For those who saw today’s game

SouthernBelly

Sep 16, 2024
I would like to know if the following is correct: OU’s offense is awful and SC’s defense is good (maybe very good). But the Gamecock offense is what it is and it’s not good.
I didn’t see the game, just glancing at the stats and scoring summary this is what I get from that.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
The defense came into this game ranked 20th, which is EXCELLENT. The offense came into this game ranked 92nd, which is POOR.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I would say our offense was just fine. We didn’t really try to push the ball down field and were extremely conservative. It wasn’t perfect, but also we had put the game out of hand in the second quarter.

Eh, I dunno. I don't really buy it. If so, it was stupid.

Have a killer instinct.

I'm sure we would have scored me if we could.

hillna2

Feb 2, 2022

Have a killer instinct.

So add in a dropped wide-open TD pass and the game becomes 42-9. It would’ve been nice to put another TD or 2 on the board, but Beamer wasn’t gonna run it down their throat. The dude coached there and obviously still has relationships there. It did what needed to happen to win.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
So add in a dropped wide-open TD pass and the game becomes 42-9. It would’ve been nice to put another TD or 2 on the board, but Beamer wasn’t gonna run it down their throat. The dude coached there and obviously still has relationships there. It did what needed to happen to win.

That could have been a factor.

BftCocks09

Joined Aug 2, 2014
Jan 24, 2022

Have a killer instinct.

Disagree with killer instinct given the context. OK had shown NO ability to score on us pretty deep into the game. The only thing that would have seemed to be able to get OK back in the game would have been turnovers. We have a turnover prone QB. Had we pushed the ball down the field, thrown a couple interceptions leading to a short field for an inept OK offense to get them back in the game, people on here would have wanted blood. Can’t have it both ways.

Lakemurraycock

Joined Sep 28, 2003
Jan 20, 2022
With us up 21-0 six minutes into the game our offensive plan changed. It is hard to know how we would have done if the game was closer. Plan seemed to be don't take chances and run the clock when possible. And practice a few situational plays like going for two and fake punt when not needed.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Disagree with killer instinct given the context. OK had shown NO ability to score on us pretty deep into the game. The only thing that would have seemed to be able to get OK back in the game would have been turnovers. We have a turnover prone QB. Had we pushed the ball down the field, thrown a couple interceptions leading to a short field for an inept OK offense to get them back in the game, people on here would have wanted blood. Can’t have it both ways.
So really, we just didn’t trust our offense.

Teams with competent offices don’t cook conservative and start bleeding the clock in the second quarter.

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
Maybe it's just me but I thought Sellers looked better than he has the last few games. I also thought his touch on his passes had improved... especially while mobile. I was left thinking he may not have been 100% last week by the way he avoided contact but got no such feeling this week. I would have rather seen us build on that immediately instead of having another bye but whatever. I like where our offense is at this point. Defense is a beast.

LonghornsGamecocks

Feb 24, 2024
Beamer wasn’t gonna run it down their throat. The dude coached there and obviously still has relationships there. It did what needed to happen to win.
I'm not sure I agree with this take. I perceived a Shane Beamer frustrated as hell with the poor offensive play, sick of losing, sick of killer instinct, and desperately wanting to bury a team. I think he wanted 400 yards and 50+ points

Based on his sideline interactions, in game interviews, post game comments, etc - I don't think he decided to go conservative up 21-0 at all. I think he wanted to twist the knife and was pissed that we couldn't

3USC1801

Joined Dec 10, 2020
Jan 17, 2022
Totally agree. Beamer did what any smart coach would do. . . protect a huge lead by minimizing mistakes from a freshman QB who is prone to make mistakes. I’m sure Beamer would have liked to have run the ball better but as @Hobcawcreekcock pointed out, OK is a stout defensive team. Scoring 35 points in Norman is not something to brush aside.

Sellers continues to grow and improve while playing against excellent SEC talent and coaches. Time will tell if he will develop fully but he’s doing as well as reasonably can be expected at this point.

BftCocks09

Joined Aug 2, 2014
Jan 24, 2022
So really, we just didn’t trust our offense.

Teams with competent offices don’t cook conservative and start bleeding the clock in the second quarter.
I can agree with that. I’m just not going to give Beamer or Loggains grief over it. Sellers is the QB he is at the moment. And our coaches made the right decisions, in my opinion, based on the context of the game and of the season.

Reactions: 18IsTheMan

HuntinAces

Joined Sep 9, 2014
Feb 13, 2022
We are also heading into a 2nd bye week. We were going to make Oklahoma earn it. I take absolutely no stock on our offense from this game, except we avoided dumb penalties for the most part and protected the ball.
Now it’s time to refine it, build on it and attack the 2nd half of the season. We have a young QB, young receiving core with an OLine that needs work.
We handed Oklahoma their worst defeat at home in over a decade, up 21-0 halfway through the 1st quarter and we have fans that want to talk about our offense that was obviously playing conservative.
It’s one thing to play conservative against a team that can put points on the board in a hurry. But given Oklahomas woes, that was the correct game script.

Hobcawcreekcock

Joined Dec 10, 2000 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 22, 2022
We are also heading into a 2nd bye week. We were going to make Oklahoma earn it. I take absolutely no stock on our offense from this game, except we avoided dumb penalties for the most part and protected the ball.
Now it’s time to refine it, build on it and attack the 2nd half of the season. We have a young QB, young receiving core with an OLine that needs work.
We handed Oklahoma their worst defeat at home in over a decade, up 21-0 halfway through the 1st quarter and we have fans that want to talk about our offense that was obviously playing conservative.
It’s one thing to play conservative against a team that can put points on the board in a hurry. But given Oklahomas woes, that was the correct game script.
Well thought out post. We only had a few ‘dumb’ penalties yesterday, and more importantly, ZERO turnovers. Both of those, in a accomplished in hostile environment, were huge in our win, and a great sign that we are progressing in those two areas that have hindered our success!!

FlebusJones

Joined Aug 29, 2011
Jan 19, 2022
We were up 32 - 3 at halftime. The coaches believed that they could win this game without taking a lot of risks on offense in the second half. Beamer needed this win badly. It was a strategy to get through a half without turnovers from our offense.

Keep in mind that Sellers was one of the leaders in turnovers in college football. So we went to a very conservative (to a fault some may say) but we ran clock and didn't turn it over and ended up winning the game by about 4 touchdowns. Who cares what our total yards were? We could have gone into a passing attack with multiple looks to try to score more and run up yardage but why chance it?

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022

Yeah. Conservative play to sit on a lead against an inept offense.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login