Fresh Corn available……..

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021
Had fresh corn on the cob yesterday from Simmons Farm in Washington County. Trax Farm also has fresh picked corn. The corn was bicolor and sweet, not exceptional like Lancaster Country Silver Queen or corn from Lebanon County or Berks county for that matter, but still very good.

I do not recall having corn on the Cob ever before July 4th.

Any other availability in the region? Is this the earliest ever?

Reactions: laKavosiey-st lion

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
Had fresh corn on the cob yesterday from Simmons Farm in Washington County. Trax Farm also has fresh picked corn. The corn was bicolor and sweet, not exceptional like Lancaster Country Silver Queen or corn from Lebanon County or Berks county for that matter, but still very good.

Corn today, corn tomorrow! 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Tgar and Woodpecker

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021

Is it knee-high? Could be what we’re up against.

• Haha
Reactions: Garw and Tgar

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

As a kid, I recall that July 4th was the general date for the 1st ears of corn for New Jersey corn. If the weather cooperated, there were occasional years where corn was available a few days before that, but that was infrequent.

Now a days, you can generally get (again, the weather can impact schedules) Jersey corn the last two weeks of June.

I've had fresh corn from Jersey many times before July 4th, especially in the past few decades.

Reactions: Lanz and Tgar

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
Macys Parade Corn GIF by The 96th Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
The Great Produce Experience by Lackawanna State Park. Will hit Jim’s when I get to the Scranton Farmer’s Market. Time to get some Miller’s scrapple too!
Word is Farmer's Market may open earlier than usual this year. No set date yet.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
As a kid, I recall that July 4th was the general date for the 1st ears of corn for New Jersey corn. If the weather cooperated, there were occasional years where corn was available a few days before that, but that was infrequent.

Now a days, you can generally get (again, the weather can impact schedules) Jersey corn the last two weeks of June.

I've had fresh corn from Jersey many times before July 4th, especially in the past few decades.
In Western PA if it (the corn) was "knee high" by July 4th you were doing good.

LionsAndBears

Oct 13, 2021
Here in Berks I've heard there's a certain strain that is grown which is sweeter than others. Heffner's comes to mind. One of my favorite summer meals is sweet corn pie...mmmm!

Reactions: Garw and Tgar

berklion

Oct 7, 2021
Silver Queen and the like were 90 days from planting to picking. Generally May 1 to August 1. Newer modified seeds mature in 60 days. They are not as sweet, but if you want to take a chance, plant in late March. Perhaps get 2 plantings. Mo money for NIL.

Reactions: Garw

Latest posts