FC/OT: RIP Pete Rose

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021
So many emotions on hearing about Rose’s passing. One thing that people forget is that he was signed as a free agent by the Phillies to a 4 year deal FOLLOWING his age 37 season. If memory serves me correctly, it was the richest FA signing in history and was done at an age when most players were well into their decline or already retired. The fact that he got a 4 year deal at the age he did and at the money he got was amazing and reflected the player he was.

Schmidt was well into his legendary career but Rose commanded all the attention. I always thought that Rose made Schmidt better just by running interference with the press. Schmidt was never comfortable with the press and Rose paid huge dividends by insulating Schmidt.

wbcbus

Oct 8, 2021
Just a reflection on the hypocrisy our society. I’m not advocating for his admission to Cooperstown. But it appears that there’s racists, wife beaters, drunkards, probably a couple child molesters and Lord knows what other miscreants are in there. I don’t believe he’d totally upset the pristine harmony of the place if they let him in. Hell, Pete can’t even lay a wager down on his chances after today.

Respectfully disagree. The success of sports as a business is dependent on one thing more than any other: that fans can trust what they're seeing on the field. Someone being a murderer does not affect that trust. Someone betting on the games does.

So while the crimes you list are clearly much more heinous, they don't bring the integrity of the game into question like gambling does. It is the line that cannot be crossed, or it can ruin sports entirely, so it must be met with the harshest of penalties.

I agree Tom. The hypocrisy of the MLB itself, as now you can watch a game and get at least a dozen commercials advertising gambling during the game. Then you have the A’s moving from Oakland….to Vegas. It’s just my opinion, and maybe it’s old fashioned thinking, but pro sports teams in Vegas feels like a conflict of interest.

There is no hypocrisy in saying fans who have no impact on the game can bet, while players who do impact the game cannot. The head of security at a weed distribution facility cannot be high on the job, and that is not a conflict.

saturdaysarebetter

Jun 28, 2018
Great baseball player, terrible person. I'm very glad he didn't live to see himself get inducted into the HOF nor should he be ever put in. Let him serve as an example for every baseball player that no matter how big you are, you're not bigger than the game and you're not to bet on baseball. If they can ban the all-time hits leader, they can ban anyone. His example could be his best legacy saving others from doing it.

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login