Glen Davis interview on Bo Bounds yesterday (he blames Leach for the state of the program).....

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
He left him 3 NFL Offensive Linemen in Saulsberry, Jackson and Sherrod. He left him 2 NFL DBs in Mitchell and Banks. He left him an NFL LB in Chaney and Chris White. Thats in addition to Cox, Boyd, McPhee, Love and KJ Wright.

I mean it’s not even debatable. How many guys Leach and co signed in 21-23 will even get drafted ultimately?

And as for our OLine this year- Leach and OC didn’t even sign 3/5 of the starters.
I think you are giving croom credit for guys signed after him and credit for guys who developed after him under Dan but blaming Leach for players regressing after he was dead. Pretty sure Mullen signed Chris white and McPhee out of juco. Maybe KJ as well, memory shaky at best on that one. Leach didn’t leave the cupboard bare. Players severely regressed in the last 12 months. Can’t blame Leach for that.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I think you are giving croom credit for guys signed after him and credit for guys who developed after him under Dan but blaming Leach for players regressing after he was dead. Pretty sure Mullen signed Chris white and McPhee out of juco. Maybe KJ as well, memory shaky at best on that one. Leach didn’t leave the cupboard bare. Players severely regressed in the last 12 months. Can’t blame Leach for that.
Yep most of those players were actually signed by Mullen. And kinda just lucky, as that was one of the best classes is MS history.

Most people just have short memories.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
I think you will find the people who want to blame Leach after the fact, trashed Leach the whole time he was coaching, wanted him fired while he was going 9-4, claimed Arnett and Barbay were an upgrade over Leach, predicted 8-10 wins for Arnett and Barbay, cheered on the firing of Leachs entire staff..

Now they want to turn around and blame Leach....Lmao, pathetic

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I think you will find the people who want to blame Leach after the fact, trashed Leach the whole time he was coaching, wanted him fired while he was going 9-4, claimed Arnett and Barbay were an upgrade over Leach, predicted 8-10 wins for Arnett and Barbay, cheered on the firing of Leachs entire staff..

Now they want to turn around and blame Leach....Lmao, pathetic
1702180758925.gif

BA Dog

Nov 4, 2021
We do not need any coach that is married to his own gimmick system. Trying to fit players into a system instead of fitting a system into what players you have is a$$ backwards than anything we ever need here.

So, no. The last thing we need is a “new” Mike Leach.
A new Mike leach is exactly what we need and should hope for. A simple system that average players can execute at a high level is what Leach ran, not a gimmick. The air raid did not try to deceive or gimmick you, it tried to out execute you. Leach had very few trick plays in his offense that I ever saw. I can’t recall any. He ran the same plays over and over again and out executed teams when he won. The offensive line that he left was a good unit last year. They sucked this year in a “gimmicky” offense. Barbary’s offense could “never be fully installed”(his words) because he was constantly trying to “fit a system” to the players we had. We schemed plays and “fitted a system” weekly. The result was that we never repped our newly “fitted” plays for that particular week enough to be able to identify and pick up who to block on the OL or to keep from running into each other at receiver.
It’s crazy to me that some think we don’t need a “niche” offense in the day of unlimited transfers and nil to help even the playing field for us. In 2014, Georgia Tech beat the best team Mississippi State has ever fielded with a niche offensive system… the triple option. They did this with a lesser talented team. Per 247 recruiting rankings, the recruiting classes for GT from 2010-2014 were ranked 40, 42, 53, 69, 54 for an average class rank of 51.6. In that same span MSU was at 28, 40, 22, 24, 36 with an average class ranking of 30. Paul Johnson, the coach who was “married to his own gimmick system” and forced players into that system beat a Mississippi State team that out recruited them by an average of 21 spots because of the niche offense they ran.
Lets all hope that Lebby is here for a long time and can win without a “gimmicky” offense.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
leach went 11-2 at Texas Tech and 11-2 at WSU, to answer the dubmass questions on why the programs regressed after he left, well naturally when a hall of fame coach leaves an outpost school that is traditionally an underdog, you can expect them to sink back into their traditional slot.

