Food in Hattiesburg

1msucub

Oct 3, 2004
Before the day gets going with sports, y’all give me a good place to eat in Hattiesburg tonight. We usually eat once at Walk-On’s, which we just did, and we’ve been to Crescent City Grill and liked it. Y’all got similar places you’d recommend down here? It will just be my wife and I….my son will still be with the indoor percussion group.

On a side note…. if any of y’all are associated with South Jones high school, let me tip my hat to you. Y’all take really good care of our band kids when we come down here for competition. As a parent, I know how much time that takes and I really appreciate it.

AlSwearengen2

Nov 29, 2022
Italian-TaBella or Mario’s are both good.

I’m not big on seafood, but Halfshell and Crescent City are the best known. I will say that we have eaten at Pier 98 a couple times and it was really good. Again, I’m not an expert foodie on seafood.

If you like Mediterranean type food, Petra Cafe has been good since a true Mediterranean guy bought it awhile back.

Steak-alot of people like Sully’s-but we prefer Benson’s.

Mexican-who knows from week to week.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Before the day gets going with sports, y’all give me a good place to eat in Hattiesburg tonight. We usually eat once at Walk-On’s, which we just did, and we’ve been to Crescent City Grill and liked it. Y’all got similar places you’d recommend down here? It will just be my wife and I….my son will still be with the indoor percussion group.

On a side note…. if any of y’all are associated with South Jones high school, let me tip my hat to you. Y’all take really good care of our band kids when we come down here for competition. As a parent, I know how much time that takes and I really appreciate it.
Midtown Diner

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

Sully's. Good food and usually a hottie waitressing.

Reactions: goindhoo

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
You can’t go wrong with a Robert St. John place.
Haven’t been to Mack’s on the River in years but Mack’s West is good.
Hattiesburgers and Blues is good downtown
Keg & Barrel - original location and west - are good
Either Jutamas location is fantastic
Patio 44 is good
And of course, there’s Ward’s.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Italian-TaBella or Mario’s are both good.

I’m not big on seafood, but Halfshell and Crescent City are the best known. I will say that we have eaten at Pier 98 a couple times and it was really good. Again, I’m not an expert foodie on seafood.

If you like Mediterranean type food, Petra Cafe has been good since a true Mediterranean guy bought it awhile back.

Steak-alot of people like Sully’s-but we prefer Benson’s.

Mexican-who knows from week to week.
I forgot Pier 98 - very good seafood.

Petra is outstanding.

I still need to try Sully’s or Benson’s.

I need to check out Mario’s too.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Crescent City is the best restaurant in MS

but since you’ve been there I recommend these as a pine belt native who guys back just to eat
Keg and Barrel
Patio 44
Keg being my first choice. But if you want to get fat go to Ed’s

Mar 3, 2008
Compadres in the old Pizza Hut for tacos

If you want the best tacos in town and aren’t scared Edwards st by the new police station. Los tres amigos.

southbound has a awesome breakfast. But it’s small.
Mario’s best Italian
Steak - don & Ellie’s, Sullys, Patio
Sakura - still the best sushi
Don’t sleep on nellies. Chicken tenders and daiquiris.
St. John’s places are always solid.
jutamas five stars

1msucub

Oct 3, 2004
So the wife wanted steak, and we chose Benson’s. It was VERY good, and I don’t regret it at all. The BBQ shrimp appetizer was awesome, and both of our steaks were ridiculously tender and perfectly flavored.
Thank y’all for the recommendations….I’ve got a long list to choose from next time now.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Crescent City is the best restaurant in MS

but since you’ve been there I recommend these as a pine belt native who guys back just to eat
Keg and Barrel
Patio 44
Keg being my first choice. But if you want to get fat go to Ed’s
Concur, based on wide menu, price and history, I also nominate Crystal Grill in Greenwood and AJAX in Grenada, without the lake.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Ed's suuuuckkss! It's two little Pattie's for a high price.
Go to Mario's,go to Keg, go to Donanelle's avoid Ed's. Ed's isn't even as good a burger as Keg.

• Angry
Reactions: vhdawg and goindhoo

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
You can’t go wrong with a Robert St. John place.
Haven’t been to Mack’s on the River in years but Mack’s West is good.
Hattiesburgers and Blues is good downtown
Keg & Barrel - original location and west - are good
Either Jutamas location is fantastic
Patio 44 is good
And of course, there’s Ward’s.
These are good recommendations but keg and barrel should be first. Hattiesburg is a weird town food wise. Over abundance of pretty good to really good places but no great places to my knowledge. Keg and barrel and sullies and jutamas would be my recs. Tabellas if you don’t live some where with decent Italian.

Reactions: The Cooterpoot

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This board never disappoints regarding food.

Are we experts? I think we may be experts.
Be very careful. I've seen some good recs here but also seen a lot of the awful sheep takes. You have to wade through the crap to find the good things.

In this case, I'd go with @The Cooterpoot's advice.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
Is Ed’s good? Just taking a trip down there soon and was wondering. Obviously I tend to enjoy spicier food.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Is Ed’s good? Just taking a trip down there soon and was wondering. Obviously I tend to enjoy spicier food.
I’d recommend Jutamas to you.

Excellent Thai food.

There are two locations in Hattiesburg - the OG place on Timothy as well as in West Hattiesburg on 98.

They’re also in Ridgeland— excellent.

Edit to add— Ed’s is good. Very casual atmosphere. The last time I was there, I ate outside.

1msucub

Oct 3, 2004
So what IS the deal with Ward’s? There was one over in Olive Branch WAY back in the day for a very brief stint. Only thing I remember is drinking root beer out of a frozen mug. Are they a child of H’Burg?

Anon1666970421

Oct 28, 2022
Best real Mexican food in Hattiesburg is the Taco Shop and market off of Oak Grove road next to sidelines. I eat there often for lunch and it is best I've ever had. And one of the best bbq places in town and hasn't been mentioned yet is Murky waters bbq on hardy across from the zoo. Very good bbq. They have live music there too.

wpmusm

Dec 1, 2014
Gratefull Soul
Midtowner
Compadres
Triangle Seafood
Porter House
GoldPost
Keg & Barrel
Topher's (but just breakfast)

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.