George Washington University ditching Colonials...

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I always kind of thought they should have been called the Presidents instead.

They're keeping the mascot name until they come up with something better in the meantime.

[FONT="]Both a Special Committee and the Board of Trustees determined that the best course of action is to find a more unifying moniker. The Colonials moniker will remain the university moniker until a new moniker is determined. (2/3)— GW University (@GWtweets) June 15, 2022 [/FONT]

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Their school and they can do what they want but I'm having a hard time seeing how that term can offend anybody.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
What the hell? It's not like they were called the Colonizers. Colonials were just the inhabitants of a colony. It's a term the British used and the American colonials kicked that ***.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I'll save everyone some mental pain and reading time, here's the highlights of the article in the Tweet. What a crock of colonial crap:

[h=2]-"need to unify the community"

-"the board and special committee ultimately determined that given the division among the community about the moniker, it can no longer serve its purpose as a name that unifies"

-"considered the varying perspectives of our students, faculty, staff, alumni and athletics community"

-"A moniker must unify our community, draw people together and serve as a source of pride"

-"we must continue to lead with our values, strengths and the diversity of the George Washington University community

-"For opponents, Colonials means colonizers who stole land and resources from indigenous groups, killed or exiled Native peoples and introduced slavery into the colonies[/h]

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
The name colonials is neither organic nor sustainable and is offensive to underprivileged and under served people all around the world. We must pull together to fight to end this oppressive behavior. I pledge to work together in an effort to advance these causes by working together with other like minded individuals to work together in this effort.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
New Mascot: Guilt-ridden, rich white progressives at an elite private university in D.C. that doesn't reflect the demographics of D.C. and has few graduates of D.C. public schools as students. Admittedly it's kind of long. Is there a costume for that?

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
They have athletics, who knew? When are they going to get of that? After all, athletics nurtures unhealthy competitive attitudes among impressionable youth.

patdog

May 28, 2007
95% chance that name is a lot better than whatever they wind up with.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
Changing mascots so they don't have to change demographics and allow in a lot of poor-nonwhite kids who won't pony up to the university foundation later in life. It's like those pretty much all-white neighborhoods in Boston I saw with huge houses and BLM signs in the front yard, I mean yaaard.

HeCannotGo

Feb 23, 2011
The name colonials is neither organic nor sustainable and is offensive to underprivileged and under served people all around the world. We must pull together to fight to end this oppressive behavior. I pledge to work together in an effort to advance these causes by working together with other like minded individuals to work together in this effort.

Reads as if it came straight from a vice presidential press conference. Top shelf word salad. Here's a 2021 for you.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I'm disappointed in all of y'all.

None of y'all have yet to suggest the GW Bushes. **

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
New flash. Any groups of people who exist on this earth at one point in time their ancestors stole or conquered land. This includes the indigenous peoples of America. At some point that land was stolen or won over by another group. That's history.

turkish

Aug 22, 2012
People apparently have too much damn time on their hands to be thinking of crap like this.
That’s the part of this that is baffling and humorous to me. In today’s world, with all our issues, how do people, that likely are paid very handsomely and have apparently convinced someone that they are very intelligent and can be trusted to make very wide-reaching decisions, have time to work on things so meaningless.

I get it when a celebrity does things like this. They’re bored. But do these types of professionals really have nothing better to work on?

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Have you heard of a place called Washington DC? Those idiots spend a lot of time concerning themselves with some extremely dumb **** with all the other crap going on. It amazes the amount of time they waste on committees and meeting on something a majority of Americans couldn't care less about.

turkish

Aug 22, 2012
Anymore, I view DC politicians with the same level of legitimacy as celebrities. Major university administrators, I thought, stayed a little busier. Love and learn.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
Like there are underprivileged and under served who attend that school. I'm sure all the underpaid, non-white custodial staff is ecstatic about this change.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Have you heard of a place called Washington DC? Those idiots spend a lot of time concerning themselves with some extremely dumb **** with all the other crap going on. It amazes the amount of time they waste on committees and meeting on something a majority of Americans couldn't care less about.

They get paid extra if they serve on a committee. If you chair a committee you get even paid more. The speaker of the house double dips. They get paid to be Congressman and get paid to be Speaker. The Speaker of the house does not have to be a member of the House. It is a separate job that the member of House votes for. You could run for it. Too top it off if you are on a committee and you have a foundation your foundation is going to get rich. That legal bribe that needs to be change. Unless all that changed over the years.

Last edited:

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
“We hold these truths to be self-evident that all men are created equal…”. For those who signed the Declaration, they were referring to White men, mostly European. The rest of our history is the struggle to include everyone and make these best words ever written by an American, real. Does dropping Colonials make the aforementioned words more true? Blacks, Indians, women and Latinos all died in the Revolution fighting for freedom. I would be proud to be a Colonial; my children wouldn’t. Like the kids a GWU, they think you have to judge everything in the past as wrong. Trojan Dawgs is right. The past is what it is.

Also famous words. “Go to Hell, Ole Miss.”

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
I always kind of thought they should have been called the Presidents instead.

They're keeping the mascot name until they come up with something better in the meantime.

[FONT="]Both a Special Committee and the Board of Trustees determined that the best course of action is to find a more unifying moniker. The Colonials moniker will remain the university moniker until a new moniker is determined. (2/3)— GW University (@GWtweets) June 15, 2022 [/FONT]

All lands are conquered…..ignorant virtue 17s

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Huh. I hadn't realized that was a divisive name and mascot.
If this is the **** we are now having to change, life is pretty 17ing great.
...or people are focusing on the wrong ****.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I'd like to be caught up enough that worrying about finding an obtuse angle to the next thing to be offended by was on my list...

Last edited:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
That’s the part of this that is baffling and humorous to me. In today’s world, with all our issues, how do people, that likely are paid very handsomely and have apparently convinced someone that they are very intelligent and can be trusted to make very wide-reaching decisions, have time to work on things so meaningless.

I get it when a celebrity does things like this. They’re bored. But do these types of professionals really have nothing better to work on?

There is a lot of fat in american university administration. They probably have a whole department dedicated to DEI, basically with the mission of show we care about diversity, equity, and inclusion in any way other than reducing our tuition income. So they come up with a bunch of crap like this to justify their jobs. Honestly, if this doesn't alienate too many alumni, this is probably less destructive to the operation of the university than most other things they would likely spend their time on.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login