For the Jackson metro people - Fenians is closing**

Mud84

Oct 14, 2012
I used to go there a decent amount when i was back home on Christmas/Summer Break from Starkville.

Quit going for a number of years until a buddy of mine and i got a wild hair and went. Much to our surprise it had turned into a gay bar.

Curby

Aug 23, 2012
Never been in the place.

I was a George St and Hal & Mal's guy

Curby

Aug 23, 2012
Jackson is losing many businesses

I have a Barrel House gift card that I didn't get to use. It closed down, I think, due to the failing city water issues.

Reactions: skydawg1

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
was it Christos Deli? i been trying to remember myself... they used to have a train on elevated tracks that ran around the bar area at the top of each hour... we used to go on Monday nights for Monday Night Football drink deals... i won a picture of beer one time... i think that s the only thing i have ever won in my life..
I thought that was Scrooge's? Maybe not? Or both? Damn you tickled a brain wrinkle that hasn't done a thing in 30 years.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
This is the correct opinion from the OG hater. You are excused.
Thank you I guess. I am curious to ask what did I say that was really hating? I mean the place was nasty. And maybe the food and service were better 10 to 15 years ago. But it went downhill on both fronts. I also do not completely buy that is just what happens to businesses in Jackson today. I mean this place deserved it given the nasty conditions plus the food and service falling off a cliff. Not to mention a restaurant right around the corner called Elvies is thriving.

Reactions: maroonmadman

skydawg1

Jul 31, 2007
Damn, the old Scrooge’s by the Rogue? That was such a cool building and setting. Jackson had so many cool spots back in the day.
Who remembers the bar on the top floor of Banner Hall? It didn't last long but it was a cool view.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Thank you I guess. I am curious to ask what did I say that was really hating? I mean the place was nasty. And maybe the food and service were better 10 to 15 years ago. But it went downhill on both fronts. I also do not completely buy that is just what happens to businesses in Jackson today. I mean this place deserved it given the nasty conditions plus the food and service falling off a cliff. Not to mention a restaurant right around the corner called Elvies is thriving.
You didn't. I made 2 bad jokes that didn't hit. Ah well.

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
I thought that was Scrooge's? Maybe not? Or both? Damn you tickled a brain wrinkle that hasn't done a thing in 30 years.
it was Christos... i called my friend who used to live down the road from there ,who i went with but has long since moved away and he said it was Christos Deli... but now you wondering about Scrooge's... i totally remember the name, just never went, and am having a hard time remembering where it was...

Reactions: ckDOG

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
it was Christos... i called my friend who used to live down the road from there ,who i went with but has long since moved away and he said it was Christos Deli... but now you wondering about Scrooge's... i totally remember the name, just never went, and am having a hard time remembering where it was...

Scrooge's is still open as of a few months back. They moved from their location above the Rouge clothing store (by Highland Village) years ago to Ridgewood Road south of County Line.

Food was always above average for that type of place and it was a fun spot in it's earlier days.

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
Scrooge's is still open as of a few months back. They moved from their location above the Rouge clothing store (by Highland Village) years ago to Ridgewood Road south of County Line.

Food was always above average for that type of place and it was a fun spot in it's earlier days.
that s where i remember it from, i used to actually go to the Rouge to get clothes in the mid 90's

Reactions: She Mate Me

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Barrel House was always a tweener of a bar/restaurant, imo. It was like they could never decide what they wanted to be, so they did neither great.
Exactly. That was their mistake. When it first opened they didn’t even have a single TV despite an enormous bar space. Just a wierd approach from the start.

Last edited:
Reactions: Studentdawg06

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Okay. I guess I’ll elect to dance with the Devil in the pale moonlight.

Here’s my perspective concerning your thoughts: Given that I’ve eaten at Fenian’s about 4 times over the past year and have really liked what I ordered, I’m curious as to when the last time you’ve been there.

You come across to me in this thread as being fairly ignorant of Fenian’s as it’s been in the past few years considering reactions of others are different.

I’m not saying that there haven’t been down years. My impression is that you gave up on it in the down years and never came back.

And that surprises me when considering your previously stated love of South Jackson Barbecue as it seems that the Devil seems to have an appreciation for the unappreciated places that are ignored by others.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Barrel House was always a tweener of a bar/restaurant, imo. It was like they could never decide what they wanted to be, so they did neither great.

Exactly. That was their mistake. When it first opened they didn’t even have a single TV despite an enormous bar space. Just a wierd approach from the start.

