Fat Man's Observation - King Cakes from Costco are good...

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Imma come on out with this take.......no offense to you Catholic guys, I respect your religion. But.....

I just ain't a fan of Mardi Gras, king cakes, New Orleans, etc. I'm not an anti-alcohol Baptist - I'm actually 2 steps from being a full fledged alcoholic myself, and I would really like weed to be legal, etc. And I like to party. I just don't get into whatever Mardi Gras is.

Am I the weird one?
You do understand the history of it in the religious sense, right? It's not part of the religious celebration, it is preparing for it. It's the last day of not being religious for the next 40 days. Not sure how many Catholics, which I am kinda one, celebrate the religious part any more. At least in the US.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Yep. We went with a few families a few years back and stayed in the Garden District and it was awesome. Never graced the quarter.
Yes it is a different vibe. Uptown is completely different than downtown or the quarter. Just like parades in Metairie, Slidell, Covington, mandeville, and West Bank are too. But it's really about the culture of it, traditions, and weeks of the carnival period not just "Mardi Gras" lots of other parties, balls, different functions with the office or friends. I get it. It's not for everyone. I know several that go on vacation to get away from it during week of actual Mardi Gras. It's celebrated in south Louisiana more than Christmas is. I know more folks that get more excited about Mardigras than any other holiday or season. Just a culture thing.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Where did you go and what did you do? Mardigras is more than just crowds in the quarter or downtown.part of the culture in between parades and other events. I would recommend checking out parades outside of downtown and looking into other events surrounding. It's kind of like going to games at the dude. Some folks don't really get the lounge but different experiences depending on what you do. Those just going and sitting at the game in the stands or berm not getting same experience.
I think I am just a mountain type of guy. Are all those pageants and shlt in Natchez part of it? Just not my vibe, never understood it.

And here’s a real freezing cold take, I don’t like a whole lot of NOLA food.

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog
Mar 3, 2008
Dong Phuong original is the best hands down. We currently have a Brennens, Sugarlove, and homemade on the counter now. The DP was gone in one day. You can get online and pre order them in Oct I think. It’s pretty amazing to go and see where they are actually made and get one too. Driving in the swap grad with gravel pits all around them you come up on this huge Vietnamese bakery and restaurant. Get a cake and some Pho. They’re both top notch.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I think I am just a mountain type of guy. Are all those pageants and shlt in Natchez part of it? Just not my vibe, never understood it.

And here’s a real freezing cold take, I don’t like a whole lot of NOLA food.
They do have that as part of of the krews with courts but also a lot of tailgating drinking food music chilling partying hanging out with friends parades.

man, each their own i guess

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
My Costco said "17 it". They didn't bother with king cake at all. Just came from there a dejected fat man.

• Haha
Reactions: dawgman42

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008
They do have that as part of of the krews with courts but also a lot of tailgating drinking food music chilling partying hanging out with friends parades.

man, each their own i guess
Born and raised in Natchez, though I don’t live there anymore. I always enjoyed going to the MG parades, but never got into all of the balls and everything else that was involved with it. Not my thing.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
I was working in New Orleans this week at lunch they had a King Cake tasting. Tartine’s was the favorite by most I spoke with which surprised me b/c I have never heard of them. I picked one up on my way out of town and it’s the best King Cake I’ve ever eaten.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I was working in New Orleans this week at lunch they had a King Cake tasting. Tartine’s was the favorite by most I spoke with which surprised me b/c I have never heard of them. I picked one up on my way out of town and it’s the best King Cake I’ve ever eaten.
They make good quiche

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I like any of them that will just lightly ice me one and leave that crunchy sugar stuff off of them but to just walk in and buy those with loads of icing and colored sugar makes me dry heave

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
That's not cold, that's absolute zero.
I get it. I hear all about the food but when I go to the restaurants, it’s decent, but just not my sort of thing. I actually like the sandwiches best at the Butcher, and that’s not really NOLA food in the basic sense.

I certainly understand I’m a fish out of water with this opinion, especially around Jackson and South MS. And again, I respect the culture and all. A king cake is something I’ll eat if given to me (if cinnamon), but not a staple of which I order ahead of time every year.

Reactions: dorndawg

InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Jan 9, 2016
Trojanbulldog19 said:
Dong Phuong. If you have one you won't want another. Although manny Randazzos and camellia city Randazzos are close. Dough nguyener's and hi do are also on my list now over on the west bank. Tried those recently.

View attachment 522523View attachment 522524
"I get on the waitlist every time and never get one."

1st Mardi Gras season down here as a new resident. Was told Phuong sells out every morning by 9:30-10. It's a 25/30 minute ride over but I'll be there when they open the doors tomorrow.

Aug 23, 2012
Last edited:
Reactions: Guy From Gulfport

Curby

Aug 23, 2012
For those in the Gluckstadt area, the pecan praline one at Sullivans market is really good, because like some of you, I don't like the purple, green, and gold colored sugar, but they have those too.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
You do understand the history of it in the religious sense, right? It's not part of the religious celebration, it is preparing for it. It's the last day of not being religious for the next 40 days. Not sure how many Catholics, which I am kinda one, celebrate the religious part any more. At least in the US.
It’s the last day before fasting. Not not being religious. Who ever heard of drinking and feasting being not religious other than Baptists?