This is true of Miss State as well, you only accelerated the decline with the good ole boys dismantling everything Leach built at a feverish pace. Enjoy

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Leach won 9 games last year. He built the program to win games his way, and he won. The man is dead. Why bring that trash here?
Yea well read the board, most of the douches who hated Leach and never gave him a fair shot, cheered on the dismantling of his program under Arnett, Peterson, friend want to roast him in effigy over our current predicament, Lol

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Leach won 9 games last year. He built the program to win games his way, and he won. The man is dead. Why bring that trash here?
Because the dumbshlt faction of our fanbase is blaming him, that’s why

But hey, nothing we can do about this but just hope and pray that Selmon and Lebby do not fall victim to the good ole boy BS. We shall see

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Because the dumbshlt faction of our fanbase is blaming him, that’s why

But hey, nothing we can do about this but just hope and pray that Selmon and Lebby do not fall victim to the good ole boy BS. We shall see
I was thinking bout that earlier. If Selmon/Lebby tries to appease the good ol boys they are freaking doomed. Some of the hires makes me think that is a 50/50 proposition.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Wow, absolutely wrong. Because your way has proven to be so fruitful for us throughout our history, right?
You are good with a system/gimmick offense, but you trash a QB that flousihed in a system/gimmick offense and dismiss him as successful only because of the system/gimmick offense.

Yup, that's goat to a t.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Wish we would have given Spurrier and Hollingshead a shot at it. And if it doesn’t work, move to Arnett’s ‘plan’. That decision got him fired.
I mean in hindsight that was probably a better idea but spurrier hasn’t really proven much of anything

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
I mean in hindsight that was probably a better idea but spurrier hasn’t really proven much of anything
Miller sure has, how could it had been any worse, really what you are doing is excusing
Peterson and the good ol boys taking over for a clueless Arnett. we saw it , it was a freaking abomination.

Reactions: bulldoghair

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
A. I see reading comprehension isn’t your thing.

B. Tarleton state is what you are building your main argument on?

C. Go rub your va jina more and cry

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
A. I see reading comprehension isn’t your thing.

B. Tarleton state is what you are building your main argument on?

C. Go rub your va jina more and cry
Miller ranks tops in his conference in yards and ppg playing similar competition, he would have coached circles around the trash we had coaching us this year.

As far as va jina , I’ll let you and your buddy Peterson console each other in unemployment line, loser.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Miller ranks tops in his conference in yards and ppg playing similar competition, he would have coached circles around the trash we had coaching us this year.

As far as va jina , I’ll let you and your buddy Peterson console each other in unemployment line, loser.
Now do Bar B Q in 2022 at Appalachian state against similar competition.

see how that works?

I’m not unemployed.

Again, I know reading comprehension isn’t your thing but as I stated in my original post. IN HINDSIGHT KEEPING THE STAFF PROBABLY WAS A BETTER IDEA BUT AS THEY SAY “Hindsight is 20/20”

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Lol , No I don’t see how that works, Miller was so superior to Friend or any other Offensive coach on our staff this year it isn’t funny. congrats on your JV coaching job, maybe you can get peterson a job as he’s basically unemployable now, Good ol boy losers.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Croom at minimum committee everyone I listed. Thats on the World Wide Web. He left us in much better shape. I can’t believe anyone isn’t enraged at this roster.

but take away the commits and Croom still had us in better shape. What Leach/Arnette and crew did- particularly letting Emrick make all the calls- was awful. As it was put to me “we were very close to ruining every HS and juco relationship we had in the state”

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I was thinking bout that earlier. If Selmon/Lebby tries to appease the good ol boys they are freaking doomed. Some of the hires makes me think that is a 50/50 proposition.
But I was told the good old boys were a figment of our imagination from the past that should move on from that way of ancient thinking, they had no place in the modern MSU world.

Y'all have fun with that.

Mike Leach was far and away not the greatest coach to ever walk this earth but we had something quite different with that man will never have again. Having to listen to these people trash him and blame him for our ****** season points to the new problems this page has inherited.

Y'all have fun with that.

Last edited:

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
So, if you listen, you heard Glen Davis from Co-Lin call in. In the most good ole boy description ever, he says Arnett was a good coach, had a plan, but wasn't given enough time to implement his plan, which includes rebuilding with JUCOs (shocking that Davis would support that, right?). He then says Lebby is a good coach but has nothing to work with. In no uncertain terms, he blames Leach for the state of the program without actually stating it. Says you can't blame Arnett or Lebby. Of course, Bo, who has always supported Leach, wouldn't stand up to him, and basically agreed with him. Bo's schtick is that Leach is just simply a miracle worker who can work with bad talent. Partially true, but not completely.

My question is, why did everybody hate Leach? The only real reason I can come up with is because he isn't a blowhard good ole boy like them, who was rooted in Mis Sip RuN dA bAwL footbawww. His recrootin was not bad, the classes were ranked in the mid-20s like they always are. Some left to the portal? Well, that's life now, and whoever is the current coach has to replace those guys in the portal (Leach did this by the way). Leach also used the JUCOs, signed 3 in 2021 and 2 in 2022. While I know we used to sign 5-6, I think we all agree that most of those guys were now coming from the portal. And not to mention, he won games and would have won more.

