to say that he’s enjoyed some damn efficient automobile transportation.

Jul 10, 2009
I used this a couple of weeks ago, and it's long overdue for Starkville. While it is not a Tesla Supercharger, it keeps me from having to "plan" for car charging during my up/back trips from the Coast.

ETA: No reason to politicize this, or criticize another consumer's choice of transportation. There are pros/cons for every choice of vehicle. The Golden Triangle area is greatly underserved for those who drive EVs. This charger is at doing some part to fill a consumer need.

FWIW: I'm a lifelong conservative, which might seem atypical. The two EVs we own fit best for us. If a 2001 Ford Excursion with the 7.3 Powerstroke fit us best, we'd own one of those. If those so militant about transportation choices (as with so many other issues) would quit carrying political footballs for Washington, and just talk to their neighbors who do something different, a lot more would be understood.

Last edited:

AttalaDawg72

Jul 8, 2024
Why are you gay?

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
I used this a couple of weeks ago, and it's long overdue for Starkville. While it is not a Tesla Supercharger, it keeps me from having to "plan" for car charging during my up/back trips from the Coast.

ETA: No reason to politicize this, or criticize another consumer's choice of transportation. There are pros/cons for every choice of vehicle. The Golden Triangle area is greatly underserved for those who drive EVs. This charger is at doing some part to fill a consumer need.

FWIW: I'm a lifelong conservative, which might seem atypical. The two EVs we own fit best for us. If a 2001 Ford Excursion with the 7.3 Powerstroke fit us best, we'd own one of those. If those so militant about transportation choices (as with so many other issues) would quit carrying political footballs for Washington, and just talk to their neighbors who do something different, a lot more would be understood.
No need to defend yourself. You made an adult decision best for you. The people that make fun of EVs probably drive heavy duty trucks for their daily commuter for image purposes only (rural 5 series), don't actually use them for towing/hauling, and ***** about fuel prices when they could easily have avoided a 12 mpg vehicle.

Reactions: Hot Rock

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Let's compare battery replacement
Ok, my car has a free ten year warranty on its batteries. How many $200 batteries you going to buy in that time.

Last I checked about 4% of these EV batteries do fail early but the majority are free to owner as they are under warranty.
Then there is this part… many are still going strong after a decade and hundreds of thousands of miles.
This replacing battery fear can happen but so can transmissions, aluminum blocks get too hot, timing belt breaks and destroys engines, all of which cost big $$$. EVs have none of that to go wrong. Electric motors last forever compared to an ICE.
I have totaled 3 ICE in my life due to major repairs required. I am sure it will happen to my EV eventually. In the meantime, I saving tons.

ICE cars have over 2,000 moving parts and an EV? 200. It’s a no brainer to me which one is more reliable.

Reactions: MSUDAWGFAN

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
My EV is just over 2 years old and I have roughly 92,000 miles on it. In that time I have seen virtually no degradation of the battery

I have used this charger twice. Once was yesterday. Columbus has two chargers at their electric department also.

But the larger question after reading this thread is why must we criticize each other's decision to buy something as long as it isn't illegal or something? I love my car, but if someone says they don't want an EV, that's their decision. If someone does that's their decision also.

I will also say that there is a lot of incorrect information about EVs. I see it all the time. When mine was on the way, someone who was leaving the company told me he hoped it didn't catch on fire, yet the frequency of EVs catching on fire is significantly lower than an ICE car. That's just our example. Also, the longevity of the life of the big battery. They will last much longer than most people seem to think.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Is it a mere coincidence that the EVophobes are stuck in perpetual adolescence?

Terrified of being different and made fun of... Wait for it. Wait for it... They make fun of people for bring different.

I guess some people really never leave junior high

Reactions: Hot Rock

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Is it a mere coincidence that the EVophobes are stuck in perpetual adolescence?

Terrified of being different and made fun of... Wait for it. Wait for it... They make fun of people for bring different.

I guess some people really never leave junior high
I won’t make fun of you for driving an EV. I’ll make fun of you for your spelling.***

I don’t have a problem with EVs myself but I don’t think a lot of people have a problem with those people who think they’re saving the earth and global warming by going EV. Those people are just as obnoxious as vegans. They really do not help their cause out.

Would I own one? Sure, but I’d still be nervous about it. I feel it’s still fairly “new” tech that has some potential expensive downsides that I just don’t want to deal with.

I’m glad Starkville is putting those things out but I find it odd that they’re doing it for free. Or am I mistaken on that?

