Gas Station Chicken

Aug 31, 2012
You're all wrong. Crazy K's in Buckatunna. Hands down the best. BAM in Nettleton ain't no slouch either.
Crazy K’s
Aw shat now you talking. I’m driving on 45 south and do a u turn to get to Crazy K’s
Good P*ss stop for ms skipper and our crazy Boston terrier Binky
Never miss it going to orange beach
Dawg we gonna have to get together for a beer in Orange Beach sometime.

Aug 31, 2012
This is not gas station, but it's in a similar vein. On Wednesdays the Holmes County Hospital in Lexington serves some of the best chicken in the state of Mississippi. People come from miles around and line up out the door.

Lexington's usual number one lunch option, Gladys's, gets a little break on Wednesdays.
Fried chicken in a hospital
Isn’t that a oxymoron

Reactions: Pilgrimdawg

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
I live in NE MS and I used to work in Tupelo, and King's Chicken in Tupelo (technically Belden) has yet to be defeated in my book. I think the Lord Himself delivers the chicken to their store.
Kings is absolutely legit. Even the sides are great. No other place around beats it.

it’s in an old gas station..just not a gas station. PotAto Potaato.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
We could have a discussion on the best fried chicken livers too.
Let’s don’t forget the best beef and bean burrito.
BQuick on campus back in the 80’s was where I learned about and came to love a gas station burrito.
And this gas station delicacy seems to be only a thing in MS

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Crazy K’s
Aw shat now you talking. I’m driving on 45 south and do a u turn to get to Crazy K’s
Good P*ss stop for ms skipper and our crazy Boston terrier Binky
Never miss it going to orange beach
Dawg we gonna have to get together for a beer in Orange Beach sometime.
I’ll try to remember to let you know next time I’m down. The hamburger steak off the menu is legit at Crazy Ks too. Clean restrooms, great food, and ethanol free gas, it’s almost the perfect gas station. We had planned to go to OBA tomorrow but something came up with the Mrs. We may still try to head south by the end of the week, I’m about ready for some GT’s shrimp and grits and a couple of Big Beach Brews.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
You're all wrong. Crazy K's in Buckatunna. Hands down the best. BAM in Nettleton ain't no slouch either.
I had a meat and three there it was fantastic.
My favorite of all time was Woody’s in Starkville, then the Texaco next to Dave’s.

We still have Dodge’s in Pcola and they are very good.

Last edited:

Spotdawg

Feb 15, 2007
The Texaco/Cock of the Walk in Louisville, the tenders are yuug.
Once upon a time it was the bomb. I've stopped there several Sunday mornings on the way back home...they have changed the menu and the fried chicken strips are now very pedestrian.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Now do Gas Station Sushi! I'll hang up and listen...
Gas Station Chicken > Gas Station Breakfast > Gas Station Coffee > Gas Station Hot Dogs > Gas Station Sushi > A Bucket Full of Shìt and Raw Liver > Gas Station Brisket

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Once upon a time it was the bomb. I've stopped there several Sunday mornings on the way back home...they have changed the menu and the fried chicken strips are now very pedestrian.
Not so fast my friend, stopped in there on the way to the Bama game, they were as good as ever.

Reactions: Spotdawg

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Pepto Bismol GIF - Pepto Bismol GIFs

ice cream GIF

cactus.sixpack

Sep 3, 2012
I’ll try to remember to let you know next time I’m down. The hamburger steak off the menu is legit at Crazy Ks too. Clean restrooms, great food, and ethanol free gas, it’s almost the perfect gas station. We had planned to go to OBA tomorrow but something came up with the Mrs. We may still try to head south by the end of the week, I’m about ready for some GT’s shrimp and grits and a couple of Big Beach Brews.
Absolutely Crazy K's. Stop there every trip back home. Love their burgers as well.

Mayor of Little London

Dec 26, 2016
Seafood Chichen Express is in a gas station on HWY 39 in Meridian. Chicken some of the best in the state for sure, shrimp po-boy even better. Whenever Rocky Felker comes by for our local alumni golf tournament or other events we have, he always skips the lunch part(or is already full) because he says he can’t come to meridian without stopping there.

Theconnormead

Jan 26, 2023
In all of your years of life, in your opinion, who has the best gas station chicken in Mississippi?

I live in NE MS and I used to work in Tupelo, and King's Chicken in Tupelo (technically Belden) has yet to be defeated in my book. I think the Lord Himself delivers the fried chicken to their store.
Stafford Shurden who is an alumni does a Tailgate Gas Station Review. He has reviewed King's. Look him up on Facebook @staffordshurden or other social media, he has a great story. Former Judge, restaurant owner and farmer.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
The one off campus close to Duggar was the best, never replicated. Loved to go get "heat lamp chicken" and potato logs after 11 when it was marked down
That BQuick was my favorite in the early to mid 80's, their food was way better than the Mr Cook fast food place next door. No telling how many pieces of fried chicken and tater logs I ate out of that place after 10:00 p.m.

It changed hands back in the Spring but they don't do prepared food, they seem to want to make their main living selling vape cartridges. I told the new owner when she took over about the old days and how it was a hot spot late nights for hang over prevention food, she couldn't believe I had shopped in there 40+ years ago. They do sell beer now which is a "big big plus" but you would think that fast food would fly out the door w/ students so close. She said she wanted to do it but the prices for required fire suppression equipment were outrageous not to mention the fryers, added insurance, etc. and she couldn't make the numbers work.

