Fat Man's Observation - King Cakes from Costco are good...

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I think you misunderstood. I mean that you can be religious other times other than fasting during lent. Feasting and having a good time is not irreligious is my point.
I know not all but some "good times" are sinful. I am talking in the general sense such as flashing boobies i would put towards the sinful side. I was just pointing out Mardi Gras evolved into the big party before the actual religious action and is not part of the religious action. Throughout the world there are many parades that actually part of the religious observance and Mardi Gras is not that.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
When I said that, I didn't mean for this to go off the religion deep end. Just observing the fact that Mardi Gras is directly tied to Catholicism. I am not a Catholic, but I do respect it, and reasonings behind Mardi Gras, Lent, etc. That's what I meant.
I may have replied incompetently. I know. I was replying to Bulldog Bruce. Not intending the religious deep end either.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Appreciate the info. Wasn't thrilled with the idea of hanging out on Chef Menteur waiting on Dong to open the doors.
You'll have to let me know if you score one.
I think im gonna go get one from dough nguyners this week. They make a similar Parisian cake. Also, you can get a bunch of different ones from king cake drive through on Metairie road. Don't think they have DP though

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Why else would you fast during lent unless you are observing lent? Just for the fun of it?
Like many religions Baptist catholic whatever... tradition because mom and dad and grandpa and grandma always did it. Or traditional norms of culture. Folks get caught up in the every one else is doing around me or that's just the tradition/culture for that area. Other areas pick up on things because it's trendy. Especially in the social media age. Folks can be traditionally religious or trendy religious without actually being actually religious.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Like many religions Baptist catholic whatever... tradition because mom and dad and grandpa and grandma always did it. Or traditional norms of culture. Folks get caught up in the every one else is doing around me or that's just the tradition/culture for that area. Other areas pick up on things because it's trendy. Especially in the social media age. Folks can be traditionally religious or trendy religious without actually being actually religious.
Yeah and I know Jews who celebrate Christmas.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

the_marshall

Jan 31, 2019
Randazzo's all day long. Paul's Pastry has gone way downhill (or maybe they just weren't that good to begin with). Problem with Randazzo's is they have all these knockoff's using <insert first name here> Randazzo's, and it tarnishes the real ones.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Jan 9, 2016
You'll have to let me know if you score one.
I think im gonna go get one from dough nguyners this week. They make a similar Parisian cake. Also, you can get a bunch of different ones from king cake drive through on Metairie road. Don't think they have DP though
Saw on DP's website, that River Road Market sells their cakes. I'm 4 minutes from RRM. Called and was told that cakes come in TH & Sat and are sold by lottery. Ended up driving over to NOLA East Monday morning and picking up 3. A traditional, a cream cheese, and a coconut.

All very good (liter, creamier, and not as sweet as cheap cakes). Took traditional to work yesterday, cream cheese to work today and had a couple of bites of coconut tonight (saving it for trip back to MS this Friday)

I like the coconut cake best.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Saw on DP's website, that River Road Market sells their cakes. I'm 4 minutes from RRM. Called and was told that cakes come in TH & Sat and are sold by lottery. Ended up driving over to NOLA East Monday morning and picking up 3. A traditional, a cream cheese, and a coconut.

All very good (liter, creamier, and not as sweet as cheap cakes). Took traditional to work yesterday, cream cheese to work today and had a couple of bites of coconut tonight (saving it for trip back to MS this Friday)

I like the coconut cake best.
Glad we're you were able to get a few. What time did you get there and how long did you wait?

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
me and my son visit Costco on a Saturday around 1100 just to get a free lunch from all the samples.
The Ole Lady and I hit Costco yesterday. Although maybe slightly fewer in quantity, the quality was off the charts. Country Pleanin' sausage (possibly the greatest food known to mankind), chips and dip, small sammies, pizza and the options went on and on. Also had the unfortunate circumstance of needing something from Sam's. What a horrible place.

msugrad2003

Aug 27, 2013
The Ole Lady and I hit Costco yesterday. Although maybe slightly fewer in quantity, the quality was off the charts. Country Pleanin' sausage (possibly the greatest food known to mankind), chips and dip, small sammies, pizza and the options went on and on. Also had the unfortunate circumstance of needing something from Sam's. What a horrible place.
We probably crossed paths at Costco. It was a mad house. But they are efficient

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I got there about 9:15. Waited 10-15 minutes and they had 15-20 cakes left when I placed my order.
I drive by there at 8 last Friday. Line was all the way going down chef and cars parked down chef. I said nope. I went got one from my reseller I go to and only waited about 20 minutes or so

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login