Jacknut

Sep 29, 2022
My friend across the street just bought a Tesla Model 3 to keep the miles off his Raptor and to save gas as he goes to Jackson, TN a lot. He took me for a ride and I was very impressed. We were on the highway and he stomped it - the acceleration is unreal. Then he turns on the self driving and it proceeds to take us back to the house - navigating off ramps, stop lights, using the turn signals (lol, in Memphis). I have a vehicle purchase looming and while an EV is not on the list for this round, it will be for the next.

patdog

May 28, 2007
No most days I pay zero dollars for fuel, solar charged at home in my garage.

Let's compare fuel bills Bluto. If you can math.
It still ain’t free. Or even cost efficient. I’ve done the math on home solar power. It just doesn’t work. Not even close.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
I won’t make fun of you for driving an EV. I’ll make fun of you for your spelling.***

I don’t have a problem with EVs myself but I don’t think a lot of people have a problem with those people who think they’re saving the earth and global warming by going EV. Those people are just as obnoxious as vegans. They really do not help their cause out.

Would I own one? Sure, but I’d still be nervous about it. I feel it’s still fairly “new” tech that has some potential expensive downsides that I just don’t want to deal with.

I’m glad Starkville is putting those things out but I find it odd that they’re doing it for free. Or am I mistaken on that?
I doubted it was free so I looked it up on my app. Only one fast charger in Starkville and its downtown and 42 cents a KWH, gas is just as cheap. I pay 10.87 cents per KWH at home by comparison.

I own an EV and I rarely charge anywhere but home or at a hotel of which so stay. I have said many times, do not buy an EV unless you are going to charge at home. Many hotels have complimentary charging but it is usually a 6-8 hour charge and only for paying guests. Some restaurants do as well along the interstate more so. The one in Starkville downtown takes about an hour depending your needs. Some chargers are must faster.

Reactions: patdog

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

gerald broflovski driving GIF by South Park

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
The Uber driver that shuttled us recently in Durham had an old Toyota Prius hybrid with 650K+ plus miles. He said he’s spent about $600 on some sort of battery components replacement. I’m too lazy to run any numbers, but I think it’s safe to say that he’s enjoyed some damn efficient automobile transportation.
And I can tell you two companies who got rid of all their electric fleet because batteries kept going bad within 3 years of purchase and it was close to $20K to replace them.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
Free advice: don't ever argue with people that **** on EVs. It's a complete waste of your time.

Remember the adage: Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
If you want an EV fine. It saves on gas and all that. Just don't use the reasoning it's better for the environment. All it's doing is transferring level of pollution here from an ICE to a third world country with their lithium mines. And that's not just EV's. It's phones and everything else with Li batteries. Lithium mines make coal strip mines look like virgin rainforests.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
There's enough data out there to let everyone know whether or not an e-vehicle is worth it for them. I found Car and Drivers long Term Tesla Model 3 review to be incredibly insightful, and truth be told I still drive a IC vehicle but after some improvements I am seriously considering at least a hybrid next go around:

Updated April 2022:

An electric vehicle's efficiency varies dramatically with outside temperature (internal-combustion efficiency also varies but to a much smaller degree). For example, in our best month, August 2020, we averaged 107 MPGe over 1812 miles. Our worst was February 2021, when we averaged 55 MPGe, almost 50 percent worse, over 1182 miles. The difference? The average temperature in February was 27 degrees, while in August it was a balmy 79. Cold temperatures obviously work the cabin heater more and also make charging less efficient. Even parking outside in wintry weather uses energy to keep the pack from getting too frigid. On one bitterly cold night when the mercury dipped down to 5 below zero, the Model 3 consumed 5 percent of its battery capacity just sitting overnight trying not to freeze.

Filling the Model 3 from completely empty to full sometimes cost as little as $12. It also could cost as much as $32. The difference boils down to whether we were using cheaper electricity to slowly charge at home or the office, or charging faster at one of Tesla's Superchargers. How much you plan to fast-charge makes a huge impact on the economics of EV ownership, and savings don't really materialize unless you have a regular Level 2 hookup at home (ideally, you have Level 2 capability at work too). For example, charging with home electricity during our most efficient month works out to a cost of just 4 cents per mile, while paying Supercharger prices during our least efficient month works out to 22 cents per mile. The former handily beats fueling up any gas-powered car, but the latter doesn't, even with the latest spike in prices at the pump. Our overall 83 MPGe average, achieved over a 57/43 percent split in favor of home charging (we expect most owners to do far more charging at home), equates to a cost of 8 cents per mile—on par with a car running on regular gas and getting 50 mpg.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login