Glen Davis interview on Bo Bounds yesterday (he blames Leach for the state of the program).....

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
So, if you listen, you heard Glen Davis from Co-Lin call in. In the most good ole boy description ever, he says Arnett was a good coach, had a plan, but wasn't given enough time to implement his plan, which includes rebuilding with JUCOs (shocking that Davis would support that, right?). He then says Lebby is a good coach but has nothing to work with. In no uncertain terms, he blames Leach for the state of the program without actually stating it. Says you can't blame Arnett or Lebby. Of course, Bo, who has always supported Leach, wouldn't stand up to him, and basically agreed with him. Bo's schtick is that Leach is just simply a miracle worker who can work with bad talent. Partially true, but not completely.

My question is, why did everybody hate Leach? The only real reason I can come up with is because he isn't a blowhard good ole boy like them, who was rooted in Mis Sip RuN dA bAwL footbawww. His recrootin was not bad, the classes were ranked in the mid-20s like they always are. Some left to the portal? Well, that's life now, and whoever is the current coach has to replace those guys in the portal (Leach did this by the way). Leach also used the JUCOs, signed 3 in 2021 and 2 in 2022. While I know we used to sign 5-6, I think we all agree that most of those guys were now coming from the portal. And not to mention, he won games and would have won more.

I mean, did Leach not kiss his *** enough? It just boggles the mind how close-minded in and tunnel-visioned the MS football culture can be. I mean they all got what they wanted last year and they couldn't even figure out which way to block. I hope Selmon and Lebby don't sell out to these guys. I mean why won't they even breach the subject of Arnett changing the offense immediately, in year 1, with a veteran team? And Barbay wasn't a good ole boy....so don't tell me they are protecting their pal or anything. Why should somebody, who makes a decision THAT fatal, be allowed to implement anything? It's like blinders or something. Yes, Arnett is a good coach, but how could anyone that watched this year play out defend him regarding a head coaching role?

Last edited:

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
What is to stand up to? He’s right. Leach filled the program with receivers and QBs who bailed the program and left the trenches bare.

Now I don’t agree that Arnett should have been given a chance because his 45th ranked class wasn’t gonna fix ****. But yes, we ARE in this mess because of Leach’s lack of crootin anything but offensive skill players.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Yeah. I have to agree and I liked Leach. Everywhere Leach has left, struggled afterwards because the roster had to be flipped and filled with different players.

I think it was obvious this year, we were over matched in most sec games. Which says to me, recruiting was poor in 00-22. However I do think Arnett was in over his head and his lack of coaching experience made matters worse.

I doubt Lebby cares what a juco coach thinks or how things were done. Lebby will do things his way and he will win or lose.

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
What is to stand up to? He’s right. Leach filled the program with receivers and QBs who bailed the program and left the trenches bare.
Again, I repeat:

His recrootin was not bad, the classes were ranked in the mid-20s like they always are. Some left to the portal? Well, that's life now, and whoever is the current coach has to replace those guys in the portal (Leach did this by the way). Leach also used the JUCOs, signed 3 in 2021 and 2 in 2022. While I know we used to sign 5-6, I think we all agree that most of those guys were now coming from the portal.

Ya'll are gonna have to come up with something more than that. The roster isn't THAT bad. It's inexperienced, I will admit. Not to mention, the same players who played well in 2022, looked slow and out of shape in 2023.

And no, @Maroon13, that has not been Leach's pattern.

Indndawg

Nov 16, 2005
So, if you listen, you heard Glen Davis from Co-Lin call in. In the most good ole boy description ever, he says Arnett was a good coach, had a plan, but wasn't given enough time to implement his plan, which includes rebuilding with JUCOs (shocking that Davis would support that, right?). He then says Lebby is a good coach but has nothing to work with. In no uncertain terms, he blames Leach for the state of the program without actually stating it. Says you can't blame Arnett or Lebby. Of course, Bo, who has always supported Leach, wouldn't stand up to him, and basically agreed with him. Bo's schtick is that Leach is just simply a miracle worker who can work with bad talent. Partially true, but not completely.

My question is, why did everybody hate Leach? The only real reason I can come up with is because he isn't a blowhard good ole boy like them, who was rooted in Mis Sip RuN dA bAwL footbawww. His recrootin was not bad, the classes were ranked in the mid-20s like they always are. Some left to the portal? Well, that's life now, and whoever is the current coach has to replace those guys in the portal (Leach did this by the way). Leach also used the JUCOs, signed 3 in 2021 and 2 in 2022. While I know we used to sign 5-6, I think we all agree that most of those guys were now coming from the portal. And not to mention, he won games and would have won more.

I mean, did Leach not kiss his *** enough? It just boggles the mind how close-minded in and tunnel-visioned the MS football culture can be. I mean they all got what they wanted last year and they couldn't even figure out which way to block. I hope Selmon and Lebby don't sell out to these guys. I mean why won't they even breach the subject of Arnett changing the offense immediately, in year 1, with a veteran team? And Barbay wasn't a good ole boy....so don't tell me they are protecting their pal or anything. Why should somebody, who makes a decision THAT fatal, be allowed to implement anything? It's like blinders or something. Yes, Arnett is a good coach, but how could anyone that watched this year play out defend him regarding a head coaching role?
Leach was a poor recruiter. Arnette was a terrible coach.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
If we made a mistake firing Arnett then he'll bounce back quickly and be a head coach in no time....right ?