I mean, did Leach not kiss his *** enough? It just boggles the mind how close-minded in and tunnel-visioned the MS football culture can be. I mean they all got what they wanted last year and they couldn't even figure out which way to block. I hope Selmon and Lebby don't sell out to these guys. I mean why won't they even breach the subject of Arnett changing the offense immediately, in year 1, with a veteran team? And Barbay wasn't a good ole boy....so don't tell me they are protecting their pal or anything. Why should somebody, who makes a decision THAT fatal, be allowed to implement anything? It's like blinders or something. Yes, Arnett is a good coach, but how could anyone that watched this year play out defend him regarding a head coaching ro
It's almost like some of us have been telling yall-
Leach killed this program. He had people running recruiting that had no clue. His recruiting classes were terrible and a crap ton of kids transferred to G5 schools. Bridges were burnt in recruiting that cost us more players. Leach might have been a cool guy but he wrecked us. There was no "great Leach " at MSU. He wasn't some tough guy like some think. He was less hands on that any coach ever. Oh, and Arnett was lost as a HC, but he's a good DC.

• Angry
Reactions: darkhorse_dan

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Leach killed this program. He had people running recruiting that had no clue. His recruiting classes were terrible and a crap ton of kids transferred to G5 schools. Bridges were burnt in recruiting that cost us more players. Leach might have been a cool guy but he wrecked us. There was no "great Leach " at MSU. He wasn't some tough guy like some think. He was less hands on that any coach ever. Oh, and Arnett was lost as a HC, but he's a good DC.
I hope Lebby can wreck our program like Leach and get us back to 9 wins. We don’t deserve nice things

Nugdawg

Mar 3, 2008
Bull 17ing ****

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Croom at minimum committee everyone I listed. Thats on the World Wide Web. He left us in much better shape. I can’t believe anyone isn’t enraged at this roster.

but take away the commits and Croom still had us in better shape. What Leach/Arnette and crew did- particularly letting Emrick make all the calls- was awful. As it was put to me “we were very close to ruining every HS and juco relationship we had in the state”
Croom gets credit for guys that signed 2.5 months after he was fired and you’re blaming leach for our roster 12 months after his death? Leach left I think 19 returning starters (3 starters went pro?) that had just won 9 games as juniors and y’all are trying to say the man left us nothing. Y’all are licking the back of your naval.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Croom gets credit for guys that signed 2.5 months after he was fired and you’re blaming leach for our roster 12 months after his death? Leach left I think 19 returning starters (3 starters went pro?) that had just won 9 games as juniors and y’all are trying to say the man left us nothing. Y’all are licking the back of your
Of course Croom gets credit for committing those guys to state. And leach returned a ton of starters this year he didn’t recruit. We started at least 5 guys on defense- our best players- that were on the 2018 Outback Bowl Team. 3 of 5 OL starters weren’t Leachs. Woody was t Leachs guys.

but I’m mostly talking about what we will have next year. It’s awful.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Croom gets credit for guys that signed 2.5 months after he was fired and you’re blaming leach for our roster 12 months after his death? Leach left I think 19 returning starters (3 starters went pro?) that had just won 9 games as juniors and y’all are trying to say the man left us nothing. Y’all are licking the back of your naval.
Go look at all the 5+ year players. Leach didn't recruit all those guys and several committed before he even arrived. Now go look at what we don't have next year. It's a massive recruiting failure. We got a lot of fans that like Leach because he's Leach. That's cool and fine if that's your thing. But he wasn't getting us a lot of SEC football players and just as many people didn't like him because he was Leach. He was fairly polarizing.

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
Now do Bar B Q in 2022 at Appalachian state against similar competition.

see how that works?

I’m not unemployed.

Again, I know reading comprehension isn’t your thing but as I stated in my original post. IN HINDSIGHT KEEPING THE STAFF PROBABLY WAS A BETTER IDEA BUT AS THEY SAY “Hindsight is 20/20”
Some fail to understand that Barbay was basically demoted at App State mid year. His playing calling duties were taken away from him and the App state HC called plays remainder of the year. Also that App State team went 6-6.

Barbay hire is what you get when you promote a meathead like ZA who has zero connections and add to it you consult a spreadsheet on analytics rather than actually doing research on candidates

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
Some fail to understand that Barbay was basically demoted at App State mid year. His playing calling duties were taken away from him and the App state HC called plays remainder of the year. Also that App State team went 6-6.