Barrelhouse’s approach was intentionally different. It tried to be a very good gastropub with very good food and beverages and did not want to copy Fondren Public.

I went to Barrelhouse pretty often. I loved the beer selections and was known to have some tuna poke nachos before seeing a show at Duling.

They just couldn’t thread the needle of getting enough of both audiences there often enough what with the water issues going on too.

Reactions: Ers236

Anon1669338224

Nov 24, 2022
Having no idea how this part of Jackson is how ****** of an area is this?
Homeless people walking around everywhere. Young thugs with 9mm's hanging out at the shell across the street. I was just there last week. It's pretty bad.

Studentdawg06

Oct 1, 2023
Yep. They wanted to be somewhere the older people could go after Fondren Public got young, but they always had a really weird approach.

Ers236

Oct 5, 2023
Barrelhouse’s approach was intentionally different. It tried to be a very good gastropub with very good food and beverages and did not want to copy Fondren Public.

I went to Barrelhouse pretty often. I loved the beer selections and was known to have some tuna poke nachos before seeing a show at Duling.

They just couldn’t thread the needle of getting enough of both audiences there often enough what with the water issues going on too.
The watermelon cooler and the tuna poke nachos were fire. Last time i went there they had a band and it was way too loud(am i old??) for the space. Plus parking was always hard to find. Wish they could have held on for the green space behind The Station and the parking garage would have helped. But yeah the water issues were the final straw

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
Okay. I guess I’ll elect to dance with the Devil in the pale moonlight.

Here’s my perspective concerning your thoughts: Given that I’ve eaten at Fenian’s about 4 times over the past year and have really liked what I ordered, I’m curious as to when the last time you’ve been there.

You come across to me in this thread as being fairly ignorant of Fenian’s as it’s been in the past few years considering reactions of others are different.

I’m not saying that there haven’t been down years. My impression is that you gave up on it in the down years and never came back.

And that surprises me when considering your previously stated love of South Jackson Barbecue as it seems that the Devil seems to have an appreciation for the unappreciated places that are ignored by others.
i read articles on FB and JJ about this earlier this morning and in the comments sections of both there were complaints similar to the Devil's. not many, just a few. they were more about the attitudes of the wait staff than the cleanliness.
the good comments far outweighed the bad, but the complaints the Devil made aren't unheard.. unless the Devil is multi-thread commenting...
i haven't been in at least 20 years so i have no dog in the fight....

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
i read articles on FB and JJ about this earlier this morning and in the comments sections of both there were complaints similar to the Devil's. not many, just a few. they were more about the attitudes of the wait staff than the cleanliness.
the good comments far outweighed the bad, but the complaints the Devil made aren't unheard.. unless the Devil is multi-thread commenting...
i haven't been in at least 20 years so i have no dog in the fight....
A fair point.

In the past several years I’ve come to not take into account attitudes of wait staff when it comes to tipping. With me being on the spectrum, I can at times be direct and occasionally brusque when stressed so I don’t worry about their mannerisms much at all.

All I care about is if the order was correct and served in a fairly expeditiously manner considering what I’ve noticed about the number of staff physically on premises.

Ers236

Oct 5, 2023
When Fenians fired Jamie I wondered how long they would last. It's been 5 years but that seems to be the theme as to why they're closing. Can't find good help. I will say I never went to Fenian's for the cleanliness. It was a good bar with good food and often times good music.

Reactions: eckie1

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I loved Fenians in the early 2010s and know a lot of others who did. The problem is we’re mostly all gone from Jackson.
Jackson is estimated to have lost 28% of its population from 1980 to 2022. That's tough for Jackson businesses.

Yes, some of those people moved to Jackson suburbs and can still patronize Jackson restaurants, but there are restaurants in the suburbs, too.

ETA: And it's not just white people leaving Jackson. The black population in Jackson decreased by 12% from 2010 to 2020.

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
Basils downtown shutting down Sept 15. Surprised they’ve made it this long. That building & downtown in general is a ghost town.

• Sad

Ers236

Oct 5, 2023
Basils downtown shutting down Sept 15. Surprised they’ve made it this long. That building & downtown in general is a ghost town.
Wondered if them opening a new location in Flowood would eventually lead to this

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
The mass exodus of banking and attorneys a decade ago, coupled with Covid and now teleworking state employees has made downtown totally empty. The Pinnacle building is dead empty, about the only walkable places to eat now are Keifers, Subway and ChickFila. The sidewalks used to be full of business folks walking around downtown and now you can walk during lunchtime and sometimes not see a soul walking around. It's crazy.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login