Reactions: tyroid

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
The simple answer: Davis didn’t like Leach’s offense because his offense isn’t JUCO coach friendly and more importantly not Mississippi coach friendly because it was a completely different style.

JUCO coaches could at least deal with the wildcat/spread offense because option concepts can be and often are incorporated.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You could make a real case Croom left the roster in better shape than Leach.
I hope you can see the narrative being built here. Y’all tried to do it with Arnett until he just proved beyond a shadow of a doubt how bad he was. And you’re going to do it to dismiss anything Lebby does wrong.

These things can never be proven, but all I know is that Leach’s ratings were right there with Mullen’s. And there are no straight holes on the roster where there simply aren’t bodies with a little talent.

HomeBoyDawg

Oct 22, 2013
You can have a high or decently ranked recruiting class but still not have the right players.

I liked Leach a lot and was looking forward to his continuing to (hopefully) build on his foundation. Unfortunately, the o line was terrible and it really showed this year. However, it allowed Leach enough time to "decently" run the air raid.

Reactions: kired

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You can have a high or decently ranked recruiting class but still not have the right players.

I liked Leach a lot and was looking forward to his continuing to (hopefully) build on his foundation. Unfortunately, the o line was terrible and it really showed this year. However, it allowed Leach enough time to "decently" run the air raid.
Same OL was pretty good in 2022

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Again, I repeat:

His recrootin was not bad, the classes were ranked in the mid-20s like they always are. Some left to the portal? Well, that's life now, and whoever is the current coach has to replace those guys in the portal (Leach did this by the way). Leach also used the JUCOs, signed 3 in 2021 and 2 in 2022. While I know we used to sign 5-6, I think we all agree that most of those guys were now coming from the portal.

Ya'll are gonna have to come up with something more than that. The roster isn't THAT bad. It's inexperienced, I will admit. Not to mention, the same players who played well in 2022, looked slow and out of shape in 2023.

Then please, enlighten us. Which place was better off when he left?

8dog

Feb 23, 2008

I liked Leach a lot and was looking forward to his continuing to (hopefully) build on his foundation. Unfortunately, the o line was terrible and it really showed this year. However, it allowed Leach enough time to "decently" run the air

You could make a real case Croom left the roster in better shape than Leach.
He absolutely left Mullen more.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
He absolutely left Mullen more.
At RB, sure. DL, maybe. What other positions were better? QB? Ha ha ha ha ha ha. Our OL wasn’t bad when Leach died, Arnett killed that group. Receivers? Also laughable. Yall think leach wouldn’t have sured up spots by recruiting and coaching over the last 12 Mo this? Y’all are still stuck on hating leach and he could’ve out coached Arnett last year from the grave. Every problem on our team right now is because of Arnett.

Last edited:

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
The problem started with the NIL and immediate transfer portal, that is the real problem. The state of the program was going to head in the same direction, Arnett just very very quickly accelerated it. If anything, Leach was a perfect type coach for us especially in this new NIL/transfer portal era. He could at least off set the talent gap at times and make us competitive with lesser type players. His philosophy for defense was the same as his offense, gorilla warfare, be different, go against the norm with a system, and be precise, commited too, and good at the system

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Glen Davis was a stud on the court at LSU.
Didn't realize he is coaching juco football now...he was recently found guilty of insurance fraud.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022

Now I don’t agree that Arnett should have been given a chance because his 45th ranked class wasn’t gonna fix ****. But yes, we ARE in this mess because of Leach’s lack of crootin anything but offensive skill players.
Don’t bring common sense to OG Goat. It goes way over his head

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The problem started with the NIL and immediate transfer portal, that is the real problem. The state of the program was going to head in the same direction, Arnett just very very quickly accelerated it. If anything, Leach was a perfect type coach for us especially in this new NIL/transfer portal era. He could at least off set the talent gap at times and make us competitive with lesser type players. His philosophy for defense was the same as his offense, gorilla warfare, be different, go against the norm with a system, and be precise, commited too, and good at the system
Agreed. And now, we need to find a new Leach. I have no idea who that is. Malzahn is kind of an older version who would have done well with our typical talent.

I keep hearing about Lebby’s “system”. Maybe he is the next Leach. I don’t if he’s the same disciplinarian type as Leach - that was heavily underestimated as a coaching quality. But we will see.

Reactions: bulldoghair

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016

It’s simple for me. Leach left the TEAM in great shape for 2023. He left the program in poor shape with his recruiting. Arnett proved he can’t coach proven talent to win 7 games, can’t recruit, etc. Arnett had to go.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
At RB, sure. DL, maybe. What other positions were better? QB? Ha ha ha ha ha ha. Our OL wasn’t bad when Leach died, Arnett killed that group. Receivers? Also laughable. Yall think leach wouldn’t have sured up spots by recruiting and coaching over the last 12 Mo this? Y’all are still stuck on hating leach and he could’ve out coached Arnett last year from the grave. Every problem on our team right now is because of Arnett.

