Getting a Buc-ee's here in the 'Sip.

Feb 15, 2007
With 3 small children who make the 11 hour trip from Nashville to Florida twice a year, the Buc-ees along I75 have completely changed out trips. They are awesome.

Mar 3, 2008
Went to the one in Robertsdale yesterday. Been there many times coming and going from the beach. It was packed like I’ve never seen it. There were only 10 parking spaces in the back.

BossDawg78

Jan 25, 2015
I don't see the draw to Buccees other than nice, clean restrooms. It's overhyped.

Me neither. But we stopped on our way to Destin this year for the sake of my Nephew. The crowd was ridiculous and the line into the women's bathroom was literally about 100 feet out into the store. The turkey BBQ sandwich was meh. Oh, the Testla charging station was interesting. We parked close and the same two cars on the chargers were still there after about an hour in the store. Surely they don't take that long to charge. Or I guess it's just depends on how much charge you want.

Last edited:

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
We just stopped in the one outside Birmingham. Gas was the cheapest we saw the whole trip. Bathrooms were clean. Food lines were quick.

It’s overhyped but still really good as far as gas stations are concerned.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Try their boudin stuffed pork tenderloin. Smoke at 325 for about 30 min. It’s fine.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
I don’t live far from where it’s going.
Meh.
I’ll be happy for the convenience of another option to purchase fuel

HotMop

May 8, 2006
Me neither. But we stopped on our way to Destin this year for the sake of my Nephew. The crowd was ridiculous and the line into the women's bathroom was literally about 100 feet out into the store. The turkey BBQ sandwich was meh. Oh, the Testla charging station was interesting. We parked close and the same two cars on the chargers were still there after about an hour in the store. Surely they don't take that long to charge. Or I guess it's just depends on how much charge you want.
You got turkey at a BBQ stand, what is wrong with you? Reset your priorities.

Lawdawg.sixpack

Jul 22, 2012
Caramel pretzels. And if you like Almond Joys, get the milk chocolate coconut almonds.

You’re welcome.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Is this a joke? I've heard this before and tried a bbq s/w at the one near Loxley and it tasted like something out of a can.

Tin Cup Cowboy

Sep 14, 2012
I currently live outside of the Buc-ee's foot print and have never visited one. I've only driven past them and heard talk such as in this thread, I have no opinion on them. I do however find it fascinating to watch as people line up as either pro Buc-ee or Buc-ee haters.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I currently live outside of the Buc-ee's foot print and have never visited one. I've only driven past them and heard talk such as in this thread, I have no opinion on them. I do however find it fascinating to watch as people line up as either pro Buc-ee or Buc-ee haters.

I do too. I’ve been to one somewhere in South Georgia. I feel like Desoto said it best, it’s just a convenience store. I don’t hate them but I’m certainly not stopping and dealing with the amount of people that is usually in them, especially that one outside of mobile. I’d have to be literally running out of gas before I stopped there

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Is this a joke? I've heard this before and tried a bbq s/w at the one near Loxley and it tasted like something out of a can.

I think that was a (deserved) shot at barbecue on the coast rather than a huge compliment to Bucees. But I thought the Bucee's brisket sandwich was solid and really good for something that is more or less as convenient as fast food. I also liked the smoked turkey sandwich and thought it was as good as plenty of sandwiches I've had at over priced sandwich places.

I think the hype around Bucee's just shows how crappy most gas stations are and how used to it we are. Which I'm not really complaining about. I rarely go into a gas station and mostly would prefer a crappy gas station if that means cheaper gas. Except that I think stations make so little money on gas it actually helps them keep gas cheaper to have a store that is bringing in money.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
What’s not to like. I’m probably over 70 feet long in the RV and I’ve never failed to pull right up to a pump. They don’t allow commercial trucks. They are immaculately clean. Food is good and freshly made, it’s not sitting under a heat lamp all day. Selection is good. I bought a Buccees Yeti knockoff years ago for a quarter of what a Yeti cost. The chocolate coconut covered almonds are legit. Their efficiency surpasses any other convenience store I’ve ever seen. Some people hate just for the sake of hating.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I do too. I’ve been to one somewhere in South Georgia. I feel like Desoto said it best, it’s just a convenience store. I don’t hate them but I’m certainly not stopping and dealing with the amount of people that is usually in them, especially that one outside of mobile. I’d have to be literally running out of gas before I stopped there

You don't want to be stopping at that one on the way to the beach on the weekend. Other than that, sure, put me down for a brisket sammich and some beaver nuggets.

