Foxhall gone...

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Honestly, this was a smart move. No reason to delay the inevitable. We can go ahead and start the poaching search.
Yep. I'm a little shocked that Lemonis actually made the move this soon.

The one thing I wonder is if it was suggested by ZS for the reason you mentioned.

Reactions: Dawgg

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
For those saying that Lemonis only did it to save his job, I say - no ****. That's what he's PAID to do - evaluate his staff and make changes when necessary unless and until he's let go himself. Sometimes things just don't work out. It doesn't mean Foxhall can't coach, but it was obviously not working here at MSU.

Now it's on Lemonis to find a pitching coach that can do the job with what we have. This season's done - may as well get a head start on next.
Thank You!!
Lemonis’s job is to win baseball games. If he wins a lot more baseball games with a new pitching coach he saves his job.

It amazes me how fickle this board can be. Over the years how many coaches across all sports have we said, they need to fire such and such asst and it never happens. We finally have one do it and everyone is complaining he did it for optics.

HomeBoyDawg

Oct 22, 2013
Doesn't this pretty much assure that Lemonis will be back next season? Why would Selmon approve this so that we search for a pitching coach if he plans to fire or is seriously considering firing Lemonis in 3 weeks?

Last edited:

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Maybe he’s trying to get a jumpstart on someone by axing the fox this early. Regardless, I’m excited. I’m sure we could do worse pitching wise but this at least sends a sign that they’re not oblivious \.

Reactions: aTotal360

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
We’ve improved everywhere but on the mound this season.
-We didn't improve at catcher. How many passed balls do we have this year and for heavens sake we couldn't throw out a runner from the pitchers mound much less behind the plate.
-We didn't improve at SS until Forsythe was benched 2/3 way through season.
-We didn't improve at 1B when Hancock was there. We improved hitting only when Hines is there.
-We made too many errors at 3rd, but, one could argue anything was a step up from Kamren James there.
-I didn't see improvement in Clark in RF until recently when he started going w/ the pitches some and spraying some hits to the left side and up the middle instead of trying to pull everything into RF bleachers. (avg is up from .257 last year to .296 now).

bully12

Sep 2, 2012
Its a) optics to save his job and b) gives him the ability to hire someone as quickly as possible to sell to the signees
Most anybody of the quality we would want to hire will still be coaching at least through the regionals and possibly even Omaha; that doesn't translate to a quick hire.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

bully12

Sep 2, 2012
There is no way you could fire Foxhall last year. He just did an amazing job with our pitchers and won top assistant or some crap the year before. It's obvious now it was a great pitching staff despite him but you had to take a wait and see approach. We have waited and we have seed. I think its a great move but sadly it will save Lemonis job. Which might be good but I don't think so
This!! Agreed!!

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Most anybody of the quality we would want to hire will still be coaching at least through the regionals and possibly even Omaha; that doesn't translate to a quick hire.
Maybe. But again it allows you to start talking to folks and to pull the trigger if it’s there.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
-We didn't improve at catcher. How many passed balls do we have this year and for heavens sake we couldn't throw out a runner from the pitchers mound much less behind the plate.
-We didn't improve at SS until Forsythe was benched 2/3 way through season.
-We didn't improve at 1B when Hancock was there. We improved hitting only when Hines is there.
-We made too many errors at 3rd, but, one could argue anything was a step up from Kamren James there.
-I didn't see improvement in Clark in RF until recently when he started going w/ the pitches some and spraying some hits to the left side and up the middle instead of trying to pull everything into RF bleachers. (avg is up from .257 last year to .296 now).
We improved about eleventy billion percent at C once we moved ©️ to first base.

We improved at SS a lot. It’s not easy to yank a veteran that helped us a lot in Omaha. Yet, we did.

©️ puts the ball in play as much as Jeffry Rea used to. That does not suck, from a team perspective.

Alford has come into his own. This tale makes no sense to me.

Clark is all or nothing at the plate. Always been that way. His “all” is legit.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
This is a great example of closing the gate after the horses have all run out of the pen.

It still doesn't fix that we field like crap and have inconsistent performances in the batter's box across the team. We have a couple of guys that can hit the ball, but after that, we are left grasping at straws today it's just the first signal that the ship is sinking.

Reactions: HuntDawg and patdog

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
This is a great example of closing the gate after the horses have all run out of the pen.

It still doesn't fix that we field like crap and have inconsistent performances in the batter's box across the team. We have a couple of guys that can hit the ball, but after that, we are left grasping at straws today it's just the first signal that the ship is sinking.
Historically bad pitching can’t help anything.

Unless you can point to something specific, I have seen no examples of our fielding not strengthening. We have had improvement at 3B and SS.

I’m ecstatic for us to pull this off. We can’t make a habit of it, but we had to cut bait.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Nearly guarantees lemonis will be back near year. If they were going to clean house, they could have waited until season end to clean it.

barring major collapse down stretch. Lemonis will get another year.

perhaps small chance lemonis knows he’s gone so he’s doing this to show fight to the administration, but I see it as he’s back

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
We improved about eleventy billion percent at C once we moved ©️ to first base.

