Feels like we should have heard something on Briles

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Plus I'm getting tired of listening to our " insiders" trying to get updated info and hearing them regurgitating old news. Hadad actually said this morning that we should know in the next day or so if Briles will or will not be our new OC. Thanks Cap'n Obvious

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
I wonder who Plan B is. I also wonder if the Arnett wants the Baylor style offense specifically, or if he's going after "Best Available" OC.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
If it doesn’t work out with Briles, Kevin Johns at Duke is another name that’s been tossed around. Worse case scenario is maybe you go bring Hatcher over from Samford?

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Plus I'm getting tired of listening to our " insiders" trying to get updated info and hearing them regurgitating old news. Hadad actually said this morning that we should know in the next day or so if Briles will or will not be our new OC. Thanks Cap'n Obvious
If someone is asked an Obvious Question, then an Obvious Answer is usually expected.

Talk radio ain't Perry Mason.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Wishful thinking, but every day that goes by is a day closer to Garrett Riley being available on Tuesday. We can pay him handsomely and if he comes in for one season with a ready to tweak offense that puts up significant points in the SEC in 2023, he'd probably land a top tier P5 job in 2024.

Wishful thinking key words.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Well what else is he supposed to say?

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I don’t necessarily think it’s over with Briles but do think there’s at least a decent chance he doesn’t come over. I feel like a lot of times these lengthy negotiations/bidding wars end with the coach staying where he is. So yeah, the longer it goes on, the more likely it is he stays.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I don’t necessarily think it’s over with Briles but do think there’s at least a decent chance he doesn’t come over. I feel like a lot of times these lengthy negotiations/bidding wars end with the coach staying where he is. So yeah, the longer it goes on, the more likely it is he stays.

I agree, and I also think both Briles and Jefferson coming together is and always has been a total pipe dream. With the low salaries we are paying Brock and Arnett, we can certainly afford to go above and beyond to get Briles with “on the books” money. But we absolutely in no way can compete with them in NIL or “off the books” money that they can throw down to keep Jefferson.

G-Dawg

Sep 6, 2012
Not sure if this is true or not, but hearing that his buyout from Arkansas goes down substantially after today, so they are waiting until tomorrow to save some $$.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Yeah. I'm not feeling good about this. Looks like a classic Sexton bait & switch.
My faith is <5%. We all love MSU and Starkville, but whenever I start to hear about a coach coming here for things like “full autonomy” and whatnot, I’ve pretty much given up at that point. They want money and prestige, and I just don’t see Briles leaving Ark to come here for an extra few hundred thousand. Why would the Hogs not match that? Hope I’m wrong

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Wishful thinking, but every day that goes by is a day closer to Garrett Riley being available on Tuesday. We can pay him handsomely and if he comes in for one season with a ready to tweak offense that puts up significant points in the SEC in 2023, he'd probably land a top tier P5 job in 2024.

Wishful thinking key words.
I get what you're trying to say here, but seeing how he's about to coach in the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP game........an argument can be made that he's already at a top tier P5 job.

I don't see how he gains anything by coming to State, assuming TCU can pay him in the same neighborhood, and they can, especially now.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
If someone is asked an Obvious Question, then an Obvious Answer is usually expected.

Talk radio ain't Perry Mason.
It's very similar tho. Both are entertainment shows. And that was the entertainment offered up. If you hear it announced he is coming. Otherwise he is not. Stay tuned for further breaking news

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I get what you're trying to say here, but seeing how he's about to coach in the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP game........an argument can be made that he's already at a top tier P5 job.

I don't see how he gains anything by coming to State, assuming TCU can pay him in the same neighborhood, and they can, especially now.
Same thought, no reason to come here after playing in a NC, he'll be employed somewhere else soon as a HC or OC of a larger school w/ lots of $$

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
Given this has been an ongoing story for 2 days on the MSU and ARK sites and no national writer has chimed in tells me that right now Sexton is playing the fiddle and playing the two sides off each other.

when one backs off we will get the “sources says Briles is negotiating a new contract with….” which gives the other side one last gasp to start the back and forth over again.

if Briles really cared about where he wanted to be we would have had this leak already. I get the feeling he views them as pretty equal and will take the best offer.

hopefully we win out

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
The one issue that nobody here seems to discuss for the obvious reason is that even though it may be a "lateral move" in our MSU minds, it's not. It's going to a smaller school with less money. Sure, MSU was the 3rd best SEC West team this season over 5th place Arky, but it is a downward move in terms of prestige/perception/national view/whatever/etc.
"Perception is reality" - Lee Atwater

• Haha
Reactions: TXDawg.sixpack

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Plus if you look at his history other than Baylor he never stays anywhere very long for some reason. Money I assume

Aug 22, 2012
I swear every fan on all of the major boards is really, really impatient. Just let it play out. I figured y'all would be used to getting the ol' rope-a-dope from a Jimmy Sexton client.

We know there is a deadline for Briles. We know there are backup plans in place. If we don't get him, we will find out, but until there is a definitive hire here or until Arkansas puts out a press release about his retention and raise then he is still in play.

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
The one issue that nobody here seems to discuss for the obvious reason is that even though it may be a "lateral move" in our MSU minds, it's not. It's going to a smaller school with less money. Sure, MSU was the 3rd best SEC West team this season over 5th place Arky, but it is a downward move in terms of prestige/perception/national view/whatever/etc.
"Perception is reality" - Lee Atwater
I don't know that this is true. I'd argue we've been just as if not more so nationally relevant as Arkansas in the last 20 years. In the last 20 years they've gone 126-122 at .508 and we've gone 118-123 at .490. We both had awful coaches that tanked a couple years during that stretch and we've both seen moderate success as well.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017

Sorry. I meant he could land a HEAD COACHING job at a top tier school. There were rumors about him going to A&M as OC or North Texas as a HC. Both of those would carry there own risks. We all know the national narrative is if you can have a little bit of success at State you are the second coming of Saban himself.

My thought is if he proved he can score points in the SEC, he could skip a HC job at a small power 5 or Group of 5 school (and all the risks of losing your heat by struggling for a few years at a small school) and land a top 20 type head coaching job immediately.

His brother was one of the few guys to get a top 10 program opportunity with no head coaching experience. I could definitely see a path where if he came into the SEC and put on a show for 1 year, a team like Oklahoma could be highly interested in Riley 2.0 in 2024 if Venables sucks again next year.

The advantages state has are:

1. There would be no shared credit with Dykes on offensive success.

2. With Arnette's low salary, you could make Riley the highest paid coordinator in the country (Currently Todd Monken at just over $2 million)

3. You have a system ready to go after 3 years of Leach.

4. You can prove it in the SEC.

Again its all wishful thinking, just trying to talk myself into it

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
Dude has less than 500 followers. He’s a nobody just trying to throw sh*t at the wall and get some internet cred if he’s right.
Like I said, could be BS. I told my brother I'd let him know if anything spurious popped up on Twitter and I figured I'd drop it here in rumors-encouraged land, too, with the disclaimer.

Bully1972

Jan 2, 2020
If it is him, it just feels like it should happen soon. Since I’ve posted this, I fully expect news to break in the next 10 minutes
You want to be looking for a dellenger, thamel, or mcmurphey tweet. Those guys usually break these things.
Are. you trying to imply that Earl from Bald Knob, AR is not a reliable source? Come on man!

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login