He left him 3 NFL Offensive Linemen in Saulsberry, Jackson and Sherrod. He left him 2 NFL DBs in Mitchell and Banks. He left him an NFL LB in Chaney and Chris White. Thats in addition to Cox, Boyd, McPhee, Love and KJ Wright.

I mean it’s not even debatable. How many guys Leach and co signed in 21-23 will even get drafted ultimately?

And as for our OLine this year- Leach and OC didn’t even sign 3/5 of the starters.

Last edited:

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

Multiple things can be true at once

I liked leach a lot, but I do think after Leach died we were in a bad situation because of what Leach had done.

He did not have to have superior talent to win, because he was good at coaching and good at motivating his players, and his system worked with those players to an extent.

once he died, there was no one who could run Leach’s system, because only leech could run lecachs system

Last edited:
Reactions: woozman

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It’s simple for me. Leach left the TEAM in great shape for 2023. He left the program in poor shape with his recruiting. Arnett proved he can’t coach proven talent to win 7 games, can’t recruit, etc. Arnett had to go.
I know it’s blasphemy around here to say this, but Mullen did exactly this when he left. The 2018 team was stacked, but….well, we all saw what happened afterwards.

And as far as this goes, exactly how long before a new coach has to take responsibility?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
once he died, there was no one who could run Leach’s system, because only leech could run lecachs system
Wish we would have given Spurrier and Hollingshead a shot at it. And if it doesn’t work, move to Arnett’s ‘plan’. That decision got him fired.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Agreed. And now, we need to find a new Leach. I have no idea who that is. Malzahn is kind of an older version who would have done well with our typical talent.

I keep hearing about Lebby’s “system”. Maybe he is the next Leach. I don’t if he’s the same disciplinarian type as Leach - that was heavily underestimated as a coaching quality. But we will see.
We do not need any coach that is married to his own gimmick system. Trying to fit players into a system instead of fitting a system into what players you have is a$$ backwards than anything we ever need here.

So, no. The last thing we need is a “new” Mike Leach.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We do not need any coach that is married to his own gimmick system. Trying to fit players into a system instead of fitting a system into what players you have is a$$ backwards than anything we ever need here.

So, no. The last thing we need is a “new” Mike Leach.
Wow, absolutely wrong. Because your way has proven to be so fruitful for us throughout our history, right?

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
Again, I repeat:

Overall stars is only one way of looking at recruiting ability and talent on a roster. EVERYONE a knows that SEC football is won in the trenches and it’s been that way for a LONG time. Leach did a great job recruiting WR’s and QB’s but ultimately left gaping holes in other areas (OL, DL, TE,…).

That doesn’t make Leach a bad coach or recruiter. He just did things differently and it’s going to take time to flip the roster and build it for a different system. Hopefully Lebby can use the portal to make that happen sooner rather than later.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Overall stars is only one way of looking at recruiting ability and talent on a roster. EVERYONE a knows that SEC football is won in the trenches and it’s been that way for a LONG time. Leach did a great job recruiting WR’s and QB’s but ultimately left gaping holes in other areas (OL, DL, TE,…).

That doesn’t make Leach a bad coach or recruiter. He just did things differently and it’s going to take time to flip the roster and build it for a different system. Hopefully Lebby can use the portal to make that happen sooner rather than later.
Agree with you. Just don’t think it’s as bad as some are trying to make it out to be.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
My god. Log the 17 off, chief. You’re having a worse night than usual.
Hey man, it’s fun being good once every 15 years right? We can run a different offense each time. Only thing that sucks is that the average American man will only see us be good like 7 times in his life.

Good call mane

Reactions: darkhorse_dan

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I hope you can see the narrative being built here. Y’all tried to do it with Arnett until he just proved beyond a shadow of a doubt how bad he was. And you’re going to do it to dismiss anything Lebby does wrong.

These things can never be proven, but all I know is that Leach’s ratings were right there with Mullen’s. And there are no straight holes on the roster where there simply aren’t bodies with a little talent.
What did the balance by position look like?

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016

Arnett didn’t coach jack crap on that sideline. He did good work as DC but let’s cut the bull. He absolutely sucked this year, no two ways about it. He also made maybe two or three good roster upgrades for his defense while he was on our staff. No way our new AD could let that go when he’s not the guy who hired Arnett. Selmon made the right call on firing Arnett and there is currently very little reason to think Lebby is a bust after two weeks. Bounds is a choad who barely has any business talking sports, much less providing wisdom or experience on the subject matter.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
You people are delusional. Certain elements tore down everything Leach had built, 1) because he shut off all good ol boy influence 2) because of a fundamental disagreement on throwing the ball vs a run the football disagreement. Now you got what you wanted and it sucked major ***. You ran off Leach recruits and you Fd around and whiffed on a entire recruiting class and an entire portal class.....and now you suck. in this environment it’s very tough to rebuild without major $$$$. What the good ol boys did is they blew it up one too many times, and you want to blame Leach

Lmao...

Good luck

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login