For the Jackson metro people - Fenians is closing**

EmpireDown

Oct 27, 2020
was it Christos Deli? i been trying to remember myself... they used to have a train on elevated tracks that ran around the bar area at the top of each hour... we used to go on Monday nights for Monday Night Football drink deals... i won a picture of beer one time... i think that s the only thing i have ever won in my life..
Yes, thanks. Was wracking my brain over the previous name as well. Their tap beer was so cold a thin layer of ice would form on the surface. Not great for the taste, but on a Mississippi summer day or night, glorious.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Basils downtown shutting down Sept 15. Surprised they’ve made it this long. That building & downtown in general is a ghost town.
Yeah…

In years past, a common route to revitalization that’s still done in out of state metro downtowns would be for investment from higher education (e.g., Indiana’s medical campuses at several different cities throughout the state— including West Lafayette; Elon University Law is in Greensboro much like MC Law is in Jackson).

Considering the enrollment cliff there’s only so much that can be done and what graduate professional program could be placed there? It’d almost certainly have to be from Ole Miss or Jackson State unless one of the private colleges does something…

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
Okay. I guess I’ll elect to dance with the Devil in the pale moonlight.

Here’s my perspective concerning your thoughts: Given that I’ve eaten at Fenian’s about 4 times over the past year and have really liked what I ordered, I’m curious as to when the last time you’ve been there.

You come across to me in this thread as being fairly ignorant of Fenian’s as it’s been in the past few years considering reactions of others are different.

I’m not saying that there haven’t been down years. My impression is that you gave up on it in the down years and never came back.

And that surprises me when considering your previously stated love of South Jackson Barbecue as it seems that the Devil seems to have an appreciation for the unappreciated places that are ignored by others.
First, let me say I highly respect your opinion on most things. The last time I was there was about 2 years ago. All I can say in terms of the food is imo it is horrible. I usually love dives and other off the beaten path kind of places. That being said, I ordered the shepherds pie and it was so bad I took a bite and threw it away. I would say over the last 5 years I have been 3 times, and each time because I was dragged by friends that liked the place. Also just the fact that entire place is covered in a layer of filth kind of spoke to the food for me as well. If the overall condition of the place is as nasty as it was then I have to assume the kitchen looks like that. I do love South Jackson bbq, but the quality of it and what Fenians was putting out is not even in the same universe. This is a place that it's time had come once you stop caring about sanitation and cleanliness then it is time to close the doors. As I stated in a previous post the 4 times that I have been there in the last 5 years all I saw was "bartenders" that had no idea what they were doing, and a staff in general that obviously refused to clean given the condition of the place.

I also do not buy this is some how the fault of Jackson, not saying that Jackson is an easy city in which to operate a business. The death of Fenians is completely on the ownership and the staff given that just around the corner there are a group of restaurants led by Elvies that are currently thriving. If you like Fenians then all I can say is I have no idea why, and I am very happy to wish that **** hole a much needed and deserved death.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Also just the fact that entire place is covered in a layer of filth kind of spoke to the food for me as well. If the overall condition of the place is as nasty as it was then I have to assume the kitchen looks like that.
Thanks. You usually have good taste too which is why I find your dislike of Fenian’s fascinating.

Related to the part of your comments to which I’m responding, there was one Jackson chain place where I got a similar icky feeling— Texas Roadhouse with their 17ing peanuts on the floor.

But you can’t presume that the same thing that would be in the restaurant proper would occur in the kitchen.

Fenian’s has had As the past couple years.

Yes, they did have a C in 2021 but that was soon corrected as it should be.

Sometimes there’s food that doesn’t mesh with our palate or preferred presentation style (e.g., I find Aplos pizza crust to be too flimsy for my taste even though it gets rave reviews) so I choose something else.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login