We improved at SS a lot. It’s not easy to yank a veteran that helped us a lot in Omaha. Yet, we did.

©️ puts the ball in play as much as Jeffry Rea used to. That does not suck, from a team perspective.

Alford has come into his own. This tale makes no sense to me.

Clark is all or nothing at the plate. Always been that way. His “all” is legit.
Wow. Did you watch the Tennessee game 1? High fill was so bad he didn’t catch the rest of the series

Hancock is below average period. And we put him at 1b, and block a guy from playing there whose our best offensive threat all the while eating up the dh position so we can’t give other guys at bats

the benching of Forsythe 30 games into the season is too little too late. The question is, why did it take so long?

improved is a touchy word. I guess we’ve sucked so bad for 2 years people have forgotten was average talent looks like, let alone good talent and good baseball

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
Nearly guarantees lemonis will be back near year. If they were going to clean house, they could have waited until season end to clean it.

barring major collapse down stretch. Lemonis will get another year.

perhaps small chance lemonis knows he’s gone so he’s doing this to show fight to the administration, but I see it as he’s back
i don't know what you define as major collapse, but before today, we were already staring down realistically only going 2 - 7 the rest of the way. that alone should get him fired. i'd say if he goes 5 -4 the rest of the way, he would deserve another year. anything less, and he needs to be gone. we're going 2 - 7, though. that will seal the deal

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
i don't know what you define as major collapse, but before today, we were already staring down realistically only going 2 - 7 the rest of the way. that alone should get him fired. i'd say if he goes 5 -4 the rest of the way, he would deserve another year. anything less, and he needs to be gone. we're going 2 - 7, though. that will seal the deal
i said initally i thought if we missed the SEC tourney he would be gone. I think this saves that. Again in my mind, if they were going to clean house, they'd simply wait for years end.

Total collapse at this point would be 2-7, 1-8. He makes hoover, he gets another year regardless though.

Again unless, he was basically told hes done at end of the year and he's trying to jolt things to try to get hot. Which i guess is possible, but I lean hard the other way. He's getting another year to improve things

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I can’t decide if it’s an early indication that Lemonis will be back or if this is setting up a three week trial run for Lemonis to try and prove Foxhall was the problem before it’s too late.

If we are retaining Lemonis, Corey Muscara at Wake Forest would be my first call for pitching coach. If it’s the beginning of a wholesale change, I would take Dan Heefner from Dallas Baptist in a heartbeat.
I agree with this. Although i lean this brings him back pretty heavily. Barring a collapse

patdog

May 28, 2007
I agree with this. Although i lean this brings him back pretty heavily. Barring a collapse
I think a lot of y'all are reading way too much into this. Lemonis may survive and he may not. But this doesn't affect it at all. What we do the next 3 weekends might though.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Based on your definition above of a total collapse (2-7 or 1-8), I think there is a good chance a total collapse will happen. The next 2 weekends could resemble some scores we saw against vandy and Kentucky

60sdog

Oct 9, 2010
This won't change much. The problem is still recruiting.

I don't see why we did this, right now. Just desperation, and forcing of Lemonis' hand.
i said initally i thought if we missed the SEC tourney he would be gone. I think this saves that. Again in my mind, if they were going to clean house, they'd simply wait for years end.

Total collapse at this point would be 2-7, 1-8. He makes hoover, he gets another year regardless though.

Again unless, he was basically told hes done at end of the year and he's trying to jolt things to try to get hot. Which i guess is possible, but I lean hard the other way. He's getting another year to improve things
This is sad. Enough has already been done by L. to confirm that he shouldn’t be coaching at our university.

Reactions: patdog

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
I can’t decide if it’s an early indication that Lemonis will be back or if this is setting up a three week trial run for Lemonis to try and prove Foxhall was the problem before it’s too late.

If we are retaining Lemonis, Corey Muscara at Wake Forest would be my first call for pitching coach. If it’s the beginning of a wholesale change, I would take Dan Heefner from Dallas Baptist in a heartbeat.
Impossible to change anything in a 3 week period. Recruiting and developing a competent pitching staff will take a couple years IMO.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
This is sad. Enough has already been done by L. to confirm that he shouldn’t be coaching at our university.M
Maybe Lemon has been told his contract will be terminated after season's end and he's just helping Fox get an early start to look for his next stop

Reactions: WilCoDawg

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I think a lot of y'all are reading way too much into this. Lemonis may survive and he may not. But this doesn't affect it at all. What we do the next 3 weekends might though.
disagree wholeheartedly.

If the AD was going to clean house he would nearly 100% waited until end of season to do so. Fired them all as a group, and brought in an entirely new group.

