Foxhall gone...

patdog

May 28, 2007
He gone... so what now? Hope the ones we need to keep don't all transfer...

Interesting that Lemonis pulled the trigger now. Looks like a desperation move to try to save his own job. And I'm not worried at all about transfers. We'll be much better off no matter who decides to transfer.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I can’t decide if it’s an early indication that Lemonis will be back or if this is setting up a three week trial run for Lemonis to try and prove Foxhall was the problem before it’s too late.

If we are retaining Lemonis, Corey Muscara at Wake Forest would be my first call for pitching coach. If it’s the beginning of a wholesale change, I would take Dan Heefner from Dallas Baptist in a heartbeat.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Interesting that Lemonis pulled the trigger now. Looks like a desperation move to try to save his own job. And I'm not worried at all about transfers. We'll be much better off no matter who decides to transfer.
Whether it is desperation or not it is obviously a preemptive move to try and buy himself another year.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
This won't change much. The problem is still recruiting.

I don't see why we did this, right now. Just desperation, and forcing of Lemonis' hand.
It probably won't change anything but we are so bad you have to at least consider the possibility that Foxhall is making our pitchers worse. We have nothing to lose by seeing if pitchers show some improvement if they just get him out of their ear. They probably won't, but there's no harm in trying. Worst case scenario is we slightly pad the record for most run rule games in a season.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
"Mississippi State is was the premier program in college baseball," Lemonis said. "There's no question our expectations are to be the gold standard of the sport. That has and will always be true."

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think you can make a case for keeping Lemonis and also for moving on..
You really can't. We were dead last in the SEC in ERA last year at 7.50. Can't blame Foxhall for the fact he was even here this year to begin with. That's all on Lemonis. Not to mention, we're also 11th in the SEC in runs scored and 12th in fielding percentage. Foxhall had nothing to do with those stats.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
For those saying that Lemonis only did it to save his job, I say - no ****. That's what he's PAID to do - evaluate his staff and make changes when necessary unless and until he's let go himself. Sometimes things just don't work out. It doesn't mean Foxhall can't coach, but it was obviously not working here at MSU.

Now it's on Lemonis to find a pitching coach that can do the job with what we have. This season's done - may as well get a head start on next.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
There is no way you could fire Foxhall last year. He just did an amazing job with our pitchers and won top assistant or some crap the year before. It's obvious now it was a great pitching staff despite him but you had to take a wait and see approach. We have waited and we have seed. I think its a great move but sadly it will save Lemonis job. Which might be good but I don't think so

Reactions: She Mate Me

Msuirondawgs

Mar 18, 2023
Given the current state of our pitching staff, who do we 'need' to keep?
I think the only ones needed to be kept are- Loftin, Lo, Nixon, Holcombe, Dohm and assuming Stone will come back again next season. Cade if he doesnt get drafted mid rounds and says **** it, Im out too.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
You really can't. We were dead last in the SEC in ERA last year at 7.50. Can't blame Foxhall for the fact he was even here this year to begin with. That's all on Lemonis. Not to mention, we're also 11th in the SEC in runs scored and 12th in fielding percentage. Foxhall had nothing to do with those stats.

The case for Lemonis being back is based on 2019 and 2021. And how much you pin on Foxhall for the last two seasons. It’s a very subjective case, sure. But I do understand at least part of it.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Given the current state of our pitching staff, who do we 'need' to keep?
Does Dohm have another year, assuming he's healthy? Have we heard an update on his arm? I assume Nixon is draft eligible and likely gone?

Beyond those two, some of the freshmen have probably been unfairly thrown in the fire this year. So I don't think we completely write those guys off given what we all think of Foxhall.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
This won't change much. The problem is still recruiting.

I don't see why we did this, right now. Just desperation, and forcing of Lemonis' hand.
I still think Lem and Goat can make things happen. We’ve improved everywhere but on the mound this season.

it’s live or die for both next season, though.

Reactions: Msuirondawgs

Msuirondawgs

Mar 18, 2023
Does Dohm have another year, assuming he's healthy? Have we heard an update on his arm? I assume Nixon is draft eligible and likely gone?

Beyond those two, some of the freshmen have probably been unfairly thrown in the fire this year. So I don't think we completely write those guys off given what we all think of Foxhall.
Dohm is classified as a Soph. Lem said his injury wasnt major... Nixon is draft eligible though.

G-Dawg

Sep 6, 2012
Whether it is desperation or not it is obviously a preemptive move to try and buy himself another year.
Right. People are talking like this was done by Lemonis on his own. No way a decision like this mid-season was made without prompting by the AD or at the very least, knowledge by the AD that this was going down.

Reactions: Old Fart Dawg

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I think this is Lemonis trying to save his own job at this point. I expect others to leave too if they can find something they think is acceptable because if 2024 is not a huge improvement then they all know they are getting fired.
It's not even saving his own ãss at this point, it's just management 101.

The pitching coach has a pitching staff that has put up a 9.82 era in conference games. In the business world that's like a CFO sending a few hundred thousand dollars from the corporate banking account to a prince from Nigeria that said in an email he would pay him back 3x as soon as he gets back to his throne or something.

You fire that idiot 10 out of 10 times in both cases.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
No we haven't. We're significantly worse in runs scored and fielding percentage this year, as well as ERA. There isn't one single thing about this team that is improved over last year.
There is this thing called morale that we haven’t had all season. The worst pitching staff in our history doesn’t just start and end with pitching stats.

This is step one. Like that ghey 90’s song, if we start sucking again then we’ll “start back at one”! This time it will be errrrbody else.

Reactions: patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login