Last edited:

BrunswickDawg

Aug 22, 2012

That would be the one in Fort Valley/Warner Robins just south of Macon. They are about to start building one on I-95 at Exit 42 in Glynn County.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

It's actually not nearly as bad as it looks as far as getting in and out timely. Not sure I've ever gone during the true peak crowd as we try to get to the beach early in the day or late in the day and leave the same way just to minimize the risk of getting stuck in traffic, but stopped one time when I thought it would be miserable because people we were traveling with were stopping, and it wasn't bad at all. Now if I need gas and ice on the way to the beach, it's the best place to stop. Also, if you want to avoid having to deal with food right when you get to the beach, you can get everybody fed while you're getting gas and ice provided you can get them to make a decision quickly.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I had heard all the hype and said I'd never go in one. Back in March on a Monday we were passing the one in Loxley and needed gas so after checking GasBuddy app fuel prices pulled in because they were much cheaper than anywhere else. It wasn't crowded on a Monday in March so we went in, we walked out 90 minutes later. Wife bought 8 bottles of wine (said it was cheaper than what we get in MS), all kinds of nuts and sweets, and said the brisket sandwich was solid. My daughter told me she recently had a brisket breakfast burrito and that it was top notch too. I pumped gas, walked around a lot and got a Powerade but enjoyed looking.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
The Chopping Block Roast Beef sammie (with bacon) is pretty fine pared with a Dr Pepper Icee (half straight DP, half Icee), follow that up with a hot apple pie or one of the many fruit filled kolache and you're good for another 5 hours on the road (minus bathroom stops).

Pro tip, even if they offer whatever you want pre-made, check to kiosk to see if you can get it fresh.

MaroonOil

Jan 13, 2021
A proper Buccee’s is doing an insane amount of sales a day. That is just from a gas perspective. I’m talking 105,000 gallons plus a day, even at these prices.

Then, Buccee’s is the biggest gas store in the country last I checked. Most are the size of a Kroger.

It isn’t just a gas station & nothing to see here. Unique in many ways, but they are products of said state. The ones I love in Texas have great briskets & then lol the nuggets.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
You don't want to be stopping at that one on the way to the beach on the weekend. Other than that, sure, put me down for a brisket sammich and some beaver nuggets.

Those beaver nuggets are awesome. Maybe a little too awesome.

sfnsfn

Apr 3, 2020
If you go to Bucees, get the brisket sandwich and some kolaches from the bakery. Grab a peach Texas Tea from the drink cooler if you really want to do it right.

BossDawg78

Jan 25, 2015
If you go to Bucees, get the brisket sandwich and some kolaches from the bakery. Grab a peach Texas Tea from the drink cooler if you really want to do it right.

I would've liked to poke around a little more but I was hangry and needed something. Sholl would've loved to try that peach sweet tea though had I known about it

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Beaver nuggets are just meh. It's just cheese puffs coated with Cracker Jack stuff rather than cheese. There is lots better stuff in Buccees than the nuggets.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
Took the exit for the one between Mobile and Pensacola on the way to Destin the weekend of the 4th. We all needed a restroom and had never been in one so wanted to see what the hype was about. 25 minutes later we still were probably 30 cars away from even making it into the parking lot. Just said screw it, pulled a U turn and got back on I-10 and went to the next exit. Pretty sure every single I-10 traveler that day was trying to get into that place.

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
I don't see the draw to Buccees other than nice, clean restrooms. It's overhyped.
100% agree. I’ve heard a lot about Bucee’s brisket sandwiches and was excited a few weeks ago when we were driving back home through TX. I bought 2 of them for lunch and they were God awful - Arby’s “brisket” is better… Similar to the jokes on this board about soaking meat in Dale’s, I’m pretty sure the brisket was marinated in liquid smoke. I was able to take 2 bites and threw the rest away. HIGHLY overrated…

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
100% agree. I’ve heard a lot about Bucee’s brisket sandwiches and was excited a few weeks ago when we were driving back home through TX. I bought 2 of them for lunch and they were God awful - Arby’s “brisket” is better… Similar to the jokes on this board about soaking meat in Dale’s, I’m pretty sure the brisket was marinated in liquid smoke. I was able to take 2 bites and threw the rest away. HIGHLY overrated…

It is an experience for sure but it is also overrated. They have the cleanest public restrooms I have ever seen, some of their snacks are good, and gas prices is usually good for the area. The biggest draw is watching people going absolutely nuts over it. The biggest drawbacks are it is not a quick in quick out and you inevitably give back what discount you get on gas on overpriced stuff you don't really need. Like I said earlier, I like to visit occasionally just for the experience but not everytime I pass close to one.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login