This tells me that the door is very much open for CL to return and fix his staff and the situation. CL words to the media and last night at dawg talk, seem to echo this

I do AGREE wholeheartedly that the last 3 weekends will play a role. A collapse I still he thinks gone. However I think we'll win a game or two down the stretch and that'll likely save his job.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
So....which pitcher will now miraculously stop beaning batters or flat walking folks? If that happens, some of yall can thank them for sand bagging.

patdog

May 28, 2007
disagree wholeheartedly.

If the AD was going to clean house he would nearly 100% waited until end of season to do so. Fired them all as a group, and brought in an entirely new group.

This tells me that the door is very much open for CL to return and fix his staff and the situation. CL words to the media and last night at dawg talk, seem to echo this

I do AGREE wholeheartedly that the last 3 weekends will play a role. A collapse I still he thinks gone. However I think we'll win a game or two down the stretch and that'll likely save his job.
So what is Selmon supposed to do when Lemonis tells him he's firing Foxhall? Tell him, you can't fire him now, I'm firing you all in 3 weeks? Fire them all now and we finish out the last 3 weeks of the season with the players coaching themselves because we have no coaches? Lemonis may survive (I hope not unless we show real improvement the rest of the season), but yesterday doesn't really tell us much other than Lemonis wanted to sacrifice Foxhall to try to save his own job.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I hope our new AD understands just how important baseball is to Miss State fans, alumni and boosters.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
a "game or two" isn't going to save his job. He has to have 4 minimum to save it. 4 - 5 and he lives to fight another day. 3 - 6, 2 - 7, 1 - 8, or 0 - 9 and he's gone. it will be 2 - 7

Reactions: patdog

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Thank You!!
Lemonis’s job is to win baseball games. If he wins a lot more baseball games with a new pitching coach he saves his job.

It amazes me how fickle this board can be. Over the years how many coaches across all sports have we said, they need to fire such and such asst and it never happens. We finally have one do it and everyone is complaining he did it for optics.
Since it should have obviously been done at the end of last year, it appears it was for optics this year otherwise why not wait for 3 more weekends? Really, why else would you do it this close to the end of the season if it wasn't for optics?

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
a "game or two" isn't going to save his job. He has to have 4 minimum to save it. 4 - 5 and he lives to fight another day. 3 - 6, 2 - 7, 1 - 8, or 0 - 9 and he's gone. it will be 2 - 7
5 wins doesn't show us anything compared to what the last 2 seasons have shown us

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
So what is Selmon supposed to do when Lemonis tells him he's firing Foxhall? Tell him, you can't fire him now, I'm firing you all in 3 weeks? Fire them all now and we finish out the last 3 weeks of the season with the players coaching themselves because we have no coaches? Lemonis may survive (I hope not unless we show real improvement the rest of the season), but yesterday doesn't really tell us much other than Lemonis wanted to sacrifice Foxhall to try to save his own job.
I’m sure selmon and lemonis have had many conversations thru the season. I’m sure lemonis has a good idea of where he stands. I don’t think this is a blindside type deal.

there are definitely two ways of viewing it:
1) exactly what you said, lemonis sacrificing foxhall

2) that CL and selmon had a conversation and mapped a plan out for the future. The future didn’t have foxhall in it, so they decided to pull the trigger on that now. The firing could not only rally the troops but also could give some of those people on the fence some hope for the future. Much like your seeing some of that on this board now.

I prefer to think option 2 happened. Am I sure, I’m not, but that’s my lean at this point.

the heat may be too much to handle if there is a collapse down the stretch, but I don’t think selmon is watching a car wreck and allowing CL to throw people out the window on the way just because.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
A game or two will definitely save his job if it gets him to hoover.

I actually think 3-6 gets him another year. 2-7 would be a heavy lean towards gone. Anything worse he’s probably gone. I do agree that 4 is the magic number that gets him back because that probably lands him in hoover as well

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
3 weeks from today there will be a similar statement put out by Selmon
I don't think so. I think the heat was put on Lemo and Foxhall was the sacrificial lamb. If they were both going to be fired Foxhall wouldn't have been terminated at this point. This tells me they've given Lemonis another year.

Reactions: HuntDawg

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
5 wins doesn't show us anything compared to what the last 2 seasons have shown us
I agree.

however I do think they have their minds made up right now it’s probably not in stone, there is some room for wiggle in there. That’s why these last 3 weeks are important for him anyway…

they know either they are letting him go or brining up back regardless right now. And they have probably discussed things like. We are going to bring him back unless we finish last, or we are going to fire him unless he can get us into hoover or show life, etc.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Doesn't this pretty much assure that Lemonis will be back next season? Why would Selmon approve this so that we search for a pitching coach if he plans to fire or is seriously considering firing Lemonis in 3 weeks?
I would think so, and while I wouldn’t necessarily have a huge disagreement with the entire staff being canned at this point, I do at least understand it if Selmon is giving him one last chance to get things right with his staff first.

My only argument is why did this take so long? I mean, Foxhall’s performance over the last 1.75 seasons would be about like having your septic system overflowing and getting **** all over your house/yard for well over a year, all while just keeping your fingers crossed that it’ll fix itself

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login