FC: Fox College Football - Best Traditions…

nittanymoops

Oct 31, 2021
Well, it is Jenny Taft from Fox. They only do Friday nights. On Saturday, she's in bed by 8. No wonder Fox doesn't want to televise a whiteout.

CDLionFL

Oct 25, 2021
On sheer emotion, Army/Navy alma mater sing is #1. Those kids put so much on the line beyond the football field that you can just feel everything in their effort to win that game. The whole 'singing second' desire. The tears of joy on one end and that of disappointment on the other always makes it a little dusty in this house when that game ends.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Yes, the Iowa wave! One of college football’s, if not the entirety of the United States’ most enduring generational traditions of 7 years now.
Which means they’ve done it about 3x as many times as we’ve had Whiteouts. Why shouldn’t it belong on the list?

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Kids in the hospital seem to like it, and that’s the important thing.

Trashing or downplaying it reminds me of the idiots from other school that trash THON…sometimes, it’s ok to put rivalries aside for real world stuff.

THON actually does something. Besides, trashing iowa is always the right answer.

Reactions: Bison13 and CoachET

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
I have an issue with the Iowa wave at 2. Taking 2 minutes to wave at kids in the hospital doesn’t rectify your actions throughout the rest of the game.
That was my "issue" with all those listed. Nice parts or beginning but it's not the entire game.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Which means they’ve done it about 3x as many times as we’ve had Whiteouts. Why shouldn’t it belong on the list?
Dont' agree since we've been doing a Whiteout since 2004, but I will agree it's better than their typical boorish behavior of booing injured players.

Bob78

Oct 12, 2021
Ok, so 2.5 times as many
I understand what you're saying, and it truly is a wonderful show of support for the kids and families. However I'm guessing some people are reacting to the relatively short period of time it has been around, as opposed to the number of times it has been done. (And some just don't like Iowa because their fans are... well, head-scratching at times).

It's fine that it is included, but to a lifelong college football fan like me, longevity of traditions and their meaning to that school would call for a re-order of this ranking. That doesn't diminish it, just re-ranks it. Jenny's opinion wrt ranking them is fine. Yours and mine are just as worthy. I happen to really like *hi* State's dotting the "I", despite how I feel about the Buckeyes.

Someone who has had a child or a young loved one go through a serious health struggle would probably have a more intense feeling as to where this Iowa tradition would rank. Understandable.

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
Amount of times does not matter, considering it’s a game idea versus a yearly idea. All the more reason that the tradition of doing it once a year is more unique.

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
Army/navy, war eagle, Howard’s rock, dotting the I and playing in 1/4 filled stadiums (u know who) are all great traditions

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
The first 2 are completely overrated. Enter Sandman is good as an entrance but thats it. Most of those are nice or interesting parts but the White Out is the entire game. And yea I'm biased.

I had never heard of the michigan “tradition”. It must be borne out of their team being overrated over the years. “On the bright side…”

Reactions: LionJim
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login