77Dog

Nov 27, 2022
Seafood Chichen Express is in a gas station on HWY 39 in Meridian. Chicken some of the best in the state for sure, shrimp po-boy even better. Whenever Rocky Felker comes by for our local alumni golf tournament or other events we have, he always skips the lunch part(or is already full) because he says he can’t come to meridian without stopping there.
I’ll second Seafood Express in Meridian, mighty fine!

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Picked up some chicken at Cane's on the way home yesterday afternoon. Kudos to those folks for taking basic gas station chicken and creating a monster business with it.

Aug 31, 2012
We live big beach.
you ever been to tintop?
Sunday brunch they have bottomless mimosas for like 10 bucks.
ms skipper and I can eat drink, me get slobbernockered, and her having to drive back from Bon Secour

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
Amen on Dodges- been there many times and it’s always fine. Also, a place called “Reagan’s Corner” between Tylertown and Columbia on Hwy 98 has the best chicken on a stick anywhere, any time. It’s out of the way, but that chicken is fine along with their regular fried chicken. Best (and cheapest) grocery store chicken is at Piggly Wiggly in Tylertown. You can get an 8 piece dark box similar to what your grandma fried for $4.99-up from $3.99 about a year ago. A 100 piece covered aluminum pan full of chicken is $62. This time last year it was $50! That chicken is very well seasoned and never makes it under a heat lamp
This reminds me of Food Giant chicken in Columbus. About the same price and fantastic.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
We live big beach.
you ever been to tintop?
Sunday brunch they have bottomless mimosas for like 10 bucks.
ms skipper and I can eat drink, me get slobbernockered, and her having to drive back from Bon Secour
Yea. We do Tin Top or Jessie's occasionally but the drive deters us. Wherever the golf cart will take us is usually our destination. That being said, Gelato Joes in Foley is definitely worth the drive.

macdaddydawg

Sep 29, 2022
I'll throw in some Hinds county places. Pit Stop in Raymond has great tenders and real tater logs. Texaco in Terry has good chicken and blue plates. Lillie's in Clinton is on the side of a gas station and has fantastic fried chicken and blue plates. Best fried okra anywhere.

LOTRGOTDAWGFAN

May 23, 2022
In all of your years of life, in your opinion, who has the best gas station chicken in Mississippi?

I live in NE MS and I used to work in Tupelo, and King's Chicken in Tupelo (technically Belden) has yet to be defeated in my book. I think the Lord Himself delivers the fried chicken to their store.
Woody's right off campus. There is a relatively new place just north of laurel at a gas station on hwy 15 and trace road. the fried chicken there is absolutely delicious.

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
The best ever was the Chevron station on old 25 in Carthage. Back in the day (30 years ago), the chicken strips and tater logs could not be beaten and were a good 'halfway' snack on the way to and from my hometown of Hazlehurst. Unfortunately, when the bypass was finished some 2 decades+ ago, that store closed, drawing tears from the many of us who darkened its doors over the years. I believe it was recently torned down.

Muttley

Aug 22, 2012
Crazy K's, that's the best I've had, but the last couple of times I've been through they haven't been serving. Lady said they can't keep help.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Chevron station on old 25 in Carthage. I believe it was recently torned down.
I don't know about the food but they had the nastiest rest rooms around. I would stop there and go back behind the place with most everybody else rather than go inside their rr's. It would probably be an EPA toxic waste dump if investigated

mcfly.sixpack

Mar 21, 2009
Roy’s Store in Chatam for short order
Farmer’s Market in Grace get the chicken on a stick
Moranto’s in Anguilla used to have the best egg rolls on the planet
Smokey’s in Okolona for rib tips
Dodge’s in Leland for chicken. It’s better than the one in Tupelo.
United Deli in Columbus has fantastic sandwiches
Starkville 76 has a fine sandwich too
Fratesi’s Grocery in Leland for muffuletta
Corner Market in Greenville for hot tamales

I may write a book on gas station food in Mississippi on

mcfly.sixpack

Mar 21, 2009

I may write a book on gas station food in Mississippi one day

Aug 31, 2012
Yea. We do Tin Top or Jessie's occasionally but the drive deters us. Wherever the golf cart will take us is usually our destination. That being said, Gelato Joes in Foley is definitely worth the drive.
We golf cart mostly too
Can get to the wharf easily and can get to beach Blvd and pretty far down east canal

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Been there once about 2 years ago on way back from a Saints game.
Amazing

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022

I may write a book on gas station food in Mississippi on
Sounds like you should.
I love this stuff
👍👍

InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Jan 9, 2016
Stafford Shurden who is an alumni does a Tailgate Gas Station Review. He has reviewed King's. Look him up on Facebook @staffordshurden or other social media, he has a great story. Former Judge, restaurant owner and farmer.
Enjoy Stafford's YouTube channel but when I was in sales and traveling MS gained some serious weight verifying many of his reviews. His 1st year he had a Top 10 show in December. I think I hit 5 of the top 10 in one week. (one of 'em twice) and others.

Hit King's Chicken on Monday and Friday then Ben's Texaco in Corinth, Mexican taco stand in Memphis, 76 gas station north of Tunica, a place in Clarksdale that was sketchy (Healthy Dept wise) Chicken place on west side of Batesville, United Deli in Columbus then back to Tupelo.

Don't know who has the best chicken but King's was really good. So was Ben's.

Reactions: Theconnormead
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login