Gainesville Rubber Game

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
This weekend was still a “win” for us.
I don’t know that I’d call it a win. But certainly 1-2 on the road against a good sec team is fine.

I don’t think there’s anybody that wouldn’t have taken our sec performance so far if you’d asked them at the beginning of the year.

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
I guess we can look for all the folks that said we should not have pulled the pitcher Friday to opine that we should have pulled the pitcher on Sunday.

msudawg200

Feb 1, 2012
I guess we can look for all the folks that said we should not have pulled the pitcher Friday to opine that we should have pulled the pitcher on Sunday.
The problem is less about leaving in or taking out. The problem is we don’t have guys who can consistently gets outs in high leverage situations. We’d have maybe 5 more wins this year if we had a Landon Sims. Probably 3 if we had someone even decent on the back end.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
No shut down arms in the pen is an issue.

But also the ol saying play for a run lose by a run is applicable here. Lemonis played for a run every chance he could in the late innings, and it bit us. Big innings win games, even more so when our bullpen is shaky

Aug 22, 2012
Ouch. HBP was ridiculous today. Honestly we should’ve won Friday and had the series in pocket today. Would’ve made today slightly less painful.

msudawg200

Feb 1, 2012
No shut down arms in the pen is an issue.

But also the ol saying play for a run lose by a run is applicable here. Lemonis played for a run every chance he could in the late innings, and it bit us. Big innings win games, even more so when our bullpen is shaky
Agree with this. Had no issue with the 2021 team playing for a run late when you’ve got Sims on the backend. This team feels like you need a 4 run lead in the 9th to feel ok.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I have nothing wrong with the pitcher he was okay until he decide to give the guy something he could hit with 2 strikes. No way you give him anything he can get a hold of. Not sure if it was bad pitch placement of a bad call

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
We need a closer some kind of bad. I'm more pissed about losing this series than most because we had both in the bag. If we had a closer we sweep the weekend but we haven't had a guy that can shut **** down since Simms and that's on lemonis for not making it a priority to find that guy or evaluating it correctly

Last edited:

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Now we get to see if Salmon has the cojones to make a change.
If he wasn’t willing to do it after the last two miserable seasons, I don’t see how there’s a chance that he’ll do it with a team that’s competing(yet still losing) against Top 25 teams. We missed our opportunity last year

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
The problem with not having a closer is you need quality starting to get to that closer. When we don’t even have a 3rd starter at the moment. And some of the pen arms we thought would be good have been exposed against sec teams.

we just don’t have the arms. My hope is that I’d Dohm gets back he returns to that role and we don’t stress him trying to build back to long innings and pitch counts

Reactions: Seinfeld and patdog

Anon1669338224

Nov 24, 2022
It's not just no closer. Our offense is still struggling in some spots. Long is putting the ball in play, but he's nowhere close to Highfill. Also no production from third base. Larry is struggling and Hines still isn't himself. This team can play way better. If it happens watch out. If not, we will need to make a change.

Reactions: patdog

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
If he wasn’t willing to do it after the last two miserable seasons, I don’t see how there’s a chance that he’ll do it with a team that’s competing(yet still losing) against Top 25 teams. We missed our opportunity last year
I wanted him gone last year as well, but he has proven this year that he can coach a competitive team again. I know they're not winning every game, but that won't get him fired at the end of the season. He has to stub his toe at the end of the season to get fired.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I wanted him gone last year as well, but he has proven this year that he can coach a competitive team again. I know they're not winning every game, but that won't get him fired at the end of the season. He has to stub his toe at the end of the season to get fired.
Polk II repeat is starting this year. We won’t fire him. But we should.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
The problem with not having a closer is you need quality starting to get to that closer. When we don’t even have a 3rd starter at the moment. And some of the pen arms we thought would be good have been exposed against sec teams.

we just don’t have the arms. My hope is that I’d Dohm gets back he returns to that role and we don’t stress him trying to build back to long innings and pitch counts
Everything you said is both true and infuriating at the same time. Year 6 of Lemonis and 2 years removed from a title, and we don’t have a single guy to close games on the roster

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

We gave up a total of 13 runs in a 3 game series on the road in the SEC for the 2nd consecutive weekend.

And we don't have arms?

I wish we had more, but that's perfectly acceptable from where we were

Reactions: Crazy Cotton

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
We gave up a total of 13 runs in a 3 game series on the road in the SEC for the 2nd consecutive weekend.

And we don't have arms?

Good point and very true. Florida is one of the worst offensive teams in the league.

our era in sec games is 5.17 and we only have 2 guys who era is under 4.50 in the sec.

goes back to I said you need to give it 3-4 weeks to get a feel for what we have. Maybe this works throughout conference play, but usually doesnt

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006

And we don't have arms?

Agree that there’s not a to complain about right now in terms of starting pitching. 8 runs and 9 walks from 10 and a 1/3 innings of relief pitching on the other hand…

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
It's not just no closer. Our offense is still struggling in some spots. Long is putting the ball in play, but he's nowhere close to Highfill. Also no production from third base. Larry is struggling and Hines still isn't himself. This team can play way better. If it happens watch out. If not, we will need to make a change.
I'm not going to get at the offense. You aren't going to get 12 runs every game. Some times you got to have pitchers to win games and shut it down. Not being able to hold a lead in the 9th is a major problem. We haven't had that issue until the last three years. Before that we have always had someone that could shut it down. Today we were fine until we pitched the wrong pitch to their best hitter. Should have been in the dirt. Not having a for real sinker swing and miss drop out pitch and a high eye level fast ball you can control is a problem for people we are trying to make closers.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login