Gas Station Chicken

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
The best ever was the Chevron station on old 25 in Carthage. Back in the day (30 years ago), the chicken strips and tater logs could not be beaten and were a good 'halfway' snack on the way to and from my hometown of Hazlehurst. Unfortunately, when the bypass was finished some 2 decades+ ago, that store closed, drawing tears from the many of us who darkened its doors over the years. I believe it was recently torned down.
Yes, stopped there regularly. I wish someone would open a truck stop on 25 near there. There's only two small stations (Coal Bluff and the one in the weird curve) between Louisville and Holly Bush Road.

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Yea. We do Tin Top or Jessie's occasionally but the drive deters us. Wherever the golf cart will take us is usually our destination. That being said, Gelato Joes in Foley is definitely worth the drive.
Jessie's has a location down Ft. Morgan road now. Much closer to the beach.

lazlow

Jul 9, 2009
In all of your years of life, in your opinion, who has the best gas station chicken in Mississippi?

I live in NE MS and I used to work in Tupelo, and King's Chicken in Tupelo (technically Belden) has yet to be defeated in my book. I think the Lord Himself delivers the fried chicken to their store.
Dodge store in Gautier, MS. Best chicken biscuit I’ve ever had ever was Connie’s in Tupelo.

GTAdawg

Sep 11, 2010
The Exxon in Mathiston has hands down the best breakfast biscuits in the state. Real G’s know about the BEC and SEC. I said what I said and there is no debate.

honorable mention: Starkville Fastbreak. Fried rib tips.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
In all of your years of life, in your opinion, who has the best gas station chicken in Mississippi?

I live in NE MS and I used to work in Tupelo, and King's Chicken in Tupelo (technically Belden) has yet to be defeated in my book. I think the Lord Himself delivers the fried chicken to their store.
Double quick Mississippi delta

Reactions: Msdeltareb

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
The best ever was the Chevron station on old 25 in Carthage. Back in the day (30 years ago), the chicken strips and tater logs could not be beaten and were a good 'halfway' snack on the way to and from my hometown of Hazlehurst. Unfortunately, when the bypass was finished some 2 decades+ ago, that store closed, drawing tears from the many of us who darkened its doors over the years. I believe it was recently torned down.
Did you ever stop at the Hitching Rail? It was the all you can eat restaurant next to the gas station. Hadad and I went one time and all we ate was popcorn shrimp. Pretty sure we would have won a T shirt if they had a competition.

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Roy’s Store in Chatam for short order
Farmer’s Market in Grace get the chicken on a stick
Moranto’s in Anguilla used to have the best egg rolls on the planet
Smokey’s in Okolona for rib tips
Dodge’s in Leland for chicken. It’s better than the one in Tupelo.
United Deli in Columbus has fantastic sandwiches
Starkville 76 has a fine sandwich too
Fratesi’s Grocery in Leland for muffuletta
Corner Market in Greenville for hot tamales

I may write a book on gas station food in Mississippi on
Do you mean Farmer’s Grocery in Grace? I’ve seen that place when we visit my wife’s family in Glen Allen and always wanted to stop.

Reactions: mcfly.sixpack

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
Did you ever stop at the Hitching Rail? It was the all you can eat restaurant next to the gas station. Hadad and I went one time and all we ate was popcorn shrimp. Pretty sure we would have won a T shirt if they had a competition.
I never did, but I heard great things about it

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
The Exxon in Mathiston has hands down the best breakfast biscuits in the state. Real G’s know about the BEC and SEC. I said what I said and there is no debate.

honorable mention: Starkville Fastbreak. Fried rib tips.
I would put the SECs at the Diberville J-Mart up there, especially on weekends.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
They are disqualified from the discussion. You cannot have "Chicken" in your company name and be considered a gas station that sells chicken. At that point you're Chicken restaurant that also sells gas.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Dodge store in Gautier, MS. Best chicken biscuit I’ve ever had ever was Connie’s in Tupelo.
Little known tidbit. If you have your colonoscopy done at North MS Medical Center, Tupelo, when you check out they give you a coupon for a chicken and biscuit from Connie's. If you think its good normally, try going without eating for 24 hours and being high as a kite from anesthesia. I suggest buying extra

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login