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
"I get on the waitlist every time and never get one."

1st Mardi Gras season down here as a new resident. Was told Phuong sells out every morning by 9:30-10. It's a 25/30 minute ride over but I'll be there when they open the doors tomorrow.
Go to urban south at 11 am every day but Tuesday. Or you can go to bouree on Carrollton. I've had no trouble getting one last two weeks from reseller. They post resellers on their site. Snoball place in Kenner and zuppardos in Metairie have them. Couple places north shore and on the gulf coast.

Reactions: InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
King Cake=glorified dry-*** cinnamon roll with colorful icing and a choking hazard. But king cake lovers, carry on. No one ever heard of one in 98% of Mississippi pre 1999. Same goes for crawfish.
You sound like you've only seen a couple of versions of king cake. Most of the ones I buy aren't caked with icing. There also different types like ones that are brioche bread style or pastry style king cakes. You can order them some places without icing and sprinkles too

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
It’s the last day before fasting. Not not being religious. Who ever heard of drinking and feasting being not religious other than Baptists?
Starts kings day 12th day of Christmas. Jan 6. Ends 40 days before Easter for lent. Repenting period after the carnival period of partying/feasting before lent. Fish fry Fridays during lent. Mardigras or Fat Tuesday last chance to party before Ash Wednesday.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Jan 9, 2016
Go to urban south at 11 am every day but Tuesday. Or you can go to bouree on Carrollton. I've had no trouble getting one last two weeks from reseller. They post resellers on their site. Snoball place in Kenner and zuppardos in Metairie have them. Couple places north shore and on the gulf coast.
Appreciate the info. Wasn't thrilled with the idea of hanging out on Chef Menteur waiting on Dong to open the doors.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Appreciate the info. Wasn't thrilled with the idea of hanging out on Chef Menteur waiting on Dong to open the doors.
It's not too bad actually out that far. Like a little Vietnamese village in the swamp. Not sure what time bouree has them. I just know urban south is like a 11 and place in Slidell has them. Lot of places use their bread so they get cakes too. Zuppardos I think it's luck of the draw.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I haven't been around N.O. that but about a week before and that was crazy enough back then. It was fun Mobile another trip that week. I have a feeling that it's gotten too crazy for my blood.

Nawlins was much more fun to visit in late fall and spring after Lent. I always had a great time including my last trip with my wife a few years back. Stayed in the Quarter and did visit great restaurants and dives. Nothing like an easy stroll in the Quarter after dark.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
Starts kings day 12th day of Christmas. Jan 6. Ends 40 days before Easter for lent. Repenting period after the carnival period of partying/feasting before lent. Fish fry Fridays during lent. Mardigras or Fat Tuesday last chance to party before Ash Wednesday.
I'm not sure if you're trying to tell me it's a time of not being religious or not. I don't think we disagree. Lent is the long fast before Easter which is a feast day.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
You sound like you've only seen a couple of versions of king cake. Most of the ones I buy aren't caked with icing. There also different types like ones that are brioche bread style or pastry style king cakes. You can order them some places without icing and sprinkles to
I always open to a new experience. Those sound pretty great.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I'm not sure if you're trying to tell me it's a time of not being religious or not. I don't think we disagree. Lent is the long fast before Easter which is a feast day.
I think I misread your post but was trying to help those that don't seem to understand the tradition and the timing and the religious tie in to the season. That's all

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
It's only "not being religious" if you only consider fasting during lent as "being religious."

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
King Cake=glorified dry-*** cinnamon roll with colorful icing and a choking hazard. But king cake lovers, carry on. No one ever heard of one in 98% of Mississippi pre 1999. Same goes for crawfish.
I think it's just another Facebook moment for many Mississippians outside the Coast and a few other places. And obviously there are a ton of LA folks that have moved into the Sip, but I'm talking about the same ole same ole folks in Jackson and some other places.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
I think it's just another Facebook moment for many Mississippians outside the Coast and a few other places. And obviously there are a ton of LA folks that have moved into the Sip, but I'm talking about the same ole same ole folks in Jackson and some other places.
I think you're right.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
Why else would you fast during lent unless you are observing lent? Just for the fun of it?
I think you misunderstood. I mean that you can be religious other times other than fasting during lent. Feasting and having a good time is not irreligious is my point.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Why else would you fast during lent unless you are observing lent? Just for the fun of it?
I think you misunderstood. I mean that you can be religious other times other than fasting during lent. Feasting and having a good time is not irreligious is my point.
When I said that, I didn't mean for this to go off the religion deep end. Just observing the fact that Mardi Gras is directly tied to Catholicism. I am not a Catholic, but I do respect it, and reasonings behind Mardi Gras, Lent, etc. That's what I meant.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login