Barbay hire is what you get when you promote a meathead like ZA who has zero connections and add to it you consult a spreadsheet on analytics rather than actually doing research on candidates
I don't blame Arnett for Barbay. Arnett had no connections and we went after Briles hard. Arnett is a better coach than HC but he was in a tough spot. He wasn't ready for it all. Still, he's a good guy and coach.

Reactions: paindonthurt

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Funny bc I can’t find that anywhere but here is an article talking about how they got too conservative in the second half of their season.

so maybe they should have let bar b q continue calling the plays

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I don't blame Arnett for Barbay. Arnett had no connections and we went after Briles hard. Arnett is a better coach than HC but he was in a tough spot. He wasn't ready for it all. Still, he's a good guy and coach.
Nah man. This people are right. They knew exactly who to hire and when.

that’s why they eat their boogers on Saturday vs coaching!

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
A new Mike leach is exactly what we need and should hope for. A simple system that average players can execute at a high level is what Leach ran, not a gimmick. The air raid did not try to deceive or gimmick you, it tried to out execute you. Leach had very few trick plays in his offense that I ever saw. I can’t recall any. He ran the same plays over and over again and out executed teams when he won. The offensive line that he left was a good unit last year. They sucked this year in a “gimmicky” offense. Barbary’s offense could “never be fully installed”(his words) because he was constantly trying to “fit a system” to the players we had. We schemed plays and “fitted a system” weekly. The result was that we never repped our newly “fitted” plays for that particular week enough to be able to identify and pick up who to block on the OL or to keep from running into each other at receiver.
It’s crazy to me that some think we don’t need a “niche” offense in the day of unlimited transfers and nil to help even the playing field for us. In 2014, Georgia Tech beat the best team Mississippi State has ever fielded with a niche offensive system… the triple option. They did this with a lesser talented team. Per 247 recruiting rankings, the recruiting classes for GT from 2010-2014 were ranked 40, 42, 53, 69, 54 for an average class rank of 51.6. In that same span MSU was at 28, 40, 22, 24, 36 with an average class ranking of 30. Paul Johnson, the coach who was “married to his own gimmick system” and forced players into that system beat a Mississippi State team that out recruited them by an average of 21 spots because of the niche offense they ran.
Let’s all hope that Lebby is here for a long time and can win without a “gimmicky” offense.
“I don’t think” “you” “understand” what “happens” when the “coach” “leaves” after “installing a gimmick offense”. It “does” more “harm” than “good” and leads to “perpetual” “rebuilds”.

“But”, “who wants” “stability” anyway????”****”

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
By everyone, I'm assuming you mean HS and JuCo coaches? Leach was beloved by the fanbase as a whole.
I didn't see this. I saw a dumb fanbase that couldn't see what was being built, and cried about running the ball. I saw a fanbase that didn't show up to the games (17 COVID, winning programs show up). I saw a fanbase that bltched constantly about offense KNOWING we didn't fully have the correct players in here. I see a bunch of idiots who asked the man idiotic questions that was funny in like 2007, and never truly appreciated him. I mean look at this thread, it's so very obvious which posters possess the good ole boy mentality. It's a sizable amount of people, and encompasses a lot of them that have the big money.

And they aren't all dumb. You don't get rich by being dumb. But the Miss Stake mentality reminds me of families in the ghetto - many of them are smart enough to get out and shed the thinking but the generational curse just keeps bringing them down.

And the fact that COVID hit, and then his death, when we FINALLY got the right coach in here - almost tells me that this football program is just not worth 17ing with. I mean if we want to be an extension of the high schools and JUCOs around here (which may be a good plan, I don't know), why did we immediately go out and hire a passing coach in Lebby? Do we even know what we want? I mean it's the RuN dA bAwL crowd that is praising Lebby, I don't think they know what's up. If they think we're going to find this elite QB who can throw well AND run well, we are mistaken. The only way the muh dual threat crowd gets what they want is if we have a running QB and commit to the damn Picayune wing-T, and that just won't work in modern football. You have to throw it.

Perhaps it's the MS high schools and JUCOs that need to change. But hey, JUCO is the one thing about MS football that wins big. So maybe they have a point. This state is just stuck between what works in big boy football, and what works in podunk small town peewee football where you just give it to your fastest player and let him run. Leach tried hard to get 7 on 7 going around here, but it never took hold.

Last edited:

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I didn't see this. I saw a dumb fanbase that couldn't see what was being built, and cried about running the ball. I saw a fanbase that didn't show up to the games (17 COVID, winning programs show up). I saw a fanbase that bltched constantly about offense KNOWING we didn't fully have the correct players in here. I see a bunch of idiots who asked the man idiotic questions that was funny in like 2007, and never truly appreciated him. I mean look at this thread, it's so very obvious which posters possess the good ole boy mentality. It's a sizable amount of people, and encompasses a lot of them that have the big money.

And they aren't all dumb. You don't get rich by being dumb. But the Miss Stake mentality reminds me of families in the ghetto - many of them are smart enough to get out and shed the thinking but the generational curse just keeps bringing them down.

And the fact that COVID hit, and then his death, when we FINALLY got the right coach in here - almost tells me that this football program is just not worth 17ing with. I mean if we want to be an extension of the high schools and JUCOs around here (which may be a good plan, I don't know), why did we immediately go out and hire a passing coach in Lebby? Do we even know what we want? I mean it's the RuN dA bAwL crowd that is praising Lebby, I don't think they know what's up. If they think we're going to find this elite QB who can throw well AND run well, we are mistaken. The only way the muh dual threat crowd gets what they want is if we have a running QB and commit to the damn Picayune wing-T, and that just won't work in modern football. You have to throw it.

Perhaps it's the MS high schools and JUCOs that need to change. But hey, JUCO is the one thing about MS football that wins big. So maybe they have a point. This state is just stuck between what works in big boy football, and what works in podunk small town peewee football where you just give it to your fastest player and let him run. Leach tried hard to get 7 on 7 going around here, but it never took hold.
Are you sure your views aren't clouded by a few dozen active MB/FB/Twitter posters? Most of my friends and family are State grads, I go to all the games, talk to a bunch of people, never met a MSU fan in person that didn't love Mike.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
Let’s all hope that Lebby is here for a long time and can win without a “gimmicky” offense.
Good post. It’s amazingly shocking how many fans, administrators, alumni don’t understand this.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Good post. It’s amazingly shocking how many fans, administrators, alumni don’t understand this.
Lane Kiffin doesn’t need a gimmick offense and he’s been a billion times more successful than I ever would have expected him to be. From what I’ve seen, he takes what he has and schemes it out, like Mullen used to do. And, no, it never works out against Bama or UGA. Neither will any hardcoded, inflexible offense we have ever run like Schlomo or Leach.

You adapt or you implode these days. If we have to be a breeding ground for the bigger schools’ next successful coaches, then so be it. But, we have to have a coach that will spread the field, let go of his bygone, “poor ol’ MSU” concepts (air raid and triple option), roll up his sleeves and do some 17ing homework week to week. Not just roll out what you already know isn’t gonna work.

Reactions: patdog

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
Lane Kiffin doesn’t need a gimmick offense and he’s been a billion times more successful than I ever would have expected him to be. From what I’ve seen, he takes what he has and schemes it out, like Mullen used to do. And, no, it never works out against Bama or UGA. Neither will any hardcoded, inflexible offense we have ever run like Schlomo or Leach.

You adapt or you implode these days. If we have to be a breeding ground for the bigger schools’ next successful coaches, then so be it. But, we have to have a coach that will spread the field, let go of his bygone, “poor ol’ MSU” concepts (air raid and triple option), roll up his sleeves and do some 17ing homework week to week. Not just roll out what you already know isn’t gonna work.
Spread the field? With what? Players? What kind of players? Ole Miss type players? Who spends more money on players, wether it be HS recruits, transfer portals, or current rostered players, us or them? So why do you want to scheme and do the same thing they do but without the same type of players across the board? Dumb.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Your posts in this thread aren't aging well.

Actually, Kiffin does have an offensive system. He doesn't 'adapt', that's why he couldn't use John Rhys Plumlee. Mullen didn't adapt, he needed a QB run threat. Tyson Lee, Tyler Russell, remember those guys? Good players but playing out of scheme. That said, don't start nitpicking words, I understand everyone adapts to a certain extent, but big picture, you know I am correct. Do I think Kiffin and Mullen are full on offensive system coaches, probably not, somewhere in the middle. But they absolutely had specific offenses that they ran.

The Air Raid and triple option are the opposite of poor ole moo u concepts. Complete opposite. Those are thinking outside the box and going against the grain.

You are the lame brain who is stuck in the old school. Mayun LeTs Go Be LiKe BaMa

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Spread the field? With what? Players? What kind of players? Ole Miss type players? Who spends more money on players, wether it be HS recruits, transfer portals, or current rostered players, us or them? So why do you want to scheme and do the same thing they do but without the same type of players across the board? Dumb.
You’re right. We should literally wait for somebody to invent that next “new scheme” that catches normal teams off guard like Leach did 30 years ago. And hope we can get a good 5 years out of it. Very sustainable.

I had to think long and hard about what you and the other guy were really saying. All I can come up with that y’all are idealists when it comes to State football and I’m not. This isn’t the world we live in.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login